Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 32
Send Topic Print
George Pell Has Been Found Guilty Of Child Sexual (Read 29134 times)
Alinta
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: George Pell Has Been Found Guilty Of Child Sexual
Reply #255 - Feb 28th, 2019 at 5:44pm

Aussie wrote on Feb 28th, 2019 at 2:44pm:
Alinta wrote on Feb 28th, 2019 at 10:48am:
greggerypeccary wrote on Feb 28th, 2019 at 9:19am:
Brian Burke (former disgraced WA Premier) has had something to say about juries this morning.

They don't always get things right.

Did he mention unsafe verdict????

ie, two juries.....first 10/2 for acquittal; second 12/0 for conviction. Be it Pell, or Barry from Broadmeadows, I find this discrepancy (among issues already mentioned here) a deeply disturbing aspect.

Alinta.....how does anyone get access to that Jury count information?  In Qld...that is impossible.

I can find nothing that definitively answers your question Aussie. I was myself surprised to read it across several websites. I'd only be guessing but reckon it was discussion in open court between the Judge and Foreperson of the jury following a week's deliberation without unanimity, eg Would an 11 to 1 majority assist the jury? .....and it flowed from there ......but it doesn't really explain why anything about acquittal was mentioned (if in fact it was).  Too many questions to which I cannot find answers.........yet.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #256 - Feb 28th, 2019 at 5:51pm

They may be still censoring Australian news on it

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #257 - Feb 28th, 2019 at 6:11pm

Bobby. wrote on Feb 28th, 2019 at 5:43pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Feb 28th, 2019 at 5:13pm:
Bobby. wrote on Feb 28th, 2019 at 2:40pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Feb 28th, 2019 at 11:34am:
Bobby. wrote on Feb 28th, 2019 at 11:22am:
greggerypeccary wrote on Feb 28th, 2019 at 9:57am:
Bobby. wrote on Feb 28th, 2019 at 9:55am:
At a later date the victim could change his story  -
it's happened before.

Excellent point.

And, as a side note, another fine example of why capital punishment is never a good idea.

I don't agree in the case of the Bourke street massacre.
100s of witnesses to mass murder.

Sure.

However, another fine example of why capital punishment is never a good idea is the fact that the premeditated, state-sanctioned killing of prisoners is not something civilised societies should ever be involved in.

There are many other reasons too.

In the case of the Bourke street massacre -
James Gargasoulas committed mass murder in broad daylight with
100s of witnesses & CTV pics,  and was caught by police
in the car he used as the murder weapon at the scene of the crime.

In his case there is no doubt that he did it ...

Indeed. I have no doubt about his guilt.

However, the premeditated state-sanctioned killing of prisoners is not something civilised societies should ever be involved in.

I don't agree with you.

That's because you're not civilised.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #258 - Feb 28th, 2019 at 6:19pm

I don't know what they are complaining about

Back in the dim dark past
They used to chop off a young boys dangly bits so he could keep his voice for singing

At least they do do that no more

Only muzzos do it now, to young girls
Primitive animals

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #259 - Feb 28th, 2019 at 7:03pm

Alinta wrote on Feb 28th, 2019 at 11:03am:
Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Feb 28th, 2019 at 10:58am:
Brian Burke (former disgraced WA Premier) has had something to say about juries this morning.

ie, two juries.....first 10/2 for acquittal; second 12/0 for conviction. Be it Pell, or Barry from Broadmeadows, I find this discrepancy (among issues already mentioned here) a deeply disturbing aspect.

Is there a link about that 10/2 for acquittal?

One of several....

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/02/why-the-case-against-cardinal-george-pell...

very interesting alinta thank you for that....

because I have no idea what goes on  in the course of Mass or celebrations of the kind in a Catholic church   can we say... they are almost always run in the same fashion....or order may be a better way of saying it....

for instance Pell was newly ordained as an Archbishop.....it would have been a great honor for him I am sure.. why would he not do what he has always done and greet his adoring parishioners , instead  just return alone to to sacristan  where he happened upon two boys whom no one had missed......

and still to this day no one had any idea they apparently left the full choir....and also returned again all without notice.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes.

to me a large choir men and boys....someone would have  seen two boys sneaking off....the victim has said he was terrified of pell.....and yet he says he sneaked behind his back and went to a place that was not open to boys at any time.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I would at least expect one person to have seen something...the boys were dressed in their choir tunics   and were still wearing them when its claimed they returned to the group...all un noticed by anyone....even their choir master didnt miss two boys under his care.......I find it odd.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #260 - Feb 28th, 2019 at 9:37pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Feb 28th, 2019 at 6:11pm:
Bobby. wrote on Feb 28th, 2019 at 5:43pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Feb 28th, 2019 at 5:13pm:
Bobby. wrote on Feb 28th, 2019 at 2:40pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Feb 28th, 2019 at 11:34am:
Bobby. wrote on Feb 28th, 2019 at 11:22am:
greggerypeccary wrote on Feb 28th, 2019 at 9:57am:
Bobby. wrote on Feb 28th, 2019 at 9:55am:
At a later date the victim could change his story  -
it's happened before.

