Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Computer application labels blurred (Read 5039 times)
UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Computer application labels blurred
Feb 29th, 2020 at 10:46am

Does anyone else have a problem with Kaspersky causing problems for their computers? Everytime I run the internet security, I seem to cause more problems than I have solved. I also have an issue with this "Avira" scan going through my computer that I cannot seem to get free. I have assumed that it is a virus.

My computer is running really slowly for now. I have just installed a limited subscription for Norton to do a security check. But, I will have to figure out if this will be enough when I finish doing the scan.

The labels on my computer applications are blurred. What is causing this and how do I fix them?

Running IObit Malware Fighter (free software) does help fix the problems of the past. But lately, I can't seem to be able to run a full scan.

Any suggestions?

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Re: Computer application labels blurred
Reply #1 - Feb 29th, 2020 at 11:08am

Run MalwareBytes (free)

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Stay away from Kaspersky for a while at lease. There was a recent flaw in Kaspersky AV that allowed hackers to use it and also there have been strong rumors that Kaspersky was involved with the Russians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaspersky_bans_and_allegations_of_Russian_governme...

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Feb 29th, 2020 at 12:48pm

Avira is also a virus checker.

So now you have at least 3 installed.

Kaspersky, Avira and Norton.

Go into your settings and do a program uninstall for each you don't want. Then do a complete reboot.

Depending on the Windows version that will mean a different close down procedure. Google your Windows version for a complete shutdown. That will get rid of any remnants left in memory on the fast restart.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Feb 29th, 2020 at 3:05pm

Turn computer off, wait 5 seconds for recalibration process and then turn it on again.
« Last Edit: Feb 29th, 2020 at 3:11pm by Johnnie »  

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #4 - Feb 29th, 2020 at 3:19pm

Avira is more trouble than it is worth. I have Norton running that seems to have fixed my computer problems. I will reinstall Norton by the end of the next month. Kaspersky is going to go. Avast was offline for a while -- it was not running. Usually, that has helped fix the problems.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Feb 29th, 2020 at 4:43pm

You could also try Glary Utilities, that will get rid of most Windows problems, by removing any remnants.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Mar 2nd, 2020 at 12:37pm

Norton has been big and slow and not much good for years. Just like Macafee.

I have seen spyware actually amend the registry to change the settings for Macafee!!!

On Windows 10 activate the Windows 10 Firewall but NOT the Windows virus scanner.

Then get WEBROOT Secure Anywhere and you won't get any more virus or spyware problems:-

https://www.webroot.com/au/en/home/sem/brand?rc=5340&sc=701F0000000etVr&gclid=EA...

It is NOT recommended to have 2 virus scanners going simultaneously.

Windows 10 Firewall stops rubbish coming in and Webroot stops anything unknown from calling the internet.

Very reliable and very quick - you won't even know when it is operating.

Not like the very slow and clumsy Norton and Macafee virus scanners which grind on for about 20 minutes and slow everything.

Any FREE scanners are just begging for trouble. They might even plant spyware on your machine.

IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Reply #7 - Mar 3rd, 2020 at 9:08am

I use CCleaner on my Windows and Mac Machines.  Have used it for years with never an issue - although others reckon they have had problems.     On Windows, just make sure you click yes to save the registry.      Lots of articles on line about it.  I also found on my Mac it was the best program for removing programs and hangers on type stuff

https://www.ccleaner.com/

Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies
Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #8 - Mar 21st, 2020 at 4:19pm

I tried to reset my computer last night, as the computer was practically frozen. But the reset did not reset properly and kept my files and applications. The computer came good, to a certain extent. Does anyone know how to uninstall avira that does not seem to show up in the programs list?

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Mar 21st, 2020 at 5:06pm

Does it show in the uninstall programs list?

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #10 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 1:20am

lee wrote on Mar 21st, 2020 at 5:06pm:
Does it show in the uninstall programs list?

Avira does not show in any lists to be able to uninstall. It shows up on the program list when I hit the start button and shows the folder. Or I can right-click the mouse to execute programs to see that a list including "Scan selected files with Avira". Currently checking the folder in a search now.

Otherwise, I get the occasional three-blips noise that happens before the avira pop-up emerges.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 1:11pm

It seems then that there is a remnant of the program.

Use a utility that cleans the Registry and removes part programs. I use Glary Utilities on my wife's Windows computer. It is free.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #12 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 4:54pm

I used Glarys the other week. It did not remove anything. I was using Powerful Uninstall to remove what I could find in the folder. But the uninstall went for 99% of the uninstallation. Then it just paused. Usually, when there is a slight pause, it is only for a few minutes. This one lasted for hours and has not uninstalled the rest.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 4:58pm

Dnarever wrote on Feb 29th, 2020 at 11:08am:
Run MalwareBytes (free)

Stay away from Kaspersky for a while at lease. There was a recent flaw in Kaspersky AV that allowed hackers to use it and also there have been strong rumors that Kaspersky was involved with the Russians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaspersky_bans_and_allegations_of_Russian_governme...

My computer guy used to work for the us military. His job was to keep hackers out of their systems and ensure data security. This is his specialty. I asked him last week and he swears by Kaspersky. He says it's currently the best one out there.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #14 - Mar 23rd, 2020 at 8:44pm

John Smith wrote on Mar 22nd, 2020 at 4:58pm:
Dnarever wrote on Feb 29th, 2020 at 11:08am:
Run MalwareBytes (free)

My computer guy used to work for the us military. His job was to keep hackers out of their systems and ensure data security. This is his specialty. I asked him last week and he swears by Kaspersky. He says it's currently the best one out there.

Kaspersky has been hogging my cpu and slowing my computer to a crawl on updates. Right now, the computer is going fine.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print