Iranian democracy (Read 27690 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Iranian democracy
Dec 8th, 2017 at 7:55pm

Brian Ross wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 3:40pm:
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/12/128170/2467911-yawn_20smiley.jpg

Oh, dearie, dearie, me.   Tsk, tsk, I am always surprised at the gross ignorance displayed by Islamophobes all the time.   Democracy is practised in many Islamic nations, including Iran (in, I admit a modified form but no more than in the USA).   Most Mosques are organised democratically.    I wonder where the Islamophobes get this idea that Islam does not accept democracy?   I really do wonder.   Gee, could it be from the Muslim extremists who don't like the idea that they have to win an election?   Nah, of course not...   Roll Eyes

Brian Ross wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Oh, dearie, dearie, me.  Tsk, tsk, see what I said where the Islamophobes get this idea that democracy is incompatible with Islam?   From the Extremists.   What a shame that the modern world has by and large, moved on from the days of the Caliphate.  Only it's supporters claim it is how Islam should be organised.  What does that make you, Soren?   Back to the Madrassah with you, my boy.  I'm sure there is some more K'ran for you to rote learn.     Roll Eyes

This reminds me of Abu explaining that Islam is entirely compatible with democracy, but just has a slightly different take on it - only Muslims can vote, only Muslims can run for office, and Shariah law is the only platform you can run on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_Iran

The politics of Iran take place in a framework of a theocracy in a format of syncretic politics that is guided by Islamic ideology.

In addition, there are representatives elected from appointed organizations (usually under the Supreme Leader's control) to "protect the state's Islamic character".[1]

The Guardian Council is an appointed and constitutionally mandated 12-member council with considerable power. It approves or vetoes legislative bills from the Islamic Consultative Assembly (the Iranian Parliament), and approves or forbids candidates seeking office to the Assembly of Experts, the Presidency and the parliament,[26] Six of the twelve members are Islamic faqihs (expert in Islamic Law) selected by the Supreme Leader of Iran, and the other six are jurists nominated by the Head of the Judicial system (who is also appointed by the Supreme Leader),[27], and approved by the Iranian Parliament.[28]

According to the constitution, the Guardian Council oversees and approves electoral candidates for most national elections in Iran. The Guardian Council has 12 members, six clerics, appointed by the Supreme Leader and six jurists, elected by the Majlis from among the Muslim jurists nominated by the Head of the Judicial System, who is appointed by the Supreme Leader. According to the current law, the Guardian Council approves the Assembly of Experts candidates, who in turn supervise and elect the Supreme Leader.
The reformists say this system creates a closed circle of power.[86] Iranian reformists, such as Mohammad-Ali Abtahi have considered this to be the core legal obstacle for the reform movement in Iran.

How exactly is that 'no more modified' version of democracy than in the US? Does the US president appoint a council to appoint candidates for president?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Iranian democracy
Reply #1 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 7:29pm

freediver wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 7:55pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 3:40pm:
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/12/128170/2467911-yawn_20smiley.jpg

Oh, dearie, dearie, me.   Tsk, tsk, I am always surprised at the gross ignorance displayed by Islamophobes all the time.   Democracy is practised in many Islamic nations, including Iran (in, I admit a modified form but no more than in the USA).   Most Mosques are organised democratically.    I wonder where the Islamophobes get this idea that Islam does not accept democracy?   I really do wonder.   Gee, could it be from the Muslim extremists who don't like the idea that they have to win an election?   Nah, of course not...   Roll Eyes

Brian Ross wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Oh, dearie, dearie, me.  Tsk, tsk, see what I said where the Islamophobes get this idea that democracy is incompatible with Islam?   From the Extremists.   What a shame that the modern world has by and large, moved on from the days of the Caliphate.  Only it's supporters claim it is how Islam should be organised.  What does that make you, Soren?   Back to the Madrassah with you, my boy.  I'm sure there is some more K'ran for you to rote learn.     Roll Eyes

This reminds me of Abu explaining that Islam is entirely compatible with democracy, but just has a slightly different take on it - only Muslims can vote, only Muslims can run for office, and Shariah law is the only platform you can run on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_Iran

The politics of Iran take place in a framework of a theocracy in a format of syncretic politics that is guided by Islamic ideology.

