Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
another ban on snapper fishing (Read 15302 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
another ban on snapper fishing
Jun 4th, 2011 at 11:14am

PJ is this another demonstration of the 'success' of traditional management tools? How restricted would you accept it before you supported an alternative like marine parks? Maybe when you can fish for snapper one day out of the year?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/03/09/3159137.htm

A moratorium on snapper fishing will remain until the end of the month after the Queensland Opposition failed to overturn it in Parliament last night.

And in SA also:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1193376634

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Re: another ban on snapper fishing
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2011 at 2:35pm

Snapper is such a great fish all-round.
Makes for great eating (all-round). Looks good in underwater photos. Has a pleasant nature of approaching divers although can keep its distance.

I'm amazed that such a species is becoming a 'scarce' species.
I always thought that if Snapper would be restricted, then something really has to be done!

I really don't think Fishing should become a 'Recreation' anymore. Fish should not die for 'the fun of it'. I believe SpearFishing is a responsible method, though not for silly things like 'Sport' and trophies that come with it Roll Eyes I also don't think the 'quotas' for Recreational Fishing are justified, they just allow 'under-the-table' selling to restaurants - which is quite more common than you think.

I endorse Commercial Fishing but I believe that they need to harness their so-called technology to minimalising wasteful by-catch.
We also need to implement 'Catch to Order', to prevent large amounts of canned/packaged Fish going to waste upon SuperMarket shelves passed the Use By Date. I think only 30% of caught Commercial Fish get consumed. Another 30% go to waste upon shelves and the other 30% of the Catch is by-catch ...the last 10% is variable.

I would also like to see International Waters placed into the hands of 'Land-Locked' nations - thus preventing the ruination of those waters to some degree by restriction. It also gives Land-Locked nations a slice of the cake. I'm sure not all will act responsible, but it stops the "free-for-all" that many fleets exploit.

I can't believe Snapper is threatened. For an Ocean loving people like us Australians - this is just shear embarressing! Embarrassed

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2011 at 6:43pm

freediver wrote on Jun 4th, 2011 at 11:14am:
PJ is this another demonstration of the 'success' of traditional management tools? How restricted would you accept it before you supported an alternative like marine parks? Maybe when you can fish for snapper one day out of the year?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/03/09/3159137.htm

A moratorium on snapper fishing will remain until the end of the month after the Queensland Opposition failed to overturn it in Parliament last night.

And in SA also:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1193376634

You haven't really thought this out have you FD? Don't you know that there are marine parks in these regions. And what about the fact that there is a closed season on reef fish on the GBR right next to extensive green zones! Your magical thinking on marine parks would have us believe there would be so much spill over effect that traditional methods should be relaxed.

In addition, why is any non marine park management inititive somehow a sign of failure? In this case the closed seasons are probably a bit over the top, but not that hard for anglers to put up with compared to a marine park. Unlike the latter you can still fish in these areas for snapper for most of the year, or fish for something else or catch and release in the closed season.
« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2011 at 6:08pm by pjb05 »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2011 at 11:07pm

Quote:
You haven't really thought this out haven't you FD. Don't you know that there are marine parks in these regions. And what about the fact that there is a closed season on reef fish on the GBR

The GBR is about the northern limit of their range.

Quote:
In addition, why is any non marine park management inititive somehow a sign of failure?

I never claimed it was, but this is a pretty extreme length to go to.

Quote:
In this case the closed seasons are probably a bit over the top

How far over the top would it have to go before you supported an alternative like marine parks?

Quote:
but not that hard for anglers to put up with compared to a marine park

A no take zone would be far more palatable, especially if it is reasonably sized.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 6:50am

quote]You haven't really thought this out haven't you FD. Don't you know that there are marine parks in these regions. And what about the fact that there is a closed season on reef fish on the GBR [/quote]

The GBR is about the northern limit of their range.

Duh, I was talking about coral reef fish and closed seasons right next to large green zones!

Quote:
In addition, why is any non marine park management inititive somehow a sign of failure?

I never claimed it was, but this is a pretty extreme length to go to.

You insinuated it was. And a month or two closed season on one species is not extreme as a marine park no take zone.

Quote:

How far over the top would it have to go before you supported an alternative like marine parks?

Your just advocating replacing one slightly over the top measure with an extremely over the top one. And you ignoring the point these closed seasons are often happening alongside marine parks. How can you then claim it's an either or case?  

Quote:
but not that hard for anglers to put up with compared to a marine park

A no take zone would be far more palatable, especially if it is reasonably sized.

How do you work that out? PS, why if NTZ's are so effective, are we getting closed seasons right next to large NTZ's?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 10:48am

Quote:
You insinuated it was.

Apparently, you areed with me. So why are we still arguing about it?

Quote:
Your just advocating replacing one slightly over the top measure with an extremely over the top one.

It is a question PJ.

Quote:
why if NTZ's are so effective, are we getting closed seasons right next to large NTZ's?

You will have to give me a specific example. That doesn't sound like a question with a general answer.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 12:45pm

[] Quote:
You insinuated it was.

Apparently, you areed with me. So why are we still arguing about it?

Where did you get that idea? I wanted you to elaborate on your dubious insinuation.

Quote:
Your just advocating replacing one slightly over the top measure with an extremely over the top one.

It is a question PJ.

Your creating a false paradigm. If I think the snapper closed seasons may not be waranted why on earth would I support even more severe restrictions in the form of marine parks? On top of that your own example shows that there are snapper closed seasons alongside marine parks.  

Quote:
why if NTZ's are so effective, are we getting closed seasons right next to large NTZ's?

You will have to give me a specific example. That doesn't sound like a question with a general answer.

I have - how can you be so obtuse? I think your answer is your propostion of ever increasing closed seasons verses marine parks is patently a false one given that closed seasons are in effect right alonside marine parks.
« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2011 at 6:11pm by pjb05 »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 1:41pm

Quote:
Where did you get that idea?

You posted this:

Quote:

Quote:
Your creating a false paradigm.

No. I am asking a simple question. One you seem strangely incapable of answering.

Quote:
If I think the snapper closed seasons may not be waranted

Is that what you actually think?

Quote:
On top of that your own example shows that there are snapper closed seasons alongside marine parks. 

What example?

IP Logged

Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 1:57pm

The war on fish. We won, Whoddathunkit?  Grin

Marine parks work for some species, but not all. Really the only ethical thing left is to eat farmed fish only

"It is in the shelter of each other that the people live" - Irish Proverb

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #9 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 3:07pm

[] Quote:
Where did you get that idea?

You posted this:

Quote:

Quote:
Your creating a false paradigm.

No. I am asking a simple question. One you seem strangely incapable of answering.

It's not a simple question it is a false paradigm you dreamed up. It is disconnected from reality. If I think the closed seasons are over the top then why would I countenence more restrictions?

Quote:
If I think the snapper closed seasons may not be waranted

Is that what you actually think?

No I just go to the trouble of posting opinions I don't believe (duh). PS the closed seasons in Qld have been controversial.

Quote:
On top of that your own example shows that there are snapper closed seasons alongside marine parks.  

What example?

Snapper in SE Qld (plus the reef fish closure on the GBR I mentioned).

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #10 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 3:10pm

Grey wrote on Jun 5th, 2011 at 1:57pm:
The war on fish. We won, Whoddathunkit?  Grin

Marine parks work for some species, but not all. Really the only ethical thing left is to eat farmed fish only

Fish farming has it's own environmental impact. So does importing fish from waters more heavily fished than our own. I don't think it's ethical to shut down sustainable fisheries.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #11 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 6:32pm

Quote:
It's not a simple question it is a false paradigm you dreamed up.

