Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: Is saying "Arabs are responsible for diseases spread by Arabs, just like Europeans are responsible for diseases spread by Europeans" blatant racism?

yes    
  3 (23.1%)
no    
  1 (7.7%)
yes - but only against whites    
  1 (7.7%)
not racist - WAAAACIST!    
  1 (7.7%)
what an idiotic question    
  7 (53.8%)

Total votes: 13
« Last Modified by: polite_gandalf on: Jan 9th, 2018 at 8:07am »

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 41
Send Topic Print
Islam-inspired racism (Read 40449 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Islam-inspired racism
Aug 18th, 2017 at 12:49pm

freediver wrote on Aug 17th, 2017 at 5:18pm:
polite_gandalf wrote on Aug 17th, 2017 at 5:10pm:
freediver wrote on Aug 17th, 2017 at 4:52pm:
Why the extraordinary efforts to boil everything down to simplistic hysteria about racism?

Gosh FD, hysteria about racism? Some might think that screeching months and years on end about how "racist" it is to suggest that the mass execution of members of a 7th century tribe for breaking a treaty might be deemed justified by the standards and culture of the time - is a pretty good example of "simplistic hysteria about racism".

But what this is about is your stubborn refusal to acknowledge what is evident to blind Freddy: that mealy mouthed racists, who absolutely *ARE* terrified of being seen as racist,  have latched on to the anti-Islam bandwagon to feed their racism, with their favourite rejoinder "Islam is not a race"  merely being the latest incantation of the old "I'm not racist but..." excuse.

And the fact that you are the most hysterical whiner about racism - sorry wacism - here, when it concerns muslims and/or their apologists attacking jews, is just an interesting aside.

I asked you to point these people out Gandalf. So far they are a figment of your imagination.

And I called you out on your racism because you are a textbook case of mealy mouthed racism, and you are right here on this forum. You described them over a span of years variously as a mindless collective a treacherous warrior Jews, all in efforts to justify Muhammad's genocide. But when your own words are presented to you you reject them because (again, in your own words) it 'sounds' racist. You absolutely *ARE* terrified of being seen as racist, but when all else failed, you fell back on racism because your religion compels you to come up with any excuse you can find to justify mass murder.

polite_gandalf wrote on Aug 18th, 2017 at 10:15am:
I asked you to point these people out Gandalf. So far they are a figment of your imagination.

Sure, FD - one good example is constantly broad-stroking the entire muslim population as a monolithic hive mind of sinister conspirators out to deceive everyone

Islam is not a race Gandalf. And you are the only one here who invokes a hive mind of sinister conspirators to justify genocide.

polite_gandalf wrote on Aug 18th, 2017 at 10:15am:
You described them over a span of years variously as a mindless collective a treacherous warrior Jews,

Like a "typical muslim" I guess.

Not sure. Did you ever say where you got the racist theories from? I seem to recall being taken by surprise when you said that. I think that is what prompted Karnal to describe it as an 'Abu moment'.

Quote:
And as usual this is rubbish. 1. I described the arab tribes of the 7th century - of which the banu qurayza were but one as a "mindless collective" - in the sense that there was no real concept of the individual in society - everyone was subordinated to the tribe.

So you did in fact describe them as a mindless collective, and use that to justify Muhammad's genocide?

Were the early Muslims also a mindless collective?

Quote:
This point I made abundantly clear in the original quote that you will always conveniently edit out when you requote it.

What exactly is this point you think I am editing out? That your racist propaganda about mindless collectives is not in fact racist because it is true? That it is in fact correct to call them a mindless collective and justify their genocide because they had no individual personality? That it's not racist if you also ascribe collective traits to other groups? What makes you think that repeating it and insisting it is true makes your racism any less abhorrent?

Quote:
as I have told you a hundred times at least - "treacherous jew" was your term, not mine

Are you denying referring to them as treacherous?

Quote:
And I even made the point that the term would be racist and I would never say it.

So racism is not about what you say, but how you say it? That is, you can argue they were a mindless collective of treacherous Jews, but so long as you don't use the words together in a way that sounds familiarly racist, you are not actually being racist?

