Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: Is saying "Arabs are responsible for diseases spread by Arabs, just like Europeans are responsible for diseases spread by Europeans" blatant racism?

yes    
  3 (23.1%)
no    
  1 (7.7%)
yes - but only against whites    
  1 (7.7%)
not racist - WAAAACIST!    
  1 (7.7%)
what an idiotic question    
  7 (53.8%)

Total votes: 13
« Last Modified by: polite_gandalf on: Jan 9th, 2018 at 8:07am »

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 ... 41
Send Topic Print
Islam-inspired racism (Read 40458 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Islam-inspired racism
Reply #480 - Apr 6th, 2018 at 8:26pm

Quote:
FD did Europeans attempt to treat and cure "arab diseases" or not?

Is this you retracting your idiotic strawman? Or can't you tell the difference?

Quote:
You are asking me to explain a phrase you not only used, but clearly defined.

Try reading it slowly Gandalf. How do you decide which diseases are Arab and which ones are European?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #481 - Apr 7th, 2018 at 5:56pm

freediver wrote on Apr 6th, 2018 at 8:26pm:
Is this you retracting your idiotic strawman? Or can't you tell the difference?

I'm simply asking you to explain your own statement.

You previously stated that Europeans attempted to treat and cure "arab diseases" - and you used that exact phrase. Now you are not only asking me what it means, but acting like its the most stupid phrase in the world. After you used it, as well as clearly defined it.

freediver wrote on Apr 6th, 2018 at 8:26pm:
Try reading it slowly Gandalf. How do you decide which diseases are Arab and which ones are European?

I use my common sense. As you did when you decided what diseases were arab, when you specifically defined what it was. Gosh, I even quoted you clearly defining what it is. You can safely assume I accept and apply that same definition. You really can FD.

Imagine how dumb it would be FD if you voluntarily use a particular phrase, clearly define it, and then proceed to make a claim about it... and then insist that when someone else uses it, its ridiculous, makes no sense, and must be explained. Funniest of all - this is exactly what you are doing.

Be honest here FD, would we be having this absurd discussion if we were only talking about the phrase "arab diseases", and the phrase "European diseases" had never been mentioned? I mean, you did after all have no problem whatsoever understanding (and then using) the phrase yourself. I mean you only started this inane "me no speaka da English" routine when you decided the equivalent "European diseases" was so horribly racist.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #482 - Apr 7th, 2018 at 6:35pm

You seem confused Gandalf. Who is arguing that Arabs are responsible for Arab diseases and Europeans are responsible for European diseases? You or me? Are you trying to disown your argument?

Quote:
I use my common sense. As you did when you decided what diseases were arab, when you specifically defined what it was.

Did i trick you into saying these things Gandalf?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #483 - Apr 8th, 2018 at 12:12am

freediver wrote on Apr 7th, 2018 at 6:35pm:
You seem confused Gandalf. Who is arguing that Arabs are responsible for Arab diseases and Europeans are responsible for European diseases? You or me?

Hard to say, FD. You're arguing that Arabs are responsible for the spreading of all diseases, aren't you?

Would you like to clarify your view?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #484 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 12:34pm

You seem confused Gandalf. Who is arguing that Arabs are responsible for Arab diseases and Europeans are responsible for European diseases? You or me? Are you trying to disown your argument?

Quote:
I use my common sense. As you did when you decided what diseases were arab, when you specifically defined what it was.

So just to clarify FD, when you said that Arabs brought diseases to the congo which the Europeans attempted to treat and cure - and specifically referred to them as "arab diseases" - you weren't holding arabs responsible for spreading those diseases?

Is it true that whole thing would be a big non-issue had I not mentioned "European diseases" and simply left it at "arab diseases"?

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #485 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 12:35pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Apr 9th, 2018 at 12:34pm:

Quote:

So just to clarify FD, when you said that Arabs brought diseases to the congo which the Europeans attempted to treat and cure - and specifically referred to them as "arab diseases" - you weren't holding arabs responsible for spreading those diseases?

Is it true that whole thing would be a big non-issue had I not mentioned "European diseases" and simply left it at "arab diseases"?

