Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Christmas Fare (Read 6503 times)
Black Orchid

Christmas Fare
Dec 14th, 2014 at 10:46am

When we were many we used to start off with hors d'oeuvres but our numbers have reduced and so has the effort.  We eat a late Christmas lunch so we will begin with basic snack food.

A variety of dips served with carrot/celery sticks, thin pretzels and crackers.  Probably Vita Weat Cheese and Chive as these are the most popular in our house.

Grapes.

Mixed nuts.

Christmas jubes/jellies.

Whatever else I think of in the meantime.

Late lunch will be turkey breast buffe, as no-one likes the brown meat.  I cook it on Christmas Eve.  I slit the skin over the breast and stuff it with a basic chicken stuffing.  None of us like traditional turkey stuffing ie forcemeat etc.

Cranberry and/or carrot and pineapple jelly on the side.

Tiger prawns.

Leg of ham.

Varying salads.  Probably coleslaw with a mayo and french dressing.

Potato salad with bacon, egg and ranch dressing.

Green salad.  Probably mixed greens with rocket, walnuts, feta, pear or strawberries and with a light balsamic dressing.

Fresh bread rolls.

Dessert will be pavlova.

Christmas trifle.

Fruit and cheese platter.

Assorted drinks.  Wine, cocktails, mixed drinks.

That's it.  I am stuffed already and I am getting less enthusiastic as the years go by.

What's going to be on your table this Christmas?

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Re: Christmas Fare
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2014 at 11:07am

Good on you. You must be exhausted already.

My extended family travel from all over the east coast to the Fraser Coast for a week over Christmas. We usually add up to around 20-25 people - more when my brother and his family are here from Norway. We have even more reason to celebrate this year because my uncle has just gone into remission from cancer.

Lunch is always a BBQ with everyone bringing a dish - salads, desserts etc. In addition to our steaks etc, this year my husband's going to make some sweets, a pate and we will make a big salad to take and meat for smoking.

On Boxing Day we'll be travelling to visit my mother-in-law and have a belated Xmas lunch with her. Last year it was a traditional sort of feast - a big ham etc.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2014 at 11:30am

That sounds very appealing Annie and I am glad to hear about your uncle, that is certainly cause for celebration. 

I have always like the idea of a BBQ Christmas lunch.  Your husband makes the pate?  I love pate although I have never made it.

We always have a lot of leftovers but it gets eaten.  One of my kids won't eat leftovers but the other will eat anything that isn't nailed down so it should save me cooking for a few days.  Selfish thoughts.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2014 at 1:29pm

I think I have Christmass depression, I would like to stay home by myself in preference to mixing with inlaws.
I will gladly forgo the food.

IP Logged

Marlys

Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2014 at 3:39pm

Christmas Day has never been a day for me to slave over a hot stove since I travelled to visit my parents, each year, as was expected. Now that they are gone, I still observe Christmas by sending cards and so forth but everybody I know has family so I usually spend the day by myself ... except for some friends who drop in (or phone) before they go off to family Christmas lunches.

You do get used to the lack of hype.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #5 - Dec 15th, 2014 at 2:53pm

miketrees wrote on Dec 14th, 2014 at 1:29pm:
I think I have Christmass depression, I would like to stay home by myself in preference to mixing with inlaws.

Due to changing circumstances, I forgo the big extended family affairs now and it suits me just fine.

Just immediate family at home.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #6 - Dec 15th, 2014 at 2:55pm

Marlys wrote on Dec 14th, 2014 at 3:39pm:
Christmas Day has never been a day for me to slave over a hot stove since I travelled to visit my parents, each year, as was expected. Now that they are gone, I still observe Christmas by sending cards and so forth but everybody I know has family so I usually spend the day by myself ... except for some friends who drop in (or phone) before they go off to family Christmas lunches.

You do get used to the lack of hype.

I hear you but I hope your friends drop in to see you on Christmas Day   Smiley

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Dec 16th, 2014 at 8:51am

miketrees wrote on Dec 14th, 2014 at 1:29pm:

you can come to my place if you like miketrees.. lol.. I will be at daughters place and this year we are experimenting with cocktails..it will be all the usual food we too always buy the turkey buffe far less waste...a nice free range one..and a free range ham.. we all chip in  so not hard... its only one day after all.. my little grandies that still believe in Santa are in Copenhagen so we will toast them on SKype...and watch them open their goodies....its not quite the same but its better than nothing....

