freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Islam vs freedom
Reply #210 - Jul 30th, 2019 at 1:42pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Jul 29th, 2019 at 2:13pm:
freediver wrote on Jul 29th, 2019 at 12:44pm:
Judaism does not have the dominant religious figurehead that Islam, Christianity and most other religions have. So the religion itself is a tough target for comedy, even if Jews themselves are not.

It has to be comedy?

Hitler had the whole jew-mocking-through-film thing down-pat, and he didn't use comedy. Which is why I asked if you could imagine that sort of template could/would be repeated today by Hollywood. Your response went from 'me no speaka-da English' to 'its probably too boring'. You went out of your way to avoid acknowledging, even though its obvious to everyone, that jew mocking in the entertainment industry is at least, and probably more taboo than mocking Islam.

I'm not talking about taboos. I'm talking about getting your head shopped off. The Jews present a good counter-example to Islam of how to respond to this sort of thing without resorting to violence.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #211 - Jul 30th, 2019 at 2:09pm

freediver wrote on Jul 30th, 2019 at 1:42pm:
I'm not talking about taboos. I'm talking about getting your head shopped off.

No, you are conflating taboo with head chopping, and failing to distinguish between the two. Or in other words, there is nothing to suggest that Hollywood shies away from muslim mocking because of fear of jihadis, and everything to suggest they do so because they consider it as taboo as jew mocking - for reasons that have little to do with fear of violence.

freediver wrote on Jul 30th, 2019 at 1:42pm:
The Jews present a good counter-example to Islam of how to respond to this sort of thing without resorting to violence.

As I keep reminding you, jew/judaism mocking does not exist in mainstream western entertainment. So we have no example to know how they would react.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #212 - Jul 31st, 2019 at 10:28am

The mocking exists. You just don't hear about it because no one gets killed. Innocence of  Muslims was hardly mainstream Hollywood but still people died.

Do you think a mainstream Hollywood movie mocking Muhammad would illicit a bigger or smaller response from the head hackers than Charlie hebdo, Rushdie, van Gogh etc?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #213 - Jul 31st, 2019 at 11:24am

freediver wrote on Jul 31st, 2019 at 10:28am:
The mocking exists. You just don't hear about it because no one gets killed.

No it doesn't. You don't hear about it because the powerful and well funded jewish lobbies in the west have ensured that even legitimate criticism of jews or judaism - particularly in relation to the state of Israel - results in relentless public shaming of the perpetrators as that most dastardly of beasts (drumroll) - an antisemite. It has resulted in the creation of such cultural norms as the banning of holocaust denial and police kicking down the doors of people who mock jews on facebook.

Obviously an institution like Hollywood who is so deeply reliant on a good public image and patronage from big business would be about the most vulnerable to such a threat.

freediver wrote on Jul 31st, 2019 at 10:28am:
Do you think a mainstream Hollywood movie mocking Muhammad would illicit a bigger or smaller response from the head hackers than Charlie hebdo, Rushdie, van Gogh etc?

The headhackers will always look for something to be outraged over, and they will likely find it regardless of what Hollywood produce. If its not a Muhammad mocking film, it will be over an obscure American pastor threatening to burn the Quran. The point is, a Hollywood movie about mocking Muhammad is as likely as a Hollywood remake of The Eternal Jew - ie not at all. And it will be for exactly the same reason, which is not fear of the head hackers.

Its funny that even now you still refuse to acknowledge that while Hollywood refuses to indulge in something that is the most offensive to muslims, they are also refusing to indulge in the equivalent for jews - arguably even more so. If you ever do decide to acknowledge that, you will also acknowledge that the aversion has nothing to do with fear of head hackers. And no, simply repeating the argument "but surely the head hackers will respond if they make it" - does not refute that.
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2019 at 11:42am by polite_gandalf »  

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #214 - Jul 31st, 2019 at 12:52pm

South Park routinely mocks Judaism and Christianity, G. When they did a show on Muhammed, Fox banned it. Fox didn't "want to offend" Muslim viewers.

Why? I'd say because of the possibility Fox Studios could be bombed.

You?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #215 - Jul 31st, 2019 at 2:26pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Jul 31st, 2019 at 12:52pm:
South Park routinely mocks Judaism

Such as? Is it anything equivalent to the level of offensiveness that muslims would feel over Muhammad mocking? I'm sceptical.

Notice that not even FD can refute the fact that muslims and even Islam is routinely mocked in western entertainment (exhibit A - 4 lions). So he narrows the criteria right down to Muhammad mocking only. We all agree that its difficult to think of a jewish equivalent in terms of offensiveness, but I would start with the good old early 20th century Nazi tropes: jews=vermin, greedy hook-nosed bankers molesting innocent girls while stealing money etc. Does any such equivalent even exist, let alone become "routine" in western entertainment? I don't think so.