No PJ. It is a very simple question. Have you never come across the concept of a hypothetical before?

Quote:
If I think the closed seasons are over the top

Do you?

Quote:
then why would I countenence more restrictions?

Alternative restrictions - ones that are inherently more stable and less prone to the need for over the top interventions.

Quote:
No I just go to the trouble of posting opinions I don't believe (duh).

You keep introducing your opinions with "If I think", obviously this calls into question whether you do actually think.

Quote:

How is this a relevant example? What percentage of the south east snapper grounds are protected in no take zones? It would be less than 0.1%.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 6:56pm

[07262736] Quote:
It's not a simple question it is a false paradigm you dreamed up.

No PJ. It is a very simple question. Have you never come across the concept of a hypothetical before?

If the restrictions (closed seasons) possibly aren't needed (ie over the top) then why would I countenence another far more proscriptive form (marine parks). It's a false paradigm.  

Quote:
If I think the closed seasons are over the top

Do you?

I already answered that.

Quote:
then why would I countenence more restrictions?

Alternative restrictions - ones that are inherently more stable and less prone to the need for over the top interventions.

There (marine parks) more over the top. Your going straight for the sledgehammer to crack a walnut.

Quote:
No I just go to the trouble of posting opinions I don't believe (duh).

You keep introducing your opinions with "If I think", obviously this calls into question whether you do actually think.

Unlike you I don't claim absolute certainty on absolutely everything. Lets just say there is doubt as to whether the closed seasons are neccessary.  

Quote:

How is this a relevant example? What percentage of the south east snapper grounds are protected in no take zones? It would be less than 0.1%.

How did you arrive at that figure? So how much of SE Qld do you think should be NTZ? How is that less burdensome than a closed season on snapper?

What about the GBR? You can't deny that the NTZ's are very exstensive there. Don't you think you have some explaining to do as to why there are closed seasons for reef fish right along side them?    

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #13 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 7:28pm

Quote:
I already answered that.

No, all you do is suggest what might happen if you had a thought.

Quote:
Unlike you I don't claim absolute certainty on absolutely everything.

You don't even claim to think anything. From your posts it seems thinking is a hypothetical situation for you, yet you have the most trouble with hypothetical questions.

Quote:
How did you arrive at that figure?

I used a very wide margin of error.

Quote:
So how much of SE Qld do you think should be NTZ?

About 20% in a netowrk of small NTZs.

Quote:
How is that less burdensome than a closed season on snapper?

For starters, you can still catch snapper. If you can find your way out of a paper bag, you can find your way out of a no take zone.

Quote:
What about the GBR? You can't deny that the NTZ's are very exstensive there. Don't you think you have some explaining to do as to why there are closed seasons for reef fish right along side them? 

Again, you would have to give an actual example. The GBR is the northern limit of the snapper fishery.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 7:41pm

[] Quote:
I already answered that.

No, all you do is suggest what might happen if you had a thought.

It's a figure of speech.

Quote:
Unlike you I don't claim absolute certainty on absolutely everything.

You don't even claim to think anything. From your posts it seems thinking is a hypothetical situation for you, yet you have the most trouble with hypothetical questions.

Are you really that thick? I am saying whether the closed seasons are needed is a matter of doubt.

I am saying that the restricts aren't needed to go further.

Quote:
How did you arrive at that figure?

I used a very wide margin of error.

Made it up then.

Quote:
So how much of SE Qld do you think should be NTZ?

About 20% in a netowrk of small NTZs.

Quote:
How is that less burdensome than a closed season on snapper?

For starters, you can still catch snapper. If you can find your way out of a paper bag, you can find your way out of a no take zone.

So you you need a GPS chartplotter with the right map insert to find your way out of a paper bag?

PS how is it cost effective to lock up 20% of all waters in the region just to manage one species that is not all that overfished? How do we know that there won't be closed seasons as well as extensive NTZ's as is the case on the GBR?

Quote:

Again, you would have to give an actual example. The GBR is the northern limit of the snapper fishery.

That is the example! Also I told you before that the closed season is not for snapper but coral reef species.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #15 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 8:06pm

Quote:
Made it up then.

Are you suggesting it might be more than 0.1% Think about it before you answer. Or are you going to demand I prove something you don;t even disagree with?

Quote:
PS how is it cost effective to lock up 20% of all waters in the region just to manage one species that is not all that overfished?

By 'not all that overfished', do you mean snapper? If so, are you suggesting it could get a lot worse?

Quote:
How do we know that there won't be closed seasons as well as extensive NTZ's

We don't. NTZs are not a guarantee, and you yourself argued against my suggestions that other limits should be relaxed as they are brought in. However, there will be much less need for them, because NTZs make fish populations inherently more stable.

Quote:
Also I told you before that the closed season is not for snapper but coral reef species.

Which closed season are you referring to?

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #16 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 8:17pm

[] Quote:
Made it up then.

Are you suggesting it might be more than 0.1% Think about it before you answer. Or are you going to demand I prove something you don;t even disagree with?

If I made that sort of claim you would (and have) demand that I must chase up some sort of proof.

Quote:
PS how is it cost effective to lock up 20% of all waters in the region just to manage one species that is not all that overfished?

By 'not all that overfished', do you mean snapper? If so, are you suggesting it could get a lot worse?

No I'm suggesting that it won't take much in the way of further restrictions to fix a minor problem.

Quote:
How do we know that there won't be closed seasons as well as extensive NTZ's

We don't. NTZs are not a guarantee, and you yourself argued against my suggestions that other limits should be relaxed as they are brought in. However, there will be much less need for them, because NTZs make fish populations inherently more stable.

That's an unfounded claim. And you ignore the considerable cost of having 20% NTZ's when more targeted measures will do in the case of snapper. 

Quote:
Also I told you before that the closed season is not for snapper but coral reef species.

Which closed season are you referring to?

Are you intent of just playing dumb? The closed season on the southern GBR for coral reef species - get it?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #17 - Jun 5th, 2011 at 10:09pm

Quote:
If I made that sort of claim you would (and have) demand that I must chase up some sort of proof.

No PJ. It is a pretty simple matter of putting things into perspective. That is why all I suggested is that you think about it before responding.

Quote:
That's an unfounded claim. And you ignore the considerable cost of having 20% NTZ's when more targeted measures will do in the case of snapper.

Other than incessant whinging from a minority of fishermen, what is this considerable cost?

Quote:
Are you intent of just playing dumb? The closed season on the southern GBR for coral reef species - get it?

The GBR is a big place. I am not going to bother trying to figure out what you are on about.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #18 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 4:49pm

Quote:

Other than incessant whinging from a minority of fishermen, what is this considerable cost?

What do you think was the cost of just the GBRMP?

Quote:

The GBR is a big place. I am not going to bother trying to figure out what you are on about.

I said the Southern GBR. If you want me to be more specific then the Cairns region (but not limited to this region).

PS: It is rather ironic that displaced commercial effort from the GBRMP closures has contributed to pressure on snapper stocks in SE Qld!

« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2011 at 5:57pm by pjb05 »  

IP Logged

Jason Crowther

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 4:51pm

Looks like you are wrong again Freediver
news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/wa-report-raises-doubts-over-marine-parks
-20110602-1fhy5.html
Quote:
Research funded by the federal government has raised doubts about the effectiveness of its proposed expansion of marine parks in Western Australian.

The commonwealth-funded joint study by the WA Department of Fisheries and Murdoch University found fishing activity was not having a major impact on fish stocks in the state's four marine bio-regions.

The report found there was no reduction in the average fish stocks within the West Coast, South Coast, Gascoyne, Pilbara or Kimberley bio-regions which would be expected if larger species were being over-fished.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #20 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 10:33pm

What am I wrong about Jason?

