Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
wood fire burning heaters.. (Read 8031 times)
cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

wood fire burning heaters..
Jul 5th, 2014 at 7:08pm

does anyone have any tips on buying one...I am thinking of buying one for my son and his family..they have the wood open fire but the heat all goes up the chimney.. they need something that would burn slow and maybe all night ...they live in an older govy house with high ceilings...

IP Logged

True Blue...
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: wood fire burning heaters..
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2014 at 8:32pm

in the old open fires farmers would put a steel plough disk in the back of the fire to hold the heat but at the end of the day wood fires are a waste of time ...any Australian wood heater , such as coonara , would be a great improvement, wood heating isn't that cheap but an enclosed fire should be far better then the old open fire...

We have both natural gas and wood... if it's a cold weekend we get the wood fire going as it'll heat the entire house... I'll sit around in shorts on freezing day  it gets so warm  Smiley

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"

Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2014 at 8:52pm

Needless to say people who burn wood fires in the home should be charged and given custodial sentences for being anti-social bastards to their neighbours.

The stink of scrounged timbers burning in these fires invades every corner of my home and another neighbour's home, with the offender living between our two houses.

We have to close all the windows and doors as tightly as possible.

These people are money-grubbing arseholes who go scrounging for loose timbers wherever they can find it ~ and in 9 out of 10 cases the timbers are treated timbers with toxic carcinogenic chemicals in them.

Second problem: Soot.

Soot on the windows sills ... soot on every ledge that can hold soot particles. Soot on hung washing. Soot on your car in the driveway.

Third Problem: Toxic gasses.

Headaches and sore eyes.

And all because some wankers want to tell their workmates how they're saving on electricity and gas.

IP Logged

austranger
Gold Member

Opinionated Sod

adelaide
Reply #3 - Jul 5th, 2014 at 9:22pm

Ignore that.
Look for a good Combustion Heater, they are plentiful and most are very efficient heaters, plus glass-fronted ones are excellent visually and great mood-setters.
It's simple technology and quite cost-effective still. Use Mallee roots or similar hardwoods for best effect, they burn slow and hot. Some Combustion Heaters have cooking tops too, another bonus, great for winter soups and slow-cooking.
Look around, what you get will largely depend on what you're prepared to pay, and in this as in so much else, you really do get what you pay for. Buying cheap can easily be a false economy.
Good luck.  Wink

Any day with a smile in it is a good day

IP Logged

austranger
Gold Member

Opinionated Sod

adelaide
Reply #4 - Jul 5th, 2014 at 9:27pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Jul 5th, 2014 at 8:52pm:
Needless to say people who burn wood fires in the home should be charged and given custodial sentences for being anti-social bastards to their neighbours.

The stink of scrounged timbers burning in these fires invades every corner of my home and another neighbour's home, with the offender living between our two houses.

We have to close all the windows and doors as tightly as possible.

These people are money-grubbing arseholes who go scrounging for loose timbers wherever they can find it ~ and in 9 out of 10 cases the timbers are treated timbers with toxic carcinogenic chemicals in them.

Second problem: Soot.

Soot on the windows sills ... soot on every ledge that can hold soot particles. Soot on hung washing. Soot on your car in the driveway.

Third Problem: Toxic gasses.

Headaches and sore eyes.

And all because some wankers want to tell their workmates how they're saving on electricity and gas.

All those problems are solved by use of a combustion heater, they are contained and easily cleaned, efficient burners of fuel and great for heating. Toxic gasses are vented safely, and as long as you choose to use natural woods or coal/coke products you won't bother anyone.

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Jul 5th, 2014 at 9:29pm

combustion heaters will shortly be banned for very good reason, dont waste your money.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jul 5th, 2014 at 10:54pm

thank you for the advice.I love a happy  burning fire..BUT its not for me..

I have aircon now and I hate it..nothing worse than hot air blowing on you all night. ugh..as for the whingers  well !!!!

IP Logged

The Mole
Gold Member

http://www.ozpolitic
.co/album/forum-atta
chments/y

Reply #7 - Jul 5th, 2014 at 11:06pm

---
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2014 at 11:23pm by The Mole »  

"Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave"

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Jul 5th, 2014 at 11:23pm

cods wrote on Jul 5th, 2014 at 10:54pm:
thank you for the advice.I love a happy  burning fire..BUT its not for me..

I have aircon now and I hate it..nothing worse than hot air blowing on you all night. ugh..as for the whingers  well !!!!

we have had air put on recently.
I set the time to turn it on at 3 am at 18 degrees, turn off at 7 am.
it's good

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

austranger
Gold Member

Opinionated Sod

adelaide
Reply #9 - Jul 5th, 2014 at 11:53pm

ian wrote on Jul 5th, 2014 at 9:29pm:
combustion heaters will shortly be banned for very good reason, dont waste your money.

What makes you think that?
Not disputing, but very curious, I haven't heard any such rumour. As far as I was aware such things are local council controlled, but I don't claim any authority on it.
The old farmhouse I raised my brood in had a huge, centrally located wood stove, it served as heater and cooker every winter, and performed brilliantly at both functions, it never went out.Lighting and extinguishing it became annual rituals too, with little ceremonies and privileges for the kinder as they grew, it was great fun and happy memories for them now.
There's an atavistic pleasure in fires, it's a primitive thing, and the one thing that truly separates us from the animal kingdom, it would be a real shame to rob our kids, and ourselves, of that.  Cry

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jul 5th, 2014 at 11:59pm

If you do buy a wood burning heater, get the biggest one available so you can fit a decent sized lump of wood on it.

