Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Iranian democracy
Reply #45 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 9:39pm

Brian Ross wrote on Dec 15th, 2017 at 4:56pm:
freediver wrote on Dec 12th, 2017 at 8:51pm:
Auggie wrote on Dec 12th, 2017 at 12:54pm:
If I may make a point about the electoral college.

It is a 'democratic' manner of voting because the electors vote according to the will of the people, which is the democratic principal.

HOWEVER,

It is not a majoritarian system, because of how the value of votes is determined by the electors.

Our system is not majoritarian either. It is theoretically possible to gain an absolute majority of both houses of federal parliament with 26% of the vote.

An interesting claim, FD.  Where did you pull that from, out of a matter of interest?

However, it is immaterial.  The Government is chosen on the basis of the number of seats that the party that commands the majority of, in the House.  The Party with the greatest number wins government.   Simples, really.    Roll Eyes

Think about it Brian. You'll figure it out.

Brian Ross wrote on Dec 10th, 2017 at 5:05pm:
freediver wrote on Dec 10th, 2017 at 2:18pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Dec 10th, 2017 at 12:58pm:
freediver wrote on Dec 10th, 2017 at 11:33am:
Quote:
Democracy is practised in many Islamic nations, including Iran (in, I admit a modified form but no more than in the USA).

Can you explain what you mean by this Brian?

Democracy depends upon the citizenry voting.  This occurs in both the US and Iran.   Both use a modified outcome to determine who won the election.   Therefore, both use modified democracy, FD.    Roll Eyes

Can you explain the highlighted bit?

That is obvious from what I have already typed, FD.  If you need it spelt out, I'd recommend you look up on Google the US's "Electoral College" votes versus the "popular vote".   It will help you to understand the point I am making.    Roll Eyes

freediver wrote on Dec 12th, 2017 at 12:34pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Dec 11th, 2017 at 5:02pm:
freediver wrote on Dec 10th, 2017 at 9:18pm:
Brian this is no less idiotic than comparing our democracy with Iran because we have representatives rather than direct democracy. It is still a far cry from the circular appointment process used in Iran.

So, the circular appointment process of the "primaries" doesn't count to you, FD?  The use of an "electoral college" versus the "popular vote"?   I never claimed they were identical BTW, just "similar".    Roll Eyes

How is it circular Brian?

Brian are you officially wunning away from this claim of yours comparing America to Iran? Or just slinking off?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 9:42pm

FD, why are you afraid to say?

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #47 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 9:49pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Dec 15th, 2017 at 9:42pm:
FD, why are you afraid to say?

Karnal.....why are you NOT afraid to spam OzPol tonight with your troll buddy Groggy?

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 11:22pm

Oh. You've gone.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #49 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 11:46am

Quote:
Did it take centuries in South Korea

It took hundreds of years for western Civilization to develop its institutions, which paved the way for modernity.

South Korea and Japan were unique in the sense that they were able to quickly adopt westernisation and implement it into their societies. Japan was particularly unique in this regard because of its history of absorbing foreign institutions quickly. Japan was largely responsible for transplanting westernisation to South Korea.

Having said that you would be making a grave mistake to try and apply the same logic to Muslim majority countries.

Quote:
What institutions? If your argument is so coherent, why are you afraid to say?

Protection of private property; development of the modern financial system; protection of patents; parliamentary democracy; bill of rights; rule of law; the Protestant religion etc.

The Progressive President

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #50 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 12:33pm

You put a lot of faith in institutions, Augie. I put more in investment.

Countries like South Korea, Singapore and (once) Hong Kong focused heavily on this from their inception. Sure, they had "institution" to facilitate investment. Singapore passed laws at one point banning long hair for men. But this investment brought their populations into a lifestyle that reinforced those institutions.

In Korea, the money came from Japan. In Singapore and Hong Kong it came from Chinese émigrés. Lberal tax laws had a huge influence.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #51 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 2:36pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Dec 16th, 2017 at 12:33pm:

Countries like South Korea, Singapore and (once) Hong Kong focused heavily on this from their inception. Sure, they had "institution" to facilitate investment. Singapore passed laws at one point banning long hair for men. But this investment brought their populations into a lifestyle that reinforced those institutions.

In Korea, the money came from Japan. In Singapore and Hong Kong it came from Chinese émigrés. Lberal tax laws had a huge influence.

