Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14
Send Topic Print
Islam Is Compatible With Women’s Rights (Read 27070 times)
moses
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Islam Is Compatible With Women’s Rights
Reply #120 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:00pm

womens' rights today 2017 in the real islamic world:

qur'an 4.34: Men are the maintainers of women because allah has made some of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as allah has guarded; and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in the sleeping-places and beat them; then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely allah is high, great.

The woman leading the conversation, who is identified as Sydney teacher Reem Allouche, says a man is permitted to hit a woman as an act of discipline, and fellow panellist Atika Latifi, agrees.

Egyptian cleric the rules for wifebeating.

islam wife beating is honourable

islam men have authority over women may beat them

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #121 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:05pm

What a weird religion, blow em up.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #122 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 7:45pm

Johnnie wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 5:41pm:
cods wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 5:21pm:
Johnnie wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 4:32pm:
Islam is being reeled in around the west, this stuff cant go on for to much longer or the only answer would be to kill them.

isnt that what the radicals say about us...jeez.

Dog eat dog, kill or be killed, I am going to sharpen up my sabre just in case.

will you strike first.... just in case?

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #123 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 10:30am

Frank wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 6:09pm:
mothra wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 1:21pm:
No Rhino. The point is that women's rights are compatible with Islam.

I'm beginning to wonder if you lot  understand the meaning of the word "compatible".

How is the Koranic OK to beat your wife and for women to be worth half a man in law and in inheritance compatible, in your mind, with women's rights?

Women's rights to be lesser beings in law, in religion, in society  is now 'compatible' with your understanding of equal dignity for women??

To what lengths are you prepared to go to deny that you are eating, in public, a massive turd sandwich, Mothra??

I've already answered this question,yet it shouldn't really need answering. You should be able to come up with an explanation all by yourself.

Perhaps people interpret things differently to you, Frank?

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #124 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 10:32am

Baronvonrort wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 6:35pm:
cods wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 5:59pm:
Baronvonrort wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 5:50pm:
Womens rights in Islam-
quran.com/4/34

Wife beating in Islam explained by muslims, it's allowed by Allah the most merciful of those who show mercy.
youtube.com/results?search_query=wife+beating+islam

I have no idea why women defend this religion.  Roll Eyes

I dont think mothra is defending Islam as such.. she is claiming its changing and of course well it might..

it is of course waiting for MEN to change...lol..

I think its high time women stood up and said..
bugger this I have had enough I will talk to whom I want to.. I will drive a bloody car.. I will wear short sleeves and no head scarf... i will i will i will..

when they come to a country like ours look at the opportunity they have to break free from something that is entirely man made...Sharia Law..

it really is bizarre but I cant see much changing in the near future..I admire mothras belief that it is though..

nothing wrong with that...

Mothra is always defending Islam and muslims.

Don't tell muslims sharia law is man made they believe sharia law is gods laws.

The prophet of Islam says women have deficient minds.
Sunnah.com/bukhari/52/22

Didn't read the article in the OP, did you.

Give it a read and then we can go from there.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #125 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 10:36am

freediver wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 6:46pm:
mothra wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 12:38pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 12:31pm:
mothra wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 11:59am:
freediver wrote on Apr 12th, 2017 at 6:33pm:
mothra wrote on Apr 11th, 2017 at 10:29pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 11th, 2017 at 10:21pm:
mothra wrote on Apr 11th, 2017 at 10:17pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 11th, 2017 at 10:15pm:
mothra wrote on Apr 11th, 2017 at 10:00pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 11th, 2017 at 9:55pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 11th, 2017 at 9:33pm:
mothra wrote on Apr 11th, 2017 at 12:21pm:
These People Are Showing That Islam Is Compatible With Women’s Rights

TUNIS, Tunisia — A group of 30 imams and Islamic scholars, both men and women, recently gathered around a table to do something historic. Our goal is to find a better way forward for women and girls and to inoculate radicalism in a Muslim country that has, for hundreds of years, been a model progressive nation.

Can you give some examples of how Tunisia has been a model progressive country for hundreds of years? Slavery persisted there until the beginning of the 20th century, despite the best efforts of the French. Is it only progressive when compared to other Muslim countries, many of which still practice slavery under the approval of Islam?

Did you read this before posting Mothra? Did you hear a little voice inside you saying 'bullshit'?

Not at all FD. Tunisia is every bit as progressive towards women as Australia. Women have been specifically represented by laws for decades.

How long have women been specifically represented by law in Australia, FD?

I didn't realise we had separate laws for women Mothra.

Can you explain how Tunisia has "for hundreds of years, been a model progressive nation"?

So this is you confirming that you can't google then.