I dont have other houses around me and I love having a wood fire.

I load the fire up with wood when I light it then (make sure there is no heat left in it) then pour methylated spirits all over and on the cold charcoal underneath.

Then I stand back and light it.

I get an instant burst of heat, no smudgy smokey fire and the fire draws well and gets the coals glowing hot in no time.

I know its dangerous, but it works.

Oh yes a big door on the firebox as well so you dont burn yourself putting wood on.

IP Logged

austranger
Gold Member

Opinionated Sod

adelaide
Reply #11 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 12:24am

I love nothing better than a wood fire BBQ, it lends a flavour nothing else can match.
I usually build my own, and it once led to an amusing arvo. We were living right opposite the local CFS station, I lit the fire and helpful people driving past saw flames leaping and called the Firies, bless their little black hearts, lol.
Those volunteers arrived in minutes, screeching in and hurriedly suiting up, blocked the traffic in both directions, and drove across the road. By the time this was accomplished the fire was down to coals of course. If even ONE of them had thought to actually WALK over and check a lot of drama could have been avoided!  Grin
Naturally I invited them to stay for the barbie, so a couple of them did, and a great arvo was had by all concerned!
I'll never forget the look on their faces as they stood atop their fire-truck, looming over the fence at the kids and I and a few friends sitting quietly around the barbie, beers in hand and wondering WTF was going on!  Grin
A priceless moment, and memory!  Cool

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 12:33am

we used to have a place that had a coal range, it was great.

fires have been banned here for many years now

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 8:10am

austranger wrote on Jul 5th, 2014 at 11:53pm:

Not disputing, but very curious, I haven't heard any such rumour. As far as I was aware such things are local council controlled, but I don't claim any authority on it.
The old farmhouse I raised my brood in had a huge, centrally located wood stove, it served as heater and cooker every winter, and performed brilliantly at both functions, it never went out.Lighting and extinguishing it became annual rituals too, with little ceremonies and privileges for the kinder as they grew, it was great fun and happy memories for them now.
There's an atavistic pleasure in fires, it's a primitive thing, and the one thing that truly separates us from the animal kingdom, it would be a real shame to rob our kids, and ourselves, of that.  Cry

those where the days my friend....

my sons house is heritage old as old think it might be one of the first built in ACT...it also has the stove still in the kitchen area.. and they do light that from time to time..but like most of the old fashioned things the real heat goes up the chimney... and the wood burns away so fast..

he has a fire place in the lounge room more wide than deep....so thats where any heater would have to go.. as you can imagine the rooms are real pokey one I have seen would fit [i think]in there but its quite expensive so not too sure...

coal burning is banned but think wood is okay...

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 8:13am

miketrees wrote on Jul 5th, 2014 at 11:59pm:
If you do buy a wood burning heater, get the biggest one available so you can fit a decent sized lump of wood on it.

I dont have other houses around me and I love having a wood fire.

I load the fire up with wood when I light it then (make sure there is no heat left in it) then pour methylated spirits all over and on the cold charcoal underneath.

Then I stand back and light it.

I get an instant burst of heat, no smudgy smokey fire and the fire draws well and gets the coals glowing hot in no time.

I know its dangerous, but it works.

Oh yes a big door on the firebox as well so you dont burn yourself putting wood on.

it cant be big this is the problem it such a pokey house....they want top dollar for it though[ rent I mean]..

maybe you should buy firestarters instead of metho  I have heard some nasty tales about that

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #15 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 8:18am

austranger wrote on Jul 5th, 2014 at 9:27pm:
All those problems are solved by use of a combustion heater, they are contained and easily cleaned, efficient burners of fuel and great for heating. Toxic gasses are vented safely, and as long as you choose to use natural woods or coal/coke products you won't bother anyone.

Grin Grin Grin

... as long as ... if if if ....

What a load of pre-conditions, 'buts' and 'ifs' to ensure you're not going to force your neighbours to choke on your heating effluent.

The law states that you can use your old inefficient pot-bellied wood-fire heater for as long as it is still usable in your lounge-room, but when and if you buy a new one you then must buy one of the modern double-combusting ones that re-burns the particulates in the flue.

And so ... we who live in the Sydney suburbs will have to wait at least a couple of generations before these old crocks finally go past their Use By date.

Meeeeanwhile we'll just have to keep sucking in the neighbour's carcinogenic toxic fumes ... and there's not a damn thing the law can do about it.

At least it's not as bad as my Italian neighbour's backyard burning bin where before she left for other parts used to burn her granddaughter's disposable nappies and the family's sanitary towels ... with the smell being so disgusting that it could euthanase birds flying over her property.

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 8:41am

A slow combustion heater is very efficient and does a wonderful job of heating your home. Properly managed, they produce negligible smoke and effluent.