Are you saying that mealy mouthed racists, who absolutely *ARE* terrified of being seen as racist, who have latched on to the anti-Jew bandwagon to feed their religion, with their favourite rejoinder "they had no individuality or personality because they literally were a mindless collective of traitors, tough titties, off with their heads" are somehow not merely the latest incantation of the old "I'm not racist but..." excuse, so long as they really, truly believe their own absurd racist propaganda?
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2017 at 1:03pm by freediver »  

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Re: Islam-inspired racism
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2017 at 3:23pm

freediver wrote on Aug 18th, 2017 at 12:49pm:
That it's not racist if you also ascribe collective traits to other groups?

Bingo.

If I had suggested that jews in particular are innately prone - because of their 'race' - to being a "mindless collective" that makes them inherently "treacherous" or whatever , then yeah that would be racist. Instead of what I actually said - which was to merely make an observation about Arab tribal society of the time, and the prevailing culture vis-a-vis the individual's subordination to the tribe.

Thus the entire quote of mine that kicked this whole 'mindless collective' nonsense off in the first place:

polite_gandalf wrote on Dec 5th, 2013 at 10:27am:
Thats exactly what they were. Thats exactly how 7th arab society worked - your loyalty was with the tribe, far above anything else. They were of one mind - what the tribal leaders decided, every single member decided. No individual member of the tribe would even dream of taking a position that was at odds with the tribe. It sounds ridiculous to our western individualistic minds, but thats exactly how it was.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #2 - Aug 18th, 2017 at 3:28pm

So racism is not about what you say, but how you say it? That is, you can argue they were a mindless collective of treacherous Jews, but so long as you don't use the words together in a way that sounds familiarly racist, you are not actually being racist?

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

I wonder if FD can detect the irony in this statement - after his heroic defence of racists who attack muslims who are careful enough to steer clear of "racist" sounding slurs.

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2017 at 6:23pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Aug 18th, 2017 at 3:23pm:
That it's not racist if you also ascribe collective traits to other groups?

Bingo.

So if a white supremacist ascribes collective traits to both white and black people, he is not racist?

What if one of those traits just happens to be 'treacherous'?

Quote:
If I had suggested that jews in particular are innately prone - because of their 'race' - to being a "mindless collective" that makes them inherently "treacherous" or whatever , then yeah that would be racist. Instead of what I actually said - which was to merely make an observation about Arab tribal society of the time, and the prevailing culture vis-a-vis the individual's subordination to the tribe.

You said they had no individual personality and that they were treacherous individuals by virtue of being part of a treacherous collective - racist. You said they were found guilty and sentenced to death based on this collective guilt - racist.

Quote:
I wonder if FD can detect the irony in this statement - after his heroic defence of racists who attack muslims who are careful enough to steer clear of "racist" sounding slurs.

Do you think it could be that they don;t say racist things because they are actually talking about Islam, which is not a race?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 1:50pm

Were the early Muslims also a mindless collective?

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 3:06pm

Thus the entire quote of mine that kicked this whole 'mindless collective' nonsense off in the first place:

Thats exactly what they were. Thats exactly how 7th arab society worked - your loyalty was with the tribe, far above anything else. They were of one mind - what the tribal leaders decided, every single member decided. No individual member of the tribe would even dream of taking a position that was at odds with the tribe. It sounds ridiculous to our western individualistic minds, but thats exactly how it was.

It doesn't sound ridiculous to our Western minds that it was like that over a millennium ago.

What IS ridiculous is that it is still like that for most Muslim Arabs, even after they left Lebanon and the Middle East a couple of generations ago. That's what is ridiculous.

They are still tribal, they are still clannish, they still treat women as chattel.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #6 - Aug 21st, 2017 at 4:55pm

freediver wrote on Aug 18th, 2017 at 6:23pm:
So if a white supremacist ascribes collective traits to both white and black people, he is not racist?

If a white supremacist said that all black and white people from a certain time and place had some common behavioural trait because of the society and place and time they both found themselves in - does that sound racist to you?

See how ridiculous your attempt at moral (non)-equivalence sounds?

Quote:

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #7 - Aug 21st, 2017 at 5:25pm

Frank wrote on Aug 19th, 2017 at 3:06pm:

It doesn't sound ridiculous to our Western minds that it was like that over a millennium ago.

What IS ridiculous is that it is still like that for most Muslim Arabs, even after they left Lebanon and the Middle East a couple of generations ago. That's what is ridiculous.