IP Logged

Jason Crowther

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 11:46pm

freediver wrote on Jun 6th, 2011 at 10:33pm:

The premise of your initial post of course. The science says you are wrong

IP Logged

Jason Crowther

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 1:34am

Bump waiting for FDs admission

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #23 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 2:05pm

I'm always amazed at the mentality of Fisheries to state there is no 'demise' in Fish Stocks from the norm (normal).
Considering the 'norm' would have been the Australian waters BEFORE the start of Commercial Fishing about 140+ years ago.
Roll Eyes

You would hope the mentality would change soon one day to see an Australian Aquatic Entity (that involves Commercial Fishing as well)
proliferate Fish Stocks from the 'norm' into the positive equation.

But instead, we have to put up with silly 'scientific' drivel that side-steps the obvious as if the Australian Public doesn't care or even understands ...or sees the obvious. Roll Eyes

...well 200,000 people registered in 1 week towards buying the meat produce from Indpendents that treat their Cows more humanely and are killed by 'order', not mass production.

Sounds like 'Change' to me. Wink

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #24 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 2:12pm

Ban commercial fishing, and have small 'no-catch zones'

No matter which way you try to spin it, the oceans are getting fished out.  There needs to be a generation or 2 for stocks to recover.  Sure, fishermen will cry foul, but if they keep on the way they're going, there won't be anything for them to catch soon enough.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #25 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 4:51pm

They just go into other people's and nation's zones/waters.
They get better technology to grab whatever they missed previously.
The put more fishing rods on the beach per person.
The change the laws to suit themselves and not the Fish Stocks.
They consider the 'thousands' of other extinct species as "not a precedence to consider".
Its all about the Commercial Fishing $$$ and 'their' jobs ...rather than the many more jobs created by saving the Fish Stocks for LONG TERM resource and employment.
Look what happened to Canada and the drastic action they had to take upon their own Fishing Fleets, let alone any Foreign Fleet 'straddling' their National Ocean bounderies.

...even the ALP is trying to 'cash in' on the Conservation/Environmental scene because they know its the most popular national Topic and where the money is these days.
Lucky for them, the Greens are still 'dormant'.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #26 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 4:51pm

... wrote on Jun 7th, 2011 at 2:12pm:

No matter which way you try to spin it, the oceans are getting fished out.  There needs to be a generation or 2 for stocks to recover.  Sure, fishermen will cry foul, but if they keep on the way they're going, there won't be anything for them to catch soon enough.

What evidence do you have that Australian waters are overfished?

Given that they are not, how much sense does it make importing all our seafood from waters more heavily fished than our own?

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #27 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 5:11pm

pjb05 wrote on Jun 7th, 2011 at 4:51pm:
... wrote on Jun 7th, 2011 at 2:12pm:

No matter which way you try to spin it, the oceans are getting fished out.  There needs to be a generation or 2 for stocks to recover.  Sure, fishermen will cry foul, but if they keep on the way they're going, there won't be anything for them to catch soon enough.

Given that they are not, how much sense does it make importing all our seafood from waters more heavily fished than our own?

What evidence do I have?  Hmmm...well when I was a kid you could easily catch plenty of good sized fish around metro areas. Now, there's nuthin.  And this same sentiment is echoed from all over.

C'mon aren't we past all that?  It's plain to see that overfishing has caused fish stocks to plummet, and if we keep on the way we have been, they will continue to plummet until they reach the point of no return.

And why?  So yuppies can have their omega-3 tablets, and cause professional fisherman can't be arsed getting another job.  I like fish as much as the next man, but I go without for the sake of future generations.  Fat lot of good it'll do when there's millions more who don't care.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #28 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 5:19pm

... wrote on Jun 7th, 2011 at 5:11pm:
pjb05 wrote on Jun 7th, 2011 at 4:51pm:
[quote author=WESLEY.PIPES link=1307150085/15#24 date=1307419959]Ban commercial fishing, and have small 'no-catch zones'

What evidence do I have?  Hmmm...well when I was a kid you could easily catch plenty of good sized fish around metro areas. Now, there's nuthin.  And this same sentiment is echoed from all over.

Maybe you should brush up on your fishing skills - that's if you actually go fishing. I live in Sydney and there's plenty of fish. I catch more than when I was a kid that's for sure (of course I am a better fisherman now).

C'mon aren't we past all that?  It's plain to see that overfishing has caused fish stocks to plummet, and if we keep on the way we have been, they will continue to plummet until they reach the point of no return.

Are you familiar with the concept of maximum sustainable yield? Is 'plain to see' just code for your poor fishing skills?

And why?  So yuppies can have their omega-3 tablets, and cause professional fisherman can't be arsed getting another job.  I like fish as much as the next man, but I go without for the sake of future generations.  Fat lot of good it'll do when there's millions more who don't care.

How about some facts instead of mushy platitudes. What evidence do you have that we are overfished?

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #29 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 5:22pm

LOL.  Yeah dude,  I was a much better fisherman when I was 8. 

That's exactly what it is.  Nothing at all to do with ocean life being pillaged for material gain.

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #30 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 5:26pm

Me too. I love to eat Fish.
I don't need 'Science' to prove to me what Common Sense can.
Throw in Pollution into the Waterways and everything the Old Timers say about how the waters around Mooney Mooney used to be helluva lot clearer than today because of less impact by Farming methods and hoofed livestock, etc, etc.
Look around to what's happened to other Nations and the surrounding seas ...Australia better change its ways 'radically' towards a more 'conservative' approach or it will just be the same.
Scientific Proof? Well I suppose you want me to bring up heaps of Docos, Reports, Links, etc ...but I've been over all of them heaps previously. It all just tells the same story although many so-called Scientists will be paid to say otherwise as well like a 'dis-informer'.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #31 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 5:30pm

... wrote on Jun 7th, 2011 at 5:22pm:
LOL.  Yeah dude,  I was a much better fisherman when I was 8.  

That's exactly what it is.  Nothing at all to do with ocean life being pillaged for material gain.

If there was 'nuthing left' as you claim I wouldn't matter how good a fisherman I was, would it? PS how do you figure that having the least fished waters in the World equals 'pillage'?

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #32 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 5:39pm

pjb05 wrote on Jun 7th, 2011 at 5:30pm:
... wrote on Jun 7th, 2011 at 5:22pm:
LOL.  Yeah dude,  I was a much better fisherman when I was 8.  

That's exactly what it is.  Nothing at all to do with ocean life being pillaged for material gain.

If there was 'nuthing left' as you claim I wouldn't matter how good a fisherman I was, would it? PS how do you figure that having the least fished waters in the World equals 'pillage'?

1.I live several thousand kilometers from you.  Even though you are lying about there being a plentiful catch (admit it, we all know) even if it were true, it has no bearing on my situation here. I digress, there IS something left, but on dives, there is visibly less life than even 5 -10 years ago.  What used to be teeming with fish of all shapes and sizes, there are now just a few isolated fish swimming around in loneliness.

2.So the rest of the world pillaged them too.  Doesn't mean we have to repeat their mistakes.

Sounds like another case of the 'great herds' of bison all over again.  "There's so many of them, we could never kill enough so that the species would be under threat...oh wait."