I spent some time in a small house on rural acreage that had such a heater.  With the temp outside about 10 degrees, interior temp could get as high as 24 throughout the house. Nice. And it was on acreage so the fuel supply was no problem.

Second-hand jobs can be sourced from about $400 and up. 20kg of Australian hardwood, already split, can be bought from Bunnings for $12.

A quick Google on bans only found some restrictions in newer suburbs in Canberra with no apparent intention to make such bans retroactive. If you live in a large metro area, local council will supply you with advice.

If you already have gas connected, gas heaters also do a good job.

Small electric heaters can add as much as $300 - $400 to your quarterly bill, so any alternative could be priced with this figure in mind.

Hope this helps.

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #17 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 1:16pm

If you can afford it get a Jotul. Norwegian I think they are. They may be the most expensive but they are cast iron and last for ever. You can get them at BBQ Galore these days.

I'm just about to go and chop some wood, so up yours Greens!

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #18 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 1:23pm

Lionel Edriess wrote on Jul 6th, 2014 at 8:41am:
A slow combustion heater is very efficient and does a wonderful job of heating your home. Properly managed, they produce negligible smoke and effluent.

I spent some time in a small house on rural acreage that had such a heater.  With the temp outside about 10 degrees, interior temp could get as high as 24 throughout the house. Nice. And it was on acreage so the fuel supply was no problem.

Second-hand jobs can be sourced from about $400 and up. 20kg of Australian hardwood, already split, can be bought from Bunnings for $12.

There are sacks of these at my local Bunnings, and the cost of using these to heat your lounge-room all day long during the winter months would be triple the amount you'd spend on electricity or gas.

Nobody is going to splash out $12 for these small sacks of wood all winter long. If you live in the city area you'll soon be in your car looking to scrounge old fence palings etc that are all chemically treated against decay and weather-damage.

In the UK we used ...

newspaper overlaid with ... sticks ... which were overlaid with a few pieces of Anthracite ... then a bed of coal ... and on top of it all a bed of coke.

Smiley

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #19 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 1:37pm

bogarde73 wrote on Jul 6th, 2014 at 1:16pm:
If you can afford it get a Jotul. Norwegian I think they are. They may be the most expensive but they are cast iron and last for ever. You can get them at BBQ Galore these days.

Long-lasting shouldn't be the priority. Efficient burners that burn off the floating particulates from the initial burning is the best there is.

In the UK the smell of wood fires was beautiful, but you didn't see your neighbours coming home with box-trailers full of scrounged timbers that were saturated in grease, paint, copper sulphate, and christ-knows-what-else.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #20 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 3:45pm

I agree that they are no longer suitable for suburban/city areas. But they are definitely a logical choice in country towns or areas of farming or small holdings, where supplies of good burning firewood are available.
Where I am the best burning wood to get, if you have access to it is ironbark, redgum & yellow box. I also source a fair bit from my own property but that is mainly stringy bark.
Nothing heats like a slow combustion stove.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 3:55pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Jul 6th, 2014 at 1:37pm:

Long-lasting shouldn't be the priority. Efficient burners that burn off the floating particulates from the initial burning is the best there is.

In the UK the smell of wood fires was beautiful, but you didn't see your neighbours coming home with box-trailers full of scrounged timbers that were saturated in grease, paint, copper sulphate, and christ-knows-what-else.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e150/ruffdiamond/ruffdiamond074/treat_zpsaa7d7...

herb dob them in....that is as far as I know illegal..they are not even allowed to burn that at the dumps.... tell the powers that be you have asthma and will die if they dont do something.

they will send a heating hitler round..it sounds revolting.....we lived next door to Indians in London and they must have lived on cabbage... and they were always burning it...OMG..

IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Reply #22 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 4:21pm

cods wrote on Jul 6th, 2014 at 3:55pm:
Lord Herbert wrote on Jul 6th, 2014 at 1:37pm:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e150/ruffdiamond/ruffdiamond074/treat_zpsaa7d7...

herb dob them in....that is as far as I know illegal..they are not even allowed to burn that at the dumps.... tell the powers that be you have asthma and will die if they dont do something.

they will send a heating hitler round..it sounds revolting.....we lived next door to Indians in London and they must have lived on cabbage... and they were always burning it...OMG..

wood has got to the point now where it is dearer than LPG.  If natural gas is not available in the area, an LPG heater would do the job.    I have a LPG "wood log" heater in my lounge room and it does a fantastic job.    Leaving it on most of the day cost me around 100 pm in gas, but far cheaper than a wood fire.     You may even be able to pick up a second hand one.

I would not suggest putting in a wood fire though.  Even a basic one would cost over a thousand - then there is all the nausea with the wood!   In Tassie now, you cannot put in a wood fire in some areas - unless there is no alternative for heating.

I loved my Coonara, but it just got too expensive to run.  LPG did the trick and was cheaper.   If they go gas though, make sure there is a container of water near the fire that can evaporate.  Gas heating can cause issues with young kids and their breathing

Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies
Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies

IP Logged

austranger
Gold Member

Opinionated Sod

adelaide
Reply #23 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 5:08pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Jul 6th, 2014 at 8:18am:
austranger wrote on Jul 5th, 2014 at 9:27pm:

Grin Grin Grin

... as long as ... if if if ....

