Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14
Send Topic Print
Islam Is Compatible With Women’s Rights (Read 27107 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Islam Is Compatible With Women’s Rights
Reply #75 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 12:31pm

mothra wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 11:59am:
freediver wrote on Apr 12th, 2017 at 6:33pm:
mothra wrote on Apr 11th, 2017 at 10:29pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 11th, 2017 at 10:21pm:
mothra wrote on Apr 11th, 2017 at 10:17pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 11th, 2017 at 10:15pm:
mothra wrote on Apr 11th, 2017 at 10:00pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 11th, 2017 at 9:55pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 11th, 2017 at 9:33pm:
mothra wrote on Apr 11th, 2017 at 12:21pm:
These People Are Showing That Islam Is Compatible With Women’s Rights

TUNIS, Tunisia — A group of 30 imams and Islamic scholars, both men and women, recently gathered around a table to do something historic. Our goal is to find a better way forward for women and girls and to inoculate radicalism in a Muslim country that has, for hundreds of years, been a model progressive nation.

Can you give some examples of how Tunisia has been a model progressive country for hundreds of years? Slavery persisted there until the beginning of the 20th century, despite the best efforts of the French. Is it only progressive when compared to other Muslim countries, many of which still practice slavery under the approval of Islam?

Did you read this before posting Mothra? Did you hear a little voice inside you saying 'bullshit'?

Not at all FD. Tunisia is every bit as progressive towards women as Australia. Women have been specifically represented by laws for decades.

How long have women been specifically represented by law in Australia, FD?

I didn't realise we had separate laws for women Mothra.

Can you explain how Tunisia has "for hundreds of years, been a model progressive nation"?

So this is you confirming that you can't google then.

I did google it. The first thing I found was that slavery persisted there until the beginning of the 20th century, despite the best efforts of the French. Can you explain how you go from there, to Tunisia has "for hundreds of years, been a model progressive nation"?

Do you consider slavery to be a progressive model?

I'm not particularly interested in indulging you and your obvious design to railroad this thread and divert it from it's intended purpose, PD. It is noted, however, that you have been unable or unwilling to post on-topic.

I'll leave you with this though. Do we currently have slavery in Australia?

Your opening post, in the opening paragraph, contains a statement that is clearly false. It is so false it is absurd. It demonstrates the moral flexibility required to become a staunch apologist for Islam. When you speak up in defense of Islam, it becomes another opposite day.

Still deflecting on irrelevancies is i see.

But you avoided the question. Do we still have slavery in Australia?

And at what point do you consider Australia became "progressive"?

No we do not have slavery. Do you think lying about the enslavement of women in Tunisia's recent past helps the cause of women's rights?

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #76 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 12:38pm

freediver wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 12:31pm:
mothra wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 11:59am:
freediver wrote on Apr 12th, 2017 at 6:33pm:
mothra wrote on Apr 11th, 2017 at 10:29pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 11th, 2017 at 10:21pm:
mothra wrote on Apr 11th, 2017 at 10:17pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 11th, 2017 at 10:15pm:
mothra wrote on Apr 11th, 2017 at 10:00pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 11th, 2017 at 9:55pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 11th, 2017 at 9:33pm:
mothra wrote on Apr 11th, 2017 at 12:21pm:
These People Are Showing That Islam Is Compatible With Women’s Rights

TUNIS, Tunisia — A group of 30 imams and Islamic scholars, both men and women, recently gathered around a table to do something historic. Our goal is to find a better way forward for women and girls and to inoculate radicalism in a Muslim country that has, for hundreds of years, been a model progressive nation.

Can you give some examples of how Tunisia has been a model progressive country for hundreds of years? Slavery persisted there until the beginning of the 20th century, despite the best efforts of the French. Is it only progressive when compared to other Muslim countries, many of which still practice slavery under the approval of Islam?

Did you read this before posting Mothra? Did you hear a little voice inside you saying 'bullshit'?

Not at all FD. Tunisia is every bit as progressive towards women as Australia. Women have been specifically represented by laws for decades.

How long have women been specifically represented by law in Australia, FD?

I didn't realise we had separate laws for women Mothra.