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #33 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 5:49pm

Wonder why the Fishing Industry can't pour its $$WEALTH into 'producing' more Fish Stocks than were available 'naturally' before the Havesting commenced.
I'm pretty sure you don't need a Scientist to tell you that you gotta produce the crop before you harvest it.
At the moment, its just been a few centuries of pure Harvest.
...and no, I don't mean 'production' of bland, fragile, immunised, grain-fed, pen-kept inferior fish.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #34 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 5:52pm

... wrote on Jun 7th, 2011 at 5:39pm:
pjb05 wrote on Jun 7th, 2011 at 5:30pm:
[quote author=WESLEY.PIPES link=1307150085/15#29 date=1307431371]LOL.  Yeah dude,  I was a much better fisherman when I was 8.  

1.I live several thousand kilometers from you.  Even though you are lying about there being a plentiful catch (admit it, we all know) even if it were true, it has no bearing on my situation here. I digress, there IS something left, but on dives, there is visibly less life than even 5 -10 years ago.  What used to be teeming with fish of all shapes and sizes, there are now just a few isolated fish swimming around in loneliness.

You said there are no fish left around our metro areas. Sydney is the largest metro area so if anywhere is overfished then it would be Sydney by your reasoning. If you think I am lying then why don't you look at one of the local fishing sites such as 'Fishraider' under the reports section.

PS you sound more like a diver with an anti-fishing bias from your comments than a fisherman.

2.So the rest of the world pillaged them too.  Doesn't mean we have to repeat their mistakes.

We have 30x less than the World average fishing pressure, so how do you figure that.

Sounds like another case of the 'great herds' of bison all over again.  "There's so many of them, we could never kill enough so that the species would be under threat...oh wait."

Just showing your ignorance. The marine environment and fisheries are fundamentally different to you example. 

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #35 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 5:54pm

Quote:
Just showing your ignorance. The marine environment and fisheries are fundamentally different to you example.    

So please enlighten me.
The only fundamnetal differnce is that  one example is on land, the other is in the sea.  That's it.  Both fish and land animals need time and habitat to reproduce, to offset the numbers that are killed before their time.  Mankinds evergrowing popualtion, and their appetite will make sure that increasing numbers of fish are taken, without regard for preserving their numbers.

I might point out that I advocate a ban on COMMERCIAL fishing, not angling.  When more fish = more $$$, the fish are always going to lose out to greed.
« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2011 at 6:01pm by ... »  

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #36 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 6:22pm

... wrote on Jun 7th, 2011 at 5:54pm:
Quote:

So please enlighten me.
The only fundamnetal differnce is that  one example is on land, the other is in the sea.  That's it.  Both fish and land animals need time and habitat to reproduce, to offset the numbers that are killed before their time.  Mankinds evergrowing popualtion, and their appetite will make sure that increasing numbers of fish are taken, without regard for preserving their numbers.

I might point out that I advocate a ban on COMMERCIAL fishing, not angling.  When more fish = more $$$, the fish are always going to lose out to greed.  

To start with you have been nailed on several points you now choose to ignore.

As to the fundamental difference between the land and sea is that the sea can never be reclaimed by man as for instance a forest can be clear-felled. Regarding fish - unlike land mammals they are extremely fecund and usually fast growing. They live in an environment where predation is extremely high. Fishermen are just another snout in the trough. The ocean is vast - they have a lot of places to hide and evade. No fish species has ever been fished to extinction. 

If you think that the dollar is the sole driver of commercial fishing then why does Australia spend 1.7 billion dollars a year importing 70% of it's seafood? If we ban our commercial fishing how long do you think we will hang on to out 200m EEZ.?

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #37 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 6:26pm

Quote:

I have??  That's news to me, but I'm a sporting kind of gentleman.  Bring these points I have been 'nailed' on to my attention, and they will be addressed.

While I understand that fisherman are 'just another snout in the trough' I don't think you comprehend just how big a snout it is.

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #38 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 6:29pm

Sorry PJ,
The Ocean may be VAST as you say,
but Life in the Ocean isn't - 90% live (as the Scientific reports suggest) in the upper 400 metres and along the Continental Shelves.
The open ocean Oceanic White-Tip Shark eats Whale Poo, such is the scarcity of food 'out there' in the ...vastness.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #39 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 6:33pm

] Quote:

I have??  That's news to me, but I'm a sporting kind of gentleman.  Bring these points I have been 'nailed' on to my attention, and they will be addressed.

Have a look at the first parts of my post #34, ie the ones you chopped out in your reply.

While I understand that fisherman are 'just another snout in the trough' I don't think you comprehend just how big a snout it is.

I have offered some convincing evidence - your case is only backed up by a few dives in some undisclosed location.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #40 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 7:12pm

pjb05 wrote on Jun 7th, 2011 at 6:33pm:
] Quote:

I have??  That's news to me, but I'm a sporting kind of gentleman.  Bring these points I have been 'nailed' on to my attention, and they will be addressed.

Have a look at the first parts of my post #34, ie the ones you chopped out in your reply.

I have offered some convincing evidence - your case is only backed up by a few dives in some undisclosed location.

post 34, post 34...ahh post 34.  

*reads over*

Nope.  nothing ground breaking, or 'nailing' there.  Your impression of your own debating skills appears to be over inflated.

Look, if you'd seen what I have seen, you'd be convinced too.  I won't waste anymore time with this....but why do I get the feeling you'll NEVER be convinced, no matter what?

Quote:
Only 10 percent of all large fish—both open ocean species including tuna, swordfish, marlin and the large groundfish such as cod, halibut, skates and flounder—are left in the sea, according to research published in today's issue of the scientific journal Nature.

"From giant blue marlin to mighty bluefin tuna, and from tropical groupers to Antarctic cod, industrial fishing has scoured the global ocean. There is no blue frontier left," said lead author Ransom Myers, a fisheries biologist based at Dalhousie University in Canada. "Since 1950, with the onset of industrialized fisheries, we have rapidly reduced the resource base to less than 10 percent—not just in some areas, not just for some stocks, but for entire communities of these large fish species from the tropics to the poles."

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/05/0515_030515_fishdecline.html

Quote:
Our oceans are in trouble. Three quarters of global fish stocks are fully exploited, over-exploited or
depleted and Australia’s Bureau of Rural Sciences has declared that almost half of Australia’s 70 principle
fish species are fully fished or overfished.

http://www.vcc.vic.gov.au/coasttocoastproceedings/BOHM_Craig_paper.pdf
« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2011 at 7:37pm by ... »  

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #41 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 7:38pm

/30#40 date=1307437935]pjb05 wrote on Jun 7th, 2011 at 6:33pm:
] Quote:

*reads over*

Nope.  nothing ground breaking, or 'nailing' there.  Your impression of your own debating skills appears to be over inflated.

You have done it again. Do you call totally avoiding these points 'debating'?

Look, if you'd seen what I have seen, you'd be convinced too.  I won't waste anymore time with this....but why do I get the feeling you'll NEVER be convinced, no matter what?

I am supposed to believe your 'evidence' which consists of undocumented dive observation limited to one location in a metropilitan area? Who is kidding who? I think your last statement is you projecting your own faults back on to me.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #42 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 7:44pm

[ Quote:
Only 10 percent of all large fish—both open ocean species including tuna, swordfish, marlin and the large groundfish such as cod, halibut, skates and flounder—are left in the sea, according to research published in today's issue of the scientific journal Nature.

"From giant blue marlin to mighty bluefin tuna, and from tropical groupers to Antarctic cod, industrial fishing has scoured the global ocean. There is no blue frontier left," said lead author Ransom Myers, a fisheries biologist based at Dalhousie University in Canada. "Since 1950, with the onset of industrialized fisheries, we have rapidly reduced the resource base to less than 10 percent—not just in some areas, not just for some stocks, but for entire communities of these large fish species from the tropics to the poles."

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/05/0515_030515_fishdecline.html

As yes,  the Worm/ Meyers paper. This has been totally debunked by senior fisheries scientists such as Prof Ray Hilborn.

