Islam vs freedom (Read 21307 times)
polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Re: Islam vs freedom
Reply #150 - Jun 25th, 2019 at 3:06pm

freediver wrote on Jun 25th, 2019 at 9:02am:
Because I didn't think you would try to tell me that movies are made on youtube.

Epic facepalm.

Sounds like two different questions to me Gandalf.

Bingo FD - aka 'shifting the goalposts'.

Which one is closest to passing for a movie?

To your absurdly narrow definition? None. To everyone elses, probably thousands or more.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #151 - Jun 25th, 2019 at 9:16pm

Quote:
Shall I engage a lawyer next time I want to ask you a question?

Good idea, FD.

Aussie, would you mind asking FD a question? He keeps running away.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #152 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 1:17pm

Quote:
Epic facepalm.

Are you suggesting I ought to anticipate the specific manifastation of your slippery evasiveness?

Quote:
Bingo FD - aka 'shifting the goalposts'.

Am I supposed to start a new thread for every question in an effort to avoid this idiocy?

Quote:
To your absurdly narrow definition? None. To everyone elses, probably thousands or more.

You didn't answer the question Gandalf. Which of those youtube clips do you think comes closest to passing for a movie?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #153 - Jun 28th, 2019 at 6:32pm

freediver wrote on Jun 26th, 2019 at 1:17pm:
Are you suggesting I ought to anticipate the specific manifastation of your slippery evasiveness?

I'm suggesting that when you ask a question about "movies", with no qualification, you ought to anticipate the specific manifestation of any type of movie - including, nay especially, the most popular forms of today - ie youtube.

Am I supposed to start a new thread for every question in an effort to avoid this idiocy?

no, you can just concede the point when you are proven wrong, and move on to another topic if you so wish. What you are not "supposed" to do is shift the parameters of your argument every time it is disproven - and pretend its what you really meant all along.

You didn't answer the question Gandalf. Which of those youtube clips do you think comes closest to passing for a movie?

I did answer, sorry if it was unclear - here it is again:

(hint: I actually think the correct answer is "thousands" - the giveaway being 'everyone else [except you]' but included your absurd option for dramatic effect - to demonstrate how, you know, absurd it is)

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #154 - Jun 28th, 2019 at 6:57pm

Muslim jihadis do not have to pursue every Youtuber, writer, cartoonist who mocks, belittles or dismisses Mohammed, Islam, the Koran and the rest. They just need to target a few, kill them or sue them and let the others watch.  This way self-censorship kicks in pretty effectively.

It is ALWAYS freedom that has to make compromises for Islam. Islam, being a frozen, rigid, petrified creed, will never make a compromise with freedom because it would collapse before our very eyes if it did.  Islam, like all frozen things, is extremely fragile and its violent response to such peripheral trivialities as cartoons, movies and novels is a sure sign of that terrified fragility. Islam has no intellectual depth, no intellectually convincing argument on its side so it responds with violence. Fatwahs - 'let the imam do thee thinking for you" - are the codes for its violent response to every kind of question and reasoning outside its 7th century mindset.

This is what happens when an illiterate man codifies in a 'book' the lives of his fellow illiterates who are then obliged to fetishise that 'book'. Islam is the most startling example of 'mind forged manacles' in our time. Little surprise that so many of them become suicidal.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #155 - Jun 28th, 2019 at 6:59pm

Quote:
I'm suggesting that when you ask a question about "movies", with no qualification, you ought to anticipate the specific manifestation of any type of movie - including, nay especially, the most popular forms of today - ie youtube.

I have never watched an entire movie on youtube. Nor do I think they are made on youtube, as you suggest.

Quote:
no, you can just concede the point when you are proven wrong, and move on to another topic if you so wish.

It was a question Gandalf. Misunderstanding it, or deliberately misinterpreting it, is not proving it wrong.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #156 - Jun 28th, 2019 at 7:19pm

freediver wrote on Jun 28th, 2019 at 6:59pm:
Nor do I think they are made on youtube

Grin Grin

Shall we start with the definition of "movie"? (hint - its not a byword for "Hollywood")

freediver wrote on Jun 28th, 2019 at 6:59pm:
It was a question Gandalf.

Thanks for clarifying FD. And consider it answered - no you would not have any (rational) reason to fear assassination if you "starred in a movie" mocking Muhammad. This includes the most popular form of movie today - youtube/social media productions.

Would you like to shift the goalposts now?

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #157 - Jun 28th, 2019 at 7:22pm

So that's your evasion and you are sticking to it? Normally you like to flip flop between evasions.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #158 - Jun 28th, 2019 at 7:24pm

you seem to have a funny understanding of 'evasion' FD.

It seems to be along the lines of "directly and specifically responding to your question".

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #159 - Jun 28th, 2019 at 7:29pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Jun 28th, 2019 at 7:24pm:
you seem to have a funny understanding of 'evasion' FD.

It seems to be along the lines of "directly and specifically responding to your question".

Do I have to start a new thread to ask a different question, or to clarify that movie does not mean youtube clip?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #160 - Jun 28th, 2019 at 7:37pm

Oh FD, if you wanted to ask specifically about Hollywood movies, then I will gladly answer.

Oh wait, I already have, repeatedly: Hollywood movie makers embarking on, or acting in a Muhammad mocking film won't have any rational reason to fear assassination either. What they absolutely *SHOULD* fear though is their career in the movie making industry coming to a grinding halt - for exactly the same reason as any Hollywood maker of a judaism-mocking, or just about any non-christian religious mocking film should fear. They will be hounded out of the industry not by jihadists, but by non-muslim PC police (for want of a better term).

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #161 - Jun 28th, 2019 at 10:23pm

When you said that an actor who starred in a movie mocking Muhammad would be fine in Indonesia or Malaysia, did you actually mean a short youtube clip?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #162 - Jun 29th, 2019 at 12:19am

freediver wrote on Jun 28th, 2019 at 10:23pm:
When you said that an actor who starred in a movie mocking Muhammad would be fine in Indonesia or Malaysia, did you actually mean a short youtube clip?

Either FD.

Unlike you, I was not secretly restricting my criteria. When I answer a question about "movie" with no qualifications, thats what I'll talk about - movies in all forms.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #163 - Jun 29th, 2019 at 8:07am

And the cases of Salman Rushdie and Theo Van Gogh cannot penetrate this delusion?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 19
Send Topic Print