What a load of pre-conditions, 'buts' and 'ifs' to ensure you're not going to force your neighbours to choke on your heating effluent.

The law states that you can use your old inefficient pot-bellied wood-fire heater for as long as it is still usable in your lounge-room, but when and if you buy a new one you then must buy one of the modern double-combusting ones that re-burns the particulates in the flue.

And so ... we who live in the Sydney suburbs will have to wait at least a couple of generations before these old crocks finally go past their Use By date.

Meeeeanwhile we'll just have to keep sucking in the neighbour's carcinogenic toxic fumes ... and there's not a damn thing the law can do about it.

At least it's not as bad as my Italian neighbour's backyard burning bin where before she left for other parts used to burn her granddaughter's disposable nappies and the family's sanitary towels ... with the smell being so disgusting that it could euthanase birds flying over her property.

I was under the impression we were discussing the purchase of a new one, so we're both right, in a sense.
Buying wood for a fire is cost-effective for heating, as long as you approach it the same way as any other household purchase. You don't do your regular shopping at deli's and service-stations do you?
There are proper places to buy good firewood and with a little looking around anyone can sort out which is cheaper and/or carries an appropriate supply. I found that it worked out cheaper going into the rural area to buy too, even with the costs of transport included, better wood for lower prices.
If you buy in sufficient quantities most places will deliver too. Chopping up your own wood is also d*mn good exercise, a health plus.
Another tactic that worked for me as an occasional thing, get to know any local tree removalists, they often have wood they're willing to sell cheap, if you have the space to store it as it dries that is, unless it's already well dead and suitable for immediate use, that can and does happen too.
I was lucky with my wood stove, it was a true monster that was installed in the original build and had been set up as the heat source for the whole house from the beginning.
When the house was demolished they had to tear down walls and bring in a crane to remove it! It was shipped to Sydney for auction, I'd love to know what it sold for, people in the supply side suggested it would be several thousand at least! The antique enamel-tin tiling around it was sold at nearly a $thou per square metre, it's a rare antique now! That house also had three beautiful Art-Noveau fireplaces which were sent to auction, in England!  Shocked

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #24 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 5:28pm

herb dob them in....

You can't be serious. If I was living on the North Shore with tertiary educated neighbours who'd grown up with Middle Class social values, I'd chance my luck with asking them to mend their ways, but not here where I live amongst the dross and the delinquent ferals of Boganville.

Make a complaint here and you're likely to be beaten up and terrorised in a hundred different ways before you finally sell up and move.

Complaining only works when you're dealing with at least half-decent people.

Who are the ones that neighbours have an issue with? 9 times out of 10 it's with violent sociopaths who used to get suspended and expelled from school as a routine event. And then they grow up and become our neighbours ... vicious, undisciplined, psychotic ferals.

IP Logged

austranger
Gold Member

Opinionated Sod

adelaide
Reply #25 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 6:14pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Jul 6th, 2014 at 5:28pm:
herb dob them in....

You can't be serious. If I was living on the North Shore with tertiary educated neighbours who'd grown up with Middle Class social values, I'd chance my luck with asking them to mend their ways, but not here where I live amongst the dross and the delinquent ferals of Boganville.

Make a complaint here and you're likely to be beaten up and terrorised in a hundred different ways before you finally sell up and move.

Who are the ones that neighbours have an issue with? 9 times out of 10 it's with violent sociopaths who used to get suspended and expelled from school as a routine event. And then they grow up and become our neighbours ... vicious, undisciplined, psychotic ferals.

So true, unfortunately, and that sort of problem is getting more widespread every year, courtesy of modern parenting and a ludicrously inadequate education system.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 6:28pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Jul 6th, 2014 at 5:28pm:
herb dob them in....

unlucky you ....seems bad that they are allowed to poison people though dont you think??...short of making a huge windmill and blowing the smoke back to their side..... its like those poor people that live next door to those women who collect peoples garbage and fill the house and yard to the brim...why is it they never get sick or bitten by rats.. I will never know

IP Logged

Doctor Jolly
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 7:15pm

Bike licenses, banning wood heaters....  is there nothing these red tape crazies dont want regulated?

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #28 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 7:28pm

cods wrote on Jul 5th, 2014 at 7:08pm:
does anyone have any tips on buying one...I am thinking of buying one for my son and his family..they have the wood open fire but the heat all goes up the chimney.. they need something that would burn slow and maybe all night ...they live in an older govy house with high ceilings...

We have THIS one

Small Bushranger MK3

The Bushranger allows you to enjoy the superior warmth and comfort of solid fuel heating.

Rustic in appearance, this efficient and environmentally friendly heater has been designed to generate convected and radiant heat. This ensures maximum heating capacity whilst maintaining low clearances, emissions and overnight burning.

The large firebox is partially surrounded by an insulating shroud. This creates a hot air chamber allowing for natural convection, without the need for fan forced heat, ensuring the most efficient use of firewood.

The single air control system makes operating your heater simple and the large self cleaning front glass door provides easy reloading. A three-speed fan can be fitted to both models if desired

http://www.woodheaters.com.au/Small-Bushranger.php

... which heats the house all night - week after week

http://weather.eganstown.net.au/index.htm

It's a BLOODY RIPPER !