Quote:
Our oceans are in trouble. Three quarters of global fish stocks are fully exploited, over-exploited or
depleted and Australia’s Bureau of Rural Sciences has declared that almost half of Australia’s 70 principle
fish species are fully fished or overfished.

http://www.vcc.vic.gov.au/coasttocoastproceedings/BOHM_Craig_paper.pdf

Fully fished just means we don't want to fish them any further. Also your quote shows that over half of the principle fish are in fact underfished. Also 'overfished' does not mean that they are in any danger or threat. 

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #43 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 8:49pm

pjb05 wrote on Jun 7th, 2011 at 7:38pm:
/30#40 date=1307437935]pjb05 wrote on Jun 7th, 2011 at 6:33pm:
] Quote:

*reads over*

You have done it again. Do you call totally avoiding these points 'debating'?

I am supposed to believe your 'evidence' which consists of undocumented dive observation limited to one location in a metropilitan area? Who is kidding who? I think your last statement is you projecting your own faults back on to me.

One does not need to avoid that which is not there.  No salient points means there is nothing for me to address.  I hardly think that 'I live in sydney and I catch fish' is the point to end all points.

But anyhoo, I giveth not a rodents derriere whether you agree with me or not.  I thought 'the science was settled' in that fish stocks the world over are under severe stress, but I see there are still pockets of dissenters.  Regardless, when I dive in the same spots year after year, and year after year remark that there doesn't seem to be as much life as the last time, I do not need to google a study to confirm what I have seen with my own eyes.

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #44 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 9:19pm

Same here and that's just the Recreational Zones.
Luckily there are some NoTake Zones and the fish seem to 'appear' in abundance as if like  ...at least 50 years ago, from what I'm told by those who actually got to see it.

'Science' is not the last/only say upon the matter. Even the Art industry, with all its 'photos' is proof just as much.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #45 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 9:29pm

Jason Crowther wrote on Jun 6th, 2011 at 11:46pm:
freediver wrote on Jun 6th, 2011 at 10:33pm:

The premise of your initial post of course. The science says you are wrong

So nothing I actually said was wrong, just something you imagined on my behalf?

Quote:
Bump waiting for FDs admission

I admit you are confused.

Quote:
Maybe you should brush up on your fishing skills - that's if you actually go fishing. I live in Sydney and there's plenty of fish. I catch more than when I was a kid that's for sure (of course I am a better fisherman now).

When was the last time you caught a snapper?

Quote:
We have 30x less than the World average fishing pressure

Our cattle stocking rates are also much less. Does that mean it is relevant to compare stocking rates without context?

Quote:
As to the fundamental difference between the land and sea is that the sea can never be reclaimed by man as for instance a forest can be clear-felled. Regarding fish - unlike land mammals they are extremely fecund and usually fast growing.

LOL. Do you realise how naive and absurd your generalisations are PJ?

Quote:
No fish species has ever been fished to extinction.  

Nice to know you set the bar so high. Almost half of our fish are either overfished or pushed to their limit, but so long as they don't go extinct you are happy?

IP Logged

Jason Crowther

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 9:56pm

Quote:

The science says that traditional fisheries management is working. There is no need to add this additional and divisive tool especially without scientific basis.

Why do you ignore the science fd? Convenient for you?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #47 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 10:12pm

Quote:
The science says that traditional fisheries management is working.

Except of course for all the times it doesn't work hey?

Quote:
Why do you ignore the science fd? Convenient for you?

I'm guess I just don't give myself the luxury of cherry picking the 'science' like you do.

BTW, is this meant to be your example of what I am wrong about?

IP Logged

Jason Crowther

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 11:34pm

Yes. A perfect example of why you are wrong in respect to marine parks being the missing piece in fisheries management tools

You are also wrong on many many other counts but they are issues for many many other individual threads

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #49 - Jun 8th, 2011 at 11:05am

I think you don't have to be a Scientist to work out that the majority of 'research & information' out there is expressing by more that 85% that Global Fishing is in dire straits and although Australia is probably one of the better waters ...if we put the statistic to the "pound 4 pound" ratio like they do in Boxing, in regards to our 'population'. We in fact would be just as bad and probably sending our Commercial Fishing Fleets into foreign Territories to take their fish for want of not having any in our own waters.

You think Scientists are so smart. Why do they support the backwards process of Harvest before Production? Why can't they promote growth in our Waters to make our seas the most productive in a NATURAL rather than Civilised way? Why is it that Recreational Divers need to 'dump' unwanted Ex-Naval Ships as "Dive Play Grounds" under the pretence of "Artificial Reef" as if they are doing it for the Fish and Environment as a priority?

Face it Jason/PJ ...if the Fish and "my god Shocked" the Snapper, aren't under any THREAT (which usually begins past the 50% mark)
...why then does the Fishing Industry need to Fish into the Santuaries/Reserves/Zones that have been set out, now that Barry O'Farrell has allowed them to do so?
Are things that 'desperate' out there that they need to exploit zones that barely make 10% of all of our waters?

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #50 - Jun 8th, 2011 at 4:56pm

[ Quote:

When was the last time you caught a snapper?

The last time I went fishing for them. I catch them all year round most times I target them. I always get a good haul of good eating fish offshore from Sydney even if I don't catch snapper. 

Quote:
We have 30x less than the World average fishing pressure

Our cattle stocking rates are also much less. Does that mean it is relevant to compare stocking rates without context?

I have given the context in other threads - we are not deficient in primary productivity.

Quote:
As to the fundamental difference between the land and sea is that the sea can never be reclaimed by man as for instance a forest can be clear-felled. Regarding fish - unlike land mammals they are extremely fecund and usually fast growing.

LOL. Do you realise how naive and absurd your generalisations are PJ?

Saying there was no difference between hunting bison and fish was absurd. It just reflects your ignorance and bias that you level that at me. I can back them with references - can you do the same?

Quote:
No fish species has ever been fished to extinction.  

Nice to know you set the bar so high. Almost half of our fish are either overfished or pushed to their limit, but so long as they don't go extinct you are happy?

That's not what I said. I was pointing out the difference between fish and land mammals - remember? You even have to twist the reference around. Half aren't overfished or 'pushed to the limit' and it was refering to the primary fish species not all of them . The term 'fully fished' wasn't gloomy enough for you so you had to change it. Fully fished means we are fishing them sustainably but we don't want to fish them at a higher rate.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #51 - Jun 8th, 2011 at 5:24pm

Quote:
Saying there was no difference between hunting bison and fish was absurd. It just reflects your ignorance and bias that you level that at me.

yes, you said the same thing yesterday.  The only problem is, you didn't say why the comparison was absurd, or how it showed ignorance.  If I didn't know better, It'd seem you were stumped....

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #52 - Jun 8th, 2011 at 5:29pm

freediver wrote on Jun 7th, 2011 at 10:12pm:
Quote:
The science says that traditional fisheries management is working.

Except of course for all the times it doesn't work hey?

What times are they? All the examples I seem to recall from you are either out of date/ already rectified or lacking relevance in other ways, eg out of our jurastiction. Also you present them as the paradigm 'conventional fisheries management has failed - marine parks are the solution'. You seem to be oblivious to the point that tradional fisheries management, properly applied, would also avoid/ fix these problems, and probably more effectively than in the case of marine parks.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #53 - Jun 8th, 2011 at 5:49pm

... wrote on Jun 8th, 2011 at 5:24pm:
Quote:
Saying there was no difference between hunting bison and fish was absurd. It just reflects your ignorance and bias that you level that at me.

yes, you said the same thing yesterday.  The only problem is, you didn't say why the comparison was absurd, or how it showed ignorance.  If I didn't know better, It'd seem you were stumped....

