Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: Is saying "Arabs are responsible for diseases spread by Arabs, just like Europeans are responsible for diseases spread by Europeans" blatant racism?

yes    
  3 (23.1%)
no    
  1 (7.7%)
yes - but only against whites    
  1 (7.7%)
not racist - WAAAACIST!    
  1 (7.7%)
what an idiotic question    
  7 (53.8%)

Total votes: 13
« Last Modified by: polite_gandalf on: Jan 9th, 2018 at 8:07am »

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 41
Send Topic Print
Islam-inspired racism (Read 40459 times)
sir prince duke alevine
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Islam-inspired racism
Reply #270 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:01pm

mothra wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 6:57pm:
Think harder, Alevine.

mothra, I would appreciate a more thought out response. Otherwise this type of discussion is simply pointless.  You sound like gweggy.

Disclaimer for Mothra per POST so it is forever acknowledged: Saying 'Islam' or 'Muslims' doesn't mean ALL muslims. This does not target individual muslims who's opinion I am not aware of.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #271 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:01pm

sir prince duke alevine wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 6:42pm:
mothra wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 6:10pm:
Has screwing your cousins become unique to Muslims now?

never said it was.  I've always argued that it is religion that drives behaviour to screw your cousins.  Karnal seems to consistently confirm it with his explanations about Indian communities and Jewish Orthodox communities, and yet then quickly supports his scholar when he says I'm being baseless in my rationale.  Go figure.

Not at all. Indian and Jewish Orthodox communities are economic systems.

Perhaps the biggest change to our own society was the inclusion of women in the labour market. This took them out of unpaid labour and onto wages. This had massive consequences, for both women's autonomy and male employment. It impacted on our own shift to a service econony. The structural unemployment of the 80s and 90s was not just about the loss of manufacturing, but the inclusion of women in the labour market.

The debate around this was constructed carefully,  but there was a lot of political and social opposition to this shift - from both the church and disgruntled men.

The Middle East and Central Asia has not made this transition. For them, there was no sexual revolution at all. Sure, it's different in the cities and amongst the growing middle class, but in the rural heartland of countries like India, life goes on as it has for centuries.

FD's inbreeding map doesn't capture this. If its data is true at all, it just describes national averages. This is probably an accurate reflection of a very traditional tribal country like Saudi Arabia, but not of a heterogenous country like Egypt, for example, or India.

Blaming Islam for the preservation of traditional economic functions is as shallow as blaming women's lib for our own economic shift. The expression of religion  - and women's movements - are a reflection of economic change, not the cause.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #272 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:04pm

sir prince duke alevine wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:01pm:
Think harder, Alevine.

mothra, I would appreciate a more thought out response. Otherwise this type of discussion is simply pointless.  You sound like gweggy.

Focus, Alevine.

If you are going to refer generically to "Muslims" when you are being discriminatory .. you are sweeping all 1.6 billion of them up in it. You are insulting all 1.6 billion of them.

So it follows that you cannot reasonably object to being called a Nazi. As they are white folk and you are a white folk.

Why are you exempt from generalisations or association with the worst case examples of your group, Alevine?

Are you a rapist because you're a male?

A Nazi rapist?

Have i offended you?

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #273 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:05pm

sir prince duke alevine wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 6:56pm:
mothra wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 6:55pm:
sir prince duke alevine wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
mothra wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 6:47pm:

never said it was.  I've always argued that it is religion that drives behaviour to screw your cousins.  Karnal seems to consistently confirm it with his explanations about Indian communities and Jewish Orthodox communities, and yet then quickly supports his scholar when he says I'm being baseless in my rationale.  Go figure.

Alevine, i know you read what people type to you because you are quick to pick on isolated comments ... but i don't think you actually consider it.

At least, you display a staggering level of misunderstanding.

which isolated comments? What misunderstanding? Clarify, mothra, please.

My argument is simple:  Religious dogma drives behaviour and drives understanding on moral issues. One such behaviour and moral question is marriage and sex amongst family members. I never said it was JUSt a muslim issue, I have consistently said it was an issue across many religions. But I'm simply saying that in this particular region of the world, based on the stats I'd say islam is a prime factor.  Especially when we consider the difference in behaviour amongst secular and non-secular people, and it just so happens, unfortunately, that in Islam there are less secular people than there are conservatives or even moderates.