Excellent point.

And, as a side note, another fine example of why capital punishment is never a good idea.

I don't agree in the case of the Bourke street massacre.
100s of witnesses to mass murder.

Sure.

However, another fine example of why capital punishment is never a good idea is the fact that the premeditated, state-sanctioned killing of prisoners is not something civilised societies should ever be involved in.

There are many other reasons too.

In the case of the Bourke street massacre -
James Gargasoulas committed mass murder in broad daylight with
100s of witnesses & CTV pics,  and was caught by police
in the car he used as the murder weapon at the scene of the crime.

In his case there is no doubt that he did it ...

Indeed. I have no doubt about his guilt.

However, the premeditated state-sanctioned killing of prisoners is not something civilised societies should ever be involved in.

I don't agree with you.

That's because you're not civilised.

Greggy - you should get out of your mother's basement -
you're just only lonely:

IP Logged

Alinta
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #261 - Mar 3rd, 2019 at 10:14am

Alinta wrote on Feb 28th, 2019 at 5:44pm:

Alinta.....how does anyone get access to that Jury count information?  In Qld...that is impossible.

I can find nothing that definitively answers your question Aussie. I was myself surprised to read it across several websites. I'd only be guessing but reckon it was discussion in open court between the Judge and Foreperson of the jury following a week's deliberation without unanimity, eg Would an 11 to 1 majority assist the jury? .....and it flowed from there ......but it doesn't really explain why anything about acquittal was mentioned (if in fact it was).  Too many questions to which I cannot find answers.........yet. 

EDIT: Vote count in the mistrial is an unconfirmed rumour....no credible source. 

My apology for misleading the discussion.

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #262 - Mar 4th, 2019 at 7:13am

THeres a Guardian article from one of the few journos to attend every day of the trial. The whole 10-2 innocent in the first trial is complete bullshit. The judge specifically asked not to know what the count was so as to avoid bias in the 2nd.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #263 - Mar 4th, 2019 at 7:14am

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/mar/02/cardinal-george-pells-con...

t has been rumoured that the jurors in the mistrial were split 10-to-two in favour of Pell. Is this right?
This is an unverified rumour with no credible source. There have been plenty of other rumours about the split in the mistrial, including that it was more even. The weight of the split makes no difference. The law requires a unanimous or 11-to-one verdict, and anything else results in a mistrial. The chief judge is not told of the split and he made it clear he did not want to know. Any juror who reveals the split breaks the law.

Advertisement

The mistrial split is also irrelevant in the appeal court. In the retrial, both parties may learn from their mistakes, change their approach and refine their arguments. It would be unfair to then judge the verdict in a retrial against the verdict in the mistrial. In Pell’s retrial, witnesses were dropped by mutual agreement of both parties, and Richter added a power point presentation to his defence. One new witness was added. It was similar, but not the same, as the first.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #264 - Mar 4th, 2019 at 4:05pm

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #265 - Mar 4th, 2019 at 4:39pm

cartoons are a bit low..

a lot of people who were abused but not by the Catholic Church are also reliving their ordeals because of the high profile of this..

why do people have a need to draw cartoons of it...???

and even worse publish them Angry

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #266 - Mar 4th, 2019 at 4:42pm

Alinta wrote on Mar 3rd, 2019 at 10:14am:

EDIT: Vote count in the mistrial is an unconfirmed rumour....no credible source. 

My apology for misleading the discussion.

nothing to do with you alinta....we all take faith in what we read....a bit like this trial. Roll Eyes......some things are suss............but not to everyone..

IP Logged

Pedro Curevo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Nth Coast NSW
Reply #267 - Mar 4th, 2019 at 4:43pm

Pell deserves at least 30 years prison, what he had done in his position of power is blatantly evil.

Should have been a brief trial and the jury form a lynching party.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #268 - Mar 4th, 2019 at 4:49pm

Pedro Curevo wrote on Mar 4th, 2019 at 4:43pm:
Pell deserves at least 30 years prison, what he had done in his position of power is blatantly evil.

Should have been a brief trial and the jury form a lynching party.

If he really did it?

The appeals court could throw out the whole case.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #269 - Mar 4th, 2019 at 4:49pm

cods wrote on Mar 4th, 2019 at 4:39pm:
cartoons are a bit low..

a lot of people who were abused but not by the Catholic Church are also reliving their ordeals because of the high profile of this..

why do people have a need to draw cartoons of it...???

and even worse publish them Angry

-wallop.  Wink

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 32
Send Topic Print