I said fish were extremely fecund and were faster growing, and had more opportunity to hide. Doesn't that mean anything to you or are you deliberately trying to be obtuse?

Here's a reference:

Robyn Forrest and Tony J Pitcher
Year: 2006
Misguided Claims of Overfishing in New South Wales:
Comment on "Empty Oceans Empty Nets. An evaluation
of NSW fisheries catch statistics from 1940 to 2000"
email: R.Forrest@fisheries.ubc.ca

Two of the most important concepts in understanding the behaviour of harvested populations are those of ‘standing stock biomass’ and ‘production’. The standing stock biomass is the quantity of stock (or the total weight of fish) that exists at a given point in time. Production is the amount of stock produced (or new fish added to the population) over a given time period. Another important concept, ‘carrying capacity’, describes the maximum standing stock that can be supported by the available resources (food, habitat etc.). By definition, when a population of fishes is in its virgin, or unharvested state, we assume that it is at carrying capacity and, all
other things being equal, cannot grow any larger. If some of the virgin biomass is removed by harvesting, we expect that production will increase because there are more resources available for the remaining fish to grow and reproduce.

In most fish populations, the life-phase most likely to benefit from a reduction in standing stock biomass is the juvenile phase. Juvenile survival is expected to increase as intraspecific competition is reduced and this is reflected in the density dependent stock-recruitment
relationships commonly used in fisheries population dynamic models. Without such density dependent effects, it would be impossible to harvest fish populations at all without driving them to extinction (Walters and Martell 2004). The degree to which juvenile survival improves as stock size is reduced depends on the life history and behavioural characteristics of the particular stock (Myers et al. 1999). Species that show a very strong improvement in juvenile
survival as stock size is reduced can, in general, support higher harvest rates than species with a low improvement in juvenile survival (Schnute and Kronlund 1996).

Catches and catch rates in developing fisheries tend to follow a fairly well described trajectory (see Hilborn and Walters 1992). The initial exploratory phase tends to be followed by a period of high catch rates as the initial standing stock is fished down. Reduction in catches after the initial phase of a fishery is an inevitable part of fishery development and provides no evidence whatsoever as to the sustainability of a fishery.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #54 - Jun 8th, 2011 at 10:12pm

Quote:
Yes. A perfect example of why you are wrong in respect to marine parks being the missing piece in fisheries management tools

You are also wrong on many many other counts but they are issues for many many other individual threads

So Jason what you are saying is that you know I am wrong but you can't actually explain it?

Quote:
We in fact would be just as bad and probably sending our Commercial Fishing Fleets into foreign Territories to take their fish for want of not having any in our own waters.

No need. We just buy it off them. Why do it yourself when you can pay some dirt poor asian bloke 50c a day to do it?

Quote:
The last time I went fishing for them. I catch them all year round most times I target them. I always get a good haul of good eating fish offshore from Sydney even if I don't catch snapper.

So, no snapper in the harbour? How far offshore do you need to go these days? Would you catch them without a sounder?

Quote:
I have given the context in other threads 

No you haven't. You ahve referred me to 'papers' by 'scientists' like Walter Starck that merely make the same feeble unfounded claims.

Quote:
Saying there was no difference between hunting bison and fish was absurd. It just reflects your ignorance and bias that you level that at me. I can back them with references - can you do the same?

I did not make the comment about the bison PJ. Do you still think that it is a reasonable generalisation to say fish are fast growing?

Quote:
What times are they? All the examples I seem to recall from you are either out of date/ already rectified or lacking relevance in other ways, eg out of our jurastiction.

Right, I'm sure you can explain away ever stock collapse that has ever happened and convince yourself that it won't happen again because we have finally got it right, despite not really doing anything different. But you are not convincing anyone else.

Quote:
I said fish were extremely fecund and were faster growing, and had more opportunity to hide. Doesn't that mean anything to you or are you deliberately trying to be obtuse?

Here's a reference:

I don't see them making the same silly generalisations as you.

IP Logged

Jason Crowther

Australian Politics

Reply #55 - Jun 8th, 2011 at 11:19pm

Quote:
So Jason what you are saying is that you know I am wrong but you can't actually explain it?

So what you are saying is that I know you know you are wrong and you are having difficulty coming to terms with it?

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #56 - Jun 9th, 2011 at 12:49am

Quote:
If some of the virgin biomass is removed by harvesting, we expect that production will increase because there are more resources available for the remaining fish to grow and reproduce.

Grin What a load of crock! Tell that to the Nipponese and how primordial jellies are the only things growing via the 'gaps'. Don't forget how the Humboldt Squid are exploding in swarms due to the lack of sharks in the West Pacific. God knows what else is happening around the world ...doubt they would wanna admit to anything though. At least Israel fessed up and 'admitted' they F***ed up in their own Lakes and waters. Kinda sad seeing nations shutting the gate after the horse has bolted. Even the Mediterranean is an empty pond ...just about every Doco and YouTube (via my FB Divers) of the place is void of 'schools of fish'.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #57 - Jun 9th, 2011 at 7:30am

[ Quote:

So, no snapper in the harbour? How far offshore do you need to go these days? Would you catch them without a sounder?

You don't know anything do you FD. The harbour is full of juvenile snapper. They move offshore when they mature. The best fishing for snapper off Sydney is in close. I am often fishing in 20-25m of water and within 200-500m of the shore. I even catch them off the rocks with a long cast. My deeper spots are only about 1-1.5 miles out.

Yes I could catch them without a sounder. I never use the sounder to find snapper. It's handy for finding the right depth ot bottom type but as I said a 1970-80s model sounder could do that too.

Quote:
I have given the context in other threads  

No you haven't. You ahve referred me to 'papers' by 'scientists' like Walter Starck that merely make the same feeble unfounded claims.

No, I pointed to the Seas Around US project of the Uni of British Columbia, that has measured primary productivity of the World's oceans.

Quote:

I did not make the comment about the bison PJ. Do you still think that it is a reasonable generalisation to say fish are fast growing?

Neither did I - it was Wesley Snipes comparison. Just because there are a few exceptions to the generalisation does not make it invalid.

Quote:
What times are they? All the examples I seem to recall from you are either out of date/ already rectified or lacking relevance in other ways, eg out of our jurastiction.

Right, I'm sure you can explain away ever stock collapse that has ever happened and convince yourself that it won't happen again because we have finally got it right, despite not really doing anything different. But you are not convincing anyone else.

Even you haven't denied we are getting better at it. You want us do abandon reason and experience for a faith based concept.

Quote:

Here's a reference:

I don't see them making the same silly generalisations as you.

No they didn't compare fish to bison, but they explained the same general concepts.

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #58 - Jun 9th, 2011 at 10:54am

[b]All of Australia's waters should be NO TAKE ZONES with only 10% 'reserved' for Commercial and Recreational Fishing.
Any Fish taken as a resource should be done by selective Spear-Fishing ...pending 'orders', so as not to be wasted sitting on shelves unpaid for until expired.
[/b]

...wonder if Fishermen would cry foul about such a thing? The Conservationists could always say that "Australia is not suffering from a Fishing shortage ...there's at least x5 tins upon the shelf."
Grin

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #59 - Jun 9th, 2011 at 10:55am

Sure, have far greater numbers and reproduce faster than bison.  But 1 bison goes a long way...how far does 1 fish go?  Hunting large animals, one could choose not to target pregnant females, but nets aren't quite so discriminating. 

All of which is rather redundant.  All animals need time to mature and reproduce, fish might do it faster than others, but they are also killed at a much greater rate. A single boat might take 10,000 fish, and say there were 10,000 boats, thats a lotta fish, killed indiscriminately.

