Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Tesla lithium fire bombs to be banned in homes (Read 5378 times)
Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Tesla lithium fire bombs to be banned in homes
Reply #45 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 10:22pm

juliar wrote on Jun 19th, 2018 at 9:07pm:
Even more meaningless attention seeking drool from the other dumb boring troll.

Hey socko what happened to the fire proof GM EV1 using NiMH battery chyemistry ?

Checkout the smoking gun ladies and gentlemen. Socko and his evil oily mates just don't want the public to own EV's period !! Sad

http://www.ev1.org/chevron.htm

Quote:
California’s 1990 ZEV mandate forced GM and other auto makers to produce Battery Electric cars such as the GM EV1. GM purchased control of the patents from the inventor, Stan and the late Iris Ovshinsky, in 1994 forming “GM Ovonics” under the guise of going into production with the EV1. But GM’s Andy Card had been fighting Electric cars for years, and GM’s true intention became apparent when on Oct. 10, 2000, GM agreed to sell their control of the EV batteries to Texaco. Less than a week later, on Oct. 16, 2000, only days after Texaco acquired control of the batteries, Chevron agreed to purchase Texaco in a $100 billion merger. Chevron announced the merger even though the GM sale of the batteries to what would become Chevron did not close untilJuly 17, 2000. Perhaps Chevron wanted this sale to be announced prior to the merger so it would not look like Chevron (formerly Standard Oil of California) worked directly with GM. > >>

GM and Chevron collaborated with Toyota-Panasonic in such a way that these batteries were killed, and no such NiMH batteries are available for EVs. Chevron, awash in oil profits, assets and cash reserves, claims that “it’s a chicken and egg problem” of “no demand”, but that does not explain why they sued Panasonic, extracting $30,000,000. Shortly thereafter, the EV-95 line of proven, NiMH batteries still running in the RAV4-EV was shut down and killed, and the batteries cannot be sold or imported into the USA, according to one Toyota spokesperson. Only a few used EV-95, salvaged from crushed vehicles, are available, and those only for warranty replacement on existing RAV4-EV. Toyota won’t sell even these used batteries to EV converters, who need long-lasting, reliable batteries and can’t get them.

“A senior Chevron executive was quoted off-the-record as saying that Chevron was determined not to go down the BEV path again and never to let that happen again in the automotive industry, at least not with NiMH batteries.” Chevron, by virtue of its purchase, apparently wants cars to be powered by gasoline and not by NiMH batteries large enough to drive cars from electric plug-in power.> >>

Chevron’s unit that controls the patents, cobasys, refuses to sell their version of the battery unless, they say, they get “a large OEM order”. Apparently, they also refuse to let anyone else sell it, either> >>

Auto and oil industry detractors — “oilliars” — claim that “the batteries are not ready” for a plug-in Prius. They hope you don’t know about the existing, still-running 2002 Toyota RAV4-EV, which operates entirely on batteries with no help from any Internal Combustion (“IC”) component. It’s easy to add a small engine-generator to this proven EV, and have an instant plug-in hybrid that runs like an EV for 100 miles, and then relies on the generator (like a diesel-electric locomotive, and they are very powerful). Over 1000 RAV4-EV are running far over 100,000 miles with EV-95 NiMH deep-cycling as the only power source for the RAV4-EV> >>

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 10:44pm

The silly old troll is rabbiting off topic fool drool. What a drongo. The silly fool hasn't got the faintest idea about the topic and is just posting any rubbish simply to try to get attention as trolls do.

solarguy • a year ago

I'm not going to be an alarmist at this stage, however I'm quietly concerned. I know a guy who is on the standards committee, he is level headed, intelligent and has been in the solar and battery storage industry for far longer than I have and the last thing he would agree to is this total utter bullshit. In fact he is a mentor of mine and to countless other installers and designers.

So here are some facts about battery storage for hybrid and off grid dwellings as per the Australian standards and have been as long as I know of:

1. No battery chemistry in relation to Hybrid or off grid installation is allowed inside the living envelope of a house. e.g living room, bed room, kitchen or laundry and I'm sure you get the big picture here!

2. A garage has been ok as some Li - Ion batteries like Enphase are not IP 54 and so must be installed out of the weather. CGL, Powerwall and the newer LG's and some others are IP 54 or greater (IP65 like GCL) and so can be installed out side of a house, on a wall.

The IP rating allows this and in my view that is the best place for Li-Ion chemistries for mainly one reason and it's not fire so much, as the very toxic gas that Li-Ion chemistry batteries can give off if they fail catastrophically. That gas will react with animal mucous membranes, worse than mustard gas and burn your respiratory tract, including the very much needed lungs!