My house is a compact ( ... or small) 80 square metres

There are also LARGER models and styles on the web site

http://www.woodheaters.com.au/index.php

* ... ours was ALSO a ( ... housewarming) gift, from my mum ( ... and dad)

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #29 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 7:29pm

Vic wrote on Jul 6th, 2014 at 4:21pm:
wood has got to the point now where it is dearer than LPG.

Correct!

I actually laughed out loud when I saw these piles of small bags with woodfire timber going for $12 each at Bunnings. That's fine for the moneyed elite on the North Shore, but in most of Sydney you couldn't find anyone so insane as to pay that price while at no cost rotting and derelict fences and railway sleepers are only a short distance away in any direction.

Vic wrote on Jul 6th, 2014 at 4:21pm:
If natural gas is not available in the area, an LPG heater would do the job.    I have a LPG "wood log" heater in my lounge room and it does a fantastic job.    Leaving it on most of the day cost me around 100 pm in gas, but far cheaper than a wood fire.

For myself, I like heat in winter ~ lots of it ... and not just centred around a small little pot-bellied stove with a mica-windowed gate for filling and stoking. I run a 2.75hp split-system wall heater almost all day long ... because that's why they invented electricity.

Looks good, Buzz!.

When my aunt was growing up in Russia she and the whole family slept in a wide bed that was on top of the cooking-plus-heating stove made of brick.

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #30 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 7:47pm

some wankers want to tell their workmates how they're saving on electricity and gas.

I ALWAYS get a laugh out of that one

A wood fire costs at least FOUR TIMES that of gas or electricity to run
Wood fires are ONLY cheaper if you have an endless supply of free firewood

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 7:55pm

austranger wrote on Jul 5th, 2014 at 11:53pm:

A BIG FAT case of ENVY

This sort of bitterness is a standard response from the 'have-nots'

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 8:00pm

Cods it its only a small place, I would not go for the wood option.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #33 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 8:19pm

buzzanddidj wrote on Jul 6th, 2014 at 7:47pm:
some wankers want to tell their workmates how they're saving on electricity and gas.

Correct!

But not only that, my nutty neighbour with the inefficient wood-burner spends bloody hours of his weekends driving around to bring the shite home to burn ... and then chopping into sizable pieces ... and then the chainsaw ... and then the shovel-and-pan to get the ashes out ... and then the stink of burning treated timbers must be in his own home as well ... and then he has neighbours who hate him because of the smoke and the stink.

Grin Grin Grin

He's kidding himself that he's doing something smart.

Dumb ... really dumb.

And then to top it off he's installed large tanks to collect rain-water ... which requires an electrical pump to spray the lawn!  Grin

Dumb ... dumber.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 8:35pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Jul 6th, 2014 at 7:29pm:
When my aunt was growing up in Russia she and the whole family slept in a wide bed that was on top of the cooking-plus-heating stove made of brick.

I saw those when I went to a 'house' museum in Bucharest that had various replica buildings from 2000 yrs ago onwards  ... quite a good day out actually, it let you see how they used to live

I didn't think anyone still used it anymore.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 8:38pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Jul 6th, 2014 at 8:19pm:
buzzanddidj wrote on Jul 6th, 2014 at 7:47pm:

Correct!

But not only that, my nutty neighbour with the inefficient wood-burner spends bloody hours of his weekends driving around to bring the shite home to burn ... and then chopping into sizable pieces ... and then the chainsaw ... and then the shovel-and-pan to get the ashes out ... and then the stink of burning treated timbers must be in his own home as well ... and then he has neighbours who hate him because of the smoke and the stink.

Grin Grin Grin

He's kidding himself that he's doing something smart.

Dumb ... really dumb.

And then to top it off he's installed large tanks to collect rain-water ... which requires an electrical pump to spray the lawn!  Grin

Dumb ... dumber.

maybe he enjoys spending his weekends looking for firewood ?...

and whats wrong with the water tank? he wants a green lawn and wants to save on water, with no tank he'd still spray his lawn but use tap water .. those pumps use bugger all in electricity ...

why are you always so negative?

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #36 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 8:46pm

John Smith wrote on Jul 6th, 2014 at 8:35pm:
Lord Herbert wrote on Jul 6th, 2014 at 7:29pm:

I saw those when I went to a 'house' museum in Bucharest that had various replica buildings from 2000 yrs ago onwards  ... quite a good day out actually, it let you see how they used to live

I didn't think anyone still used it anymore.

I thought my aunt was joking when she told me, but I didn't realise a Russian winter is NOT an English or Australian winter ...

If you spit, the gob bounces like a hail-stone.

The whole back wall of the kitchen had a brick kiln built against it upon which the bedding for the whole family was laid. Beautifully warm all night and day while sparrows were literally dropping out of the sky from the cold.

This was in woodland north of Moscow.

This is the aunt who escaped from Stalin by crossing Siberia to Vladivostok in the east, and then Harbin.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 6:34am

miketrees wrote on Jul 6th, 2014 at 8:00pm:

thank for all the input I am more confused than ever......the trouble is its a govy house...which does have electric heaters but the bills come in at $800...no gas connection...open fireplace and he has a mate who has land and hes allowed to collect the wood... I know but what else can he do?, but the open fire burns the wood at a terrific rate  and most heat goes up the chimney...reminds me of England... the winter time here is pretty short when you think of the northern hemisphere....I was hoping I could maybe meet them half way on the cost...I personally love a fire the red glow alone does it for me...BUT there are many BUTS are there not?..I would just want something cheap cheerful and works..LOL..

dont we all?