Karnal confirms my thinking based on telling me about orthodox jews.  If you look at stats, somehow secular jews have a smaller rate. Are we to suggest that this is only the case when it comes to the Jewish faith? And somehow Islam is different? 

No Alevine. There is no religion that promotes cousin marriage. There are cultural traditions that promote cousin marriage however.

I believe this has been pointed out to you already?

so the difference between secular jews and orthodox jews is... ?

One is religious. The other (you can say this) identifies itself as a race.

IP Logged

sir prince duke alevine
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #274 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:36pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:01pm:

Perhaps the biggest change to our own society was the inclusion of women in the labour market. This took them out of unpaid labour and onto wages. This had massive consequences, for both women's autonomy and male employment. It impacted on our own shift to a service econony. The structural unemployment of the 80s and 90s was not just about the loss of manufacturing, but the inclusion of women in the labour market.

The debate around this was constructed carefully,  but there was a lot of political and social opposition to this shift - from both the church and disgruntled men.

The Middle East and Central Asia has not made this transition. For them, there was no sexual revolution at all. Sure, it's different in the cities and amongst the growing middle class, but in the rural heartland of countries like India, life goes on as it has for centuries.

FD's inbreeding map doesn't capture this. If its data is true at all, it just describes national averages. This is probably an accurate reflection of a very traditional tribal country like Saudi Arabia, but not of a heterogenous country like Egypt, for example, or India.

Blaming Islam for the preservation of traditional economic functions is as shallow as blaming women's lib for our own economic shift. The expression of religion  - and women's movements - are a reflection of economic change, not the cause.

Karnal, I would say that any type of community is an economic system in itself, driving the people living within that community to generate some kind of output in order to survive.  Sure, people may use their religious beliefs to form a structure for their community, in order to build an economy for themselves, but I don't really see how all of a sudden what a person learns from their religious beliefs doesn't then drive their behaviour.   

And I'm sorry but of course we have to look at religion and its prevalence if we are to assess reasons for why traditional economic functions exist. Especially if religion is all of a sudden an economic system.

« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:42pm by sir prince duke alevine »  

Disclaimer for Mothra per POST so it is forever acknowledged: Saying 'Islam' or 'Muslims' doesn't mean ALL muslims. This does not target individual muslims who's opinion I am not aware of.

IP Logged

sir prince duke alevine
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #275 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:40pm

mothra wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:04pm:
Think harder, Alevine.

Focus, Alevine.

If you are going to refer generically to "Muslims" when you are being discriminatory .. you are sweeping all 1.6 billion of them up in it. You are insulting all 1.6 billion of them.

So it follows that you cannot reasonably object to being called a Nazi. As they are white folk and you are a white folk.

Why are you exempt from generalisations or association with the worst case examples of your group, Alevine?

A Nazi rapist?

Have i offended you?

I am not insulting anyone. I am being critical of an ideology that people, known by us as Muslims, follow, in the generalised majority of cases. Am I not allowed to be critical of this ideology?

And you can by all means generalise to the term Nazis for describing an ideology or belief that is common amongst Nazis. I don't really see what it has to do with skin colour, as opposed to belief system.   Can black people not be Nazis? Surprisingly, the people that Nazis's rallied against almost the same, if not more, as jews were the Slavs. And yet, there are many nazis in Bulgaria. So, you know, go figure, I'm sure black Nazis exist too.

And you have offended only in your complete lack of understanding.  Well, not so much offended, as much as disappointed.

IP Logged

sir prince duke alevine
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #276 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:44pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:05pm:
sir prince duke alevine wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 6:56pm:
mothra wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 6:55pm:
sir prince duke alevine wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
mothra wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 6:47pm:

Alevine, i know you read what people type to you because you are quick to pick on isolated comments ... but i don't think you actually consider it.

At least, you display a staggering level of misunderstanding.

which isolated comments? What misunderstanding? Clarify, mothra, please.

My argument is simple:  Religious dogma drives behaviour and drives understanding on moral issues. One such behaviour and moral question is marriage and sex amongst family members. I never said it was JUSt a muslim issue, I have consistently said it was an issue across many religions. But I'm simply saying that in this particular region of the world, based on the stats I'd say islam is a prime factor.  Especially when we consider the difference in behaviour amongst secular and non-secular people, and it just so happens, unfortunately, that in Islam there are less secular people than there are conservatives or even moderates.

