Send Topic Print
Pell walks (Read 12451 times)
Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Re: Pell walks
Reply #255 - Apr 9th, 2020 at 10:20am

And now, in addition, he faces the redacted findings of the Royal Commission and a series of civil claims against him by alleged victims claiming piles of damages.

I think these are biggest concerns coming up. The burden of proof on civil claims is far less, and the findings of the RC aren't going to be good

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #256 - Apr 9th, 2020 at 10:28am

I still think the jury system is the preferred model except in highly technical issues that average people may struggle to understand ... intricate financial fraud cases for example.

Sometimes, it is the intangible things in court that can be picked up on and most of the time the gut feeling is correct.

An example of gut feelings? ...

Both my wife and I turned to each other saying that this man 'did her in' when first we saw this man on TV:

Sometimes the non-verbal cues are spot on.

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #257 - Apr 9th, 2020 at 11:25am

I dare say he wouldn't give a rats about any civil proceedings after just wrongfully serving over a year behind bars, and I am pretty sure you can't be jailed for any civil offence.

Where is this faceless accuser, what has he got to hide, perhaps a skeleton or two in the closet.

IP Logged

perceptions_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth  WA
Reply #258 - Apr 9th, 2020 at 11:28am

Is Covid 19, also going "to Walk"?

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #259 - Apr 9th, 2020 at 11:30am

Johnnie wrote on Apr 9th, 2020 at 11:25am:
I dare say he wouldn't give a rats about any civil proceedings after just wrongfully serving over a year behind bars, and I am pretty sure you can't be jailed for any civil offence.

Where is this faceless accuser, what has he got to hide, perhaps a skeleton or two in the closet.

True, you wouldn't be jailed for a civil offence, but a civil court case can lead to a criminal charge.

Pell is not out of the woods yet.

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #260 - Apr 9th, 2020 at 11:40am

Captain Nemo wrote on Apr 9th, 2020 at 10:28am:
I still think the jury system is the preferred model except in highly technical issues that average people may struggle to understand ... intricate financial fraud cases for example.

Sometimes, it is the intangible things in court that can be picked up on and most of the time the gut feeling is correct.

An example of gut feelings? ...

Both my wife and I turned to each other saying that this man 'did her in' when first we saw this man on TV:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/image/9254688-3x2-700x467.jpg

Sometimes the non-verbal cues are spot on.

thats me nemo I get gut feelings about a lot of things   and if it stays with me  its usually correct.... 

I tried watching Revelations on ABc last night....it didnt impress me one way or the other......all I thought was why do we need to know this!  kind of weird   I didnt see it to the end.. which is unusual for me....its knowing the end that keeps me watching..lolo

I cant help Pell is paying for every paedophile in the Church....that to me isnt justice.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #261 - Apr 9th, 2020 at 12:10pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Apr 9th, 2020 at 10:20am:
And now, in addition, he faces the redacted findings of the Royal Commission and a series of civil claims against him by alleged victims claiming piles of damages.

I think these are biggest concerns coming up. The burden of proof on civil claims is far less, and the findings of the RC aren't going to be good

The redacted stuff might be as harmful to the accuser as they might be to Pell.

The findings of the Royal Commission are totally irrelevant and cannot be just tossed into a civil action as being part of the evidence of any civil case.

Every Plaintiff will have the job of presenting original evidence.  Yes the burden of proof is not as high as it is in a criminal trial.  Balance of probability v beyond reasonable doubt.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #262 - Apr 9th, 2020 at 12:10pm

Captain Nemo wrote on Apr 9th, 2020 at 11:30am:
Johnnie wrote on Apr 9th, 2020 at 11:25am:

True, you wouldn't be jailed for a civil offence, but a civil court case can lead to a criminal charge.

Pell is not out of the woods yet.

An army of lawyers have been trying to nail him for years to no avail.

Pell will be out of this country as soon as he can and won't be returning for any civil case.

Who will bankroll these civil proceedings given they can go on for over a decade without a result, Pells lawyers with all their money will simply delay endlessly until Pell dies of old age.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #263 - Apr 9th, 2020 at 12:24pm

Redmond Neck wrote on Apr 8th, 2020 at 3:33pm:
Aussie wrote on Apr 8th, 2020 at 2:58pm:
Redmond Neck wrote on Apr 8th, 2020 at 2:09pm:
Redmond Neck wrote on Apr 8th, 2020 at 9:26am:
Aussie wrote on Apr 7th, 2020 at 5:07pm:
Brian has SFA to do with it.  YOU mentioned it, not Brian.

Is this sort of like you mentioning Red Lily off that American forum ?

Grin

No answer eh?

Why de-rail the thread as you have in the past well before the name Red Lily was ever known, with your strange references to a Bush Lawyer.

Proved yourself a hypocrite anyway by lecturing me about rules about posting crap from other forums which you do yourself!

Wanker!

you can't get anything right can you?  the rule is about posting private information about members on here ..  Roll Eyes

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #264 - Apr 9th, 2020 at 12:27pm

Aussie wrote on Apr 8th, 2020 at 4:17pm:

A decision of 'not guilty' is all that is available in Australia.  There is no verdict of 'innocent' available. 

therefore, he could not be found to be innocent. Which is what I've said all along

You well know that.  You are being argumentative.

You're the one arguing he was found innocent despite knowing no such verdict exists in Australia.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #265 - Apr 9th, 2020 at 12:39pm

Vatican's got bigger problems to deal with

Pope ditched his Vicar of Christ title

He's decided to rule under his birth name

as a dictator, basically

globalism

royals going too

with Supreme Leader title going to Gates

demons running wild now

entire world almost completely within their grasp

places of worship closed for Easter

time for the big cabunga hit from those death stars circling earth

maybe a few in deep caves will survive and create new civilizations

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #266 - Apr 9th, 2020 at 12:54pm

John Smith wrote on Apr 9th, 2020 at 12:27pm:

A decision of 'not guilty' is all that is available in Australia.  There is no verdict of 'innocent' available. 

therefore, he could not be found to be innocent. Which is what I've said all along

You're the one arguing he was found innocent despite knowing no such verdict exists in Australia.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

No,  there is no post of mine saying he was 'found innocent.'  There are posts of mine saying (in effect) because of the way things work here, as he starts off innocent, he remains so unless he is found guilty beyond reasonable doubt.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #267 - Apr 9th, 2020 at 12:56pm

Good thing the old bastard is close to death in any case

at which time, he'll be judged for real

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #268 - Apr 9th, 2020 at 12:56pm

Okay, not found, but he's still innocent.

Under our law, everyone is innocent until proven guilty.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #269 - Apr 9th, 2020 at 12:58pm

Aussie wrote on Apr 9th, 2020 at 12:54pm:

No,  there is no post of mine saying he was 'found innocent.'  There are posts of mine saying (in effect) because of the way things work here, as he starts off innocent, he remains so unless he is found guilty beyond reasonable doubt.

now you're backtracking with semantics. When i said he wasn't 'found innocent', you disagreed. Wear it.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 36
Send Topic Print