Re: Catching Flathead
Reply #15 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 9:50am

Ajax wrote on Jan 7th, 2018 at 9:46am:
Redmond Neck wrote on Jan 7th, 2018 at 9:32am:
Ajax wrote on Jan 7th, 2018 at 9:13am:
Use to catch whoppa flathead of the pier at Point Henry, very tasty....... Cool

King George Whiting too.... Wink

Is that down near Geelong?

Yep on the pier owned by the Alcoa Aluminium smelter.

It's been closed to the public for a long time, cause some idiots threatened the security guard when he told them to stop drinking alcohol on the pier.

I am just having a week down at Batemans Bay on NSW South Coast!

The trouble is the place is like little Canberra at this time of year!

Maybe one like this will want to commit suicide

http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/lake-macquarie-s-first-recaptured-trophy-fla...

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #16 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 9:54am

Redmond Neck wrote on Jan 7th, 2018 at 9:50am:

It's been closed to the public for a long time, cause some idiots threatened the security guard when he told them to stop drinking alcohol on the pier.

http://yaffa-cdn.s3.amazonaws.com/yaffadsp/images/dspArticle/featureImage/big-fl...

LOL you don't need to catch too many there....!!

Never seen a flathead that big before....FFS

https://www.batemansbayfishing.com.au/

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #17 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 9:57am

Redmond Neck wrote on Jan 7th, 2018 at 9:50am:

http://yaffa-cdn.s3.amazonaws.com/yaffadsp/images/dspArticle/featureImage/big-fl...

http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/lake-macquarie-s-first-recaptured-trophy-fla...

Wow that's a monster whats in the water FFS....???

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #18 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 9:58am

When I said whoppas at Point Henry I was talking about 12 to 15 inches nothing like those specimens.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #19 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 9:59am

Are those monster flatties good eating?

IBI

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #20 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 10:02am

Had fun this morning,  took the SUP out and it was ultra low tide and was cruising over sandbanks for ages. Saw 100s of whiting and was thinking a handspear on the paddleboard could get me a big bag of whiting.

IBI

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #21 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 10:04am

Gordon wrote on Jan 7th, 2018 at 10:02am:
Had fun this morning,  took the SUP out and it was ultra low tide and was cruising over sandbanks for ages. Saw 100s of whiting and was thinking a handspear on the paddleboard could get me a big bag of whiting.

Throw a small net bound to get one or two job done, time to eat.

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #22 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 10:11am

Gordon wrote on Jan 7th, 2018 at 9:59am:
Are those monster flatties good eating?

I doubt it,

that one in my photo was tagged and released in 28 November 2017 in Lake Macquarie (Newcastle) he was re-caught on 31st November and released again after photos taken.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 1:38pm

I've been getting Silver Perch right down towards Windsor in the Nepean Redmond. I know they have been up river around Camden for years but now they are in the whole freshwater part of the Hawkesbury/Nepean system. Feral in the system but welcome. All 1-2 kgs.

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #24 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 1:43pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Jan 7th, 2018 at 1:38pm:
I've been getting Silver Perch right down towards Windsor in the Nepean Redmond. I know they have been up river around Camden for years but now they are in the whole freshwater part of the Hawkesbury/Nepean system. Feral in the system but welcome. All 1-2 kgs.

I dont know much about Perch (Silver or otherwise if there is more than one type)

As a boy I was brought up on a farm in the Hunter Valley and remember we used to catch a type of perch but dont know if they were the same, those and the old freshwater mullet.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 1:47pm

Redmond Neck wrote on Jan 7th, 2018 at 1:43pm:

I dont know much about Perch (Silver or otherwise if there is more than one type)

As a boy I was brought up on a farm in the Hunter Valley and remember we used to catch a type of perch but dont know if they were the same, those and the old freshwater mullet.

They'd be Estuary Perch and Australian Bass Redmond. Silver Perch are found in the rivers on the other side of the divide along with Murray Cod and Golden Perch. They shouldn't be in the Nepean. Fun to catch though. I love both freshwater and saltwater fishing. I've been doing it since a little kid and it never gets boring to me.

