Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
wood fire burning heaters.. (Read 7997 times)
Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Re: wood fire burning heaters..
Reply #15 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 8:18am

austranger wrote on Jul 5th, 2014 at 9:27pm:
All those problems are solved by use of a combustion heater, they are contained and easily cleaned, efficient burners of fuel and great for heating. Toxic gasses are vented safely, and as long as you choose to use natural woods or coal/coke products you won't bother anyone.

Grin Grin Grin

... as long as ... if if if ....

What a load of pre-conditions, 'buts' and 'ifs' to ensure you're not going to force your neighbours to choke on your heating effluent.

The law states that you can use your old inefficient pot-bellied wood-fire heater for as long as it is still usable in your lounge-room, but when and if you buy a new one you then must buy one of the modern double-combusting ones that re-burns the particulates in the flue.

And so ... we who live in the Sydney suburbs will have to wait at least a couple of generations before these old crocks finally go past their Use By date.

Meeeeanwhile we'll just have to keep sucking in the neighbour's carcinogenic toxic fumes ... and there's not a damn thing the law can do about it.

At least it's not as bad as my Italian neighbour's backyard burning bin where before she left for other parts used to burn her granddaughter's disposable nappies and the family's sanitary towels ... with the smell being so disgusting that it could euthanase birds flying over her property.

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 8:41am

A slow combustion heater is very efficient and does a wonderful job of heating your home. Properly managed, they produce negligible smoke and effluent.

I spent some time in a small house on rural acreage that had such a heater.  With the temp outside about 10 degrees, interior temp could get as high as 24 throughout the house. Nice. And it was on acreage so the fuel supply was no problem.

Second-hand jobs can be sourced from about $400 and up. 20kg of Australian hardwood, already split, can be bought from Bunnings for $12.

A quick Google on bans only found some restrictions in newer suburbs in Canberra with no apparent intention to make such bans retroactive. If you live in a large metro area, local council will supply you with advice.

If you already have gas connected, gas heaters also do a good job.

Small electric heaters can add as much as $300 - $400 to your quarterly bill, so any alternative could be priced with this figure in mind.

Hope this helps.

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #17 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 1:16pm

If you can afford it get a Jotul. Norwegian I think they are. They may be the most expensive but they are cast iron and last for ever. You can get them at BBQ Galore these days.

I'm just about to go and chop some wood, so up yours Greens!

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #18 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 1:23pm

Lionel Edriess wrote on Jul 6th, 2014 at 8:41am:
A slow combustion heater is very efficient and does a wonderful job of heating your home. Properly managed, they produce negligible smoke and effluent.

I spent some time in a small house on rural acreage that had such a heater.  With the temp outside about 10 degrees, interior temp could get as high as 24 throughout the house. Nice. And it was on acreage so the fuel supply was no problem.

Second-hand jobs can be sourced from about $400 and up. 20kg of Australian hardwood, already split, can be bought from Bunnings for $12.

There are sacks of these at my local Bunnings, and the cost of using these to heat your lounge-room all day long during the winter months would be triple the amount you'd spend on electricity or gas.

Nobody is going to splash out $12 for these small sacks of wood all winter long. If you live in the city area you'll soon be in your car looking to scrounge old fence palings etc that are all chemically treated against decay and weather-damage.

In the UK we used ...

newspaper overlaid with ... sticks ... which were overlaid with a few pieces of Anthracite ... then a bed of coal ... and on top of it all a bed of coke.

Smiley

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #19 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 1:37pm

bogarde73 wrote on Jul 6th, 2014 at 1:16pm:
If you can afford it get a Jotul. Norwegian I think they are. They may be the most expensive but they are cast iron and last for ever. You can get them at BBQ Galore these days.

Long-lasting shouldn't be the priority. Efficient burners that burn off the floating particulates from the initial burning is the best there is.

In the UK the smell of wood fires was beautiful, but you didn't see your neighbours coming home with box-trailers full of scrounged timbers that were saturated in grease, paint, copper sulphate, and christ-knows-what-else.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #20 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 3:45pm

I agree that they are no longer suitable for suburban/city areas. But they are definitely a logical choice in country towns or areas of farming or small holdings, where supplies of good burning firewood are available.
Where I am the best burning wood to get, if you have access to it is ironbark, redgum & yellow box. I also source a fair bit from my own property but that is mainly stringy bark.
Nothing heats like a slow combustion stove.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 3:55pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Jul 6th, 2014 at 1:37pm:

Long-lasting shouldn't be the priority. Efficient burners that burn off the floating particulates from the initial burning is the best there is.