In addition, there are representatives elected from appointed organizations (usually under the Supreme Leader's control) to "protect the state's Islamic character".[1]

The Guardian Council is an appointed and constitutionally mandated 12-member council with considerable power. It approves or vetoes legislative bills from the Islamic Consultative Assembly (the Iranian Parliament), and approves or forbids candidates seeking office to the Assembly of Experts, the Presidency and the parliament,[26] Six of the twelve members are Islamic faqihs (expert in Islamic Law) selected by the Supreme Leader of Iran, and the other six are jurists nominated by the Head of the Judicial system (who is also appointed by the Supreme Leader),[27], and approved by the Iranian Parliament.[28]

According to the constitution, the Guardian Council oversees and approves electoral candidates for most national elections in Iran. The Guardian Council has 12 members, six clerics, appointed by the Supreme Leader and six jurists, elected by the Majlis from among the Muslim jurists nominated by the Head of the Judicial System, who is appointed by the Supreme Leader. According to the current law, the Guardian Council approves the Assembly of Experts candidates, who in turn supervise and elect the Supreme Leader.
The reformists say this system creates a closed circle of power.[86] Iranian reformists, such as Mohammad-Ali Abtahi have considered this to be the core legal obstacle for the reform movement in Iran.

How exactly is that 'no more modified' version of democracy than in the US? Does the US president appoint a council to appoint candidates for president?

Well, Mr Trump has appointed experts himself, FD. They might be his sons, daughter and son-in-law,  but they know thing or two about life. Mr Trump's also the Supreme Leader, so there are similarities.

But I'm curious. You identified the Afghani and Iraqi governments as successful democracies because they hold erections. Iran has erections too. Ipso facto, it must be a 'no more modified' version of democracy than the US as Abu says, yes?

We're more alike than we're different, no?

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #2 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 9:53pm

Iranian democra...  Grin Grin  Grin

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #3 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 10:05pm

I hold more hope for Persians over the sunnis arab nut jobs

The Persians at least into art and music and I think it will be that which leads them out of the darkness of islam.

IBI

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #4 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 10:26pm

Gordon wrote on Dec 9th, 2017 at 10:05pm:

The Persians at least into art and music and I think it will be that which leads them out of the darkness of islam.

You know, that's an interesting comment, Gordon.  Unusually so for you.   You realise that 20 years ago, people like you and Soren, and FD and Herbie and everybody else was saying exactly the reverse?   "Better the Sunnis than those nutjob Sh'ia!"   Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2017 at 10:37pm by Brian Ross »  

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 10:29pm

nobody knew who the sunni and shia were before 9/11.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #6 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 10:38pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Dec 9th, 2017 at 10:29pm:

Of course they did, Hammer.  You're forgetting, the Iranian Revolution occurred in 1978.    Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 10:54pm

Brian Ross wrote on Dec 9th, 2017 at 10:38pm:

Of course they did, Hammer.  You're forgetting, the Iranian Revolution occurred in 1978.    Roll Eyes
Nobody cared about the Iranian revolution in 78 brian.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 11:35pm

Do you?

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #9 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 12:21am

Mr Hammer wrote on Dec 9th, 2017 at 10:54pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Dec 9th, 2017 at 10:38pm:

Nobody cared about the Iranian revolution in 78 brian.

Everybody cared about it. Hammer.  History trumps you again.  Washington was selling high-tech weapons to the Shah's regime.   Iraq planned to invade Iran.   Saudi Arabia was frightened of Iranian aggression over the Haj.  Israel was frightened of the possibility of Iranian aggression.   The Russians feared the possibility of the spread of Iranian extremism to Central Asia, which in turn prompted their decision to invade Afghanistan.   Pakistan worried about the dangers of Iranian aggression.    It all came together because of the Iranian Revolution.   Tsk, tsk.    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #10 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 10:39am

Gordon wrote on Dec 9th, 2017 at 10:05pm:

You can say what you like about the Shah, but Persians had a lot more freedom under his regime than the do under the witch-doctors of Islam. Oh, and notice who is defending them again? Our resident closet Muzlims.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #11 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 11:33am

Quote:
Democracy is practised in many Islamic nations, including Iran (in, I admit a modified form but no more than in the USA).

Can you explain what you mean by this Brian?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 12:15pm

freediver wrote on Dec 10th, 2017 at 11:33am:
Quote:
Democracy is practised in many Islamic nations, including Iran (in, I admit a modified form but no more than in the USA).

Do you want to have a stab at Iraq being the next South Korea?

A tricky claim to defend, I know.

You could always ask Brian more questions, I guess.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #13 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 12:25pm

Any muslim nation and true democracy is as oxymoronic as army intelligence.

You can't be a democracy if you are already a theocracy and usually a pretty fkken vicious one at that.

To be a true democracy you have to destroy religion to the point of irrelevancy, where no religious leader is taken seriously and no leader takes religion seriously.

So no gold logie winners over to the lodge for fkking ramadan is a good start

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #14 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 12:58pm

freediver wrote on Dec 10th, 2017 at 11:33am:
Quote:

Democracy depends upon the citizenry voting.  This occurs in both the US and Iran.   Both use a modified outcome to determine who won the election.   Therefore, both use modified democracy, FD.    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 17
Send Topic Print