What European diseases are you referring to?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #486 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 12:48pm

small pox, common cold, measles etc

diseases brought from their home countries to the new world by Europeans hence "European diseases".

I also "blame" Europeans for spreading these diseases as they raped and pillaged these places. Apparently FD can't fathom this concept. Presumably because he can't bring himself to acknowledge the European rape and pillage of the new world. Its all just appalling wacism.

Quote:

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #487 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 12:51pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Apr 9th, 2018 at 12:48pm:

diseases brought from their home countries to the new world by Europeans hence "European diseases".

I also "blame" Europeans for spreading these diseases as they raped and pillaged these places. Apparently FD can't fathom this concept. Presumably because he can't bring himself to acknowledge the European rape and pillage of the new world. Its all just appalling wacism.
So did Muslims spread Arab diseases when they raped and pillaged other peoples lands?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #488 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 1:06pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Apr 9th, 2018 at 12:34pm:

Quote:

Of course not Gandalf. This is your argument, not mine.

Quote:

If they were introduced to Europe by Arabs, would that mean they are actually Arab diseases?

Quote:
So did Muslims spread Arab diseases when they raped and pillaged other peoples lands?

I think it depends on whether they used ships or camels.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #489 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 1:58pm

freediver wrote on Apr 9th, 2018 at 1:06pm:
If they were introduced to Europe by Arabs, would that mean they are actually Arab diseases?

My definition, which is coincidentally also the bleeding obvious, common sense definition, is based on who brought it and where they brought it from. So if European people brought a disease to a another continent from Europe (irrespective of who might have originally brought it to Europe hundreds of years earlier), I say its a "European disease". Is it correct to say that this concept still flies over your head?

freediver wrote on Apr 9th, 2018 at 1:06pm:
I think it depends on whether they used ships or camels.

Good answer. Now a follow up question if I may - if arabs infect people with the diseases they bring with them while they rape and pillage those people's land - do you hold arabs responsible for the spread of those diseases? I don't think I've ever got an actual answer to that one. Or my favourite: is a man to blame for infecting a woman with AIDS that he didn't realise he had when he rapes her?

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #490 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 2:14pm

Quote:
My definition, which is coincidentally also the bleeding obvious, common sense definition, is based on who brought it and where they brought it from. So if European people brought a disease to a another continent from Europe (irrespective of who might have originally brought it to Europe hundreds of years earlier), I say its a "European disease". Is it correct to say that this concept still flies over your head?

What if Indians bought the disease to the Arabs, Arabs brought the disease to Europe, Europeans landed it somewhere in the Americas, and then native Americans brought it to other parts of the Americas? Is it still a European disease?

Or does it only count if they use ships rather than beautiful Muslim camels?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #491 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 2:26pm

I'm not getting through am I FD?

Consider this scenario...

a band of European rapists and pillagers invade the Americas. Are you still with me? Ok, so some or all of them are carrying a virus or bacterial infection that they had picked up in their homeland in Europe. I then call it a "European disease". Now can you see how this definition is perfectly adequate without needing to investigate who may have brought the disease to Europe before that? Perhaps if I draw a venn diagram?

Quote:

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #492 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 2:30pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Apr 9th, 2018 at 2:26pm:

a band of European rapists and pillagers invade the Americas. Are you still with me? Ok, so some or all of them are carrying a virus or bacterial infection that they had picked up in their homeland in Europe. I then call it a "European disease". Now can you see how this definition is perfectly adequate without needing to investigate who may have brought the disease to Europe before that? Perhaps if I draw a venn diagram?

As long as you don't mind the term Arab disease or Muslim disease or Hindu disease etc for the group who passed the disease on.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #493 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 8:30pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Apr 9th, 2018 at 2:26pm:

What is it adequate for Gandalf?

When does it stop being a European disease?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #494 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 9:16am

It is adequate  for saying something like "Millions of natives in the New World died from 'European diseases', brought over during the great rape and pillage fest known as the 'colonial era'".

Quote:

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 ... 41
Send Topic Print