3. In my mind there is no need, what so ever, if these batteries that are IP 54 or IP 65 needing anything like a free standing enclosure if placed either outside or in a garage, if that garage is vented to the atmosphere.

4. The fire authorities are the only one's that may have a problem, but let's wait and see what their concerns could be.

In ending, I find it interesting that John Grimes of who I have acquaintance with from time to time, as I'm a member of ASC and the Energy Storage Council, didn't want to make comment on the matter, but I'm sure he is getting info before he responds.

What has been going on with politics and renewables lately, I have to say I smell a bloody big rat.
« Last Edit: Jun 19th, 2018 at 11:08pm by juliar »  

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 11:35pm

A home conflagration caused by an exploding lithium home storage battery will be just like a Tesla car lithium battery fire - only much bigger with toxic smoke billowing everywhere.

What will the home insurance company say ?  Sorry you are NOT COVERED!!!

Battery sector fights fire-risk rules
GRAHAM LLOYD Environment Editor Sydney The Australian 12:00AM July 11, 2017

Industry groups and manufacturers say modern solar batteries are designed not to overheat.

The fast-growing solar battery storage industry is engaged in a furious 11th-hour battle to kill new regulations that would force home­owners to build a separate “fire bunker” housing for battery installations.

Industry and consumer groups have until August 15 to challenge draft recommendations issued by Standards Australia that could dramatically slow the uptake of residential battery storage.

Final draft recommendations include a ban on in-house battery banks and are designed to avoid a repeat of the pink batts debacle in which a well-intentioned environmental initiative proved deadly.

Industry groups and manufacturers say modern solar batteries are designed not to overheat and have described the new rules as overkill.

Sales of battery storage have risen to 6750 battery installations last year, up from 500 in 2015, ­according to a recent survey. Solar energy equipment supplier SunWiz forecasts at least a threefold increase this year.

Currently there are no Standards Australia regulations for in-home battery installations. The Clean Energy Council issued industry rules last year limiting home batteries to “a dedicated equipment room or battery room”.

The council said installers should take account of ventilation, extreme temperatures and exclude “habitable rooms” including bedrooms, living rooms, kitchens, sunrooms, bathrooms or laundries. Its rules included an exemption for “all-in-one” battery and inverter control systems.

However, the draft Australian Standards go much further.

Lithium ion batteries are classed as “fire hazard class 1”, and under the draft rules they must not be installed inside a domestic dwelling, within a metre of any access or egress area or under any part of a domestic dwelling.

To qualify, lithium ion batteries must effectively be housed in a 3m x 2m fire shelter with eaves.

The council’s voluntary code outlines the concerns. “Some lithium-based batteries can fail due to internal overheating, in a process known as ‘thermal runaway’,” the council says. “The normal chemical reactions within the battery during charging are exothermic (heat-generating).

“If this heat is not able to dissipate, or the battery is overcharged for a long duration, the rate of chemical reaction can then speed up, which in turn increases the battery temperature further, in an ­increasing cycle until the battery is physically damaged.

“Once this happens, there is a risk of fire and/or rupture of the battery, with emission of toxic material,’’ the council says.

Standards Australia chief executive Bronwyn Evans said the draft report was a “comprehensive document” that was “the result of many hours of work from experts representing industry, government and community interests”.

“The work is being driven by a range of stakeholders from all parts of industry who have an ­interest in standards in Australia that support the safe uptake of ­battery-storage systems in all buildings, but particularly in homes,” she said.

Dr Evans said the standards were devised to give consumers and industry confidence in innovative solutions.

“They should give markets and governments confidence when making regulatory and investment decisions and get the balance right between all the different interests and voices in the room,” she said.

At the end of the consultation period “we will have an installation standard for battery storage systems which supports the uptake of systems in Australia”.

Dr Evans said battery storage had been a focus of Chief ­Scientist Alan Finkel’s review into the ­future ­security of the National Electricity Market, released last month.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/climate/battery-sector-fights-...

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 12:03am

Now as the authorities come to grips with the extreme danger of lithium home storage batteries the next question is should electric cars be allowed inside home garages as they are an even bigger hazard ?

If lithium-ion batteries are banned from homes, why not EVs?
By Phil Keogan on February 22, 2017

As residential energy storage systems using lithium-ion batteries have begun to proliferate, it’s natural that people would seek to better understand the safety features built into these systems. With this increasing focus on safety and recent headlines around the issue, it’s important for both users and regulators to have the information necessary to put individual reports into context.