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #60 - Jun 9th, 2011 at 12:50pm

In New Zealand, they've proved that 'just' catching the Larger Snapper Males is detrimental to the growth/regeneration of the species.

IP Logged

Jason Crowther

Australian Politics

Reply #61 - Jun 9th, 2011 at 7:53pm

In WA they have just proved that "just catching the Larger Snapper Males" is not occuring

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #62 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 10:47am

If Australian Waters are in a "sustainable" state. Then I'm sure 50% of Australian Waters can be made NO TAKE ZONES.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #63 - Jun 13th, 2011 at 7:13pm

Quote:
Just because there are a few exceptions to the generalisation does not make it invalid.

A few exceptions? It is so full of exceptions it is meaningless gibberish.

Quote:
Even you haven't denied we are getting better at it. You want us do abandon reason and experience for a faith based concept.

No I don't. All of the arguments I have put forward are based on reason, not faith. In fact, it was you who admitted that you based your position on 'faith' in fisheries scientists - a faith they do not even have in themselves. It gets even sillier when you start attacking the whole scientific community because you can;t handle the facts.

Quote:
No they didn't compare fish to bison, but they explained the same general concepts.

General concepts is often about as far as it can get with you. You still support minimum sizes as a fisheries management tool, despite the opbvious and forseeable problems they cause.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #64 - Jun 13th, 2011 at 8:30pm

=1307956400] Quote:
Just because there are a few exceptions to the generalisation does not make it invalid.

A few exceptions? It is so full of exceptions it is meaningless gibberish.

Found of projection aren't you. Name some, if you can.

Quote:

No I don't. All of the arguments I have put forward are based on reason, not faith.

Your own unqualified 'reason'.

In fact, it was you who admitted that you based your position on 'faith' in fisheries scientists - a faith they do not even have in themselves.

When did I say that? What about the little matter of the field evdence I have refered to. Also the fact than when you get caught out you ignore it and go off on another tangent.

It gets even sillier when you start attacking the whole scientific community because you can;t handle the facts.

Do you know what your saying? You just said I'm relying on faith in fisheries scientists!

Quote:

General concepts is often about as far as it can get with you. You still support minimum sizes as a fisheries management tool, despite the opbvious and forseeable problems they cause.

It doesn't hurt to start with the basics - which you seem to be oblivious to.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #65 - Jun 13th, 2011 at 9:17pm

pjb05 wrote on Jun 13th, 2011 at 8:21pm:
Even if they are overfished sustainability will be reached long before you can fish for snapper one day a year!

So you are capable of considering hypotheticals after all? How far would it have to go before you supported marine parks as an alternative? Or would you prefer ever tighter limitations on which days of the year you are allowed to fish on? How many other fishermen do you think would support that approach?

Quote:
Nothing to do with some sort of arms race using echo sounders. PS: it's not a 'total ban', it's a six week closed season. Remember I also said it is debatable whether the closed season is necessary.

Is this your way of saying you have no idea why it was necessary or whether it was necessary? If it has not become an arms race, can you explain how much you spend on fishing?

Quote:

Name some what? Exceptions? Haven't you already conceded it is a generalisation with holes in it? Seeing it was in the context of the bison comparison, how about you name some fish species that grow as quickly as a bison?

Quote:

Plenty of very well qualified people make the same argument PJ. By the way, are you somehow qualified to reject what the scientists say?

Quote:
When did I say that? What about the little matter of the field evdence I have refered to. Also the fact than when you get caught out you ignore it and go off on another tangent.

I am not getting caught out. I just can't always be bothered getting you to explain why you think your point is relevant.

Quote:
Do you know what your saying? You just said I'm relying on faith in fisheries scientists!

Yes I did. Very selectively of course, and in a way that they themselves would reject. But yes it is faith rather than reason.

Quote:

LOL. Let's see how this pans out on the other thread with your magical theories about selective pressure not applying under water.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #66 - Jun 13th, 2011 at 10:21pm

I know this is off topic but just a comment - I went past the local fish shop the other day and noticed a window section full of 3 to 4.5 inch whiting. Hundreds of them.

Continually seeing undersized fish for sale makes me sick.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #67 - Jun 14th, 2011 at 5:17pm

pjb05 wrote on Jun 13th, 2011 at 8:21pm:
Even if they are overfished sustainability will be reached long before you can fish for snapper one day a year!

So you are capable of considering hypotheticals after all? How far would it have to go before you supported marine parks as an alternative? Or would you prefer ever tighter limitations on which days of the year you are allowed to fish on? How many other fishermen do you think would support that approach?

But marine parks are not an alternative are they. Closed seasons exist right alongside marine parks - as I have pointed out. They have more than likely contributed to the closed seasons too, as the displaced fishing pressure has to be limited.

Quote:
Nothing to do with some sort of arms race using echo sounders. PS: it's not a 'total ban', it's a six week closed season. Remember I also said it is debatable whether the closed season is necessary.

Is this your way of saying you have no idea why it was necessary or whether it was necessary?

Whether it was necessary of course. I am saying snapper may not be all that overfished and the closed season errs a bit on the side of precaution. Of course as to the reason what about the displaced commercial fishing from the GBRMP closures?

If it has not become an arms race, can you explain how much you spend on fishing?

It's a hobby. Plenty of people spend a lot on their hobbies. What I spend does not corelate to kilos in caught fish. For example some of my best trips in the past year took place 5 mins drive from my home off the shore and 25km from the coast, ie for practically no cost. I spend money on fishing gear/ methods which are less efficient but more sporting. Eg I buy top end jigging gear for kingfish when I would catch more on a simple outfit and using livebait. You dont know what you talking about.

Quote:

Name some what? Exceptions? Haven't you already conceded it is a generalisation with holes in it? Seeing it was in the context of the bison comparison, how about you name some fish species that grow as quickly as a bison?

I said faster growing AND more fecund AND more places to hide. There are not too many exceptions FD.

Quote:

Plenty of very well qualified people make the same argument PJ. By the way, are you somehow qualified to reject what the scientists say?

I think most would laugh at what you say.

Quote:

I am not getting caught out. I just can't always be bothered getting you to explain why you think your point is relevant.

You are just being deliberately evasive.

Quote:

Yes I did. Very selectively of course, and in a way that they themselves would reject. But yes it is faith rather than reason.

You are just mindlessly projecting what has been said about marine parks back on to me.  

Quote:

LOL. Let's see how this pans out on the other thread with your magical theories about selective pressure not applying under water.

Projection again. It has been said that there is much magical thinking about marine parks.
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2011 at 5:27pm by pjb05 »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #68 - Jun 14th, 2011 at 9:50pm

Quote:
For example some of my best trips in the past year took place 5 mins drive from my home off the shore and 25km from the coast, ie for practically no cost.

You can get 25km offshore for practically no cost?

Quote:
I said faster growing AND more fecund AND more places to hide. There are not too many exceptions FD.

OK. Name a few that are faster growing and more fecund and have more places to hide than a bison.

Quote:
I think most would laugh at what you say.

You called my qualifications into account. What makes your opinion count?

Quote:
You are just being deliberately evasive.

Does this mean you will name a few species that grow faster than a bison?

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #69 - Jun 15th, 2011 at 7:09am

] Quote:
For example some of my best trips in the past year took place 5 mins drive from my home off the shore and 25km from the coast, ie for practically no cost.

You can get 25km offshore for practically no cost?

Duh, 25km from the coast, inland, fishing from the shore in a river. I am hardly going to drive 25km offshore in my car am I?