Can you explain how Tunisia has "for hundreds of years, been a model progressive nation"?

So this is you confirming that you can't google then.

I did google it. The first thing I found was that slavery persisted there until the beginning of the 20th century, despite the best efforts of the French. Can you explain how you go from there, to Tunisia has "for hundreds of years, been a model progressive nation"?

Do you consider slavery to be a progressive model?

I'm not particularly interested in indulging you and your obvious design to railroad this thread and divert it from it's intended purpose, PD. It is noted, however, that you have been unable or unwilling to post on-topic.

I'll leave you with this though. Do we currently have slavery in Australia?

Your opening post, in the opening paragraph, contains a statement that is clearly false. It is so false it is absurd. It demonstrates the moral flexibility required to become a staunch apologist for Islam. When you speak up in defense of Islam, it becomes another opposite day.

Still deflecting on irrelevancies is i see.

But you avoided the question. Do we still have slavery in Australia?

And at what point do you consider Australia became "progressive"?

No we do not have slavery. Do you think lying about the enslavement of women in Tunisia's recent past helps the cause of women's rights?

Oh but we most certainly do, FD. Sex slavery; slavery within marriages; immigrant workers etc.

Do you think lying about it's existence helps the cause of these poor people?

When do you consider Australia became progressive?

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #77 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 12:46pm

mothra wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 12:08pm:
rhino wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 12:06pm:
Sick moment Muslim teacher demonstrates how a man should BEAT women with a stick - as Islamic group says a husband's violence towards his wife is a 'beautiful blessing'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4406670/Muslim-women-demonstrate-husband...

Yes. Barbaric.

Your point?

Obvious. Thats womens rights in Islam, the right to get beaten. And there we have women arguing for the right to get beaten, if you support "womens rights" within Islam thats what you support no matter what your intent is.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #78 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 12:52pm

rhino wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 12:46pm:
Sick moment Muslim teacher demonstrates how a man should BEAT women with a stick - as Islamic group says a husband's violence towards his wife is a 'beautiful blessing'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4406670/Muslim-women-demonstrate-husband...

Yes. Barbaric.

Your point?

Obvious. Thats womens rights in Islam, the right to get beaten. And there we have women arguing for the right to get beaten, if you support "womens rights" within Islam thats what you support no matter what your intent is.

What a preposterous argument.

You are giving n example of bad behaviour. I have at no point denied that there i bad behviour within Islam. Had you read your article, you will see that the Muslims discussed were labelled "radical".

Do you not think that word an important distinction?

I am arguing that Islam and women's rights are compatible. This is demonstrably the case for we have scholars, Imams, Muslim and men and Muslim women saying that they are advocates for women's rights. Furthermore, many of them re women's rights activists.

Why would you deny the existence of these people? Because it challenges your prejudice?

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #79 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 1:04pm

mothra wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 12:52pm:

Yes. Barbaric.

Your point?

You are giving n example of bad behaviour. I have at no point denied that there i bad behviour within Islam. Had you read your article, you will see that the Muslims discussed were labelled "radical".

I am arguing that Islam and women's rights are compatible. This is demonstrably the case for we have scholars, Imams, Muslim and men and Muslim women saying that they are advocates for women's rights. Furthermore, many of them re women's rights activists.

Why would you deny the existence of these people? Because it challenges your prejudice?
Sure, except when they are at the mosque. Or with other Muslims, then its time to fall into line with the beating your wife rules. Otherwise, death threats, beatings etc, all allowed and condoned within Islam. This type of alleged reform within Islam is a sham, for show. And you fall for it. "Useful fool", I think they call people like yourself.
Get back to us when Mosques stop forcibly separating females from males, then you can talk about "reform".

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #80 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 1:06pm

You are giving n example of bad behaviour.
No, I didnt. I gave an example of what is being taught at every single Mosque and Muslim gathering within this country. [/quote]

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #81 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 1:10pm

rhino wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 1:04pm:

Yes. Barbaric.

Your point?

Sure, except when they are at the mosque. Or with other Muslims, then its time to fall into line with the beating your wife rules. Otherwise, death threats, beatings etc, all allowed and condoned within Islam. This type of alleged reform within Islam is a sham, for show. And you fall for it. "Useful fool", I think they call people like yourself.
Get back to us when Mosques stop forcibly separating females from males, then you can talk about "reform".   

