polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Re: Islam vs freedom
Reply #30 - May 29th, 2019 at 4:02pm

freediver wrote on May 29th, 2019 at 1:41pm:
The norm is that people generally refrain from making movies about Muhammad

There are plenty of movies about Muhammad.

What you mean is they refrain from making mocking movies of Muhammad. And the reason for that is most likely that it is offensive and most people don't want to be offensive. And there would obviously be substantially less people in the movie-making industry who have the resources, and the wherewithal to do it - even amateurishly.  And obviously for these reasons a hollywood blockbuster would be the least likely. And thats to do with common decency, not being cowered by Islamists.

Even those who weren't worried about being dicks and wanted to be offensive would have to weigh up the social and commercial backlash caused by progressives doing their outrage thing. If they were in the movie industry already, they soon wouldn't be. And again, that has nothing to do with the Islamists. Its also not exclusive to Islam. Try making a blockbuster mocking something sacred to the jews, and see how far that goes.

freediver wrote on May 29th, 2019 at 1:41pm:
Have you tried responding to what I actually say rather than your fantasies about my fantasies?

You want to portray our society as one cowering in fear from Islamists who have a complete stranglehold on any free expression that criticises anything Islamic.

I say BS.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #31 - May 29th, 2019 at 6:39pm

Quote:
What you mean is they refrain from making mocking movies of Muhammad. And the reason for that is most likely that it is offensive and most people don't want to be offensive.

And the rest refrain in order to keep their heads.

Quote:
Even those who weren't worried about being dicks and wanted to be offensive would have to weigh up the social and commercial backlash caused by progressives doing their outrage thing.

You mean the free advertising?

Quote:
You want to portray our society as one cowering in fear from Islamists who have a complete stranglehold on any free expression that criticises anything Islamic.
I say BS.

I say another strawman. You obviously find it much harder to address what I actually say, so you invent something else to respond to.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #32 - May 29th, 2019 at 7:46pm

freediver wrote on May 29th, 2019 at 6:39pm:

Baseless.

And why is your sole criteria for things not happening on the mock Muhammad front a blockbuster Hollywood movie? Do you agree that Hollywood wouldn't touch a movie that offends jews in any way with a 10 foot pole?

I think blockbuster movies is about the worst example you could come up with. Hollywood have to be PC for whole bunch of reasons that have nothing to do with fearing they will literally lose their heads.

Why doesn't just about any other medium for mocking Islam and Muhammad you could think of - youtube, images, cartoons - count? Oh thats right, because that stuff happens all the time. And no, one Charlie Hebdo shooting has not stopped it.

I say another strawman. You obviously find it much harder to address what I actually say

What you actually say is that Islam is the greatest threat to freedom. You cite Islamist attacks on free speech like Charlie Hebdo and your imagined Islamist-fearing self-censoring as proof. You then "actually say" that no one could ever make a Hollywood film mocking Muhammad - again because of people cowering in fear from the Islamists. You are so obsessed with this imagined Islamist intimidation, that you don't even consider the obvious reason such critical expression is avoided - which is the same reason criticism of things like jews, the holocaust, and pretty much every dark skinned culture is avoided like the plague. And its nothing to do with fearing for one's life or limb.

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - May 29th, 2019 at 7:56pm

freediver wrote on May 29th, 2019 at 11:32am:
Quote:
'special' compared to Afghanistan, sure

What about Europe?

Quote:
Is this going to be yet another hair splitting exercise, where the criteria must be actors starring in a film - and nothing else from the volumes and volumes of other videos, articles, artwork etc mocking Muhammad and Islam don't count?

Like Charlie Hebdo?

That's haram, FD. If you ever posted anything from that, Abu would cut off your head.

You'd also have to watch out for Muslims like G.

Mindless collective, innit.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - May 29th, 2019 at 8:21pm

I'll take this one, FD.

Quote:
And the reason for that is most likely that it is offensive and most people don't want to be offensive.

You people like to take offence Gandalf. What is it about Muslims and being offended?

Quote:
Even those who weren't worried about being dicks and wanted to be offensive would have to weigh up the social and commercial backlash caused by progressives doing their outrage thing. If they were in the movie industry already, they soon wouldn't be.

And you think threatening them will work?

Quote:
Try making a blockbuster mocking something sacred to the jews, and see how far that goes.

Why is it that for Muslims it always comes back to the Jews?

Quote:

Do you think Australia is special in that we could get away with making a movie that mocks Muhammad?
« Last Edit: May 29th, 2019 at 8:46pm by Mattyfisk »  

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - May 29th, 2019 at 8:31pm

I don't think this thread worked out to well for FD.

