IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Re: Christmas Fare
Reply #31 - Dec 24th, 2014 at 3:34pm

Question for all you good cooks!

Could the child bride cook a roast pork tonight and warm it up tomorrow or would it not taste the same with crackling etc?

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

Rosie

Reply #32 - Dec 24th, 2014 at 4:40pm

For the very first time for many years I am not cooking Christmas dinner.  Our son and DIL have the job this year and I am looking forward to relaxing for once.

Today I did have the 7 year old granddaughter help me make a trifle.

I have a turkey all ready to stuff and a nice piece of pork all ready to take next door in the morning.  Hopefully the next time I see them they will be cooked and on the table.

I remember Christmas dinner from when I was growing up in an English village.  We didn't have a farm but we had quite a few outbuildings at our place and my dad kept pigs.  Usually on the weekend before Christmas my dad and a couple of my uncles would slaughter one of the pigs in our backyard.  We kids weren't allowed out of bed until we heard the shot then we could get up and watch what went on.  We had what my mum called the scullery which was a room down a few stairs all made of stone and slate tiles so it was always cold.  Not one scrap of those pigs was wasted as my mum was a brilliant cook and knew how to make every thing from real Pork Pies (we lived just outside Melton Mowbray) to scratchins. 

So for Christmas dinner we had ham and pork from our own pig, a turkey from the local markets and all home grown vegetables which my mum grew in a corner of a neighbors field.  Followed by home made Christmas pudding with real silver threepenny pieces in it and brandy trifle.

IP Logged

President Elect, The Mechanic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Dec 24th, 2014 at 5:52pm

Rosie wrote on Dec 24th, 2014 at 4:40pm:
For the very first time for many years I am not cooking Christmas dinner.  Our son and DIL have the job this year and I am looking forward to relaxing for once.

Today I did have the 7 year old granddaughter help me make a trifle.

I have a turkey all ready to stuff and a nice piece of pork all ready to take next door in the morning.  Hopefully the next time I see them they will be cooked and on the table.

I remember Christmas dinner from when I was growing up in an English village.  We didn't have a farm but we had quite a few outbuildings at our place and my dad kept pigs.  Usually on the weekend before Christmas my dad and a couple of my uncles would slaughter one of the pigs in our backyard.  We kids weren't allowed out of bed until we heard the shot then we could get up and watch what went on.  We had what my mum called the scullery which was a room down a few stairs all made of stone and slate tiles so it was always cold.  Not one scrap of those pigs was wasted as my mum was a brilliant cook and knew how to make every thing from real Pork Pies (we lived just outside Melton Mowbray) to scratchins. 

So for Christmas dinner we had ham and pork from our own pig, a turkey from the local markets and all home grown vegetables which my mum grew in a corner of a neighbors field.  Followed by home made Christmas pudding with real silver threepenny pieces in it and brandy trifle.

wow..

what an incredible lookback of yesteryear.. I was nearly there..

I guess they were talking about that in here...

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1417761264

by the way... enjoy your relaxing day...

but im sure there'll be plenty on to keep you busy..

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

President Elect, The Mechanic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Dec 24th, 2014 at 6:03pm

speaking of mums relaxing.. that's what im trying to do for my mum this year..

the last time we had xmas at mums a couple of year ago I get the feeling she did too much on the day..

I have rallied my family and asked them "what they are bringing" to xmas...

im taking my charcoal kettle to cook these

just been brushing on Mint and Rosemary  Smiley

and one of these... pre prepared Roast Chickens ready for the coals..  Smiley

the Mrs has made a Kahlua dipped chocolate ripple cake with shaved mint crisp and pieces of cherry ripe... oh boy..  Smiley

and I just have to finish off my pavlova tomorrow morning with cream, strawberries and blue berries...  Smiley

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #35 - Dec 25th, 2014 at 1:20am

I get so tired and feel like I just want to sleep in and forget xmas sometimes! Clean the house, and cook. No wonder I always look yukky in the xmas photos!
But.....it seems they like to come sit around the table and just enjoy whatever I cook.

We had a xmas feast last Wednesday as my son and his new gf will be over in Bali for xmas with her family.

We had roast turkey, roast potatoes and sweet potato, crumbed cauliflower, tossed salad, quiche, salmon (for the vegetatian daughter) and that yummy tiger loaf bread, with the crackly top.

Desert was cooked by the son's gf's father, he made the most delish sticky date pudding!

