Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
wood fire burning heaters.. (Read 8030 times)
True Blue...
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: wood fire burning heaters..
Reply #45 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 5:49pm

John Smith wrote on Jul 7th, 2014 at 5:44pm:
cods wrote on Jul 7th, 2014 at 6:34am:
miketrees wrote on Jul 6th, 2014 at 8:00pm:
Cods it its only a small place, I would not go for the wood option.

thank for all the input I am more confused than ever......the trouble is its a govy house...which does have electric heaters but the bills come in at $800...no gas connection...open fireplace and he has a mate who has land and hes allowed to collect the wood... I know but what else can he do?, but the open fire burns the wood at a terrific rate  and most heat goes up the chimney...reminds me of England... the winter time here is pretty short when you think of the northern hemisphere....I was hoping I could maybe meet them half way on the cost...I personally love a fire the red glow alone does it for me...BUT there are many BUTS are there not?..I would just want something cheap cheerful and works..LOL..

dont we all?

I remember hot  front freezing back...lol...I also remember toast made on the open fire. delish

he can always put his own gas connection (use a licensed gas fitter) and use gas bottles (I think they are 50Kg bottles) , it doesn't have to be connected to the gas mains.

My mum uses those and two bottles a year is suffice. Although the Gong isn't anywhere near as cold as Canberra so you can expect to use an extra bottle or two

we used to have bottled gas in our house as kids.. we'd go through two bottles a month...

and since then.. bottled gas is like 10 times the price...

they already have wood and access to it so just go wood... but go more efficient like cods says..

they also belt out 10 times the heat as an open fire..

we rented a house when I first got married waiting for the new house to be built...

it only had an open fire and we were fricken freezing for those three months...  Angry

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"

Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #46 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 5:50pm

Aussie wrote on Jul 7th, 2014 at 5:42pm:
Lord Herbert wrote on Jul 7th, 2014 at 7:41am:

Does that emit smellable smoke?

No smoke, but it did smell a nice kerosene odour that saved me $$$ on sniffing Tarzan's Grip.

That was around 1972.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #47 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 5:51pm

Aussie wrote on Jul 7th, 2014 at 5:48pm:
.....and Walter.....where'd you find that thing?

In a field with cow pats.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #48 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 5:53pm

True Blue... wrote on Jul 7th, 2014 at 5:49pm:
we rented a house when I first got married waiting for the new house to be built...

it only had an open fire and we were fricken freezing for those three months...  Angry

Huh? Why'd you want to get out of bed?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 5:53pm

thank for all the input I am more confused than ever......the trouble is its a govy house...which does have electric heaters but the bills come in at $800...no gas connection...open fireplace and he has a mate who has land and hes allowed to collect the wood... I know but what else can he do?, but the open fire burns the wood at a terrific rate  and most heat goes up the chimney...reminds me of England... the winter time here is pretty short when you think of the northern hemisphere....I was hoping I could maybe meet them half way on the cost...I personally love a fire the red glow alone does it for me...BUT there are many BUTS are there not?..I would just want something cheap cheerful and works..LOL..

dont we all?

I remember hot  front freezing back...lol...I also remember toast made on the open fire. delish

he can always put his own gas connection (use a licensed gas fitter) and use gas bottles (I think they are 50Kg bottles) , it doesn't have to be connected to the gas mains.

My mum uses those and two bottles a year is suffice. Although the Gong isn't anywhere near as cold as Canberra so you can expect to use an extra bottle or two

we used to have bottled gas in our house as kids.. we'd go through two bottles a month...

they already have wood and access to it so just go wood... but go more efficient like cods says..

2 bottles a month? were you using it for cooking and hot water too?

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

True Blue...
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #50 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 6:02pm

John Smith wrote on Jul 7th, 2014 at 5:53pm:

dont we all?

2 bottles a month? were you using it for cooking and hot water too?

cooking as well... the hot water was electric

dad would always have the gas heater turned down as low as it would go and only heating one room...

also only turned it on when things were really cold...

this is Australia ff s... heating fuel should be so cheap we should have our heaters on non stop...

WE HAVE ALL OF THE RESOURCES..

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"

Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #51 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 6:53pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Jul 7th, 2014 at 5:51pm:
Aussie wrote on Jul 7th, 2014 at 5:48pm:
.....and Walter.....where'd you find that thing?

In a field with cow pats.

Really?  Did it have a name?

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 9:15pm

I would go a small reverse cycle aircon, you get cool and heat.

i have not worked out how to get the wood burner on cool cycle yet.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #53 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 9:21pm

miketrees wrote on Jul 7th, 2014 at 9:15pm:

easy, leave the logs outside and open the door. Grin Grin Grin

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

austranger
Gold Member

Opinionated Sod

adelaide
Reply #54 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 9:30pm

miketrees wrote on Jul 7th, 2014 at 9:15pm:

RC air-con is just about the most expensive form of heating around.
Cooling
Ever heard of fans? Spinning things, push air around?
Here's a picture of one, I'm surprised you haven't seen them, they've only been around for about a century.