Grin Grin

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #36 - May 29th, 2019 at 9:08pm

polite_gandalf wrote on May 29th, 2019 at 7:46pm:

Baseless.

And why is your sole criteria for things not happening on the mock Muhammad front a blockbuster Hollywood movie? Do you agree that Hollywood wouldn't touch a movie that offends jews in any way with a 10 foot pole?

I think blockbuster movies is about the worst example you could come up with. Hollywood have to be PC for whole bunch of reasons that have nothing to do with fearing they will literally lose their heads.

Why doesn't just about any other medium for mocking Islam and Muhammad you could think of - youtube, images, cartoons - count? Oh thats right, because that stuff happens all the time. And no, one Charlie Hebdo shooting has not stopped it.

I say another strawman. You obviously find it much harder to address what I actually say

What you actually say is that Islam is the greatest threat to freedom. You cite Islamist attacks on free speech like Charlie Hebdo and your imagined Islamist-fearing self-censoring as proof. You then "actually say" that no one could ever make a Hollywood film mocking Muhammad - again because of people cowering in fear from the Islamists. You are so obsessed with this imagined Islamist intimidation, that you don't even consider the obvious reason such critical expression is avoided - which is the same reason criticism of things like jews, the holocaust, and pretty much every dark skinned culture is avoided like the plague. And its nothing to do with fearing for one's life or limb.

You are once again lying about what I actually say Gandalf.

And there are plenty of movies mocking Jews and Black people. But none mocking Muhammad. That's because Jews and black people don't go into violent uncontrollable rages around the world and murder people in response. Muslims do.

polite_gandalf wrote on May 29th, 2019 at 11:27am:
freediver wrote on May 29th, 2019 at 10:11am:
do you think Australia is special in that we could get away with making a movie that mocks Muhammad?

'special' compared to Afghanistan? sure.

What about Europe?

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #37 - May 29th, 2019 at 9:14pm

freediver wrote on May 29th, 2019 at 8:37am:
I am not asking you to go through her posts Gandalf. I am asking you how I misrepresented her.

Do you think Australia is special in that we could get away with making a movie that mocks Muhammad?

Prophets commit WAR
Messiahs commit SUICIDE

...watch (religious side of) France self-destruct like a cathedral burning in the face of Islam, seeking its 'Messiah' to pay the price for their sins.  Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #38 - May 30th, 2019 at 8:50am

freediver wrote on May 29th, 2019 at 9:08pm:
And there are plenty of movies mocking Jews and Black people. But none mocking Muhammad.

Sure there are FD - I believe Hitler made a few. What say we engage Hollywood to do a remake of 'The Eternal Jew' - I'm sure the distributors will be falling over themselves to be part of that - right?

Could you name me just one Hollywood film from say the last 30 years that is about actual ridiculing of jews?

Or did you actually just mean films like Independence Day with the dear old jewish dad who said cute 'jewish' things to make everyone feel warm and fuzzy in an otherwise crappy situation?

Also, unlike 'jew-mocking' movies, there really are plenty of movies mocking muslims (and I mean actual mocking). eg Four Lions.

What about Europe?

What about it?

Do you think that because your favourite massacre happened there, that means the place is radically different to the rest of the west in terms of people willing to mock Islam?

Sorry to dissapoint you, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #39 - May 30th, 2019 at 8:55am

That Mel Gibson movie about Jesus paints Jews in a bad light.

Here is a list of the 10 funniest movies about Jews, according to IMDB.

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls005517906/

Pretty much any movie or series set in New York is either a gangster movie or poking fun at Jews.

Do you have a TV Gandalf?

Quote:
What about it?

You should be able to figure out what I am asking from the context. Here it is again Gandalf:

do you think Australia is special in that we could get away with making a movie that mocks Muhammad?

What about Europe?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #40 - May 30th, 2019 at 11:21am

LOL FD - you actually present a list of "jewish related comedies" as examples of "movies ridiculing jews". What a joke. I have seen keeping the faith, and it is simply farcical to claim the jewish character is being ridiculed.

I think its safe to say they are not exactly "The eternal jew" now are they? How do you reckon a remake of that would go down in Hollywood? That would be an actual example of a movie "ridiculing jews"

And such a shame we couldn't possibly come up with a list of movies that poke fun of muslims could we? I mean they just *NEVER* happen right?

freediver wrote on May 30th, 2019 at 8:55am:
Pretty much any movie or series set in New York is either a gangster movie or poking fun at Jews.

