Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
No sir, 14 chooks per m2 is not free range (Read 1275 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

No sir, 14 chooks per m2 is not free range
Jul 25th, 2017 at 2:03pm

One of WA’s biggest egg producers has been fined $750,000 for misleading customers by claiming its produce was free range when it was highly unlikely most of its chickens could move around outside.

A Federal Court judgment handed down in May last year found Snowdale Holdings breached consumer protection laws by making false or misleading representations that its eggs were free range.

Snowdale, which sold to retailers Coles and Woolworths, supplied eggs under brands including Eggs by Ellah, Swan Valley Free Range and Wanneroo Free Range.

Justice Antony Siopis fined the company this morning and ordered it to pay $300,000 in costs.

The action against Snowdale was taken by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission over conditions for its chickens between April 2011 and December 2013.

During a three-week trial in 2015, it was alleged some of Snowdale’s barns at Carabooda and in the Swan Valley held up to 18,000 chickens – or 14 animals a square metre – with only a few exits to outdoor ranges.

The company used advertising that included claims its eggs were “free range” and images of chickens in “grassy fields”.

The ACCC argued a significant amount of consumers would reasonably think the words free range meant something more than up to 18,000 hens in a barn with a few exits.

Justice Siopis ruled the ACCC had established most of the hens in relevant sheds did not move around freely on an open range on an ordinary day.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Re: No sir, 14 chooks per m2 is not free range
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 2:04pm

Now could His Honour please turn his attention to all the chooks in cages?

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 3:25pm

Disgusting...What are Coles and other companies going to do about it? If nothing stop buying there

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 3:30pm

-

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #4 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 3:30pm

I had three chooks. They ranged through my large backyard. Beyootifool eggs, still dream of them. Never raised hens for meat—thought of all the plucking to be done, no thanks.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 3:51pm

red baron wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 3:25pm:
Disgusting...What are Coles and other companies going to do about it? If nothing stop buying there

mate its up to the consumer.. you and I...I have only bought one brand of eggs since forever.. in fact they may have been the first of the free range...

its the same with the chicken   their lives are miserable...

if we treat an animal  like this we are not allowed to have animals for about 10 years   

how come these egg farmers are not closed down????...its animal cruelty

we use grand statements now dont we..

this is about using FREE RANGE on its cartons.. not about those poor animals...god the more I read about WA the worse it gets.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 3:55pm

cods wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 3:51pm:
mate its up to the consumer.

the consumer is entitled to believe that eggs labelled free range do in fact come from free range chickens.  Unless you expect consumers to visit the farms before they make a purchase?

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #7 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 3:58pm

Freerange ?-I just always bought whatever fit my shopping budget- was only ever a scam-  they can do what they like to animals used for produce-  complete misery and despair - 
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2017 at 4:06pm by Agnes »  

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #8 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 4:08pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 3:30pm:
I had three chooks. They ranged through my large backyard. Beyootifool eggs, still dream of them. Never raised hens for meat—thought of all the plucking to be done, no thanks.

Demi plucked them for free remember and removed the gizzards as a free service-

IP Logged

Black Orchid
Gold Member

Reply #9 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 4:15pm

cods wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 3:51pm:
mate its up to the consumer.. you and I...I have only bought one brand of eggs since forever.. in fact they may have been the first of the free range...

I only ever buy free range eggs and would like to think that it is strictly regulated enough so that they actually are what they claim to be ie free range.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #10 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 4:35pm

Im not sure its even possible to be a profitable, large scale egg producer.

Given that chickens will destroy any and all vegetation within their reach, a huge amount of land per head is required to raise them in any degree of comfort.

We (ie you) are used to eggs within a certain price range and its just not enough to support a large operation and the resources it requires.  Its all very well saying youll pay an extra dollar or 2 per carton, but its still not enough.  I think itd be more like an extra dollar per egg, and that price just isnt going to fly.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 5:15pm

Who here claims to know the thoughts of a chook?
Or are you anthropomorphizing.

I think I read a study where they measured the stress hormone levels in chooks and the caged birds had less stress.

You should start thinking about chooks the way I think about most humans.

Simple minded creatures without enough brain capacity to know the difference

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 5:17pm

However the company that was cheating should be fined.
Free range eggs should cost about $15 per dozen

IP Logged

crocodile
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 5:47pm

miketrees wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 5:17pm:
However the company that was cheating should be fined.
Free range eggs should cost about $15 per dozen

They'll sell plenty at that price won't they.

I never buy 'free range' eggs. Easy to spot the scam. There seems to be more free range eggs in the supermarket than there are chooks in the country.

Had five chooks in our backyard 'till a fox got hungry.

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 5:49pm

I never buy 'free range' eggs. Easy to spot the scam.

See Organic,,,,, same deal.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #15 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 8:08pm

Don't pluck them then, skin them and use the meat.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #16 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 9:45pm

Setanta wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 8:08pm:

He will keep that in mind for next time- Demi ( his dog) chewed into the little wing dings- even the gizzards- cant trust those horrible creatures that aren't cats you know

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #17 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 9:50pm

Agnes wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 9:45pm:
Setanta wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 8:08pm:

He will keep that in mind for next time- Demi ( his dog) chewed into the little wing dings- even the gizzards- cant trust those horrible creatures that aren't cats you know

I'm not a Muslim or a Jew, if they weren't too badly damaged they would have at least made chicken soup.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #18 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 10:23pm

I used to work in the Poultry Industry,
even as a Chicken Sexer for a short period before I was replaced for 'cheaper Asian Labour' brought in under the cover of 'Back-Packer Visas' (6 month rotation of workers from South Korea) - not that they actually stayed in Back Packer Hostels.  Roll Eyes

The problem with 'MASS PRODUCTION' poultry is that you really buy very poor quality produce. The only justification for 'mass production' is to feed over-populated nations.