I did google it. The first thing I found was that slavery persisted there until the beginning of the 20th century, despite the best efforts of the French. Can you explain how you go from there, to Tunisia has "for hundreds of years, been a model progressive nation"?

Do you consider slavery to be a progressive model?

I'm not particularly interested in indulging you and your obvious design to railroad this thread and divert it from it's intended purpose, PD. It is noted, however, that you have been unable or unwilling to post on-topic.

I'll leave you with this though. Do we currently have slavery in Australia?

Your opening post, in the opening paragraph, contains a statement that is clearly false. It is so false it is absurd. It demonstrates the moral flexibility required to become a staunch apologist for Islam. When you speak up in defense of Islam, it becomes another opposite day.

Still deflecting on irrelevancies is i see.

But you avoided the question. Do we still have slavery in Australia?

And at what point do you consider Australia became "progressive"?

No we do not have slavery. Do you think lying about the enslavement of women in Tunisia's recent past helps the cause of women's rights?

Oh but we most certainly do, FD. Sex slavery; slavery within marriages; immigrant workers etc.

Do you think lying about it's existence helps the cause of these poor people?

When do you consider Australia became progressive?

Is that the sort of slavery you think they had in Tunisia until recently? Or do you think it might have been the type where you could wander down to the market place on a Wednesday afternoon, purchase yourself a young girl, then bring her back the next week to sell on if she didn't perform well enough?

How would you know? You only just found out that Australia still has slavery at all.

What are you pinning this on, FD? That we have a more sophisticated form of slavery than Tunisia had?

Whilst your educating yourself on slavery in Australia, see if you can find some details of the very legal form of slavery we had up until the 1970s.

But you never answered, when do you consider Australia became progressive?
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2017 at 10:42am by mothra »  

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #126 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 10:37am

Frank wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 7:06pm:
mothra wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 1:10pm:
Such ignorance. You know not all Mosques segregate the sexes, yeah? There are even female Imams. Rare, but they exist. Are there female priests within the Catholic church, Rhino?

Er... there are in the Anglican, Lutheran, Uniting Churches.

Since when is Catholicism the counterpart of Islam?

And there are female Imams.

What is your point?

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #127 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 12:44pm

'Islam Is Compatible With Women’s Rights'

- mothra

Quote:

Sharia Councils and Sexual Abuse in Britain

by Khadija Khan
April 14, 2017

As bad as this is, there is an even darker side to the story: Under sharia law, the second husband is under no obligation to give his wife a quick divorce – allowing him to keep her as his virtual sex slave for as long as he wishes.

If one asks how all of this jibes with British law, the answer is that it does not.

The UK-based NGO, Muslim Women's Network, penned an open letter -- with 100 signatories -- to the British government and Home Affairs Select Committee demanding that the Sharia Council be investigated to determine whether its practices adhere to British law. In response, the Sharia Council declared the letter to be "Islamophobic" and accused the Muslim Women's Network of being an anti-Muslim organization.

It is British law, not sharia, law that protects Muslim individuals and couples, as it does any other citizen. Contrary to what apologists for this travesty say, the plight of Muslim women should be treated as an issue of human rights.

The most recent scandal surrounding the sexual exploitation of Muslim women by Islamic religious leaders in the UK is yet further proof of the way in which Britain is turning a blind eye to horrific practices going on right under its nose.

A BBC investigation into "halala" -- a ritual enabling a divorced Muslim woman to remarry her husband by first wedding someone else, consummating the union, and then being divorced by him -- revealed that imams in Britain are not only encouraging this, but profiting financially from it. This depravity has led to many such women being held hostage, literally and figuratively, to men paid to become their second husbands.

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/10191/sharia-councils-sexual-abuse

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #128 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 2:16pm

mothra wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 12:01pm:
Frank wrote on Apr 12th, 2017 at 9:33pm:
They are lying and/or are deluded, just like you.

You cannot simultaneously accept Islam (women are worth half of men) and be a feminist (women have equal dignity).

I know it's hard for you to understand Frank but the reality of the situation is that people re capable of interpreting things differently to you.

Staggering, no?

No, dishonest.

How do you 'interpret differently' the Islamic rulings on woman's worthlessness in comparison to men?

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #129 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 4:18pm

mothra wrote on Apr 15th, 2017 at 10:37am:
Frank wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 7:06pm:
mothra wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 1:10pm:
Such ignorance. You know not all Mosques segregate the sexes, yeah? There are even female Imams. Rare, but they exist. Are there female priests within the Catholic church, Rhino?

Er... there are in the Anglican, Lutheran, Uniting Churches.

Since when is Catholicism the counterpart of Islam?

