Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: Should taxpayers money pay for private education ?

Yes    
  11 (35.5%)
No    
  20 (64.5%)

Total votes: 31
« Created by: Sir lastnail on: May 7th, 2012 at 11:47am »

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 22
Send Topic Print
Should taxpayer pay for private education? (Read 19098 times)
Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Re: Should taxpayer pay for private education?
Reply #240 - May 12th, 2012 at 3:08pm

http://www.forourfuture.org.au/862149.html

Theres plenty of funding for public schools. Public school students would not be "worse off".

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #241 - May 12th, 2012 at 3:15pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on May 12th, 2012 at 3:08pm:

Theres plenty of funding for public schools. Public school students would not be "worse off".

SOB

Parents pay taxes. The state dispenses that tax money to schools. Some parents, in private schools, are willing to pay extra. Why penalise them?
Parents in public schools are also free to contribute to the school funds. Why don't they? Would you penalise them for paying extra by removing a commensurate amount of state funding from that public school?

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #242 - May 12th, 2012 at 3:28pm

Soren wrote on May 12th, 2012 at 12:30pm:
Annie Anthrax wrote on May 12th, 2012 at 11:58am:

Quote:
As for Muslims in education -I asked you to look around in your circle of Lebanese high achievers , like everyone else should look in their own circles, and tell me if anyone has been held back by lack of 'adequate resources' for state schools.

No. They've all been very lucky and they're doing their best to reach their potential.

Lucky??
Are you Chinese/Malaysian?

You know I'm not. What has it to do with luck?

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #243 - May 12th, 2012 at 3:40pm

Soren wrote on May 12th, 2012 at 3:15pm:

SOB

Parents pay taxes. The state dispenses that tax money to schools. Some parents, in private schools, are willing to pay extra. Why penalise them?
Parents in public schools are also free to contribute to the school funds. Why don't they? Would you penalise them for paying extra by removing a commensurate amount of state funding from that public school?

Did you read my link? you didnt did you.

If a school is funded by the government it should be a public school. If ppl want to pay more for their education they can go to a non-funded private school.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #244 - May 12th, 2012 at 4:10pm

SOB

Hence my request for you to attempt to explain the mechanism in your own words, because after 17 pages of your mind numbing BS you obviously still have no idea what people are trying to tell you.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #245 - May 12th, 2012 at 4:18pm

freediver wrote on May 12th, 2012 at 4:10pm:

SOB

Hence my request for you to attempt to explain the mechanism in your own words, because after 17 pages of your mind numbing BS you obviously still have no idea what people are trying to tell you.

Nothing much I have said has changed but this link (did you read it?) shows that if you take the funding from the private schools you will have enough to fund public schools more than twice as much. Thats plenty.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

nairbe
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rural NSW
Reply #246 - May 12th, 2012 at 4:56pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on May 7th, 2012 at 10:23am:
blackadder wrote on May 7th, 2012 at 9:07am:
It should be made to follow a state curriculum though to avoid having a country like america where students only get taught subjects "approved" by their nutter parents.

Oh dear, another dummy from the public system.

Private schools do follow the State curriculum.

Do you really think the private schools set their own HSC exams??

I didnt say they didnt. But the yanks do not. Im just saying we shouldn't bring in their system. "Dummy".

SOB

Private schools are only required to follow the curriculum if they wish to receive federal funding, otherwise they are able to do as they please such as Montessori. The board of Studies in NSW sets the standards exames and those are what HSC are and NAPLANS by the feds.

"Faced with what is right, to leave it undone shows a lack of courage."
Confucius

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #247 - May 12th, 2012 at 5:01pm

nairbe wrote on May 12th, 2012 at 4:56pm:
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on May 7th, 2012 at 10:23am:
blackadder wrote on May 7th, 2012 at 9:07am:
It should be made to follow a state curriculum though to avoid having a country like america where students only get taught subjects "approved" by their nutter parents.

Oh dear, another dummy from the public system.

Private schools do follow the State curriculum.

Do you really think the private schools set their own HSC exams??

I didnt say they didnt. But the yanks do not. Im just saying we shouldn't bring in their system. "Dummy".

SOB

Private schools are only required to follow the curriculum if they wish to receive federal funding, otherwise they are able to do as they please such as Montessori. The board of Studies in NSW sets the standards exames and those are what HSC are and NAPLANS by the feds.

I didnt know that. Whats to stop them not teaching science then? Or math? or english?

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

hawil
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #248 - May 12th, 2012 at 6:09pm

longweekend58 wrote on May 11th, 2012 at 9:38pm:
hawil wrote on May 11th, 2012 at 8:22pm:
freediver wrote on May 8th, 2012 at 8:32pm:
hawil wrote on May 8th, 2012 at 8:29pm:
freediver wrote on May 8th, 2012 at 8:18pm:
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on May 8th, 2012 at 12:42pm:
How does saving money mean better education?