Investment is only secondary to the issue. You can throw money at a country and the government squanders it. Look at foreign aid to poor countries.

Contrast this to what happened in Japan during the Meiji restoration. Many people think that Japan got rich after ww2 because of American foreign investment and the money they stole from China; but this is not the complete picture. Japan had the institutions in place long before world war 2.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #52 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 2:41pm

Institutions are the key, Karnal. They are what make people follow road rules, and how we’re able to enforce our consumer rights via an ombudsman.

Institutions mean we don’t have to act like animals and club each other whenever there’s s dispute.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #53 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 3:16pm

Auggie wrote on Dec 16th, 2017 at 11:46am:
Quote:

It took hundreds of years for western Civilization to develop its institutions, which paved the way for modernity.

South Korea and Japan were unique in the sense that they were able to quickly adopt westernisation and implement it into their societies. Japan was particularly unique in this regard because of its history of absorbing foreign institutions quickly. Japan was largely responsible for transplanting westernisation to South Korea.

Having said that you would be making a grave mistake to try and apply the same logic to Muslim majority countries.

Quote:

Protection of private property; development of the modern financial system; protection of patents; parliamentary democracy; bill of rights; rule of law; the Protestant religion etc.

Ah, so it takes hundreds of years, except when it takes mere decades. Or millennia in some cases.

Quote:

Are these the ones Diamond discussed on Collapse?

Quote:

Why do you think the modern social and political institutions in the Americas reflect so closely the ones that existed prior to European colonisation? But the relative wealth distribution is pretty much the opposite?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #54 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 3:42pm

Auggie wrote on Dec 16th, 2017 at 2:41pm:
Institutions are the key, Karnal. They are what make people follow road rules, and how we’re able to enforce our consumer rights via an ombudsman.

Institutions mean we don’t have to act like animals and club each other whenever there’s s dispute.

Police make people follow road rules, Augie. No one wants to follow rules. Most are enforced.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #55 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 4:15pm

freediver wrote on Dec 16th, 2017 at 3:16pm:
Quote:

Quote:

Ah, so it takes hundreds of years, except when it takes mere decades. Or millennia in some cases.

Quote:

Quote:

Why do you think the modern social and political institutions in the Americas reflect so closely the ones that existed prior to European colonisation? But the relative wealth distribution is pretty much the opposite?

Not sure what you're asking here, FD. There are no Native American political institutions in the Americas.

IP Logged

Brendon

Australian Politics

Reply #56 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 5:09pm

Name me a US Presidential campaigner who hasn't slavishly grovelled to the Christian lobby, or crawled on his hands and knees over to AIPAC?

It's easy to look at them and laugh. But lets not kid ourselves what the West is like.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #57 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 9:59pm

freediver wrote on Dec 16th, 2017 at 3:16pm:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

They don’t reflect the institutions that once existed prior to European colonisation

Regarding diamond, I haven’t read the book Collapse.

If a country is transplanting westernisation to another country then it doesn’t take as long as clearly. But there have been only a few exceptions, mainly in Asian countries, such as South Korea, Japan and Taiwan. But in all cases they were spurred on by Japan anyway so they can’t really be counted. Japan is an exception to the rule.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #58 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 10:01pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Dec 16th, 2017 at 3:42pm:

Police make people follow road rules, Augie. No one wants to follow rules. Most are enforced.

Really? I think that most people are willing to follow road rules because we have that civil sense.

This sense is brought on by the fact that we expect consistency. We have been shaped by strong institutions.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #59 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 10:52pm

Auggie wrote on Dec 16th, 2017 at 10:01pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on Dec 16th, 2017 at 3:42pm:

Really? I think that most people are willing to follow road rules because we have that civil sense.

This sense is brought on by the fact that we expect consistency. We have been shaped by strong institutions.

I've been watching road rules change in Thailand over the past few years. Now, everyone wears motorbike helmets. Drivers are licensed. Cars don't go through red lights - oh, and they have traffic lights. Why?

Because the big provinces in Thailand have had a concerted police effort to shape an orderly, safe road system. Police now issue fines. The government has seen the effect of the revenue this brings in, and the hospitals and morgues have seen fewer injuries and deaths.

The only people changing this are police. Tuk tuk and taxi drivers haven't suddenly slowed down and decided to drive safe. They're motivated to avoid fines.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17
Send Topic Print