And there are female Imams.

What is your point?

can females lead men in prayer mothra?...

at least we know there is no segregation within our churches.....just wondering that all..   I have never seen a female imam in Australia..

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #130 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 6:18pm

mothra wrote on Apr 15th, 2017 at 10:30am:
Frank wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 6:09pm:
mothra wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 1:21pm:
No Rhino. The point is that women's rights are compatible with Islam.

I'm beginning to wonder if you lot  understand the meaning of the word "compatible".

How is the Koranic OK to beat your wife and for women to be worth half a man in law and in inheritance compatible, in your mind, with women's rights?

Women's rights to be lesser beings in law, in religion, in society  is now 'compatible' with your understanding of equal dignity for women??

To what lengths are you prepared to go to deny that you are eating, in public, a massive turd sandwich, Mothra??

I've already answered this question,yet it shouldn't really need answering. You should be able to come up with an explanation all by yourself.

Perhaps people interpret things differently to you, Frank?

This should be interesting. How do you interpret the verse from the Koran that says to beat disobedient wives Mothra?

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #131 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 6:31pm

mothra wrote on Apr 15th, 2017 at 10:36am:
freediver wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 6:46pm:
mothra wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 12:38pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 12:31pm:
mothra wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 11:59am:
freediver wrote on Apr 12th, 2017 at 6:33pm:
mothra wrote on Apr 11th, 2017 at 10:29pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 11th, 2017 at 10:21pm:
mothra wrote on Apr 11th, 2017 at 10:17pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 11th, 2017 at 10:15pm:
mothra wrote on Apr 11th, 2017 at 10:00pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 11th, 2017 at 9:55pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 11th, 2017 at 9:33pm:

TUNIS, Tunisia — A group of 30 imams and Islamic scholars, both men and women, recently gathered around a table to do something historic. Our goal is to find a better way forward for women and girls and to inoculate radicalism in a Muslim country that has, for hundreds of years, been a model progressive nation.

Can you give some examples of how Tunisia has been a model progressive country for hundreds of years? Slavery persisted there until the beginning of the 20th century, despite the best efforts of the French. Is it only progressive when compared to other Muslim countries, many of which still practice slavery under the approval of Islam?

Did you read this before posting Mothra? Did you hear a little voice inside you saying 'bullshit'?

Not at all FD. Tunisia is every bit as progressive towards women as Australia. Women have been specifically represented by laws for decades.

How long have women been specifically represented by law in Australia, FD?

I didn't realise we had separate laws for women Mothra.

Can you explain how Tunisia has "for hundreds of years, been a model progressive nation"?

So this is you confirming that you can't google then.

I did google it. The first thing I found was that slavery persisted there until the beginning of the 20th century, despite the best efforts of the French. Can you explain how you go from there, to Tunisia has "for hundreds of years, been a model progressive nation"?

Do you consider slavery to be a progressive model?

I'm not particularly interested in indulging you and your obvious design to railroad this thread and divert it from it's intended purpose, PD. It is noted, however, that you have been unable or unwilling to post on-topic.

I'll leave you with this though. Do we currently have slavery in Australia?

Your opening post, in the opening paragraph, contains a statement that is clearly false. It is so false it is absurd. It demonstrates the moral flexibility required to become a staunch apologist for Islam. When you speak up in defense of Islam, it becomes another opposite day.

Still deflecting on irrelevancies is i see.

But you avoided the question. Do we still have slavery in Australia?

And at what point do you consider Australia became "progressive"?

No we do not have slavery. Do you think lying about the enslavement of women in Tunisia's recent past helps the cause of women's rights?

Oh but we most certainly do, FD. Sex slavery; slavery within marriages; immigrant workers etc.

Do you think lying about it's existence helps the cause of these poor people?

When do you consider Australia became progressive?

Is that the sort of slavery you think they had in Tunisia until recently? Or do you think it might have been the type where you could wander down to the market place on a Wednesday afternoon, purchase yourself a young girl, then bring her back the next week to sell on if she didn't perform well enough?

How would you know? You only just found out that Australia still has slavery at all.

What are you pinning this on, FD? That we have a more sophisticated form of slavery than Tunisia had?

Whilst your educating yourself on slavery in Australia, see if you can find some details of the very legal form of slavery we had up until the 1970s.

But you never answered, when do you consider Australia became progressive?

Slavery is illegal in Australia Mothra. And the authorities actively enforce the law.

Why do you describe a country in which slavery, particularly sex slavery of women captured in Europe and Africa, was practiced quite openly until last century, and which only stopped slavery because of a concerted effort from the interfering French, as being a model progressive nation for the last few centuries?

