Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Macadamia's go nuts with Renewable Energy (Read 396 times)
DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Macadamia's go nuts with Renewable Energy
Jun 9th, 2019 at 10:15am

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2019-05-31/macadamia-factory-turns-to-green-en...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2019-05-31/macadamia-factory-turns-to-green-energy/11152232#lightbox-content-lightbox-8

The Macadamia Processing Company (MPC) has installed a 600-kilowatt solar electricity system on the roof of its factory at Alphadale, near Lismore in northern New South Wales.

The 100 per cent grower-owned cooperative has invested close to $1 million in the solar system, which has been registered with the Federal Government's Clean Energy Regulator as a power station.

MPC's general manager Steven Lee said they expected a full payback for the project in less than three years.
"The equipment's got an effective operating life in excess of 20 years, so we're looking forward to making savings for the life of that project and some pretty significant reduction in energy consumption," he said.
"We're generating a peak of around 400 to 450 kilowatts, depending on how bright the day is and where the sun is.

Green savings promise greater returns for growers
The energy savings from MPC installing a solar system will result in a greater return for macadamia farmers in NSW and Queensland supplying nut to MPC.
"The efficiency savings will allow us to pay our growers more for their macadamia crop into the future, so it's a win for us as a business but also a win for our macadamia suppliers," Mr Lee said.
Lynwood macadamia grower and MPC director Andrew Leslie was fully supportive of the switch to solar and said it was an "excellent move".
"It runs nearly 80 per cent of the day shift in the factory, that's running everything which is a huge impact on the environment and a huge impact financially," he said.
He said the factory also used 100 per cent of the nut with the kernel sold for consumption and the shell waste turned into electricity.
"We use 20 per cent of the shell at the factory for the boilers to run all the heaters and then we sell the remaining 80 per cent of shell to other industry for their boilers and heating set-ups," Mr Leslie said.
"We use 100 per cent of the product, so how environmentally sustainable is that?"

That investment is returning 33% profit every year for 17 years at least , be closer to 27 years....

If every Business in Australia with a factory did this, imagine the saving's, more competitive practices more jobs  Wink

I am me

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Macadamia's go nuts with Renewable Energy
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2019 at 12:10pm

DonDeeHippy wrote on Jun 9th, 2019 at 10:15am:
If every Business in Australia with a factory did this, imagine the saving's, more competitive practices more jobs 

You mean like steel making? Where would that carbon come from?

IP Logged

Robot

Conspirator

Engadine Maccas
Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2019 at 10:26pm

lee wrote on Jun 9th, 2019 at 12:10pm:
If every Business in Australia with a factory did this, imagine the saving's, more competitive practices more jobs 

Probably from a coal mine. Fortunately the steel industry has already figured out that they can get carbon from coal, and have actually been doing it for a while.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2019 at 10:39pm

Robot wrote on Jun 9th, 2019 at 10:26pm:
Probably from a coal mine. Fortunately the steel industry has already figured out that they can get carbon from coal, and have actually been doing it for a while.

Yes but so many want to shut the coal mines down. Bizarre eh? Wink

IP Logged

Robot

Conspirator

Engadine Maccas
Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2019 at 11:47pm

lee wrote on Jun 9th, 2019 at 10:39pm:

You can't shut down all the coal mines. Where would we get coal for the steel factories?

You should be out there telling everyone that, while we should shut down most of the coal mines, we can't shut down all of them.

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #5 - Jun 10th, 2019 at 7:18am

lee wrote on Jun 9th, 2019 at 12:10pm:

what do you mean, if they put solar panels on the factory roof and it supplies some of their electricity during the day and pays for itself for 3 years and lasts over 20 years..... why would carbon be a consideration  Wink

I am me

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #6 - Jun 10th, 2019 at 7:23am

lee wrote on Jun 9th, 2019 at 10:39pm:

Most coal isn't suitable for coking and if it is used most is still used for heat on not the carbon, and they can get carbon from other source'

I don't mind the use of coal as a source of carbon, I don't like when it is used as a fuel or heat  source....
Wink
(even though this topic has nothing to do with solar panels on factory roofs Smiley )

I am me

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #7 - Jun 10th, 2019 at 7:37am

If companies put solar panels on the factory roof and it supplies some of their electricity during the day and pays for itself for 3 years and lasts over 20 years.....
Wouldn't this also take a lot of pressure of the grid...

What I think is amazing a factory can put in solar panels and they pay for them selves in 3 years , they make a profit for the next 17-27 years.  When big power companies do it, we think this is the reason we are paying for more electricity..... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I am me

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Jun 10th, 2019 at 7:38am

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2019-05-31/macadamia-factory-turns-to-green-en...

The Macadamia Processing Company (MPC) has installed a 600-kilowatt solar electricity system on the roof of its factory at Alphadale, near Lismore in northern New South Wales.

The 100 per cent grower-owned cooperative has invested close to $1 million in the solar system, which has been registered with the Federal Government's Clean Energy Regulator as a power station.

MPC's general manager Steven Lee said they expected a full payback for the project in less than three years.
"The equipment's got an effective operating life in excess of 20 years, so we're looking forward to making savings for the life of that project and some pretty significant reduction in energy consumption," he said.
"We're generating a peak of around 400 to 450 kilowatts, depending on how bright the day is and where the sun is.

Green savings promise greater returns for growers
The energy savings from MPC installing a solar system will result in a greater return for macadamia farmers in NSW and Queensland supplying nut to MPC.
"The efficiency savings will allow us to pay our growers more for their macadamia crop into the future, so it's a win for us as a business but also a win for our macadamia suppliers," Mr Lee said.
Lynwood macadamia grower and MPC director Andrew Leslie was fully supportive of the switch to solar and said it was an "excellent move".
"It runs nearly 80 per cent of the day shift in the factory, that's running everything which is a huge impact on the environment and a huge impact financially," he said.
He said the factory also used 100 per cent of the nut with the kernel sold for consumption and the shell waste turned into electricity.
"We use 20 per cent of the shell at the factory for the boilers to run all the heaters and then we sell the remaining 80 per cent of shell to other industry for their boilers and heating set-ups," Mr Leslie said.
"We use 100 per cent of the product, so how environmentally sustainable is that?"

That investment is returning 33% profit every year for 17 years at least , be closer to 27 years....

If every Business in Australia with a factory did this, imagine the saving's, more competitive practices more jobs  Wink

What a well run business.
Great stuff

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print