They are still tribal, they are still clannish, they still treat women as chattel.

Well said. This is the biggest issue, in my view. They are still tribal. Many of the laws which Muhammad established were contextual to a society that was tribal. The idea of the nation-state hasn't taken root in the Middle-East just yet.

The Progressive President

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Aug 21st, 2017 at 7:14pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Aug 21st, 2017 at 4:55pm:
freediver wrote on Aug 18th, 2017 at 6:23pm:

If a white supremacist said that all black and white people from a certain time and place had some common behavioural trait because of the society and place and time they both found themselves in - does that sound racist to you?

See how ridiculous your attempt at moral (non)-equivalence sounds?

If he said the white people were white and the black people were black I don't think anyone would care. If he said one group was a mindless collective of treacherous warrior Jews who deserved to die as collective punishment for the crimes of a few, that would be racist.

Were the early Muslims also a mindless collective Gandalf?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #9 - Aug 21st, 2017 at 8:17pm

freediver wrote on Aug 21st, 2017 at 7:14pm:
If he said one group was a mindless collective of treacherous warrior Jews who deserved to die as collective punishment for the crimes of a few, that would be racist.

Good point FD - singling out one racial group as having particular innate negative attributes - because of their race, would indeed be racist. 

Quote:
Were the early Muslims also a mindless collective Gandalf?

You've asked me that before FD, and my answer was yes. They all were - it was an arab thing
you see - not a jewish thing.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Aug 21st, 2017 at 8:24pm

When did Muslims stop being a mindless collective?

Quote:
Good point FD - singling out one racial group as having particular innate negative attributes - because of their race, would indeed be racist.

You don't think treacherous, guilty, and dead are negative attributes?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #11 - Aug 22nd, 2017 at 4:22pm

freediver wrote on Aug 21st, 2017 at 8:24pm:
You don't think treacherous, guilty, and dead are negative attributes?

Again, and read carefully FD singling out one racial group as having particular innate negative attributes - because of their race, would indeed be racist.

As opposed to what I actually said, and attributed those "negative attributes" (which is the so called "mindless collective"- not the "treacherous jew", again which are words you keep shoving in my mouth) - to the entire tribal culture in that time and place - of which the jews were just one part of. As I have said before, if it had been a non-jewish tribe breaking a treaty in the same way against a jewish tribe, I would expect nothing different.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #12 - Aug 22nd, 2017 at 8:28pm

Quote:
which is the so called "mindless collective"- not the "treacherous jew", again which are words you keep shoving in my mouth

Are you now denying that they were a mindless collective of treacherous Jews? Or just reminding everyone that you absolutely *ARE* terrified of being seen as racist, so you prefer to use more politically correct terminology?

Quote:
it was an arab thing you see - not a jewish thing

Can you explain how insisting it is an Arab thing rather than a Jewish thing makes it not racist?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #13 - Aug 23rd, 2017 at 9:02am

FD do you agree that to be racist against jews, one would need to single out jews for their inherent negative attributes/behaviour specifically because of their "jewishness"? As opposed to making a general observation about the culture of a particular society in a particular time and place - which has absolutely nothing to do with any real or perceived characteristics that are particular to the jewish "race"?

freediver wrote on Aug 22nd, 2017 at 8:28pm:
Are you now denying that they were a mindless collective of treacherous Jews?

You can attempt to shove that term down my mouth as much as you like, but it doesn't change the fact that its your phrase FD, not mine.

freediver wrote on Aug 22nd, 2017 at 8:28pm:
Can you explain how insisting it is an Arab thing rather than a Jewish thing makes it not racist?

Its possibly racist against 7th century arabs. I'll accept that charge. Are you now saying I'm not an anti-semite?

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - Aug 23rd, 2017 at 10:20am

Quote:
You can attempt to shove that term down my mouth as much as you like, but it doesn't change the fact that its your phrase FD, not mine.

Is it an accurate description of what you think and what you have argued? Is your only criticism that it makes you sound racist, despite being true?

Quote:
Its possibly racist against 7th century arabs. I'll accept that charge. Are you now saying I'm not an anti-semite?

Isn't Arab and Semite pretty much the same thing?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 41
Send Topic Print