Homosexuality is still illegal in Tunisia, and they only just stopped doing forced anal tests on suspected homosexuals. Why would you describe that as being a model progressive nations for the last few centuries?

For most of the time since Freedom House began issuing its Freedom in the World ratings, Tunisia ranked near the bottom of the ratings; it consistently garnered "Not Free" rankings in all but a few years. Why would you describe that as being a model progressive nation for the last few centuries?

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #132 - Apr 20th, 2017 at 4:11pm

Really?

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #133 - May 16th, 2017 at 7:01pm

Showing?? How are they 'showing'??  By 'claiming'? Here's the reality

STEPHEN CHAVURAThe Australian12:00AM May 16, 2017
It is puzzling why more women aren’t speaking out against the latest slur on feminism: the concept of feminist Islam (“Waleed Aly’s wife Susan Carland defends Islam’s feminist credentials,” The Australian, May 11).
Indeed, if it is the case that feminism and Islam are perfectly consistent, then feminism isn’t exactly the emancipators’ movement that millions have thought it to be for a couple of hundred years now. Or perhaps Islam isn’t the repressive religion we have all thought it was.
Either you are a Muslim or you are a feminist. You cannot be both. Seriously, how can a woman call herself a feminist and believe there are occasions when a husband is perfectly justified in striking his wife from whom he fears disobedience (Koran, Sura 4:34)?
Even the utterly unconvincing attempt of the two Muslim women in a viral video some weeks ago to suggest the Koran was really talking about a symbolic beating is totally out of step with any kind of feminism as we know it today.
Seriously? A husband symbolically beating his disobedient wife with a pencil or piece of cloth as consistent with female empowerment and equality?
Maybe, but only if you are comparing it to the literal meaning of the verse, which clearly ­licenses a physical beating.
Then there are the myriad social practices around the world in Islamic countries that horribly subordinate women to men or demonise women as mere tempters of men, and who deserve what they get if they tempt a man too far. Certainly many of these practices are generated by cultural conditions other than mere religion, but these cultural conditions evolve in a dialogue with religious tenets and principles.
The stoning of women, female genital mutilation, the insufficiency of a single woman’s testimony in some sharia courts and women being punished as adulterers in cases of rape may not be explicitly commanded in the Islamic scriptures but they have arisen in a cultural context heavily inspired by Islamic teaching regarding the inferiority of women, especially morally.
If we look at the World Economic Forum’s Global Gender Gap Report 2016 we see that in the overwhelming majority of the lowest (worst) ranking 44 states in terms of women’s rights and equality, Islam is the dominant ­religion. As the list of 144 climbs up from worst to best the Islamic states become fewer and far between. The World Economic Forum’s report suggests the increased status of Islam in a country correlates inversely with the extent to which women will enjoy equal rights.
It must be admitted that these countries are also very poor, which would hardly be conducive to a wide variety of choice for women in their life pursuits. Nonetheless, countries such as Iran, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Lebanon and Egypt are relatively developed and they are among the worst.
Also, not all of the atrocious practices against women in these countries can be explained simply by way of poverty. Poverty is not responsible for the idea that a woman is a prostitute if she cannot produce credible witnesses to her rape. Something else is going on there.
Of course, correlation is not causation but so-called feminist Muslims should not be too surprised if most people — especially their fellow women in the world’s most Muslim countries — are incredulous at their insistence that the concept of Islamic feminism makes any sense.
After all, if, as Yassmin Abdel-Magied insists, Islam is the most feminist religion, then the most Islamic countries also would be showcase nations of women’s rights. Indeed, the World Economic Forum’s list would look very different, and women from around the world would be fleeing for haven to countries such as Pakistan and Saudi Arabia, where adulteresses can be sentenced to death by stoning. But they do not.
Does this mean that Islam and feminism can never be reconciled? To be honest, only history can tell, and probably stranger things have happened: witness the emergence of religious toleration movements out of Christendom in the 16th and 17th centuries.
But to say that Islam is a feminist religion makes about as much sense as saying that communism is an individualistic ideology.
Perhaps Islam will be corrupted by the West over time, and global expressions of Islam will shift towards more equal modes of gender relations during the next 50 to 100 years.
One thing is certain: the notion that Islam and contemporary feminism are mutually compatible and supporting is a greater insult to feminism than any slur the patriarchy could have conjured up. If feminists fail to respond then that in itself will be a sign that feminism has lost a lot of faith in its own cause. Maybe rightly so.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #134 - May 16th, 2017 at 7:29pm

Frank, tell me why its so offensive to you and Mr Chavura that a woman - and not you or Mr Chavura - gets to decide what her own faith means to her personally?

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14
Send Topic Print