Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Define 'God' (Read 2666 times)
greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Define 'God'
Feb 13th, 2018 at 10:32am

(in Christianity and other monotheistic religions) the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being.

(in certain other religions) a superhuman being or spirit worshipped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity.

Can anyone be more specific?

Does this 'supreme being/superhuman being' have a human form?

Is it an old man sitting on a cloud?

I'm curious.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Re: Define 'God'
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 12:07pm

From my own flawed and limited perspective.....

The God of creation has ~a~ 'body', and he has a human 'form', but He does not have a physical body.

Genesis 1:26
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness....

Scripture states that God is a spirit being.

'Been there', but i am unable to define 'what' the spirit realm is.

Scripture records that God has revealed Himself to men, in ~a~ human form. Genesis 18:1-33

In Genesis 18, "the LORD" ate physical food, and washed His feet with physical water....

Genesis 18:1
And the LORD appeared unto him in the plains of Mamre: and he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day;
2  And he lift up his eyes and looked, and, lo, three men stood by him: and when he saw them, he ran to meet them from the tent door, and bowed himself toward the ground,
3  And said, My Lord, if now I have found favour in thy sight, pass not away, I pray thee, from thy servant:
4  Let a little water, I pray you, be fetched, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree:
5  And I will fetch a morsel of bread, and comfort ye your hearts; after that ye shall pass on: for therefore are ye come to your servant. And they said, So do, as thou hast said.
6  And Abraham hastened into the tent unto Sarah, and said, Make ready quickly three measures of fine meal, knead it, and make cakes upon the hearth.
7  And Abraham ran unto the herd, and fetcht a calf tender and good, and gave it unto a young man; and he hasted to dress it.
8  And he took butter, and milk, and the calf which he had dressed, and set it before them; and he stood by them under the tree, and they did eat.

Is this true, a reliable account ?

Jesus said.....

John 10:35
.....the scripture cannot be broken;

Does God have a hand [with which to take up a sword] ?

Deuteronomy 32:39
See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand.
40  For I lift up my hand to heaven, and say, I live for ever.
41  If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me.

Does God have a 'heart' ?

1 Samuel 13:13
And Samuel said to Saul, Thou hast done foolishly: thou hast not kept the commandment of the LORD thy God, which he commanded thee: for now would the LORD have established thy kingdom upon Israel for ever.
14  But now thy kingdom shall not continue: the LORD hath sought him a man after his own heart, and the LORD hath commanded him to be captain over his people, because thou hast not kept that which the LORD commanded thee.

More on this here....

Quote:

God and human characteristics

Anthropomorphisms (from Greek ἄνθρωπος (anthrōpos) = man/human + μορφή (morphē) = form) are figures of speech which represent God as having human characteristics, form or personality.

They are symbolic descriptions, which help to make God’s attributes, powers and activities real to us.

For example, Genesis talks about:

God speaking (e.g. Genesis 1:3). But does this mean that God has vocal cords?

God seeing (Genesis 1:4). Does God have eyes with pupils and retinas?

God walking (Genesis 3:8). Does God have legs?

God making clothes for Adam and Eve (Genesis 3:21). Does God have hands?

God smelling a sweet savour from Noah’s sacrifice (Genesis 8:21). Does God have a nose and olfactory receptors?

https://creation.com/does-god-have-body-parts

I recommend this audio file to you, which explains extraordinarily plainly, WHO YAHWEH IS....

audio source....
VFTB 277: Mike Heiser – The Unseen Realm

September 30, 2015
http://www.vftb.net/?p=5950

http://ia801509.us.archive.org/1/items/derekpaulgilbert_gmail_Vftb/vftb277_low.m...

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 12:13pm

"The God of creation has ~a~ 'body', and he has a human 'form', but He does not have a physical body."

What makes God a "he", then?

i.e how do you know, if there's no body?

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 12:20pm

Google;
the lord is a man of war

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 12:24pm

Yadda wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 12:20pm:
Google;
the lord is a man of war

How is that determined, though?

No body = no genitals.

How do you know God is a man?

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 12:36pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 10:32am:
(in Christianity and other monotheistic religions) the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being.

(in certain other religions) a superhuman being or spirit worshipped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity.

Can anyone be more specific?

Does this 'supreme being/superhuman being' have a human form?

Is it an old man sitting on a cloud?

I'm curious.

A delusion for weak minds, to take the edge off reality.

Like santa and the boogey man for sub intelligent adults

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 12:47pm

The great, primordial force in the universe. The force that existed before time and will exist in the time after. The force that is the tipping point for volcanoes and earth quakes. Is the electrical current that bonds the seed and the egg and the last gust of wind that exits our lungs.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 12:56pm

[quote author=Mr_Hammer link=1518481938/6#6 date=1518490049]The great, primordial force in the universe. The force that existed before time and will exist in the time after. The force that is the tipping point for volcanoes and earth quakes. Is the electrical current that bonds the seed and the egg and the last gust of wind that exits our lungs. [/quote]

Yadda says it's a 'he'.

Do you agree?

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 1:13pm

There isn't anything to indicate that the supreme force I discribed is even human.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #9 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 2:16pm

greggery said.....
[quote]
[i][/i]
Yadda says it's a 'he'.

[/quote]

He is a he.

greggery,

I can believe.     .....because i'm a very gullible and naive person.     [[u]and if you believe that[/u], you'll believe anything!   haha  ]

You do not believe, [u]can't believe[/u].     .....because you are a sophisticated, educated, modern man.

1 Corinthians 1:21
For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, [b]it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe[/b].
22  For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
23  But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
24  But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.

Hebrews 11:8
[b]By faith Abraham[/b], when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.
9  [b]By faith he sojourned in the land of promise[/b], as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise:
10  For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.

Galatians 3:6
[b]Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness[/b].
7  Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.

Isaiah 55:6
Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near:
7  Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 2:19pm

[quote author=Yadda link=1518481938/9#9 date=1518495415]
He is a he.
[/quote]

How do you know that?

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #11 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 2:22pm

[quote author=greggerypeccary link=1518481938/10#10 date=1518495578][quote author=Yadda link=1518481938/9#9 date=1518495415]
He is a he.
[/quote]

How do you know that?

[/quote]

How do you know that the sun will rise above the horizon tomorrow morning ?

Do you have an ability to look into the future ?

Where did you get these powers from ?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 2:26pm

"How do you know that the sun will rise above the horizon tomorrow morning ?

"Do you have an ability to look into the future ?

"Where did you get these powers from ?"

I'm not claiming that the sun will rise tomorrow.

So, how do you know God is a he?

You still haven't explained it.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #13 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 3:15pm

My dog is god.

IBI

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #14 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 8:40pm

[quote author=Mr_Hammer link=1518481938/6#6 date=1518490049]
The force that is the tipping point for volcanoes and earth quakes.
[/quote]

So your God is quite violent.

Millions of people including innocent children have been killed by tsunamis, earthquakes, volcanoes and other "acts of God". How do you rationalise that?

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print