Of course the problem is that we forbid framing muslims and Islam in racial terms - unlike how we treat the jews. So when people attack Islam by being racist, the easy retort is "its ok - Islam is not a race". Anti-Islam tropes mocking Muhammad are never allowed to be interpreted as racist attacks - even when the most vile alleged behaviour of Muhammad (pedophile, child molestor) is so blatantly generalised as the standard behaviour of muslim men today (as was the case with Innocence of Muslims). Yet when jews are attacked with racism (anti-semitism) its very rightly condemned as offensive and racist. So of course when Hollywood and most others in the entertainment industry make a stand against racist attacks against muslims, it can only ever be seen as some intellectual cowering against legitimate criticism of ideas. Cause you know, Islam is not a race. Yet funnily enough, we have the maturity to understand how easy it is to blur the distinction between legitimate criticism of ideas/religion and outright racism when it comes to jews - to the extent that even disputing a particular detail of history is considered a racist attack.
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2019 at 2:32pm by polite_gandalf »  

Quote:

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #217 - Jul 31st, 2019 at 3:32pm

What a shame the Communalism riots which occur semi-regularly in India, Bangladesh and elsewhere in Asia overturns your premise Moses.  Hindus don't get on with other religious groups all that well.  Jews, in Israel don't necessarily get on with other religions either, even themselves.  Ultra-Orthodox Jews are particularly combative against other Jewish denomination groups.  Christians, also often riot against other religious groups - what else could you call the Pogroms of Eastern Europe and Russia?   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #218 - Jul 31st, 2019 at 7:53pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jul 31st, 2019 at 3:32pm:
What a shame the Communalism riots which occur semi-regularly in India, Bangladesh and elsewhere in Asia overturns your premise Moses.  Hindus don't get on with other religious groups all that well.  Jews, in Israel don't necessarily get on with other religions either, even themselves.  Ultra-Orthodox Jews are particularly combative against other Jewish denomination groups.  Christians, also often riot against other religious groups - what else could you call the Pogroms of Eastern Europe and Russia?   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

So 'multiculturlism' hasn't worked anywhere - yet pricks like you are hot for it to try it and then have it FAIL here too!! You want to import religious, ethnic, racial strife in the name of 'diversity'.

'Diversity' is a weasel word for the erosion of common values and a sense of common destiny and fellowship. Yet as society must have social solidarity which means agreed values, aims, ways to compromise, ways to be of the same group - assimilation, in short.

But the right-on fuuker-uppers of Western societies like you are hellbent on destroying social solidarity as a 'wacist' construct and thereby sacrificing it to 'diversity' which has not produced one single benefit anyone can point to in history. It's a con and a lie. Aborigines are pissed off about the 'diversity' they were introduced to in 1788. Third worlders everywhere are pissed off about the 'diversity' of Western cultural influence.

But Westerners must never be pissed off about the social and cultural; degradation brought upon them by third worlders because its is labelled 'diversity'.

It's Orwellian on an epic scale.

« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2019 at 8:07pm by Frank »  

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #219 - Jul 31st, 2019 at 7:59pm

Frank wrote on Jul 31st, 2019 at 7:53pm:

So 'multiculturlism' hasn't worked anywhere - yet pricks like you are hot for it to try it and then have it FAIL here too!! You want to import religious, ethnic, racial strife in the name of 'diversity'.

Multiculturalism works in Australia, Soren.  Look outside, look at the society around you.  It is a Multicultural society.  I know you hate the idea of living next door to someone who isn't Aryan but sorry, thats just tough for you.  Multiculturalism works for most Australians most of the time, which is all you can ask of any Government policy.    Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2019 at 10:17pm by Brian Ross »  

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #220 - Jul 31st, 2019 at 8:09pm

Frank wrote on Jul 31st, 2019 at 7:53pm:

'Diversity' is a weasel word for the erosion of common values and a sense of common destiny and fellowship. Yet as society must have social solidarity which means agreed values, aims, ways to compromise, ways to be of the same group - assimilation, in short.

But the right-on fuuker-uppers of Western societies like you are hellbent on destroying social solidarity as a 'wacist' construct and thereby sacrificing it to 'diversity' which has not produced one single benefit anyone can point to in history. It's a con and a lie. Aborigines are pissed off about the 'diversity' they were introduced to in 1788. Third worlders everywhere are pissed off about the 'diversity' of Western cultural influence.

But Westerners must never be pissed off about the social and cultural; degradation brought upon them by third worlders because its is labelled 'diversity'.