Karnal confirms my thinking based on telling me about orthodox jews.  If you look at stats, somehow secular jews have a smaller rate. Are we to suggest that this is only the case when it comes to the Jewish faith? And somehow Islam is different? 

No Alevine. There is no religion that promotes cousin marriage. There are cultural traditions that promote cousin marriage however.

I believe this has been pointed out to you already?

so the difference between secular jews and orthodox jews is... ?

One is religious. The other (you can say this) identifies itself as a race.

Ah... I thought it was an economic system?

So the religious folk have a much higher prevalence of cousin marriage than the ones who identify as a race (secular jews don't btw, they identify with an ethnicity that drives their culture - take it from one).  Got it.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #277 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:46pm

sir prince duke alevine wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:40pm:
Think harder, Alevine.

Focus, Alevine.

A Nazi rapist?

Have i offended you?

I am not insulting anyone. I am being critical of an ideology that people, known by us as Muslims, follow, in the generalised majority of cases. Am I not allowed to be critical of this ideology?

And you can by all means generalise to the term Nazis for describing an ideology or belief that is common amongst Nazis. I don't really see what it has to do with skin colour, as opposed to belief system.   Can black people not be Nazis? Surprisingly, the people that Nazis's rallied against almost the same, if not more, as jews were the Slavs. And yet, there are many nazis in Bulgaria. So, you know, go figure, I'm sure black Nazis exist too.

And you have offended only in your complete lack of understanding.  Well, not so much offended, as much as disappointed.

Alevine, have you stopped to consider that not all Muslims think how you think they think? That owing to your prejudice, you may just have got it all wrong?

For example, Gandalf is considerably more humble and humane than yourself. Indeed than any of the harsh critics of Islam on this forum. Do you not think his religion may have influenced that? Or do you think a person can only be a decent Muslim despite their religion?

You have utterly failed to understand my meaning. Deliberately i suspect. Unless you accept that by virtue of being a white male, you may be associated with Nazi rapists, you are being a tremendous hypocrite.

IP Logged

sir prince duke alevine
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #278 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:48pm

mothra wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:46pm:
sir prince duke alevine wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:40pm:
Think harder, Alevine.

Focus, Alevine.

A Nazi rapist?

Have i offended you?

Alevine, have you stopped to consider that not all Muslims think how you think they think? That owing to your prejudice, you may just have got it all wrong?

For example, Gandalf is considerably more humble and humane than yourself. Indeed than any of the harsh critics of Islam on this forum. Do you not think his religion may have influenced that? Or do you think a person can only be a decent Muslim despite their religion?

You have utterly failed to understand my meaning. Deliberately i suspect. Unless you accept that by virtue of being a white male, you may be associated with Nazi rapists, you are being a tremendous hypocrite.

Actually not at all. At the very beginning I have said I don't criticise individual Muslims who's opinions I am not aware of. I think you missed that part.  You're just getting upset because you think we shouldn't be grouping people. And yet here you were associating Nazis with white folk for some reason. Some kind of subconscious bias coming through, mothra?

And I really do enjoy how you and Karnal think you can judge people with whom you disagree. You have no idea how humane or humble I am, but only base this on the fact that I criticise islam and you don't like it. I am only being true to my actual liberal beliefs, mothra. I'd ask you not judge individual people without personally knowing them Wink  (just like I've always said I disagree with gandalf but I respect gandalf, which is true).

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #279 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:49pm

I didn't miss it Alevine. You simply do not walk the walk. You heap condemnation on Islam and Muslims with relish. Daily. Nightly.

Have you stopped to consider that you are being offensive? Not to mention quite incorrect.

Do you care?

IP Logged

sir prince duke alevine
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #280 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:51pm

mothra wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:49pm:
I didn't miss it Alevine. You simply do not walk the walk. You heap condemnation on Islam and Muslims with relish. Daily. Nightly.

Have you stopped to consider that you are being offensive? Not to mention quite incorrect.

Do you care?

If I am offending you then I'm afraid that's an issue for you.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with being critical of an ideology. I heap condemnation on Islam because of the state of the Islamic world. Or have you missed what's going on?

Why do you feel you can personally offend me, mothra, or attempt to? I call you out on your regressive opinions when it comes to Islam, because they don't match with your otherwise liberal opinions.  That doesn't mean you can attempt to personally offend me.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #281 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:55pm

sir prince duke alevine wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:51pm:

Do you care?

If I am offending you then I'm afraid that's an issue for you.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with being critical of an ideology. I heap condemnation on Islam because of the state of the Islamic world. Or have you missed what's going on?