I remember hot  front freezing back...lol...I also remember toast made on the open fire. delish

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #38 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 7:41am

The Final Compromise ...

A kerosene heater.  Smiley

IP Logged

True Blue...
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 5:32pm

fair dinkum, you talk more poo than a dung beetle...  Angry

Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

True Blue...
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 5:38pm

cods wrote on Jul 7th, 2014 at 6:34am:

thank for all the input I am more confused than ever......the trouble is its a govy house...which does have electric heaters but the bills come in at $800...no gas connection...open fireplace and he has a mate who has land and hes allowed to collect the wood... I know but what else can he do?, but the open fire burns the wood at a terrific rate  and most heat goes up the chimney...reminds me of England... the winter time here is pretty short when you think of the northern hemisphere....I was hoping I could maybe meet them half way on the cost...I personally love a fire the red glow alone does it for me...BUT there are many BUTS are there not?..I would just want something cheap cheerful and works..LOL..

dont we all?

I remember hot  front freezing back...lol...I also remember toast made on the open fire. delish

look... its not rocket surgery..

go to a wood heater place and have a look at them...

they'll all do a good job...

but..

here's what I'd look at...

the opening of the door and how big it is....

you've got to be able to get a log of wood in the door without whittling it down to tooth picks..

my wood heater is called the "Kimberly" .

on the outside... the firebox is 700 x 550 mm

as I was saying... when its going well, it'll heat the entire house...

it has a fan this model so it belts the heat out.. some models don't have a fan..

Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #41 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 5:42pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Jul 7th, 2014 at 7:41am:

Does that emit smellable smoke?

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 5:44pm

dont we all?

he can always put his own gas connection (use a licensed gas fitter) and use gas bottles (I think they are 50Kg bottles) , it doesn't have to be connected to the gas mains.

My mum uses those and two bottles a year is suffice. Although the Gong isn't anywhere near as cold as Canberra so you can expect to use an extra bottle or two

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #43 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 5:47pm

True Blue... wrote on Jul 7th, 2014 at 5:32pm:

Grin Grin Grin

You got that wrong!

Dung beetles walk their poo, not talk it.

You owe Ian an apology.  Cool

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #44 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 5:48pm

.....and Walter.....where'd you find that thing?

IP Logged

True Blue...
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #45 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 5:49pm

John Smith wrote on Jul 7th, 2014 at 5:44pm:

dont we all?

he can always put his own gas connection (use a licensed gas fitter) and use gas bottles (I think they are 50Kg bottles) , it doesn't have to be connected to the gas mains.

My mum uses those and two bottles a year is suffice. Although the Gong isn't anywhere near as cold as Canberra so you can expect to use an extra bottle or two

we used to have bottled gas in our house as kids.. we'd go through two bottles a month...

and since then.. bottled gas is like 10 times the price...

they already have wood and access to it so just go wood... but go more efficient like cods says..

they also belt out 10 times the heat as an open fire..

we rented a house when I first got married waiting for the new house to be built...

it only had an open fire and we were fricken freezing for those three months...  Angry

Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #46 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 5:50pm

Aussie wrote on Jul 7th, 2014 at 5:42pm:
Lord Herbert wrote on Jul 7th, 2014 at 7:41am:

Does that emit smellable smoke?

No smoke, but it did smell a nice kerosene odour that saved me $$$ on sniffing Tarzan's Grip.

That was around 1972.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #47 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 5:51pm

Aussie wrote on Jul 7th, 2014 at 5:48pm:

In a field with cow pats.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #48 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 5:53pm

True Blue... wrote on Jul 7th, 2014 at 5:49pm:
we rented a house when I first got married waiting for the new house to be built...

it only had an open fire and we were fricken freezing for those three months...  Angry

Huh? Why'd you want to get out of bed?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 5:53pm

dont we all?

we used to have bottled gas in our house as kids.. we'd go through two bottles a month...

they already have wood and access to it so just go wood... but go more efficient like cods says..

2 bottles a month? were you using it for cooking and hot water too?

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

True Blue...
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #50 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 6:02pm

John Smith wrote on Jul 7th, 2014 at 5:53pm:

dont we all?

2 bottles a month? were you using it for cooking and hot water too?

cooking as well... the hot water was electric

dad would always have the gas heater turned down as low as it would go and only heating one room...

also only turned it on when things were really cold...

this is Australia ff s... heating fuel should be so cheap we should have our heaters on non stop...

WE HAVE ALL OF THE RESOURCES..

Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #51 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 6:53pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Jul 7th, 2014 at 5:51pm:
Aussie wrote on Jul 7th, 2014 at 5:48pm:

In a field with cow pats.

Really?  Did it have a name?