It's Orwellian on an epic scale.

We are 10-15 years behind the US and UK in social and demographic unfolding. Both places are being torn apart before our eyes because of race and cultural 'diversity' - ie cultural and social hostility and utter erosion of a common destiny and common set of values that all can share and work and seek compromise within.

Australians are laid back but the demographic transformation will also become unbearable here in about 5 years.  The cult of 'diversity' must be brought down, it's a lie. Assimilate or don't come.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #221 - Aug 1st, 2019 at 9:13am

Frank wrote on Jul 31st, 2019 at 8:09pm:
Both places are being torn apart before our eyes because of race and cultural 'diversity'

Torn apart? On what basis?

crime rates have been on a steady decline across the western world for decades. Prosperity and living standards have been steadily increasing

On just about any actually tangible measure you can come up with (as opposed to something utterly intangible and frankly complete nonsense like "a common destiny and common set of values that all can share and work and seek compromise within") - the western world, where multiculturalism is practiced, never had it better.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #222 - Aug 1st, 2019 at 9:24am

polite_gandalf wrote on Jul 31st, 2019 at 2:26pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on Jul 31st, 2019 at 12:52pm:
South Park routinely mocks Judaism

Such as? Is it anything equivalent to the level of offensiveness that muslims would feel over Muhammad mocking? I'm sceptical.

Notice that not even FD can refute the fact that muslims and even Islam is routinely mocked in western entertainment (exhibit A - 4 lions). So he narrows the criteria right down to Muhammad mocking only. We all agree that its difficult to think of a jewish equivalent in terms of offensiveness, but I would start with the good old early 20th century Nazi tropes: jews=vermin, greedy hook-nosed bankers molesting innocent girls while stealing money etc. Does any such equivalent even exist, let alone become "routine" in western entertainment? I don't think so.

Of course the problem is that we forbid framing muslims and Islam in racial terms - unlike how we treat the jews. So when people attack Islam by being racist, the easy retort is "its ok - Islam is not a race". Anti-Islam tropes mocking Muhammad are never allowed to be interpreted as racist attacks - even when the most vile alleged behaviour of Muhammad (pedophile, child molestor) is so blatantly generalised as the standard behaviour of muslim men today (as was the case with Innocence of Muslims). Yet when jews are attacked with racism (anti-semitism) its very rightly condemned as offensive and racist. So of course when Hollywood and most others in the entertainment industry make a stand against racist attacks against muslims, it can only ever be seen as some intellectual cowering against legitimate criticism of ideas. Cause you know, Islam is not a race. Yet funnily enough, we have the maturity to understand how easy it is to blur the distinction between legitimate criticism of ideas/religion and outright racism when it comes to jews - to the extent that even disputing a particular detail of history is considered a racist attack.

Of course it is not equivalent to the level of offensiveness that Muslims would feel. That's the point. Islam turns Muslims into irrational head hacking lunatics. Your emotional response is not an objective measure of the mockery directed at you. It is only a measure of your inability to control your emotions.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #223 - Aug 1st, 2019 at 9:45am

freediver wrote on Aug 1st, 2019 at 9:24am:
Of course it is not equivalent to the level of offensiveness that Muslims would feel. That's the point.

You seem to be drawing the far-fetched conclusion that jews are not in fact a 'protected species' in terms of ridiculing and mocking - in the eyes of western culture - but rather are just better at dealing with it than muslims. Instead of the obvious and common sense conclusion that any ridiculing and mocking of an anti-jewish nature is avoided like the plague.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #224 - Aug 1st, 2019 at 9:57am

Gandalf you are either being disingenuous or you have been living under a rock. You could not find a worse example to make your case. South Park is riddled with anti-semitism. You would struggle to find a single episode where it is absent. It is also the only example I can think of where Judaism itself is mocked. They depict Moses as a rotating, glowing, gem-like thing. Kind of lame if I recall correctly, but they tried. They have a character called Jesus that is often used to mock Christianity. The Blaintology episode in particular is funny. They absolutely destroy Mormonism in one episode, and also go after scientology I think.

Take any taboo you can think of, and chances are there is a South Park episode that does not just touch it, but drags it into a dark alley and rapes it. Then gets up the next morning and posts a video of its exploits on youtube.

All that is, except Islam. Since the Muhammad cartoon controversy, South Park has been forced to censor images of Muhammad. I think there was one brief depiction before that where he was depicted among a large group of religious figures.

Gandalf, if you were a betting man, what would you say the odds would be of Trey Parker or Matt Stone being assassinated if they did to Islam what they did to Mormonism?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 19
Send Topic Print