Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
East Timor - Australia's non-role in it's liberati (Read 4599 times)
Brian Ross

Representative of me

Re: East Timor - Australia's non-role in it's liberati
Reply #15 - Sep 8th, 2019 at 5:22pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Sep 8th, 2019 at 4:17pm:
As I understand it the undersea oil field straddles both Australian and Timorese territorial waters. So it is just Timorese oil. let's hope Indonesia doesn't start suck it up because effectively they'll be stealing our oil.

"Our oil"?  You don't think that the East Timorese might have something to say about that?   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #16 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 10:18am

As I understand it the undersea oil field straddles both Australian and Timorese territorial waters. So it is just Timorese oil. let's hope Indonesia doesn't start suck it up because effectively they'll be stealing our oil.

That is correct, the problem is that how do you define the split. Personally, I'd favour if 30% of the field is in East Timor waters, they get 30% of the profit, if 20% is in Australia, we get 20% of the profits, and the we split the rest.

Problem is, oil companies are playing hardball to try and nick more profits.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #17 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 10:27am

UnSubRocky wrote on Sep 8th, 2019 at 10:38am:
Well, East Timor seems to be a basketcase country that is reliant on the world to keep their country afloat. And Australia seems to be the country that has to bail out the East Timorese. It seems realistic that we collect the profits from oil revenue that is in the East Timor region.

Do you have any understanding as to why it may well be "a basketcase" country?

In terms of their own independence and thus ability to run things on their own, they are a toddler. It was colonised by the Portuguese in the 16th century and was run by them up until 1975, with a few years in between of Japanese occupation. After that the Indonesians took over, and when independence occurred, the Indonesians destroyed just about everything they could.

There is for instance still a belief that the Dili National Hospital is not somewhere you want to go, more people go to the clinic a US doctor set up in the 1980s. This was because during the occupation the Indonesian military would routinely patrol the hospital looking for resistance fighters who may have been injured to round up and shoot.

Even outside assistance is a pain in the ass, in that we don't give them enough help to completely solve a problem. Plus everything is interlinked. E.g the education is lagging behind, because the children only do 4.5 hours of schooling and get out at 1 pm. Why? because they have to help their parents with the subsistence farming, or their shops etc, this is because the profits are so low, they can't afford to hire people, so unemployment is high. Because its subsistence farming, the nutrition is poor, so not only is there physical retardation, there is also mental retardation, which then feeds back into hte education system.

Its not an easy path for Timor Leste (I single handedly refuse to use East Timor. But to suggest its a basketcase speaks to the usual first world mentality surrounding developing nations.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Sep 9th, 2019 at 4:58pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Sep 9th, 2019 at 10:18am:

That is correct, the problem is that how do you define the split. Personally, I'd favour if 30% of the field is in East Timor waters, they get 30% of the profit, if 20% is in Australia, we get 20% of the profits, and the we split the rest.

They aren't trying to nick more of anything because most of the oil field is Australian territorial waters. About three quarters.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #19 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 7:34am

Mr Hammer wrote on Sep 9th, 2019 at 4:58pm:
Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Sep 9th, 2019 at 10:18am:

They aren't trying to nick more of anything because most of the oil field is Australian territorial waters. About three quarters.

About 20 percent is in Timor waters, I'm lead to believe, yet they don't get 20% of the profits. Comfortable with that?

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #20 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 4:41pm

Brian Ross wrote on Sep 8th, 2019 at 4:08pm:
Well, East Timor seems to be a basketcase country that is reliant on the world to keep their country afloat. And Australia seems to be the country that has to bail out the East Timorese. It seems realistic that we collect the profits from oil revenue that is in the East Timor region.

If you believe that, then I take it you're not in favour of Australia baling out the East Timorese?

I am in favour of East Timor standing on their own without the need for other countries to bail them out of their self-inflicted problems. Helping East Timor achieve independence is one thing. But, the help should have ended over 10 years ago. Letting the East Timorese be a burden on the Australian taxpayer is something that should not happen. bugger them if they don't like Australia making money off of oil and gas in the region.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #21 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 5:01pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Sep 9th, 2019 at 10:27am:
Its not an easy path for Timor Leste (I single handedly refuse to use East Timor. But to suggest its a basketcase speaks to the usual first world mentality surrounding developing nations.

200 years ago, our new Australian settlers had got their act together and made the settlement first-world society. Atleast, a first world society in terms of what an 1820s era could give them. Perhaps a higher standard of living than what much of England and the Americas could exhibit. This, on top of the fact that the only supplies they could get would take about 6 months to get to them. The how-to develop a settlement already established in their psyche. The tools available. The need to survive well and truly motivating them. And they managed to do this in isolation from outside help (atleast in terms of nobody to help them for thousands of nautical miles).

The East Timorese, you can tell me all sorts of stories. I had a book on the East Timorese road to independence and what they had to go through. Unfortunately, I have not seen the book around my house for over 10 years. But, seriously, how long does it take a country, with a first world country next door to help them, get their act together?

