Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Catching Flathead (Read 8525 times)
Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Catching Flathead
Reply #30 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 2:24pm

Yes spear fishing is the way to go for flathead, they think they are camouflaged under the sand but that big flat head stands out if you look closely, and is a good target, no wasted flesh with a head shot.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 2:29pm

Jasin wrote on Jan 7th, 2018 at 2:16pm:
I shouldn't but I will.

Flathead. Best caught 'spearfishing' or 'snorkling'.
Why 'skim the surface' when you can get
DEEP DOWN
and totally
CHILLED OUT.

Get down even deeper and you get
NARKED OFF YOUR TITTIES!
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Anyway, I snorkel/spear around where I live often.
I can actually come up to a Flathead, gently/slowly slide my hand under them and lift them. Sometimes they shoot off, most times they stay for about a minute at most.
In this period, place the other hand 'cupped' over their front/head ...stay away from all their nasty spines. If really lucky, they open their mouth enough to get a better grip in. They will wiggle and waggle, but just hang on firmly for a bit and they will cease and ...into the bag they go! Unharmed and unspoiled!!  Cool

Where I do this - a young fella caught an Australian record Tailor a month n' abit ago.
Where I do this - heaps of large Mullet go a belly slappin after baitfish.

Few days ago, took the young neighbour out for a spearfish. We mostly aimed for looking at a wreck, so I just bothered with a hand-spear. Anyway, besides finding two 'old coins'. I chanced upon about 20 large/big fish in a gutter. At first I thought it was schooling shark (Svengali came to mind  Tongue) because of their tails and behaviour. Then I realised it was Jewfish - BIG JEWFISH!! Shocked
Because of the way I approach things, they weren't scared off and I knew I had time to bring the young fella over to make the hit with his gun.
BANG!
He hit behind the head (good) but to the side from above (not good) and once he got it to the surface I knew it would rip itself off before...
...too late!  Sad
1m long BIG JEWFISH (aka Dinner!) got away.  Cry
Superstition has it though that its good luck for the 'first' Big fish to get away and it was the young fella's first big one.

Alas, I was made so hungry by the sight of that delicious Jewy, that I headed for the Fish n' Chips once back to shore and ute.

Alas, like most 'Fish n Chip' shops along the NSW coast - they don't really put the type of fish on their boards because 'ironically' - they are selling BASA (SE-Asian Catfish), now under 'other names' to hide the fact.
Yep - here I am just off the beach, eating an 'imported catfish', in a Coastal town, just after losing a JEWFISH.
*sigh  Sad
They even over-cooked the chips!
Basa is cheaply bought but sold at a price like any other type of better quality fish. Sums up most Asian made products when sold in Australia to undercut Australian made products.  Roll Eyes Stupid Effin Govts!  Angry
Maybe plain gutless too!? Huh

Flathead? Meh ...over-rated for taste and its a bit of a peck through all those bones.
The Fishing Scene only go on and harp about how good Flathead & Snapper is because it's mostly what they catch ...by Line/Boat (up there on the surface).
My mate a few days even earlier caught a good batch of fish spearing, but alas - the local Great White came along and stole his catch (dragged him 20m before he unhooked).
Even spearing has it's disadvantages to surface Fishing.  Grin

Ok. You may all resume your positions of rotting in hell as a bunch of pussy-whipped males to those female members from that PA Forum that come here to cause trouble and get people banned for looking at their tits that they wobble around in front of everyone.

I'm always interested in what you have to say Jasin.

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #32 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 2:29pm

Ok. You may all resume your positions of rotting in hell as a bunch of pussy-whipped males to those female members from that PA Forum that come here to cause trouble and get people banned for looking at their tits that they wobble around in front of everyone.

Please ban this twit for a month or two freediver!

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 2:39pm

I find flathead best lightly fried in real butter with just a sprinkle of salt with a few drops of lemon juice, or deep fried in a thin beer batter, served with a lettuce leaf and chips, lettuce leaf and chips optional.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #34 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 2:47pm

Redmond Neck wrote on Jan 7th, 2018 at 2:29pm:

How come we never hear you demanding that those who posted my name, my photo, my FaceBook page etc etc be permanently banned, Redneck.

Its ban this bloke, ban that bloke from you....never, ban Neferti, never, ban AiA, never, ban Super Nova.  Why is that Redneck?