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 9:15pm

I would go a small reverse cycle aircon, you get cool and heat.

i have not worked out how to get the wood burner on cool cycle yet.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #53 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 9:21pm

miketrees wrote on Jul 7th, 2014 at 9:15pm:

easy, leave the logs outside and open the door. Grin Grin Grin

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

austranger
Gold Member

Opinionated Sod

adelaide
Reply #54 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 9:30pm

miketrees wrote on Jul 7th, 2014 at 9:15pm:

RC air-con is just about the most expensive form of heating around.
Cooling
Ever heard of fans? Spinning things, push air around?
Here's a picture of one, I'm surprised you haven't seen them, they've only been around for about a century.

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #55 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 11:08pm

cods wrote on Jul 5th, 2014 at 7:08pm:

Okay, here is what I have learnt from something like 30 years of having a wood burning heater.

Our last place, had an open fireplace, and yep, all the heat went up the chimney, then we found where the Coonara factory was, and measured up so that the sides were extended for a insertable fireplace wood burner. And the best thing about this type of fireplace insert, is you don't have to worry about the extra $ for flue installation. Needs no flue.

And this truly did mark the event for us, it did a fantastic job.

We live in another abode now, (next township, only 5 mins up the road)...and bought a different brand 'free standing' wood heater, with big flue and all.

Well, one thing we found, compared to our other wood heater, this one didn't have an 'ash door with a removable ash draw'.....to clean out the build up of ash.

And the reason that is a problem....because, we have to wait until the fireplace is dead cold before we can clean it out, and have to have other heating on instead of this.

Whereas with the Coonara with the removable ash draw/tray, you can remove the ash whilst the fire is still roaring.

So that's one thing I learnt.

And the next thing, wood ain't wood.

If you are in a woody area with trees naturally dying and falling (where we live on acreage that is what happens)....you need a good strong back, a chain saw, a trailer on tractor to cart it off the property to somewhere where you can store the wood (unless it's been dead and standing for a while)....if the wood is green, you need at least a year before you can burn it.
So then, you do need a good axe to split the wood (we bought a wood splitter that picks up the logs and splits it).
Otherwise, you have to use an axe to split the wood.

Then have somewhere dry to store it.

Of course, if you buy it, around our area, it goes for something like $80 to $100 per cubic metre.

Then there is redgum, and a trifle more expensive, probably about $130-140 square cubic metre.

We have a Rinnai LPG heater as a back up, but LPG is not cheap, so it's only an occasional.

One thing I wish, that this free standing heater had a hotplate on top, to put on the kettle or soup or stew etc.

Re: the slow combustion heaters, they truly are a gem, our friends in the old farm house still have one, and it keeps the place warm, as well as cooking on it, and heats their water up also.

I remember in our last place, the neighbour was a fencing contractor, and he occasionally gave us the old red gum posts that was demolished when the new fence would be put up....gosh, that was the best wood ever!
Some were something like 100 years old...in fact, I sneakly saved some of them, in a big plastic bag, in the back office room because I reckon it's too nice to burn.

Also, we had friends of friends, that have a furniture factory, where they have heaps of wood dust, that they compress together, and make eco logs, but could not rid of it as it was excessive, and a few of us in the area went to pick it all up, and those eco logs, are fantastic...burn clean.

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #56 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 11:12pm

IP Logged

austranger
Gold Member

Opinionated Sod

adelaide
Reply #57 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 11:16pm

Hey LL, here's a tip re' cleaning out ash that may assist you.
What I always did with my wood stove was allow it to burn down to coals, then use a poker to push those to one side, scrape out the ash from the other side, use the poker to roll the coals back across to the cleaned side and remove the rest of the ash, coals back to the centre, add wood, and away she goes again. This removes the need for other heating entirely, and you get only a little warm while doing it as it doesn't take very long.
Hope that helps.  Wink

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #58 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 11:55pm

True Blue... wrote on Jul 7th, 2014 at 5:32pm:

and you eat more Cheesy

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #59 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 11:56pm

Quote:
Hey LL, here's a tip re' cleaning out ash that may assist you.
What I always did with my wood stove was allow it to burn down to coals, then use a poker to push those to one side, scrape out the ash from the other side, use the poker to roll the coals back across to the cleaned side and remove the rest of the ash, coals back to the centre, add wood, and away she goes again. This removes the need for other heating entirely, and you get only a little warm while doing it as it doesn't take very long.
Hope that helps.

Oh yes, we have done it whilst some red coals still in there, and we use a steel tin to put in the hot ash to take outside to cool off...but compared to the way the coonara was built, it was a hellova lot better.

Also, have you noticed, when you go to shovel out the ash, it makes a lot of airborn ash dust...so, we have the vacuum suction going to clear that...but to be careful not to suck up any hot ash.....

I still prefer that anyone buying a wood heater, to get the easier way of cleaning, with the removable tray.

Oh, and another thing with the comparisons.....this upmarket version, when you want to put in more wood, have to open the vent, jar the door, and wait for the smoke to settle, but with the wood heaters with draws at the bottom of the fire grid, all you have to do is open that, and the smoke goes upwards, and voila, put your wood in without too much smoke filling the room.