I can imagine that the East Timorese' education is impeded by the need to manage their farms. But they have been doing that for the last few hundred years.

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #22 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 5:39pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Sep 10th, 2019 at 4:41pm:

If you believe that, then I take it you're not in favour of Australia baling out the East Timorese?

I am in favour of East Timor standing on their own without the need for other countries to bail them out of their self-inflicted problems. Helping East Timor achieve independence is one thing. But, the help should have ended over 10 years ago. Letting the East Timorese be a burden on the Australian taxpayer is something that should not happen. bugger them if they don't like Australia making money off of oil and gas in the region.

Tell us, what do you believe about first world countries next door to Timor Leste who actively seek to cheat them out of their legal income from the oil fields they have own by bugging their negotiating team, by stealing their oil, UnSub?  Do you believe that is fair or just?  'cause that is essentially what Australia was found to be doing.  Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 7:24pm

Brian Ross wrote on Sep 10th, 2019 at 5:39pm:

Tell us, what do you believe about first world countries next door to Timor Leste who actively seek to cheat them out of their legal income from the oil fields they have own by bugging their negotiating team, by stealing their oil, UnSub?  Do you believe that is fair or just?  'cause that is essentially what Australia was found to be doing.  Roll Eyes

Protecting Australia's interests is not cheating. ANd it wasn't their 'legal income' since Australia has done most of the exploring, investing, extraction, liberation, financial propping up of a barely viable half island a couple of whose sons went to uni in Portugal and had 'national' aspirations.

Emotionally incontinent formulations like yours here and elsewhere prove only one thing, Bwian.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #24 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 8:33pm

Frank wrote on Sep 10th, 2019 at 7:24pm:

Protecting Australia's interests is not cheating. ANd it wasn't their 'legal income' since Australia has done most of the exploring, investing, extraction, liberation, financial propping up of a barely viable half island a couple of whose sons went to uni in Portugal and had 'national' aspirations.

Soren, there is what is considered fair and just in negotiations and what isn't.  Australia acted unfair and unjustly in negotiating the oil leases with Timor Leste.  Time you recognised that,as the World Court did.  Australia was caught out, fair and square.

There is a world of difference between "protecting our interests" and cheating, Soren.

Quote:
Emotionally incontinent formulations like yours here and elsewhere prove only one thing, Bwian.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #25 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 9:55pm

If Australia did not try to take advantage of our neighbours from time to time, we would probably be speaking Indonesian by now.

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #26 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 10:56pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Sep 10th, 2019 at 9:55pm:

If Australia did not try to take advantage of our neighbours from time to time, we would probably be speaking Indonesian by now.

Really?  Why?  Indonesia has never shown any serious interest in attempting to invade Australia.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 11:25pm

Brian Ross wrote on Sep 10th, 2019 at 8:33pm:
Frank wrote on Sep 10th, 2019 at 7:24pm:
[quote author=WorldSacred link=1567054186/11#11 date=1567903133]Well, East Timor seems to be a basketcase country that is reliant on the world to keep their country afloat. And Australia seems to be the country that has to bail out the East Timorese. It seems realistic that we collect the profits from oil revenue that is in the East Timor region.

Soren, there is what is considered fair and just in negotiations and what isn't.  Australia acted unfair and unjustly in negotiating the oil leases with Timor Leste.  Time you recognised that,as the World Court did.  Australia was caught out, fair and square.

There is a world of difference between "protecting our interests" and cheating, Soren.

[quote]

If Australia thought East Timor was making unfair claims then it was natural to seek ways to protect and promote Australia's own interests.

The Chinese are listening in and stealing Western intellectual property. Every embassy is bugged, one way or another. In grass huts it's easier to detect it.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #28 - Sep 11th, 2019 at 7:38am

UnSubRocky wrote on Sep 10th, 2019 at 5:01pm:

200 years ago, our new Australian settlers had got their act together and made the settlement first-world society. Atleast, a first world society in terms of what an 1820s era could give them. Perhaps a higher standard of living than what much of England and the Americas could exhibit. This, on top of the fact that the only supplies they could get would take about 6 months to get to them. The how-to develop a settlement already established in their psyche. The tools available. The need to survive well and truly motivating them. And they managed to do this in isolation from outside help (atleast in terms of nobody to help them for thousands of nautical miles).

The East Timorese, you can tell me all sorts of stories. I had a book on the East Timorese road to independence and what they had to go through. Unfortunately, I have not seen the book around my house for over 10 years. But, seriously, how long does it take a country, with a first world country next door to help them, get their act together?

I can imagine that the East Timorese' education is impeded by the need to manage their farms. But they have been doing that for the last few hundred years.

And how long did that take, at least 100 years.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #29 - Sep 11th, 2019 at 1:07pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Sep 11th, 2019 at 7:38am:
UnSubRocky wrote on Sep 10th, 2019 at 5:01pm:

And how long did that take, at least 100 years.

As explained, it took Australia about 30 years to have sufficiently first-world living conditions after the first fleet arrived. I don't believe East Timor needs that amount of time to get to first world living conditions.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print