Such ignorance. You know not all Mosques segregate the sexes, yeah? There are even female Imams. Rare, but they exist. Are there female priests within the Catholic church, Rhino?

Why are you so reluctant to admit that there are modern progressive Muslims, Rhino? After all, isn't that what you want?

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #82 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 1:11pm

rhino wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 1:06pm:

You are giving n example of bad behaviour.
No, I didnt. I gave an example of what is being taught at every single Mosque and Muslim gathering within this country.

[/quote]

What absolute nonsense.

Why do you always just make stuff up?

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #83 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 1:19pm

mothra wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 1:10pm:

Yes. Barbaric.

Your point?

Such ignorance. You know not all Mosques segregate the sexes, yeah? There are even female Imams. Rare, but they exist. Are there female priests within the Catholic church, Rhino?

Why are you so reluctant to admit that there are modern progressive Muslims, Rhino? After all, isn't that what you want?

Not accepted by mainstream Islam, thats the point. and, very important point, what women Imams there are are only allowed to lead females in prayer, so no progression there. Keep trying though, I like watching you flounder.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #84 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 1:21pm

rhino wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 1:19pm:
mothra wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 1:10pm:

Yes. Barbaric.

Your point?

Not Accepted by mainstream Islam, thats the point.

No Rhino. The point is that women's rights are compatible with Islam.

I'm beginning to wonder if you lot  understand the meaning of the word "compatible".

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #85 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 1:24pm

mothra wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 1:21pm:
[
No Rhino. The point is that women's rights are compatible with Islam.[/quote[ ad yet i have just demonstrated they are not.

[quote]'m beginning to wonder if you lot  understand the meaning of the word "compatible".
perhaps you need to learn the meaning of the word yourself. Islam does not accept womens rights except as a subservience to males. Thats the basis of the religion.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #86 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 1:33pm

rhino wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 1:24pm:
[
No Rhino. The point is that women's rights are compatible with Islam.[/quote[ ad yet i have just demonstrated they are not.

[quote]'m beginning to wonder if you lot  understand the meaning of the word "compatible".
perhaps you need to learn the meaning of the word yourself. Islam does not accept womens rights except as a subservience to males. Thats the basis of the religion.

Yet i have have clearly demonstrated the presence of Muslim women's rights advocates. From Imams and scholars all the way down to grass roots activists and ordinary, everyday Muslims.

Compatible, innit?

Did you know that there have been women run Mosques in China for hundreds of years?

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #87 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 1:52pm

mothra wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 1:33pm:
[

Yet i have have clearly demonstrated the presence of Muslim women's rights advocates. From Imams and scholars all the way down to grass roots activists and ordinary, everyday Muslims.

Compatible, innit?

Did you know that there have been women run Mosques in China for hundreds of years?
You just destroyed your own argument. Exactly what has been achieved by having women Imams in China who are only allowed to lead other women in prayer? Continued segregation. Like I said, get back to us when Mosques stop the forced segregation, until then any argument you make is lacking substance.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #88 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 1:59pm

rhino wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 1:52pm:
mothra wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 1:33pm:
[

Compatible, innit?

You just destroyed your own argument. Exactly what has been achieved by having women Imams in China who are only allowed to lead other women in prayer? Continued segregation. Like I said, get back to us when Mosques stop the forced segregation, until then any argument you make is lacking substance.

I most certainly did not destroy my argument. That's some creative thinking  there. And who said they are only "allowed" to lead other women in prayer? In the article i read, men were invited to join in prayer. More conjecture from the closed-minded.

There are female Imams all over the place. There are even gay Imams.

It's time you updated your understanding of Islam, Rhino, and not only recognise the existence of progressive ideology within Islam when you find it but to embrace and encourage it.

I repeat isn't that, after all, what you want?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #89 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 2:02pm

mothra wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 1:59pm:
There are female Imams all over the place. There are even gay Imams.

errr I wouldn't say "all over the place" - thats taking it a bit far I think.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14
Send Topic Print