And I was spoilt, the son's gf bought me white roses and a bottle of Mumm Champagne!
Never had french champagne before, I think I am really going to like his new gf!  Grin

Now, tomorrow, there are only 5 of us, but still have to cook (again!).
I will do a roast marinated pork fillet. Of course the good ole humble spuds. Salads. Salmon (geez it's pricey! one sliced piece for one person is about $7 ea).
You know, I can't remember what else, the fridge is bursting at the seams with wine, beer, soft drinks, and the desert will be Heston Blumenthal's hidden orange christmas pudding with ice cream/whipped cream or custard.
Then I make cuppacino with the Caffitaly machine.
Then the rest of the day I am doing SFA!

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #36 - Dec 25th, 2014 at 1:58pm

Your labours will not go unappreciated and are their own reward.
There, does that make you feel better.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #37 - Dec 25th, 2014 at 11:31pm

bogarde73 wrote on Dec 25th, 2014 at 1:58pm:

Yes, that makes me feel better and you are correct, it is appreciated, and the joy it brings is the reward  Smiley but....I don't look better in them family pics by the xssy tree  Grin

Now in 2 days time, the daughter has her birthday (I planned that one well didn't I!) so I will make it all seafood and salads, as she doesn't eat meat.
I love seafood, we have a local fishmonger that sells seafood from Australian waters only.
Pricey, but gee, the compliments for that almost $50 per kg fish I batter,  are worth it.
Funny thing is, I won't spend $50 on a bottle of wine, but I will on fish!
Boxing Day tomorrow, and them specials, I have something I want for next Christmas, pretty pink santa hats with tiaras!  Smiley Cool

IP Logged

St George of the Garden
Gold Member

http://tinyurl.com/n
3o8m2x

Reply #38 - Dec 26th, 2014 at 5:53am

Hi Lols! Good to see you again!

Merry Christmass!

I want Muso as GMod. Bring back Muso!
WWW Friends of the National Broadband Network  
IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Dec 26th, 2014 at 7:48am

Sophia wrote on Dec 25th, 2014 at 11:31pm:
bogarde73 wrote on Dec 25th, 2014 at 1:58pm:

Yes, that makes me feel better and you are correct, it is appreciated, and the joy it brings is the reward  Smiley but....I don't look better in them family pics by the xssy tree  Grin

Now in 2 days time, the daughter has her birthday (I planned that one well didn't I!) so I will make it all seafood and salads, as she doesn't eat meat.
I love seafood, we have a local fishmonger that sells seafood from Australian waters only.
Pricey, but gee, the compliments for that almost $50 per kg fish I batter,  are worth it.
Funny thing is, I won't spend $50 on a bottle of wine, but I will on fish!
Boxing Day tomorrow, and them specials, I have something I want for next Christmas, pretty pink santa hats with tiaras!  Smiley Cool

wow $50 on fish... I am a mean old tart by the sound of things.. I see the price and keep walking....like you I would only ever buy Australian..and its way out of my league...but I can dream...battered flathead...ahh the memories...

IP Logged

St George of the Garden
Gold Member

http://tinyurl.com/n
3o8m2x

Reply #40 - Dec 27th, 2014 at 8:33am

Buy ocean leatherjackets, beautiful sweet fish and cheap as chips

I want Muso as GMod. Bring back Muso!
WWW Friends of the National Broadband Network  
IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #41 - Dec 27th, 2014 at 9:16am

Redmond Neck wrote on Dec 24th, 2014 at 3:34pm:
Question for all you good cooks!

Could the child bride cook a roast pork tonight and warm it up tomorrow or would it not taste the same with crackling etc?

Better late than never but I think it would be dicey reheating the crackling as it would probably become chewy rather than crispy.   Reheating the meat should be ok.

If you found a way doing it well, please share   Smiley

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #42 - Dec 27th, 2014 at 9:17am

President Elect, The Mechanic wrote on Dec 24th, 2014 at 6:03pm:
the Mrs has made a Kahlua dipped chocolate ripple cake with shaved mint crisp and pieces of cherry ripe... oh boy..  Smiley

That sounds like a recipe to share   Grin

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #43 - Dec 27th, 2014 at 9:20am

Well, as usual, we had enough food to feed a small country but we had a lovely day though.

Christmas is a pretty exhausting time and I am glad it is over for another year. 

The only problem now is that next Christmas will be here again before we know it.  The years just keep getting shorter and shorter  Sad

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #44 - Dec 27th, 2014 at 9:26am

President Elect, The Mechanic wrote on Dec 21st, 2014 at 11:42am:
I have the Gas Baby Q already along with two charcoal Webers..

I got the Baby Q with the higher lid so that I can put a roast in it if need be...

they do a great job.. however, the charcoal ones do it slightly better (but they are dirtier and takes longer to heat up)

but for a clean and quick heating operation.. the gas Baby Q is a rippa..  Smiley

I got a Baby Q for Christmas.  You will have to give me a few tips   Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print