Besides the poor conditions of the chickens, grain fed, dismal lighting, cramped conditions, etc.
The eggs themselves are 'fumigated' in Hatcheries with at least x5 bombardments of FORMALDEHYDE !!!

A large number of those eggs that hatch are genetically stuffed both physically and mentally - legs coming out of abdomens, eyes rolling around furiously, etc.

They also used to 'macerate' the unwanted chickens - live.
Now though, most places just 'gas' the chickens to 'forever-sleep'. Which is far better unless you are 'jewish'.

I even tried a 'Supermarket' pre-cooked cheap chicken last night and it went through me faster than a curry or chilli dish.

There was an American Company, that owns 90% of the Global Market, that came to Australia to finish the job and own 100% of the Global Market of 'Mass Production Poultry'.
They had already bought 'Inghams' - but with good warning  Wink, the other Australian Companies and Independents put up a good fight and pushed those American plans back a fair bit.

American's go about business via 'Destroy the Competition' rather than compete fairly. Take a hint from the America's Cup.  Tongue
Lucky Australia didn't sell 'Grain Corp'  or it would have been 'Grain Dead' in 3 years  Cry

I could say a lot more - but I gotta watch myself a bit here.
Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #19 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 10:30pm

Jasin wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 10:23pm:
even as a Chicken Sexer for a short period before I was replaced for 'cheaper Asian Labour' brought in under the cover of 'Back-Packer Visas' (6 month rotation of workers from South Korea) - not that they actually stayed in Back Packer Hostels.  Roll Eyes

The problem with 'MASS PRODUCTION' poultry is that you really buy very poor quality produce. The only justification for 'mass production' is to feed over-populated nations.

Besides the poor conditions of the chickens, grain fed, dismal lighting, cramped conditions, etc.
The eggs themselves are 'fumigated' in Hatcheries with at least x5 bombardments of FORMALDEHYDE !!!

A large number of those eggs that hatch are genetically stuffed both physically and mentally - legs coming out of abdomens, eyes rolling around furiously, etc.

Now though, most places just 'gas' the chickens to 'forever-sleep'. Which is far better unless you are 'jewish'.

I even tried a 'Supermarket' pre-cooked cheap chicken last night and it went through me faster than a curry or chilli dish.

There was an American Company, that owns 90% of the Global Market, that came to Australia to finish the job and own 100% of the Global Market of 'Mass Production Poultry'.
They had already bought 'Inghams' - but with good warning  Wink, the other Australian Companies and Independents put up a good fight and pushed those American plans back a fair bit.

American's go about business via 'Destroy the Competition' rather than compete fairly. Take a hint from the America's Cup.  Tongue
Lucky Australia didn't sell 'Grain Corp'  or it would have been 'Grain Dead' in 3 years  Cry

Wink

Du bist eine huhner ficker? Shocked

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #20 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 10:46pm

Setanta wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 10:30pm:
Jasin wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 10:23pm:

Wink

Considering I just told my German employer where to go today and am unemployed again.
I have no idea what that says.  Huh

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #21 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 10:54pm

Jasin wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 10:46pm:

Considering I just told my German employer where to go today and am unemployed again.

I won't translate it for you, google will but it relates to your job as a chicken sexer. Grin

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #22 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 11:00pm

Is it true the male chicks are ground up,  dried and turned into  chicken salt?

IBI

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #23 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 11:04pm

Gordon wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 11:00pm:

You want chicken salt? Suck this, points at something, it's foul and salty! Grin

Seriously though, they are ground up alive. No idea how quick it is but probably faster than having your body parts amputated for sale while you are still alive as happens in Asia.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #24 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 11:06pm

Gordon wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 11:00pm:

Grin
No. But the Chinese Restaurants in Melbourne sell baby chickens as Quail  Wink

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #25 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 11:07pm

Setanta wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 10:54pm:

I won't translate it for you, google will but it relates to your job as a chicken sexer. Grin

You're an incubadoras ****er!

Grin
It can make you $1000 a day  Wink

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #26 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 11:08pm

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #27 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 11:11pm

Jasin wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 11:07pm:

Grin

Don't you be talking about my wife like that!
If you have a wife that needs a bit of sexing, I'll do it half price, mates rates.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #28 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 11:28pm

Setanta wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 11:11pm:

Grin

If you have a wife that needs a bit of sexing, I'll do it half price, mates rates.

Mate's Rate is always just 10%.
That's like 10mm of fun you'll be getting.  Grin
Alas, no I don't have a 'wife'.
She's still in the Prison wondering where I got to.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #29 - Jul 25th, 2017 at 11:31pm

Jasin wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 11:28pm:
Setanta wrote on Jul 25th, 2017 at 11:11pm:

Grin

Mate's Rate is always just 10%.
That's like 10mm of fun you'll be getting.  Grin
Alas, no I don't have a 'wife'.
She's still in the Prison wondering where I got to.

I don't do anal but I Greg might know someone. Wink

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print