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #26 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 1:53pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Jan 7th, 2018 at 1:47pm:

They'd be Estuary Perch and Australian Bass Redmond. Silver Perch are found in the rivers on the other side of the divide along with Murray Cod and Golden Perch. They shouldn't be in the Nepean. Fun to catch though. I love both freshwater and saltwater fishing. I've been doing it since a little kid and it never gets boring to me.

A great hobby my old dad did it until he was nearly eighty

anyway enjoy it Hammer and all the best!

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 2:02pm

Redmond Neck wrote on Jan 7th, 2018 at 1:53pm:
Mr Hammer wrote on Jan 7th, 2018 at 1:47pm:

A great hobby my old dad did it until he was nearly eighty

anyway enjoy it Hammer and all the best!

Tight lines. Try garlic spray on your lures and plastics. You can buy it at the tackle shop. Cheers.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 2:03pm

The estuary flathead probably taste like mud after sea flathead.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #29 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 2:16pm

I shouldn't but I will.

Flathead. Best caught 'spearfishing' or 'snorkling'.
Why 'skim the surface' when you can get
DEEP DOWN
and totally
CHILLED OUT.

Get down even deeper and you get
NARKED OFF YOUR TITTIES!
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Anyway, I snorkel/spear around where I live often.
I can actually come up to a Flathead, gently/slowly slide my hand under them and lift them. Sometimes they shoot off, most times they stay for about a minute at most.
In this period, place the other hand 'cupped' over their front/head ...stay away from all their nasty spines. If really lucky, they open their mouth enough to get a better grip in. They will wiggle and waggle, but just hang on firmly for a bit and they will cease and ...into the bag they go! Unharmed and unspoiled!!  Cool

Where I do this - a young fella caught an Australian record Tailor a month n' abit ago.
Where I do this - heaps of large Mullet go a belly slappin after baitfish.

Few days ago, took the young neighbour out for a spearfish. We mostly aimed for looking at a wreck, so I just bothered with a hand-spear. Anyway, besides finding two 'old coins'. I chanced upon about 20 large/big fish in a gutter. At first I thought it was schooling shark (Svengali came to mind  Tongue) because of their tails and behaviour. Then I realised it was Jewfish - BIG JEWFISH!! Shocked
Because of the way I approach things, they weren't scared off and I knew I had time to bring the young fella over to make the hit with his gun.
BANG!
He hit behind the head (good) but to the side from above (not good) and once he got it to the surface I knew it would rip itself off before...
...too late!  Sad
1m long BIG JEWFISH (aka Dinner!) got away.  Cry
Superstition has it though that its good luck for the 'first' Big fish to get away and it was the young fella's first big one.

Alas, I was made so hungry by the sight of that delicious Jewy, that I headed for the Fish n' Chips once back to shore and ute.

Alas, like most 'Fish n Chip' shops along the NSW coast - they don't really put the type of fish on their boards because 'ironically' - they are selling BASA (SE-Asian Catfish), now under 'other names' to hide the fact.
Yep - here I am just off the beach, eating an 'imported catfish', in a Coastal town, just after losing a JEWFISH.
*sigh  Sad
They even over-cooked the chips!
Basa is cheaply bought but sold at a price like any other type of better quality fish. Sums up most Asian made products when sold in Australia to undercut Australian made products.  Roll Eyes Stupid Effin Govts!  Angry
Maybe plain gutless too!? Huh

Flathead? Meh ...over-rated for taste and its a bit of a peck through all those bones.
The Fishing Scene only go on and harp about how good Flathead & Snapper is because it's mostly what they catch ...by Line/Boat (up there on the surface).
My mate a few days even earlier caught a good batch of fish spearing, but alas - the local Great White came along and stole his catch (dragged him 20m before he unhooked).
Even spearing has it's disadvantages to surface Fishing.  Grin

Ok. You may all resume your positions of rotting in hell as a bunch of pussy-whipped males to those female members from that PA Forum that come here to cause trouble and get people banned for looking at their tits that they wobble around in front of everyone.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print