Send Topic Print
Cold! (Read 10779 times)
Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Re: Cold!
Reply #15 - Jun 25th, 2016 at 6:56pm

Been cold wind here - apart from that not too bad.... would be freezing back down in the old home on the Far South Coast.... fire on 24/7....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #16 - Jun 25th, 2016 at 7:16pm

GordyL wrote on Jun 24th, 2016 at 10:43pm:
Single digits....the gas heater is struggling!

the ocean is still 20 tho so I'll jump in tomorrow.

It's the new Ice Age which started 1 year ago.

It was predicted.

namaste

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #17 - Jun 26th, 2016 at 12:36am

Bobby. wrote on Jun 25th, 2016 at 7:16pm:

It was predicted.

namaste

I'm starting to come around Brave Sir Rob, I need to close the window. It's 2.6. I'm starting to shiver.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #18 - Jun 26th, 2016 at 1:48am

Worked a relatively late shift tonight. Got home in the cold, hungry and tired. Ate chicken soup, whilst my main meal was being cooked. Almost fell asleep watching a movie. Good thing that I was aware of my surroundings, or I would have burnt the vegetables. Turned the oven on and left the door open to warm the house. But only the lounge, kitchen, and my bedroom will benefit from the warmth.

Have to admit, it got really cold within the space of a day.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #19 - Jun 26th, 2016 at 7:50am

Setanta wrote on Jun 26th, 2016 at 12:36am:

It was predicted.

namaste

I'm starting to come around Brave Sir Rob, I need to close the window. It's 2.6. I'm starting to shiver.

My new house has ducted gas heating so I'm prepared.

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #20 - Jun 26th, 2016 at 7:55am

Bobby. wrote on Jun 26th, 2016 at 7:50am:

It was predicted.

namaste

It is minus 5 in Canberra this morning.  I have been leaving the heating on 24/7 for weeks ... even when I go out .... the house is nice and cosy but I expect a large electricity bill.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #21 - Jun 26th, 2016 at 8:01am

Neferti wrote on Jun 26th, 2016 at 7:55am:
Bobby. wrote on Jun 26th, 2016 at 7:50am:

It was predicted.

namaste

It is minus 5 in Canberra this morning.  I have been leaving the heating on 24/7 for weeks ... even when I go out .... the house is nice and cosy but I expect a large electricity bill.  Cheesy

Electricity is too expensive to heat a house.
Can you get gas in Canberra?

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #22 - Jun 26th, 2016 at 8:05am

Crop Losses, World Record Hail & Freak Storms Globally | Mini Ice Age 2015-2035 (174)

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #23 - Jun 26th, 2016 at 8:13am

My usual Winter electricity bill (my house is ALL electric, including hot water, stove, etc) is around $500 for the 3 months.  Last year I left the heating on 24/7 for most of that 3 months and the bill only went up by about $80 ... I will see what happens when I leave it on for the entire Winter months.

There is Natural Gas in the street, put in by AGL 25 years ago.  I just do NOT like gas.  Neighbours I know with gas heating costs more than my electricity does.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #24 - Jun 26th, 2016 at 8:18am

Neferti wrote on Jun 26th, 2016 at 8:13am:
My usual Winter electricity bill (my house is ALL electric, including hot water, stove, etc) is around $500 for the 3 months.  Last year I left the heating on 24/7 for most of that 3 months and the bill only went up by about $80 ... I will see what happens when I leave it on for the entire Winter months.

There is Natural Gas in the street, put in by AGL 25 years ago.  I just do NOT like gas.  Neighbours I know with gas heating costs more than my electricity does.  Roll Eyes

Costs more  but I bet their houses are a lot warmer?

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #25 - Jun 26th, 2016 at 8:26am

Bobby. wrote on Jun 26th, 2016 at 8:18am:

You reckon?  What if I tell you that I am sitting here in shorts and a t-shirt and outside it is minus 5?  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #26 - Jun 26th, 2016 at 8:28am

I have been leaving the heating on 24/7 for weeks ... even when I go out .... the house is nice and cosy but I expect a large electricity bill.  Cheesy

I'm thinking of doing that myself now - leaving the air/con running 24/7.

My 2.75HP LG a/c is a pathetic piece of crap when it's 5°C outside or lower. It simply doesn't produce enough heat to warm the place properly.

Last year I was so pissed off with it that I called in a technician to check the thing for faults. He found nothing wrong with it, and that information cost me $230 for the home visit.

He did give me one tip though: He said that of all the split-system a/con brands the only one that works properly to deliver high heat first thing on cold mornings is the Daikin brand. All the rest are okay, but only after the morning warms up.

Daikin 'reads' the cold and delivers the heat needed to compensate for it.

My LG is otherwise very good at cooling the house on blistering hot days, but as a heater in the early morning cold - it's a fraudulent piece of garbage.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #27 - Jun 26th, 2016 at 8:36am

Neferti wrote on Jun 26th, 2016 at 8:26am:
You reckon?  What if I tell you that I am sitting here in shorts and a t-shirt and outside it is minus 5?  Grin Grin Grin

I have a gas outlet coming up through the floor of my lounge room. It might be an idea to supplement my crappy LG a/con with some gas heating first thing in the mornings.

Have you seen the ceiling gas heaters at Bunnings hardware stores? Maybe one of those in my lounge-room ... ?  Tongue

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #28 - Jun 26th, 2016 at 8:43am

Lord Herbert wrote on Jun 26th, 2016 at 8:28am:
I have been leaving the heating on 24/7 for weeks ... even when I go out .... the house is nice and cosy but I expect a large electricity bill.  Cheesy

I'm thinking of doing that myself now - leaving the air/con running 24/7.

My 2.75HP LG a/c is a pathetic piece of crap when it's 5°C outside or lower. It simply doesn't produce enough heat to warm the place properly.

Last year I was so pissed off with it that I called in a technician to check the thing for faults. He found nothing wrong with it, and that information cost me $230 for the home visit.

He did give me one tip though: He said that of all the split-system a/con brands the only one that works properly to deliver high heat first thing on cold mornings is the Daikin brand. All the rest are okay, but only after the morning warms up.

Daikin 'reads' the cold and delivers the heat needed to compensate for it.

My LG is otherwise very good at cooling the house on blistering hot days, but as a heater in the early morning cold - it's a fraudulent piece of garbage.

Yes - reverse cycle air cons take hours to heat up a room when it's cold.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #29 - Jun 26th, 2016 at 8:44am

Neferti wrote on Jun 26th, 2016 at 8:26am:
Bobby. wrote on Jun 26th, 2016 at 8:18am:

I can't believe your electricity bill is only about $500 if you're doing that.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 19
Send Topic Print