Send Topic Print
Cold! (Read 10776 times)
Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Re: Cold!
Reply #180 - Jul 1st, 2016 at 10:03pm

GordyL wrote on Jul 1st, 2016 at 4:55pm:
I believe Indigenous Australian had just about the lowest social and technological evolution on the planet.

So, you're basically saying that you're a racist then, I take it, Gordy?   Afterall, that is the justification of so much of the racism that racists use.

In reality, Indigenous Australians are as evolutionary as advanced as are all humans.  Socially they are as advanced and technologically, before the arrival of the colonists, their solutions to the technical problems that faced them were as sophisticated as were any other group of humanity.

Quote:
Calling the arrival of Europeans what you want but ONLY using the word 'invasion' (which many people want) is divisive. It was an invasion, a colonization, immigration.
It was many different things to many different people.

If the present peaceful immigration of various groups to Australia can be termed an "invasion" by some, then how would you characterise the use of military and force which accompanied the arrival of British colonists in 1788?   I believe it was an invasion, Gordy.   I have read colonial records of the frontier war, have you?

Quote:
Lets face it tho, it was inevitable. It could have gone better for them if they were discovered by Captain Kirk and he stuck to the prime directive of not interfering with primitive species, but in that era, can you see any other course in history?

Yes.  I can see the Indigenous peoples' claims on the land to be respected and accepted, just as were those of the Maoris in New Zealand next door, by the same colonial power,  at approximately the same time, as they were in India, Africa and the Americas...    Roll Eyes

Quote:
I agree that Aboriginals certainly got the shitt end of the stick and now it's us to up to help make it good,  but lets drop the noble savage BS.

It is to a certain degree bullshit, I agree but not many modern anthropologists believe it, Gordy.   It's primarily the dillentes who believe that what ever the colonists claimed was bullshit.   I don't.  I actually believe what the first colonists said, rather than what the later, land stealing ones claimed to justify their destruction of Indigenous culture and society.   What about you?   You state one thing and then immediately claim the reverse...   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

GordyL
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Hate Town
Reply #181 - Jul 1st, 2016 at 10:29pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jul 1st, 2016 at 10:03pm:
I believe Indigenous Australian had just about the lowest social and technological evolution on the planet.

So, you're basically saying that you're a racist

Just can't help yourself with the name calling.

On the Ning Nang Nong
Where the Cows go Bong!
and the monkeys all say BOO!
IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #182 - Jul 1st, 2016 at 10:37pm

GordyL wrote on Jul 1st, 2016 at 10:29pm:

Just can't accept the correct use of a word to identify what I am talking/asking about, can you, Gordy?

You make a racist statement, what should I call it?   Something nice and comfy for your feelings?    Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #183 - Jul 1st, 2016 at 10:50pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jul 1st, 2016 at 10:37pm:

Just can't accept the correct use of a word to identify what I am talking/asking about, can you, Gordy?

You make a racist statement, what should I call it?   Something nice and comfy for your feelings?    Roll Eyes

If we leave out the social, I would call it a fact. How does one use that fact, that is the question.

IP Logged

GordyL
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Hate Town
Reply #184 - Jul 1st, 2016 at 10:52pm

I've been to Angkor Watt, Pyramids of Giza, Temples of Began, Stone Henge, colosseum.

These are my points of comparison

Show me the structures
Show me the governance
Show me the major works of art
Show me the ancient texts
Show me the agriculture
Show me the science
Show me engineering

The reason they are failing so miserably now is because they had progressed so little.

On the Ning Nang Nong
Where the Cows go Bong!
IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #185 - Jul 1st, 2016 at 10:58pm

GordyL wrote on Jul 1st, 2016 at 10:52pm:

I've been to Angkor Watt, Pyramids of Giza, Temples of Began, Stone Henge, colosseum.

Show me the structures
Show me the governance
Show me the agriculture
Show me the science
Show me engineering

The reason they are failing so miserably now is because they had progressed so little.

In essence, none of that should matter, if it does perhaps China should take us over.( Wink). Were they a viable society? Yes... Until the inevitable.