Take care at Bateman's.  Its crawling with Aussies right now.
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2018 at 3:05pm by Aussie »  

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #35 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 3:01pm

Aussie wrote on Jan 7th, 2018 at 2:47pm:
Redmond Neck wrote on Jan 7th, 2018 at 2:29pm:

How come we never hear you demanding that those who posted my name, my photo, my FaceBook page etc etc been permanently banned, Redneck.

Its ban this bloke, ban that bloke from you....never, ban Neferti, never, ban AiA, never, ban Super Nova.  Why is that Redneck?

Take care at Bateman's.  Its crawling with Aussies right now.

And in comes Aussie to destroy a perfectly good thread.
Here's a good way to destroy some flathead.

Yuck!!

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/malayali-fish-curry

IBI

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #36 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 4:13pm

Flathead can be extremely frustrating to spear if they are familiar with spearos. I think they wait until after you pull the trigger to swim off. Other spots have massive flathead that just sit there and wait, or swim off when you nearly kick them and wait for you to come around and have a shot. You have to get them in the back of the head or they will break free.

Live baits work well. Never had any luck with lures.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Mistress Nicole
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 5:09pm

Black Orchid wrote on Jan 6th, 2018 at 5:44pm:
When we lived up on the mid north coast we used to regularly go fishing in the local estuary.  It was full of Bream and Flathead.

I used to throw the Bream back (too many bones for me) and feast on the Flathead tails that were abundant.    Great eating.

X2. Flathead ad is my favourite fish. Brushed with soy, lemon, and honey and grilled on the bbq or George Forman 😀

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 5:19pm

Mistress Nicole wrote on Jan 7th, 2018 at 5:09pm:
When we lived up on the mid north coast we used to regularly go fishing in the local estuary.  It was full of Bream and Flathead.

I used to throw the Bream back (too many bones for me) and feast on the Flathead tails that were abundant.    Great eating.

X2. Flathead ad is my favourite fish. Brushed with soy, lemon, and honey and grilled on the bbq or George Forman 😀

How could you put soy on flathead, i cry sacrilege, perhaps a light sprinkle of white pepper, a good trick i found  is to coat in wholemeal flour and fry lightly for a crusty finish.

IP Logged

Mistress Nicole
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 5:22pm

Johnnie wrote on Jan 7th, 2018 at 5:19pm:

How could you put soy on flathead, i cry sacrilege, perhaps a light sprinkle of white pepper, a good trick i found  is to coat in wholemeal flour and fry lightly for a crusty finish.

My friend does that. I confess his fish is always good.

But at home I grill it. Mix lemon, soy and honey it works.

Trust me jeez,😀

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 5:26pm

Mistress Nicole wrote on Jan 7th, 2018 at 5:22pm:
Johnnie wrote on Jan 7th, 2018 at 5:19pm:

My friend does that. I confess his fish is always good.

But at home I grill it. Mix lemon, soy and honey it works.

Trust me jeez,😀

I wont be game to try it unless i pull a big haul enough to experiment with, even then i would be reluctant, soy is good on fried rice.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #41 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 7:51pm

Gordon wrote on Jan 7th, 2018 at 9:59am:
Are those monster flatties good eating?

They are breeding females and taste about 1/2 as good as a normal size fish.

They often have defects, parasites, barnacles with other imperfections and disorders..

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #42 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 7:55pm

Redmond Neck wrote on Jan 7th, 2018 at 10:11am:
Gordon wrote on Jan 7th, 2018 at 9:59am:
Are those monster flatties good eating?

I doubt it,

that one in my photo was tagged and released in 28 November 2017 in Lake Macquarie (Newcastle) he was re-caught on 31st November and released again after photos taken.

that one in my photo was tagged and released in 28 November 2017 in Lake Macquarie (Newcastle) he
She
was re-caught on 31st November and released again after photos taken.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #43 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 8:01pm

Flathead? Meh ...over-rated for taste and its a bit of a peck through all those bones.

Fillet it correctly and there are no bones at all.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #44 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 8:01pm

I dive for old bottles. It's a hobby of mine. Quite often I see massive flathead and it amazes me how close into shore they are. I love seeing those metre long flathead. In Sydney Harbour there's a type of stingray that shocks you called a numbray. If you touch one it's a sensation you'll never forget. I've been zapped a bunch of times. The marine world is full of some interesting critters.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print