Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Tony Abort scores $300,000 pension (Read 1501 times)
Mary Black

Re: Tony Abort scores $300,000 pension
Reply #30 - May 22nd, 2019 at 7:59pm

John Smith wrote on May 22nd, 2019 at 7:33pm:
Mary Black wrote on May 22nd, 2019 at 7:28pm:
It is a pity that those who "hate" don't take a large look at themselves, all most do is whine and moan and groan on Forums such as this.

Politics is divisive and dirty. It's about one upmanship.  If you don't like it, instead of a political forum , perhaps you should join a knitting forum.

Is that where you hang out, you seem to know all about it?  Got a link?

IP Logged

matty
Gold Member

Australian Politics

East Sydney
Reply #31 - May 22nd, 2019 at 8:02pm

Also funny to think that Morrison (also having entered in 2004), will get nothing when he retires, and he could be PM for another decade. Yet some two-bit nobody backbenchers from minor parties will get thousands for life.

I am not sure what will happen with Pauline. She entered for her six-year term in 2016, and she could well be there for another six years from 2022-2028. The rule is that those who entered for three terms prior to 2004 would get a pension for life.

Pauline first entered in 1996 and lost her seat in 1998; after multiple attempts didn’t win again until 2016. So she will have served three terms with the first well before 2004 so I assume that she will probably get it, just not sure whether it’s being not only a non-consecutive term, but indeed such a long time between being in parliament.

BILL SHORTEN WILL NEVER BE PM!!!!

IP Logged

matty
Gold Member

Australian Politics

East Sydney
Reply #32 - May 22nd, 2019 at 8:03pm

Dnarever wrote on May 22nd, 2019 at 7:29pm:
Mary Black wrote on May 22nd, 2019 at 6:04pm:
Good on Tony Abbott. He may not have been PM material but he is a tireless worker and does a lot for charity. He is still young (61) and has more to give to the Australian community.

I hope that his replacement, Zali Steggall, serves her community as well as Tony Abbott did.  They won't be pleased if she doesn't.  Wink

Yet he wanted to make sure that we can't retire till 70. Politicians should have to wait till retirement age to collect their pensions too.

Agreed (and what’s a rarity that is) but just be thankful that those entering from 2004 get nothing.

BILL SHORTEN WILL NEVER BE PM!!!!

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - May 22nd, 2019 at 8:10pm

Mary Black wrote on May 22nd, 2019 at 7:57pm:
Dnarever wrote on May 22nd, 2019 at 7:29pm:
Mary Black wrote on May 22nd, 2019 at 6:04pm:
Good on Tony Abbott. He may not have been PM material but he is a tireless worker and does a lot for charity. He is still young (61) and has more to give to the Australian community.

I hope that his replacement, Zali Steggall, serves her community as well as Tony Abbott did.  They won't be pleased if she doesn't.  Wink

Yet he wanted to make sure that we can't retire till 70. Politicians should have to wait till retirement age to collect their pensions too.

Instead of whinging, you, too, could become somebody of importance and get a very nice pay-out.

climb the narrow road to success  Wink

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #34 - May 22nd, 2019 at 8:30pm

matty wrote on May 22nd, 2019 at 8:02pm:
Also funny to think that Morrison (also having entered in 2004), will get nothing when he retires, and he could be PM for another decade. Yet some two-bit nobody backbenchers from minor parties will get thousands for life.

I am not sure what will happen with Pauline. She entered for her six-year term in 2016, and she could well be there for another six years from 2022-2028. The rule is that those who entered for three terms prior to 2004 would get a pension for life.

Pauline first entered in 1996 and lost her seat in 1998; after multiple attempts didn’t win again until 2016. So she will have served three terms with the first well before 2004 so I assume that she will probably get it, just not sure whether it’s being not only a non-consecutive term, but indeed such a long time between being in parliament.

Something wrong with this picture - Pauline accepted $70k cash in lieu in 1998 - thirteen months in Senate qualified her for a cash handout - not a pension or both.

Not bad at the time .... ten times what my super for thirteen years was at the time.... you work that out.... how much more preferential can a super scheme get?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print