Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 17
Send Topic Print
Iranian democracy (Read 27856 times)
Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Re: Iranian democracy
Reply #15 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 1:19pm

I'll give the Iranian government a Hi5 for refusing to release captured Australian Muslims who fought for ISIS where they are now imprisoned in Syria.

Our luvvies have been begging the Iranians to release them so they can return to Australia.

I wonder what a plebiscite on that would show in Australia.

Public sentiment and government decisions on these matters are poles apart, giving the lie that we live under a Representative Democracy.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #16 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 2:18pm

Brian Ross wrote on Dec 10th, 2017 at 12:58pm:
freediver wrote on Dec 10th, 2017 at 11:33am:
Quote:
Democracy is practised in many Islamic nations, including Iran (in, I admit a modified form but no more than in the USA).

Can you explain what you mean by this Brian?

Democracy depends upon the citizenry voting.  This occurs in both the US and Iran.   Both use a modified outcome to determine who won the election.   Therefore, both use modified democracy, FD.    Roll Eyes

Can you explain the highlighted bit?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #17 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 2:37pm

freediver wrote on Dec 10th, 2017 at 2:18pm:
Quote:
Democracy is practised in many Islamic nations, including Iran (in, I admit a modified form but no more than in the USA).

Democracy depends upon the citizenry voting.  This occurs in both the US and Iran.   Both use a modified outcome to determine who won the election.   Therefore, both use modified democracy, FD.    Roll Eyes

I can feel another 'Kodak moment' coming on.

Brian's about to be thrown under the bus, as always.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #18 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 5:05pm

Quote:

That is obvious from what I have already typed, FD.  If you need it spelt out, I'd recommend you look up on Google the US's "Electoral College" votes versus the "popular vote".   It will help you to understand the point I am making.    Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #19 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 5:07pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Dec 10th, 2017 at 2:37pm:
Quote:

I can feel another 'Kodak moment' coming on.

Brian's about to be thrown under the bus, as always.

Oh, dearie, dearie, me.  Tsk, tsk. poor, poor, Herbie.  How is your Dual Citizenship coming along?  When are you moving back to the PRC?    Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 6:46pm

Quote:

FD, could you please explain the democratic elements of Roman government under the Caesars? Include in your account their systems of popular representation. Finally, compare and contrast them with the tribal councils of the early  caliphates.

When you're done doing that, we'll revisit your graph, okay? I'm even happy to give your inbreeding map another peek.

If you answer, we could carry this conversation on for another few years. And we all know how much you want that, ya?

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #21 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 7:44pm

Execute ten a week until the rest learn to vote the right way.,....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #22 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 8:49pm

Brian Ross wrote on Dec 9th, 2017 at 10:26pm:
Gordon wrote on Dec 9th, 2017 at 10:05pm:
I hold more hope for Persians over the sunnis arab nut jobs

The Persians at least into art and music and I think it will be that which leads them out of the darkness of islam.

You know, that's an interesting comment, Gordon.  Unusually so for you.   You realise that 20 years ago, people like you and Soren, and FD and Herbie and everybody else was saying exactly the reverse?   "Better the Sunnis than those nutjob Sh'ia!"   Roll Eyes

See I'd have never picked the Sunnis over the Persians.

Just a casual glance at hard-line sunnis shows a grim spartian culture of total submission to Islam nearly devoid of art and music and colour.

Persians have a very fine culture of art and music which predates Islam and it's continued to seep thru and ads colour to their lives, and despite the hardline Shia whackjob tendencies, I think it's that which will open the window to an overall more enlightened culture, free of Islam.

The only reason one would have backed the Sunnis over the Shia was for geopolitical reasons.

IBI

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #23 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 8:53pm

Gordon wrote on Dec 10th, 2017 at 8:49pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Dec 9th, 2017 at 10:26pm:
Gordon wrote on Dec 9th, 2017 at 10:05pm:
I hold more hope for Persians over the sunnis arab nut jobs

The Persians at least into art and music and I think it will be that which leads them out of the darkness of islam.

You know, that's an interesting comment, Gordon.  Unusually so for you.   You realise that 20 years ago, people like you and Soren, and FD and Herbie and everybody else was saying exactly the reverse?   "Better the Sunnis than those nutjob Sh'ia!"   Roll Eyes

See I'd have never picked the Sunnis over the Persians.

Just a casual glance at hard-line sunnis shows a grim spartian culture of total submission to Islam nearly devoid of art and music and colour.

Persians have a very fine culture of art and music which predates Islam and it's continued to seep thru and ads colour to their lives, and despite the hardline Shia whackjob tendencies, I think it's that which will open the window to an overall more enlightened culture, free of Islam.

The only reason one would have backed the Sunnis over the Shia was for geopolitical reasons.

An interesting conclusion, Gordon.  One that President Reagan subscribed to, when he backed the Afghani Mujihadeen against the Soviets.   Oh, and the Iraqis against the Iranians and the Kuwaitis against the Iranians and the Saudis against the Iranians.   Funny, everybody seemed to be anti-Iranian, anti-Shi'ia in those days.  Nowadays, it's all anti-Sunni...

Gee, I wonder if geopolitics is more important than religio-politics in the eyes of the secular West?    Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2017 at 5:00pm by Brian Ross »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #24 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 9:18pm

Brian Ross wrote on Dec 10th, 2017 at 5:05pm:
Quote:

That is obvious from what I have already typed, FD.  If you need it spelt out, I'd recommend you look up on Google the US's "Electoral College" votes versus the "popular vote".   It will help you to understand the point I am making.    Roll Eyes

Brian this is no less idiotic than comparing our democracy with Iran because we have representatives rather than direct democracy. It is still a far cry from the circular appointment process used in Iran.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #25 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 8:58am

freediver wrote on Dec 10th, 2017 at 9:18pm:

.....the circular appointment process used in Iran.

In the Iranian democratic process, it appears, that THE GUARDIAN COUNCIL controls who may stand as a candidate in all elections [for places in their parliament].

Yadda said.....
http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1234921577/13#13
Quote:

There is an informative BBC page here, a graphic presentation [click on different parts of the graphic] which reveals the structure and tight control of political power within IRAN.....

It is all very incestuous.

The clerics [not Allah] decide, who can stand for political office, and who can participate in voting.

IRAN - GUARDIAN COUNCIL
[on the page that loads......] "Click on the chart.....to unravel Iran's complex political system"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/middle_east/03/iran_power/html/guardian_co...

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #26 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 5:02pm

Brian this is no less idiotic than comparing our democracy with Iran because we have representatives rather than direct democracy. It is still a far cry from the circular appointment process used in Iran.

So, the circular appointment process of the "primaries" doesn't count to you, FD?  The use of an "electoral college" versus the "popular vote"?   I never claimed they were identical BTW, just "similar".    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #27 - Dec 12th, 2017 at 11:06am

Iran is partially democratic, but not to the same extent as America or Australia.

The Progressive President

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #28 - Dec 12th, 2017 at 12:34pm

Brian Ross wrote on Dec 11th, 2017 at 5:02pm:

So, the circular appointment process of the "primaries" doesn't count to you, FD?  The use of an "electoral college" versus the "popular vote"?   I never claimed they were identical BTW, just "similar".    Roll Eyes

How is it circular Brian?

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #29 - Dec 12th, 2017 at 12:54pm

If I may make a point about the electoral college.

It is a 'democratic' manner of voting because the electors vote according to the will of the people, which is the democratic principal.

HOWEVER,

It is not a majoritarian system, because of how the value of votes is determined by the electors.

The Progressive President

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 17
Send Topic Print