Ah yes, thats totally equivalent to a movie that specifically ridicules Islam's most central and revered prophet right?

I don't know exactly what religious icon/symbol/prophet jews most revere, but whatever it is, try using the ridiculing of that as a comparison - rather than simply "poking fun at jews" in some feel good comedy with all round nice guy Ben Stiller.

You should be able to figure out what I am asking from the context. Here it is again Gandalf:

You could have at least read beyond the first sentence and responded to that.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #41 - May 30th, 2019 at 1:09pm

Quote:
And such a shame we couldn't possibly come up with a list of movies that poke fun of muslims could we? I mean they just *NEVER* happen right?

Can you come up with any that make fun of Muhammad?

Quote:

I didn't see the point in poring over the detail of your evasion. Better to give you another opportunity at a straight answer. So far you have explained the situation in Australia and Afghanistan....

What about Europe?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #42 - May 30th, 2019 at 2:54pm

freediver wrote on May 30th, 2019 at 1:09pm:
Can you come up with any that make fun of Muhammad?

No, but neither could you find any equivalent for judaism either - at least not one in the last 40 years. You compare apples with oranges - thinking that an equivalent movie mocking Muhammad is something like Keeping the Faith or some equally ridiculous comparison.

The point is, Hollywood steers clear of just about anything overtly critical of non-white, non-christian culture or religion. And the reasons have little to do with fearing for life or limb.

freediver wrote on May 30th, 2019 at 1:09pm:
I didn't see the point in poring over the detail of your evasion.

Yes FD, mere 'details' that I said that I don't believe Europe is any more affected by self-censorship vis Islam mocking than the rest of the west. No need to bother with the direct answer to your question eh FD?

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #43 - May 30th, 2019 at 4:47pm

Quote:
No, but neither could you find any equivalent for judaism either

Probably because that is not what you asked for. This is going to get tiresome if you keep shifting the goalposts. Does Judaism even have an equivalent of Muhammad?

Quote:
The point is, Hollywood steers clear of just about anything overtly critical of non-white, non-christian culture or religion.

Crap.

Quote:
Yes FD, mere 'details' that I said that I don't believe Europe is any more affected by self-censorship vis Islam mocking than the rest of the west.

And you have also evaded on whether you think the rest of the west is affected by self censorship.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #44 - May 30th, 2019 at 6:16pm

polite_gandalf wrote on May 30th, 2019 at 11:21am:
LOL FD - you actually present a list of "jewish related comedies" as examples of "movies ridiculing jews". What a joke. I have seen keeping the faith, and it is simply farcical to claim the jewish character is being ridiculed.

I think its safe to say they are not exactly "The eternal jew" now are they? How do you reckon a remake of that would go down in Hollywood? That would be an actual example of a movie "ridiculing jews"

Ah yes, thats totally equivalent to a movie that specifically ridicules Islam's most central and revered prophet right?

I don't know exactly what religious icon/symbol/prophet jews most revere, but whatever it is, try using the ridiculing of that as a comparison - rather than simply "poking fun at jews" in some feel good comedy with all round nice guy Ben Stiller.

The Little Green Book — Ayatollah Khomeini

Islam is a religion of those who struggle for truth and justice, of those who clamor for liberty and independence. It is the school of those who fight against colonialism.

There are eleven things which are impure: urine, excrement, sperm, bones, blood, dogs, pigs, non-Muslim men and women, wine, beer, and the sweat of the excrement-eating camel.

The meat of horses, mules, or donkeys is not recommended. It is strictly forbidden if the animal was sodomized while alive by a man. In that case, the animal must be taken outside the city and sold.

If one commits an act of sodomy with a cow, a ewe, or a camel, their urine and their excrements become impure, and even their milk may no longer be consumed. The animal must then be killed as quickly as possible and burned, and the price of it paid to its owner by him who sodomized it.

Drinking wine or alcoholic beverages is a mortal sin, and is strictly forbidden. Whoever consumes an alcoholic beverage retains only a part of his soul, that part of it which is deformed and nasty; he is damned by Allah, His archangels, His prophets, and His believers. Such a man’s daily prayers are rejected by Allah for forty days. On the day of the resurrection of the dead, his face will turn black, his tongue will hang out of his mouth, his saliva will run down his chest, and he will remain forever thirsty. 

https://islammonitor.org/uploads/docs/greenbook.pdf

Islam managers the lives of its adherents in minute detail.

No jokes in Islam.

Unlike with the jews.

« Last Edit: May 30th, 2019 at 6:42pm by Frank »  

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 19
Send Topic Print