IP Logged

austranger
Gold Member

Opinionated Sod

adelaide
Reply #60 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 12:22am

Of course the draw models are better, that's a given really, I was only making a suggestion re' your problems with the one you've got.
You're right too about the air-borne ash, but I found that if I did the job gently and carefully that that reduced it significantly. Also, the more often you do it the less ash there is, to remove or to clean up afterwards. How often really depends on how much you feed it though, so I can't really make any precise recommendations there.
I still believe that having a fire is worth the little extra bit of work though, it's sort of primally satisfying, and great for all sorts of occasions and moments.

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #61 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 12:44am

austranger wrote on Jul 8th, 2014 at 12:22am:

I still believe that having a fire is worth the little extra bit of work though, it's sort of primally satisfying, and great for all sorts of occasions and moments.
Oh, how wonderful and enchanting. all sorts of occassions and moments, I cant contain myself with the absolute delightfulness of it.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #62 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 10:31am

ian wrote on Jul 8th, 2014 at 12:44am:

Oh, how wonderful and enchanting. all sorts of occassions and moments, I cant contain myself with the absolute delightfulness of it.

The burning, ever-present dyspepsia of the class warrior.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #63 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 11:02am

bogarde73 wrote on Jul 8th, 2014 at 10:31am:
ian wrote on Jul 8th, 2014 at 12:44am:

The burning, ever-present dyspepsia of the class warrior.

people forget..wood has been burning naturally for millions of years...in fact in this country if it wasnt for fire.. we wouldnt have any native flora from what I can make out....

we live in funny times...

suddenly burning of wood is the enemy...yet year in year out we have natural bush fires all over the world America is very very prone....

goodness me to my knowledge it didnt just start with the industrial revolution..

and its a natural culling  and part of evolution....

it wouldnt happen I am sure it it wasnt part of the       bigger scheme

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #64 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 11:18am

People sh!t in the bush for millions of years before toilets were invented too cods.

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #65 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 11:52am

cods wrote on Jul 8th, 2014 at 11:02am:
people forget..wood has been burning naturally for millions of years...in fact in this country if it wasnt for fire.. we wouldnt have any native flora from what I can make out....

we live in funny times...

suddenly burning of wood is the enemy...yet year in year out we have natural bush fires all over the world America is very very prone....

goodness me to my knowledge it didnt just start with the industrial revolution..

and its a natural culling  and part of evolution....

it wouldnt happen I am sure it it wasnt part of the       bigger scheme

It's been quoted...."Fire is a good servant, but a bad master."
And, all things in moderation, there was evidence of natural bushfires in Australia before colonization. But, when we have a lot of logging done, and then in this day and age, with what trees we have left, with accidental or deliberately lit fires to destroy it....that is where it's not at all helpful to any flora, fauna, native animals and people and their loss of homes (eg: we have had some really bad fires in our area and a lot of loss).
This is where it is not a natural balance.
Nothing exceeds like excess, and I mean, the way the trees are being torn down for profit, is where we have gone wrong.
Our property, when any trees die of their own natural causes, we clean it up and utilize it for heating, and we also replant native trees and shrubs. This we consider a balance.

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #66 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 11:56am

ian wrote on Jul 8th, 2014 at 11:18am:
People sh!t in the bush for millions of years before toilets were invented too cods.

Yes, and very good fertilization I believe, but....with the population explosion, I don't think that is a good idea anymore, and hence, toilets and sewerage treatment systems are a necessity.

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #67 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 12:33pm

Sophia wrote on Jul 8th, 2014 at 11:56am:

Yes, and very good fertilization I believe, but....with the population explosion, I don't think that is a good idea anymore, and hence, toilets and sewerage treatment systems are a necessity.
correct, and we no longer huddle around fires in a damp cave.

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #68 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 1:49pm

ian wrote on Jul 8th, 2014 at 12:33pm:
Sophia wrote on Jul 8th, 2014 at 11:56am:

and we no longer huddle around fires in a damp cave

That's just ONE aspect of my terrace house in Fitzroy I DON'T miss

( ... whoever THOUGHT of 12 foot ceilings ?)

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #69 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 1:49pm

The bears used the toilets.

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #70 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 6:08pm

thank for all the input I am more confused than ever......the trouble is its a govy house...which does have electric heaters but the bills come in at $800...no gas connection...open fireplace and he has a mate who has land and hes allowed to collect the wood

If you can get free firewood - you've got the cheapest form of heating

If you have to PAY for firewood - your heating cost will be the most EXPENSIVE

* ... a good combustion woodfire, with fan, will use about a quater of the fuel burnt by an open fire - and easilyput out twice BTU's

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #71 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 2:45pm

bogarde73 wrote on Jul 6th, 2014 at 3:45pm:
I agree that they are no longer suitable for suburban/city areas. But they are definitely a logical choice in country towns or areas of farming or small holdings, where supplies of good burning firewood are available.
Where I am the best burning wood to get, if you have access to it is ironbark, redgum & yellow box. I also source a fair bit from my own property but that is mainly stringy bark.
Nothing heats like a slow combustion stove.

I knew there was a timber I forgot to mention and it came to me today (slow retrieval): she-oak. A beautiful burning wood if you get it before it dies or hasn't been dead too long, otherwise it goes pulpy.
In the old days, so I'm told, bakers used to use it in ovens because it burns so hot.

IP Logged

True Blue...
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #72 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 8:52pm

cods..

did you get the new combustion fire place?

Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print