Any day with a smile in it is a good day

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #55 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 11:08pm

cods wrote on Jul 5th, 2014 at 7:08pm:
does anyone have any tips on buying one...I am thinking of buying one for my son and his family..they have the wood open fire but the heat all goes up the chimney.. they need something that would burn slow and maybe all night ...they live in an older govy house with high ceilings...

Okay, here is what I have learnt from something like 30 years of having a wood burning heater.

Our last place, had an open fireplace, and yep, all the heat went up the chimney, then we found where the Coonara factory was, and measured up so that the sides were extended for a insertable fireplace wood burner. And the best thing about this type of fireplace insert, is you don't have to worry about the extra $ for flue installation. Needs no flue.

And this truly did mark the event for us, it did a fantastic job.

We live in another abode now, (next township, only 5 mins up the road)...and bought a different brand 'free standing' wood heater, with big flue and all.

Well, one thing we found, compared to our other wood heater, this one didn't have an 'ash door with a removable ash draw'.....to clean out the build up of ash.

And the reason that is a problem....because, we have to wait until the fireplace is dead cold before we can clean it out, and have to have other heating on instead of this.

Whereas with the Coonara with the removable ash draw/tray, you can remove the ash whilst the fire is still roaring.

So that's one thing I learnt.

And the next thing, wood ain't wood.

If you are in a woody area with trees naturally dying and falling (where we live on acreage that is what happens)....you need a good strong back, a chain saw, a trailer on tractor to cart it off the property to somewhere where you can store the wood (unless it's been dead and standing for a while)....if the wood is green, you need at least a year before you can burn it.
So then, you do need a good axe to split the wood (we bought a wood splitter that picks up the logs and splits it).
Otherwise, you have to use an axe to split the wood.

Then have somewhere dry to store it.

Of course, if you buy it, around our area, it goes for something like $80 to $100 per cubic metre.

Then there is redgum, and a trifle more expensive, probably about $130-140 square cubic metre.

We have a Rinnai LPG heater as a back up, but LPG is not cheap, so it's only an occasional.

One thing I wish, that this free standing heater had a hotplate on top, to put on the kettle or soup or stew etc.

Re: the slow combustion heaters, they truly are a gem, our friends in the old farm house still have one, and it keeps the place warm, as well as cooking on it, and heats their water up also.

I remember in our last place, the neighbour was a fencing contractor, and he occasionally gave us the old red gum posts that was demolished when the new fence would be put up....gosh, that was the best wood ever!
Some were something like 100 years old...in fact, I sneakly saved some of them, in a big plastic bag, in the back office room because I reckon it's too nice to burn.

Also, we had friends of friends, that have a furniture factory, where they have heaps of wood dust, that they compress together, and make eco logs, but could not rid of it as it was excessive, and a few of us in the area went to pick it all up, and those eco logs, are fantastic...burn clean.

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #56 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 11:12pm

IP Logged

austranger
Gold Member

Opinionated Sod

adelaide
Reply #57 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 11:16pm

Hey LL, here's a tip re' cleaning out ash that may assist you.
What I always did with my wood stove was allow it to burn down to coals, then use a poker to push those to one side, scrape out the ash from the other side, use the poker to roll the coals back across to the cleaned side and remove the rest of the ash, coals back to the centre, add wood, and away she goes again. This removes the need for other heating entirely, and you get only a little warm while doing it as it doesn't take very long.
Hope that helps.  Wink

Any day with a smile in it is a good day

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #58 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 11:55pm

True Blue... wrote on Jul 7th, 2014 at 5:32pm:
ian wrote on Jul 5th, 2014 at 9:29pm:
combustion heaters will shortly be banned for very good reason, dont waste your money.

fair dinkum, you talk more poo than a dung beetle...  Angry
and you eat more Cheesy

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #59 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 11:56pm

Quote:
Hey LL, here's a tip re' cleaning out ash that may assist you.
What I always did with my wood stove was allow it to burn down to coals, then use a poker to push those to one side, scrape out the ash from the other side, use the poker to roll the coals back across to the cleaned side and remove the rest of the ash, coals back to the centre, add wood, and away she goes again. This removes the need for other heating entirely, and you get only a little warm while doing it as it doesn't take very long.
Hope that helps.

Oh yes, we have done it whilst some red coals still in there, and we use a steel tin to put in the hot ash to take outside to cool off...but compared to the way the coonara was built, it was a hellova lot better.

Also, have you noticed, when you go to shovel out the ash, it makes a lot of airborn ash dust...so, we have the vacuum suction going to clear that...but to be careful not to suck up any hot ash.....

I still prefer that anyone buying a wood heater, to get the easier way of cleaning, with the removable tray.

Oh, and another thing with the comparisons.....this upmarket version, when you want to put in more wood, have to open the vent, jar the door, and wait for the smoke to settle, but with the wood heaters with draws at the bottom of the fire grid, all you have to do is open that, and the smoke goes upwards, and voila, put your wood in without too much smoke filling the room.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print