In the UK the smell of wood fires was beautiful, but you didn't see your neighbours coming home with box-trailers full of scrounged timbers that were saturated in grease, paint, copper sulphate, and christ-knows-what-else.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e150/ruffdiamond/ruffdiamond074/treat_zpsaa7d7...

herb dob them in....that is as far as I know illegal..they are not even allowed to burn that at the dumps.... tell the powers that be you have asthma and will die if they dont do something.

they will send a heating hitler round..it sounds revolting.....we lived next door to Indians in London and they must have lived on cabbage... and they were always burning it...OMG..

IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Reply #22 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 4:21pm

cods wrote on Jul 6th, 2014 at 3:55pm:
Lord Herbert wrote on Jul 6th, 2014 at 1:37pm:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e150/ruffdiamond/ruffdiamond074/treat_zpsaa7d7...

herb dob them in....that is as far as I know illegal..they are not even allowed to burn that at the dumps.... tell the powers that be you have asthma and will die if they dont do something.

they will send a heating hitler round..it sounds revolting.....we lived next door to Indians in London and they must have lived on cabbage... and they were always burning it...OMG..

wood has got to the point now where it is dearer than LPG.  If natural gas is not available in the area, an LPG heater would do the job.    I have a LPG "wood log" heater in my lounge room and it does a fantastic job.    Leaving it on most of the day cost me around 100 pm in gas, but far cheaper than a wood fire.     You may even be able to pick up a second hand one.

I would not suggest putting in a wood fire though.  Even a basic one would cost over a thousand - then there is all the nausea with the wood!   In Tassie now, you cannot put in a wood fire in some areas - unless there is no alternative for heating.

I loved my Coonara, but it just got too expensive to run.  LPG did the trick and was cheaper.   If they go gas though, make sure there is a container of water near the fire that can evaporate.  Gas heating can cause issues with young kids and their breathing

Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies
Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies

IP Logged

austranger
Gold Member

Opinionated Sod

adelaide
Reply #23 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 5:08pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Jul 6th, 2014 at 8:18am:
austranger wrote on Jul 5th, 2014 at 9:27pm:
All those problems are solved by use of a combustion heater, they are contained and easily cleaned, efficient burners of fuel and great for heating. Toxic gasses are vented safely, and as long as you choose to use natural woods or coal/coke products you won't bother anyone.

Grin Grin Grin

... as long as ... if if if ....

What a load of pre-conditions, 'buts' and 'ifs' to ensure you're not going to force your neighbours to choke on your heating effluent.

The law states that you can use your old inefficient pot-bellied wood-fire heater for as long as it is still usable in your lounge-room, but when and if you buy a new one you then must buy one of the modern double-combusting ones that re-burns the particulates in the flue.

And so ... we who live in the Sydney suburbs will have to wait at least a couple of generations before these old crocks finally go past their Use By date.

Meeeeanwhile we'll just have to keep sucking in the neighbour's carcinogenic toxic fumes ... and there's not a damn thing the law can do about it.

At least it's not as bad as my Italian neighbour's backyard burning bin where before she left for other parts used to burn her granddaughter's disposable nappies and the family's sanitary towels ... with the smell being so disgusting that it could euthanase birds flying over her property.

I was under the impression we were discussing the purchase of a new one, so we're both right, in a sense.
Buying wood for a fire is cost-effective for heating, as long as you approach it the same way as any other household purchase. You don't do your regular shopping at deli's and service-stations do you?
There are proper places to buy good firewood and with a little looking around anyone can sort out which is cheaper and/or carries an appropriate supply. I found that it worked out cheaper going into the rural area to buy too, even with the costs of transport included, better wood for lower prices.
If you buy in sufficient quantities most places will deliver too. Chopping up your own wood is also d*mn good exercise, a health plus.
Another tactic that worked for me as an occasional thing, get to know any local tree removalists, they often have wood they're willing to sell cheap, if you have the space to store it as it dries that is, unless it's already well dead and suitable for immediate use, that can and does happen too.
I was lucky with my wood stove, it was a true monster that was installed in the original build and had been set up as the heat source for the whole house from the beginning.
When the house was demolished they had to tear down walls and bring in a crane to remove it! It was shipped to Sydney for auction, I'd love to know what it sold for, people in the supply side suggested it would be several thousand at least! The antique enamel-tin tiling around it was sold at nearly a $thou per square metre, it's a rare antique now! That house also had three beautiful Art-Noveau fireplaces which were sent to auction, in England!  Shocked

Any day with a smile in it is a good day

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #24 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 5:28pm

herb dob them in....