Yet there is an example of the result of that ideology right in front of you who is simply more humane, humble, intelligent, compassionate, reasonable and articulate than you and all of those who heap condemnation on him and what he believes.

There a millions of other examples throughout the world who present similarly.

Yet you use the words Islam and Muslim to denigrate .. and when you do so, you denigrate them, despite them being generally nicer people than you.

It is, as i have explained, no different to saying all men are potential rapists (what do we call women who say things like that) or that all white people who have negative views on difference amongst people are Nazis.

IP Logged

sir prince duke alevine
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #282 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 8:00pm

mothra wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:55pm:

Do you care?

Yet there is an example of the result of that ideology right in front of you who is simply more humane, humble, intelligent, compassionate, reasonable and articulate than you and all of those who heap condemnation on him and what he believes.

Yet you use the words Islam and Muslim to denigrate .. and when you do so, you denigrate them, despite them being generally nicer people than you.

It is, as i have explained, no different to saying all men are potential rapists (what do we call women who say things like that) or that all white people who have negative views on difference amongst people are Nazis.

Sure, and I have already stated that I completely agree that gandalf does not share in the interpretation of Islam that has spread across the Islamic world. Never have I said all muslims are the same. Again, something you've missed.

I again state that I don't really understand how you can get all offended by my criticism of an ideology, but then go and attempt to personally offend me?  Another regressive trait?

I don't use the words Muslim or Islam to denigrate. I have never said 'you're a muslim' to denigrate.  And it is very different ,yet again to calling all white people Nazis. You can definitely call people Nazis who walk around proclaiming the holocaust was a good thing, or that all black people are inferior to the Aryan race, or that Hitler was great .And you can definitely use the term Nazis for those majority commonly shared views.  How else should we describe it?

It's always fun watching regressive leftists jump into identity politics and start targeting individuals, as opposed to the actual issues.  Why don't you tell me again how inhumane I am Wink

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #283 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 8:03pm

sir prince duke alevine wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:36pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:01pm:

Karnal, I would say that any type of community is an economic system in itself, driving the people living within that community to generate some kind of output in order to survive.  Sure, people may use their religious beliefs to form a structure for their community, in order to build an economy for themselves, but I don't really see how all of a sudden what a person learns from their religious beliefs doesn't then drive their behaviour.   

The social structure we're analysing - arranged marriages, dowries, the role of women's labour in child and aged care - predates religion. Hinduism and the teachings of Mohammed were applied to a pre-existing gendered economy.

Importantly, you can still be a Hindu, Muslim or Christian and live in a middle class nuclear family. You can still marry for love, and plenty do. The Middle East and Central Asia is full of urbanized women working in jobs and placing the kids in child care (or hiring nannies). Parts of the Middle East have full equality for women, especially in the public service. Parts of the labour narket are dominated by women, like teaching and medicine. Religion has had nothing to do with this economic transformation. If anything, Muslim capitals like Cairo, Beirut and Istanbul have advanced at a much faster pace than Indian cities like Mumbai and Delhi.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #284 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 8:03pm

sir prince duke alevine wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 8:00pm:
mothra wrote on Sep 7th, 2017 at 7:55pm:

Do you care?

Sure, and I have already stated that I completely agree that gandalf does not share in the interpretation of Islam that has spread across the Islamic world. Never have I said all muslims are the same. Again, something you've missed.

I again state that I don't really understand how you can get all offended by my criticism of an ideology, but then go and attempt to personally offend me?  Another regressive trait?

I don't use the words Muslim or Islam to denigrate. I have never said 'you're a muslim' to denigrate.  And it is very different ,yet again to calling all white people Nazis. You can definitely call people Nazis who walk around proclaiming the holocaust was a good thing, or that all black people are inferior to the Aryan race, or that Hitler was great .And you can definitely use the term Nazis for those majority commonly shared views.  How else should we describe it?

Alevine, i haven't missed it. It is simply too little too late. You use the words Islam and Muslim to denigrate constatntly. You do not, unless challenged, make the disclaimer that you don't mean all Muslims.

It is, as i have pointed out, as if i were to call all white men who are not inclusive Nazi rapists ... then state as an afterthought that there may be exceptions.

Did it occur to you that it is those you take issue with who are the exceptions?

Of course not. Bigotry doesn't allow for that.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 41
Send Topic Print