IP Logged

GordyL
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Hate Town
Reply #186 - Jul 1st, 2016 at 11:08pm

Setanta wrote on Jul 1st, 2016 at 10:58pm:

Show me the structures
Show me the governance
Show me the agriculture
Show me the science
Show me engineering

In essence, none of that should matter, if it does perhaps China should take us over.( Wink). Were they a viable society? Yes... Until the inevitable.

I also have another way of looking at it.  What if somehow Australia had been left alone, totally isolated.
Likely they'd still be using stones and sticks while the rest of the world existed then ceased to exist, so default their way was best.  It still doesn't elevate their lack of progress to something it is not  Smiley

On the Ning Nang Nong
Where the Cows go Bong!
IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #187 - Jul 1st, 2016 at 11:15pm

Show me the structures
Show me the governance
Show me the agriculture
Show me the science
Show me engineering

Show me the structures
Show me the governance
Show me the agriculture
Show me the science
Show me engineering

All you need is to open your eyes, Gordy...    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #188 - Jul 1st, 2016 at 11:18pm

GordyL wrote on Jul 1st, 2016 at 11:08pm:
I also have another way of looking at it.  What if somehow Australia had been left alone, totally isolated.
Likely they'd still be using stones and sticks while the rest of the world existed then ceased to exist, so default their way was best.  It still doesn't elevate their lack of progress to something it is not  Smiley

Every society reaches an equilibrium with it's environment and it's needs, Gordy.   China plateaued at around 1650.  Australia, about 20,000 years ago.  Europe?  Well, if the Church had had it's way, it would have stopped developing about 1200 CE...    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #189 - Jul 1st, 2016 at 11:19pm

You are making the mistake of assuming advanced tech is a good thing, a measure of a peoples worth. I don't see that as a proven.

IP Logged

GordyL
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Hate Town
Reply #190 - Jul 1st, 2016 at 11:29pm

Setanta wrote on Jul 1st, 2016 at 11:19pm:

You are making the mistake of assuming advanced tech is a good thing, a measure of a peoples worth. I don't see that as a proven.

You and Brian are making the mistake that I think they are not worthwhile people who should be treated well and fairly.  I'm judging the accomplishments of their society.

On the Ning Nang Nong
Where the Cows go Bong!
IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #191 - Jul 1st, 2016 at 11:32pm

GordyL wrote on Jul 1st, 2016 at 11:29pm:

You and Brian are making the mistake that I think they are not worthwhile people who should be treated well and fairly.  I'm judging the accomplishments of their society.

By your or should I say our, western measures. We are building an potentially unsustainable society, they had a sustainable one. Which will end up being the better choice is left to the future.

IP Logged

GordyL
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Hate Town
Reply #192 - Jul 1st, 2016 at 11:32pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jul 1st, 2016 at 11:15pm:

Show me the structures
Show me the governance
Show me the agriculture
Show me the science
Show me engineering

Show me the structures
Show me the governance
Show me the agriculture
Show me the science
Show me engineering

All you need is to open your eyes, Gordy...    Roll Eyes

There's nothing to see. Just rocks and sticks

On the Ning Nang Nong
Where the Cows go Bong!
IP Logged

GordyL
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Hate Town
Reply #193 - Jul 1st, 2016 at 11:34pm

Setanta wrote on Jul 1st, 2016 at 11:32pm:

By your or should I say our, western measures. We are building an unsustainable society, they had a sustainable one. Which will end up being the better choice is left to the future.

Now your throwing bones into the air and reading them like a mystic  plus you've gone back to the noble savage argument

On the Ning Nang Nong
Where the Cows go Bong!
IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #194 - Jul 1st, 2016 at 11:38pm

GordyL wrote on Jul 1st, 2016 at 11:34pm:
Setanta wrote on Jul 1st, 2016 at 11:32pm:

By your or should I say our, western measures. We are building an unsustainable society, they had a sustainable one. Which will end up being the better choice is left to the future.

Now your throwing bones into the air and reading them like a mystic  plus you've gone back to the noble savage argument

I don't believe I did either. How do we judge both methods of society until they run their course? We know where HG fails, because of our way, do we know where our way fails? When we do it may be our way is not the best.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19
Send Topic Print