You can't be serious. If I was living on the North Shore with tertiary educated neighbours who'd grown up with Middle Class social values, I'd chance my luck with asking them to mend their ways, but not here where I live amongst the dross and the delinquent ferals of Boganville.

Make a complaint here and you're likely to be beaten up and terrorised in a hundred different ways before you finally sell up and move.

Complaining only works when you're dealing with at least half-decent people.

Who are the ones that neighbours have an issue with? 9 times out of 10 it's with violent sociopaths who used to get suspended and expelled from school as a routine event. And then they grow up and become our neighbours ... vicious, undisciplined, psychotic ferals.

IP Logged

austranger
Gold Member

Opinionated Sod

adelaide
Reply #25 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 6:14pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Jul 6th, 2014 at 5:28pm:
herb dob them in....

You can't be serious. If I was living on the North Shore with tertiary educated neighbours who'd grown up with Middle Class social values, I'd chance my luck with asking them to mend their ways, but not here where I live amongst the dross and the delinquent ferals of Boganville.

Make a complaint here and you're likely to be beaten up and terrorised in a hundred different ways before you finally sell up and move.

Who are the ones that neighbours have an issue with? 9 times out of 10 it's with violent sociopaths who used to get suspended and expelled from school as a routine event. And then they grow up and become our neighbours ... vicious, undisciplined, psychotic ferals.

So true, unfortunately, and that sort of problem is getting more widespread every year, courtesy of modern parenting and a ludicrously inadequate education system.

Any day with a smile in it is a good day

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 6:28pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Jul 6th, 2014 at 5:28pm:
herb dob them in....

unlucky you ....seems bad that they are allowed to poison people though dont you think??...short of making a huge windmill and blowing the smoke back to their side..... its like those poor people that live next door to those women who collect peoples garbage and fill the house and yard to the brim...why is it they never get sick or bitten by rats.. I will never know

IP Logged

Doctor Jolly
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 7:15pm

Bike licenses, banning wood heaters....  is there nothing these red tape crazies dont want regulated?

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #28 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 7:28pm

cods wrote on Jul 5th, 2014 at 7:08pm:
does anyone have any tips on buying one...I am thinking of buying one for my son and his family..they have the wood open fire but the heat all goes up the chimney.. they need something that would burn slow and maybe all night ...they live in an older govy house with high ceilings...

We have THIS one

Small Bushranger MK3

The Bushranger allows you to enjoy the superior warmth and comfort of solid fuel heating.

Rustic in appearance, this efficient and environmentally friendly heater has been designed to generate convected and radiant heat. This ensures maximum heating capacity whilst maintaining low clearances, emissions and overnight burning.

The large firebox is partially surrounded by an insulating shroud. This creates a hot air chamber allowing for natural convection, without the need for fan forced heat, ensuring the most efficient use of firewood.

The single air control system makes operating your heater simple and the large self cleaning front glass door provides easy reloading. A three-speed fan can be fitted to both models if desired

http://www.woodheaters.com.au/Small-Bushranger.php

... which heats the house all night - week after week

http://weather.eganstown.net.au/index.htm

It's a BLOODY RIPPER !

My house is a compact ( ... or small) 80 square metres

There are also LARGER models and styles on the web site

http://www.woodheaters.com.au/index.php

* ... ours was ALSO a ( ... housewarming) gift, from my mum ( ... and dad)

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #29 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 7:29pm

Vic wrote on Jul 6th, 2014 at 4:21pm:
wood has got to the point now where it is dearer than LPG.

Correct!

I actually laughed out loud when I saw these piles of small bags with woodfire timber going for $12 each at Bunnings. That's fine for the moneyed elite on the North Shore, but in most of Sydney you couldn't find anyone so insane as to pay that price while at no cost rotting and derelict fences and railway sleepers are only a short distance away in any direction.

Vic wrote on Jul 6th, 2014 at 4:21pm:
If natural gas is not available in the area, an LPG heater would do the job.    I have a LPG "wood log" heater in my lounge room and it does a fantastic job.    Leaving it on most of the day cost me around 100 pm in gas, but far cheaper than a wood fire.

For myself, I like heat in winter ~ lots of it ... and not just centred around a small little pot-bellied stove with a mica-windowed gate for filling and stoking. I run a 2.75hp split-system wall heater almost all day long ... because that's why they invented electricity.

Looks good, Buzz!.

When my aunt was growing up in Russia she and the whole family slept in a wide bed that was on top of the cooking-plus-heating stove made of brick.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print