Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Anyone here use Windows Backup ? (Read 3457 times)
Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Re: Anyone here use Windows Backup ?
Reply #30 - Nov 26th, 2013 at 3:36pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Nov 26th, 2013 at 7:05am:
Thanks Kat ~ but it's not free.

It's typical. They lead you down the path to thinking it's all free, and then when everything is installed, they whack you with the nasty surprise that a vital component isn't free.

My Quest continues .....

I thought you wanted to create a Boot Disk? You only need one of them ... for an Emergency.  Wink

I created a boot disk on my laptop (Win 7) by just inserting a blank DVD and clicking "create boot disk" .... think that option just comes up, but can't be sure.

Creating a boot disk for this Desktop with Win 8.1 hasn't been investigated yet. May involve a USB drive, rather than a DVD.  Wink

Oh, and no, Win 8.1 is not that much different to any of the other versions of Windows that I have had ... just takes a few days or so to get used to where they have hidden the stuff you used to automatically click. Keep mind busy ... use it or lose it, comes to mind so maybe Microsoft is doing people a favour?  Grin

If you have had computer crashes in the past, there must be a reason for that.  Whether it is sites you visit or, perhaps, the keyboard/mouse operator. Kiss

Have you downloaded the various FREE programs that keep an eye on malware that one can get without visiting so-called malicious sites? Malware is more dangerous than virus' used to be.

Some FREE malware programs that I have used are:-

Spybot
Ad-Aware
Malwarebytes

I run all of those (together) without a problem, some pick up stuff that others don't.

I presume you have CCleaner and a good anti-virus (I have used AVG FREE for 10 years or so).

The other thing I paid for recently, after using the free version for years, is Registry First Aid. It cost me about $60 for a "family license" ... about $25 if you only have one computer. Gets rid of the rubbish that uninstalling programs and so forth leave behind.

PS.  Did you sort out the full backup thing?
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2013 at 3:42pm by Neferti »  

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #31 - Nov 26th, 2013 at 6:20pm

Neferti wrote on Nov 26th, 2013 at 3:36pm:
I thought you wanted to create a Boot Disk?

EaseUS Todo Backup calls it an 'Emergency Disc'. I've never yet had a Bootable CD disk actually work.

If you have had computer crashes in the past, there must be a reason for that.  Whether it is sites you visit or, perhaps, the keyboard/mouse operator. Kiss

torrential downpour. Say no more. wink wink.

Some FREE malware programs that I have used are:-

Spybot
Ad-Aware
Malwarebytes

In the past I've used them all, and a lot more besides. My PC repair manager advised me not to use any of them any more.

I presume you have CCleaner and a good anti-virus (I have used AVG FREE for 10 years or so).

I have CCleaner, AVG Free always became ineffective after a few weeks or so.

The other thing I paid for recently, after using the free version for years, is Registry First Aid. It cost me about $60 for a "family license" ... about $25 if you only have one computer. Gets rid of the rubbish that uninstalling programs and so forth leave behind.

'Revo Uninstall' does the same thing ~ for free.

PS.  Did you sort out the full backup thing?

Yes and no. I've got everything backed up now, but I don't know if it'll all restore again. If the PC dies on me and won't boot-up, then it will only be a few files that I've saved to the external hard drive that I'll benefit from retrieving.

I bought the EaseUS Todo Emergency Disk today. It comes in a box in the post. You would think they would just download it to my system. Go figure.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #32 - Nov 28th, 2013 at 12:28pm

You'll notice that just for the hell of it my EaseUS Todo Backup has spontaneously collapsed without any input from me.

My quest continues ....

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #33 - Nov 28th, 2013 at 3:27pm

Herbert,

Try to explain, exactly, what you want to do, please.

1. Do you want to have a separate disk (CD/DVD/USB drive) to insert if your computer won't start properly?

2. Do you want to save certain files (say Genealogy research, pictures, music, etc) so that if your computer crashes you don't lose that vital information?

3. Do you want to "backup" the entire contents of the computer/s (including the Operating System - OS) so that you can just hit a key and everything magically reappears?

4. Do you want to do a full "backup" (as above in 3) and then just select which files you want to recover if the computer/s stop working?

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #34 - Nov 28th, 2013 at 6:29pm

Neferti wrote on Nov 28th, 2013 at 3:27pm:
Herbert,

Try to explain, exactly, what you want to do, please.

1. Do you want to have a separate disk (CD/DVD/USB drive) to insert if your computer won't start properly?

Yes. But in the past these have never booted up the PC.

I have now made two media discs ... one containing EaseUS 'WinPE Emergency Disc ... and the other containing 'EaseUS System Repair Disc'.

2. Do you want to save certain files (say Genealogy research, pictures, music, etc) so that if your computer crashes you don't lose that vital information?

My ancestry files which are now huge and complicated is something I always burn to a multi-session ('Deepburner') disc the moment I make a new entry.

3. Do you want to "backup" the entire contents of the computer/s (including the Operating System - OS) so that you can just hit a key and everything magically reappears?

Yes ~ I've now done that (to an external hard drive).

Disk/Partition Backup ... System Backup ... File Backup ... Directories Backup.

4. Do you want to do a full "backup" (as above in 3) and then just select which files you want to recover if the computer/s stop working?

I've got it all done, but I'm wondering why the Backup icon has stopped showing.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print