Safety is something that manufactures like Sunverge have considered since the beginning. In fact, Sunverge was born out of decades long experience supplying into the North American utility industry.  Our products are designed as “network grade” with safety and reliability at their core. As residential and commercial battery storage becomes widespread, Sunverge fully supports the definition and evolution of a set of safety standards to guide existing players and new entrants in this important energy market.

At the same time, safety standards should be based on data and testing, which is what we believe should be the case for guidelines being drafted by Standards Australia.

As proposed, storage units in Australia would be permitted only in separate external enclosures, not in homes or garages. In spite of the fact that there are no current proposed rules concerning the parking of Electric Vehicles powered by lithium-ion batteries in garages.

We understand the concerns and that customers demand and deserve assurances of safety. That’s why Sunverge engaged in extensive fire safety testing last September, conducted as part of the effort by the New York City Fire Department (FDNY) to develop standards for storage installations indoors in homes in the city.

The results showed that our systems excelled when exposed to the most extreme conditions – in fact, the report concluded the overall design of the Sunverge One (formerly the Sunverge Solar Integration System) “appears to contain or isolate” the potential hazards of advanced lithium batteries. In addition, the report indicated the Sunverge One “demonstrated that a properly designed system may be highly manageable and does not pose additional undue risk to first responders or surrounding properties during extreme fire conditions”.

At the same time, we’ve designed our systems to be installed and operated safely both inside and outside buildings, securely mounted typically mounted on a seismic pad and in a robust containment system, so consumers can choose what’s best for them, whether for convenience of location or any other reason.

Similar concerns were raised in the past concerning, for example, the installation of diesel generators by homeowners. As standards bodies looked at the data from tests and the efforts of manufacturers to put safety at the forefront, they were able to create fact-based guidelines that have served consumers well.

Finally, as Australia looks for guidance, we are ready to help. The Sunverge One meets or exceeds all applicable industry and independent standards (including AS, IEC, UL, ANSI, IEEE, NFPA, ACMA and FCC). Our systems analyze more than 800 data points every 15 seconds and automatically adjusts to ideal parameters. The batteries we use in our hardware have an outstanding track record for safety having been originally developed foe marine and defense applications. So we stand behind the safety of our products. In fact, several Sunverge employees and partners have Sunverge units installed at their homes. We are pleased to share our knowledge and experience with Standards Australia.

https://onestepoffthegrid.com.au/sunverge-stands-safety/
« Last Edit: Jun 20th, 2018 at 7:12am by juliar »  

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #49 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 7:43am

All that and u can still put Battery packs in houses in Australia

Still none have blow up and burnt a house down, little on Blown up like a bomb.................. Wink Wink Wink

I am me

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #50 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 10:35am

My Gosh that ridiculous troll is STILL hanging around.

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #51 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 10:47am

juliar wrote on Jun 20th, 2018 at 10:35am:
My Gosh that ridiculous troll is STILL hanging around.

so when will tesla lithium battery pack's be banned from Homes Jules ? That's the thread title.
Just wondering..... U can still put them in houses and the articles u are using are about 18 months old. Wink Wink

I am me

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - Jun 21st, 2018 at 9:48pm

MY GOODNESS!!! That ridiculous troll is STILL hanging around. The poor soul must be so desperate to try get some attention. Sad really to see someone reduced to such a state.

But ignoring the deliberately disruptive behavior of the sad troll and back to the TOPIC which is all Greek to the poor troll.

This is the risk you run when you put Lithium battery storage inside or close to your home

And even more scary - would your home insurance cover this ?

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #53 - Jun 22nd, 2018 at 6:00am

juliar wrote on Jun 21st, 2018 at 9:48pm:
MY GOODNESS!!! That ridiculous troll is STILL hanging around. The poor soul must be so desperate to try get some attention. Sad really to see someone reduced to such a state.

But ignoring the deliberately disruptive behavior of the sad troll and back to the TOPIC which is all Greek to the poor troll.

This is the risk you run when you put Lithium battery storage inside or close to your home

And even more scary - would your home insurance cover this ?

WoW Jules now your just putting pictures of houses burning down........ That's really pathetic. and yes house insurance in Australia will cover it and u can buy a Battery pack and put it in your living room if u really wanted.

I am me

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #54 - Jun 22nd, 2018 at 10:54am

Gosh that normally ignored ridiculous troll drongo is STILL hanging around trying to get some attention with silly off topic spamming.  Can't be the full quid.

Must be so in awe of my superior ability he/she is stalking me.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print