Because it means that we get more value for the amount we spend. It means that both public and private school students get a better education out of the amount of money spent by the government. This is true regardless of how much money the government actually spends. It is illogical to link the public/private debate with the broader debate on how much should be spent on education.

Private education system is mainly practised in english speaking countries, compared to other European countries.
I cannot speak for Asian countries, because I do not know their system.
What the private system supports is elitism, because often job applicants from public school system have little chance to get jobs in higher paid jobs.
My own children, who were both educated in the public system can vouch for that, yet now they are using the private system to educate their own children, to give them a better chance in life, yet at considerable cost and effort.
The irony of all this is, that the students in the European countries with little or no private school systems perform as well or better than students from the dual system.

You are confusing two separate issues. The value placed on education, and the total amount spent, are separate issues to the private/public debate. Subsidised private schools improve the education for all students, regardless of the total amount spent by the government. It is effectively an extra education tax on the rich that allows the rich to put more money into both public and private education, for the benefit of all.

Maybe you are confusing things, or you are trying to confuse other readers on this forum.
You did not mention elitism, created by the dual education systems.
Why is Australia performing so poorly, compared to some other developed countries as far as education goes.

because we dont perform badly. Why do you think we have an education INDUSTRY for foreign students including from UK and USA dn Europe?  because it is very good and relatively cheap.

Neither Freediver nor you have responded to my allegation of elitism, a bit like politicians at question time.
Just because foreign students come here to study have at times other motives, like rich foreigners being able to buy real estate in Australia for their children.
I read just recently that the australian students are well down the list of performance, compared to countries where there is hardly any private schooling.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #249 - May 12th, 2012 at 7:24pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on May 12th, 2012 at 4:18pm:
freediver wrote on May 12th, 2012 at 4:10pm:

SOB

Nothing much I have said has changed but this link (did you read it?) shows that if you take the funding from the private schools you will have enough to fund public schools more than twice as much. Thats plenty.

SOB

It is wrong.

You really should try coming up with an argument yourself. It forces you to understand the issue, rather than just googling for someone who agrees with you.

Quote:
Neither Freediver nor you have responded to my allegation of elitism, a bit like politicians at question time.

Because it is a non-issue - it is simple minded politics of envy.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #250 - May 12th, 2012 at 7:33pm

Quote:
It is wrong.

No. You are wrong.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #251 - May 12th, 2012 at 7:52pm

SOB

'plenty of funding' 

Aparently our SOB has very little idea how budgets operate... or schools... or arithmetic... or...

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #252 - May 12th, 2012 at 7:57pm

Your link is worthless because it comes from the education union which is - to put it mildly - hopelessly left-wing and terribly biased against private ANYTHING. everytime this debate comes out they trot out the same old arguments which are routinely destroyed by every quater of the industry and politics. the union always claims that priavet schools get more funding than public schools because they conveniently ignored state govt funding (which is where the bulk of funding comes from).

yes SOB, you are an idiot and 18 pages of min-numbing stupidity has only confirmed that you make even less sense that lastnail and frankly, few would have thought that possible.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #253 - May 12th, 2012 at 11:31pm

nairbe wrote on May 12th, 2012 at 12:13pm:
Soren wrote on May 11th, 2012 at 10:51pm:
nairbe wrote on May 11th, 2012 at 8:23pm:
Why would i pay tax so someone can send their child to Kings. we pay for public education if you want different pay for it.

They are paying more tax than you do, so they are not using any of your tax. PLUS they pay the fees for Kings.
What's your problem then?

They have freely chosen to move outside of the public system. Free country i am glad they have the choice and the wealth to pay for it. but they have chosen to be outside the public system so don't expect it to be paid for. Large sums of tax payers money goes to prop up what are predominately church schools, how about the church pay.

SO their proportion of tax money is not available to them because they chose not to spend it in the government shop, sorry, government school?

How about making private school fees tax deductible then? They pay tax, the tax is not paid by the government to the private schools - give it back to the parents then. Only fair. Why should their tax money be spent on the public schools if they do not send their own kids to those schools.

Make school fees tax deductible, at least.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #254 - May 13th, 2012 at 8:20am

longweekend58 wrote on May 12th, 2012 at 7:52pm:

SOB

'plenty of funding' 

Aparently our SOB has very little idea how budgets operate... or schools... or arithmetic... or...

Did you read it? Obviously not. There is MORE funding in private schools than public schools. This makes them public schools really doesnt it. Take the funding and stick it in public schools where it should be. simple.

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 22
Send Topic Print