I wish you a good day mike...bugger the inlaws...I am one myself...and the son in law and I dont really get on....but for one day I dont let it bother me.. well try not too...thats what the cocktails are for... Wink Winklessons the pain..

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #8 - Dec 16th, 2014 at 3:06pm

I fell over today and hurt myself so now I have to wear a moon boot into the new year. Yes - a moon boot. We usually do a long hike up to the tea lake on our Christmas week away so that will be out for me this year as will surfing and maybe even swimming. So please keep those cocktail recipes coming because I have a feeling I'll be needing quite a few.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Dec 16th, 2014 at 6:42pm

Annie Anthrax wrote on Dec 16th, 2014 at 3:06pm:
I fell over today and hurt myself so now I have to wear a moon boot into the new year. Yes - a moon boot. We usually do a long hike up to the tea lake on our Christmas week away so that will be out for me this year as will surfing and maybe even swimming. So please keep those cocktail recipes coming because I have a feeling I'll be needing quite a few.

sorry to hear that a bad time to happen as well as one doesnt really stop running this time of year...

have been on crutches and wheelchair...so know what its like... I wish you well..

I would think the surf salt water would help.. NO?...not standing on  the board though...we always put a twisted ankle in the salt water .. maybe that was just an excuse...

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #10 - Dec 17th, 2014 at 6:20am

Thanks for the well wishes, Cods. I appreciate it.

IP Logged

President Elect, The Mechanic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Dec 17th, 2014 at 12:46pm

Black O

when growing up, on my mums side, they all had big families, 5 Kids +

apart from one uncle who was in the Army, the other four families would all be there... so at least 10 adults and over 20 kids...

the food these women would bring was unbelievable.. all home cooked.. casseroles, sponge cakes, pavlovas, steamed puddings, trifle you name it..

roast legs of lambs and fresh killed, gutted and  plucked chickens .... put the chickens head on the block of wood and BANG>> down comes the axe...

if I saw that these days I don't think I'd eat the chicken anymore..  Grin

we are going to my Mums on xmas day.. I plan on taking the new Weber to cook up a Leg of Lamb and perhaps a chicken as well...

if I get time i'll have a crack at a pavlova and trifle.. I've never made these before but im sick of waiting for the women to do it...  Roll Eyes

Tongue

I picture a pavlova with that peppermint crisp shredded all over it.. or perhaps strawberries and cream with some of the strawberries blended into the cream.. oh boy..

im belly feels full already!!

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #12 - Dec 17th, 2014 at 1:40pm

Annie Anthrax wrote on Dec 16th, 2014 at 3:06pm:

Sorry to hear that.  I ended up in a moon boot a week before last Christmas.

I wore it for about 2 hours and couldn't stand it anymore and the hospital refused to take it back.  I would't expect them to take the padding back but I thought they may take the plastic shell back.  What a waste.

Best of luck with it.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #13 - Dec 17th, 2014 at 1:47pm

President Elect, The Mechanic wrote on Dec 17th, 2014 at 12:46pm:
we are going to my Mums on xmas day.. I plan on taking the new Weber to cook up a Leg of Lamb and perhaps a chicken as well...

if I get time i'll have a crack at a pavlova and trifle.. I've never made these before but im sick of waiting for the women to do it...  Roll Eyes

Tongue

I picture a pavlova with that peppermint crisp shredded all over it.. or perhaps strawberries and cream with some of the strawberries blended into the cream.. oh boy..

im belly feels full already!! 

I am thinking about buying myself a Weber Bay Q for Christmas.  I had a large 4 burner bbq that I used a couple of times only but I got sick of its bulk and gave it away.

I make a pavlova at least once a week.   It's not a huge gourmet pavlova but it takes less than 5 minutes to whip up and only uses 4 egg whites.   Instead of doing a bigger one for Christmas I was thinking about making two and having a double layer.  I will post the recipe in 'recipes', it is SO easy.

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #14 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 4:10pm

My Mother used to make a White Christmas slice each year. 

WHITE CHRISTMAS SLICE

Ingredients:

250g copha
    1 cup rice bubbles
    1 cup coconut
    1 cup powdered milk
    1 cup icing sugar
    1 cup mixed fruit
    1/2 cup glaced cherries

Method:

1. Line a small slice tin with baking paper.

2. Melt the copha in the microwave (usually takes about 3 minutes) until it is all liquid.

3. Combine all other ingredients in a large bowl until evenly mixed. Add copha and mix until all ingredients are moistened. Press into slice tin and refrigerate until set (about 1 hour). Cut into small squares to serve.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print