Quote:

OK. Name a few that are faster growing and more fecund and have more places to hide than a bison.

Every popular commercial and rec species in NSW waters.

« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2011 at 7:23am by pjb05 »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #70 - Jun 16th, 2011 at 8:22pm

They are all faster growing?

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #71 - Jun 26th, 2011 at 3:12pm

I just heard the 6 week closed season on snapper in SE Qld has been recinded. So much for ever increasing closed seasons, FD.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #72 - Jun 26th, 2011 at 9:20pm

Yes PJ. It was for 6 weeks.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #73 - Jun 27th, 2011 at 7:16am

freediver wrote on Jun 26th, 2011 at 9:20pm:
Yes PJ. It was for 6 weeks.

Not any more - there won't be a closed season.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #74 - Jun 27th, 2011 at 8:17pm

It started February 15 this year. It has already happened.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #75 - Jun 27th, 2011 at 9:31pm

freediver wrote on Jun 27th, 2011 at 8:17pm:
It started February 15 this year. It has already happened.

The point is (sigh) it won't be happening again:

Snapper ban sinks under pressure
June 26, 2011 12:01AM

QUEENSLAND recreational fishers can raise their rods in triumph after the State Government bowed to community pressure and dumped a planned six-week ban on snapper next year.
In a move chalked up to people power, the Government will today announce it will not repeat its controversial ban that ran from February to March.
But under a new sustainability plan, which will be reviewed in three years, recreational bag limits will be reduced from five to four, and a voluntary online monitoring program will start.
A new recreational fishing advisory group will be formed to advise the Government on fishing policy.
Acting Premier Paul Lucas said the future of snapper could be ensured without imposing bans.
"We have to balance the need to protect this species, the jobs the fishing industry provides and the right for Queenslanders to chuck in a line,'' Mr Lucas said.
"We are still committed to rebuilding snapper stocks, but doing it in such a way that doesn't threaten industry or the Queensland way of life.''
Former Fisheries Minister Tim Mulherin announced the ban last year, citing studies that showed snapper stocks had plummeted by 65 per cent since the 1940s.
But the Government received intense feedback from mum-and-dad anglers, charter businesses and commercial fishers.
Businesses claimed they would lose income, while other anglers and some scientists said the measures would not help replenish stocks.
At the time, a Government regulatory impact statement for Rocky Reef Fin Fish Fishery also mooted a plan to tax anglers for catching snapper. But Craig Wallace, who was appointed Fisheries Minister earlier this year, dumped the plan, and recent meetings with peak fishing group Sunfish led to moves to end the six-week prohibition.
If another ban was held next year from February to March, it could potentially run into State Government elections and strip vital votes from some of Labor's coastal seats.
Mr Wallace yesterday described the changes as sensible.
"Queenslanders have a passion for fishing and for the wonderful seafood that this state's waters produce,'' Mr Wallace said.
"As a keen angler myself, I personally oversaw the consultation process to ensure community views were heard at the highest levels of government,'' he said.

Anglers can now only take 4 snapper instead of 5 and only 1 can be more than 70cm.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #76 - Jun 27th, 2011 at 9:47pm

Quote:
But under a new sustainability plan, which will be reviewed in three years, recreational bag limits will be reduced from five to four

And this is your proof that restrictions are not getting tighter?

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #77 - Jun 28th, 2011 at 7:05am

Sigh, you said/infered that closed seasons (bans in your words) would ever tighten unless we accept marine parks (which are seemingly no inconvenience at all). I recall a mention by you of being allowed to fish for snapper one day a year.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #78 - Jun 29th, 2011 at 6:53pm

No PJ, that is not what I said. It really is quite simple to quote someone, and works a lot better than just making stuff up.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #79 - Jun 29th, 2011 at 8:35pm

freediver wrote on Jun 29th, 2011 at 6:53pm:
No PJ, that is not what I said. It really is quite simple to quote someone, and works a lot better than just making stuff up.

So what was all this in aid of?

"How restricted would you accept it before you supported an alternative like marine parks? Maybe when you can fish for snapper one day out of the year?"

"Other than incessant whinging from a minority of fishermen, what is this considerable cost?"

"How far would it have to go before you supported marine parks as an alternative? Or would you prefer ever tighter limitations on which days of the year you are allowed to fish on?"

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #80 - Jun 29th, 2011 at 9:56pm

That was the question you were unable to answer. I found your inability or unwillingness to answer it interesting.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #81 - Jun 30th, 2011 at 4:48pm

freediver wrote on Jun 29th, 2011 at 9:56pm:
That was the question you were unable to answer. I found your inability or unwillingness to answer it interesting.

I did, you just didn't like the answer. In any case it is more like a rhetorical device than a meaningful question.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #82 - Jun 30th, 2011 at 9:03pm

Well done PJ. It was a hypothetical question. Rejecting the hypothesis is not the same as answering.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #83 - Jul 1st, 2011 at 5:08pm

freediver wrote on Jun 30th, 2011 at 9:03pm:
Well done PJ. It was a hypothetical question. Rejecting the hypothesis is not the same as answering.

It's rejectable.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #84 - Jul 2nd, 2011 at 8:39am

Have you encountered the concept of a hypothetical question before?

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #85 - Jul 2nd, 2011 at 6:31pm

freediver wrote on Jul 2nd, 2011 at 8:39am:
Have you encountered the concept of a hypothetical question before?

A ten year old would have. What do you think?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #86 - Jul 3rd, 2011 at 9:16am

I thought maybe you didn't know what a hypothetical question is. Just giving you the benefit of the doubt.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #87 - Jul 3rd, 2011 at 10:03am

freediver wrote on Jul 3rd, 2011 at 9:16am:
I thought maybe you didn't know what a hypothetical question is. Just giving you the benefit of the doubt.

What do you mean by 'benefit of the doubt'?  You make it sound like I have done something wrong.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #88 - Jul 7th, 2011 at 5:17pm

It may be a hypothetical question, but it is as few other things besides; a high school debating trick (taking a point to an illogical extreme), a loaded question (crafted so that if I answer either way it gives support to your postion; and a false paradigm (as pointed out previously).

PS: This is more support for your contention being false:

http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110706/full/475007a.html

Fishery reform slips through the net

Upcoming change fails to tackle the pernicious relationship between government advisers and the fishing lobby, says Rainer Froese.

The fishing industry is less important to Europe's economy than its sewing-machine manufacturers. Yet it consistently gets to overrule scientific advice and drive fish stocks to the brink of collapse. Without massive subsidies, European fisheries would be bankrupt: the cost of hunting the few remaining fish would exceed the income from selling the catch.

--

Considering the mess that we are in, the reform proposes big steps in the right direction. Internationally agreed reference points for sustainable fishing will finally be recognized and the discarding of perfectly good fish for bureaucratic reasons will be phased out. But the proposal falls short of reforms enacted in New Zealand, Australia and the United States. These countries have precautionary fishing targets and close fisheries when stocks enter the slope to collapse. Europe will have no such precautionary margins and will only gradually reduce fishing pressure when stocks are on the slope to collapse, with no default rule for closing a fishery. Whereas the other countries have phased out or drastically reduced subsidies, the commission proposes only to reshuffle them.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #89 - Jul 7th, 2011 at 7:28pm

You could claim the question to be 100 different things in your search for a justification for not answering it. But the simple truth is that it is just question to ascertain how far it would have to go before you supported marine parks as an alternative. If your reasons for not answering are valid it can only mean that the question highlights some flaw in your argument that you seek to hide.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #90 - Jul 7th, 2011 at 8:10pm

[]You could claim the question to be 100 different things in your search for a justification for not answering it.

There you go again with wild exaggerations.

But the simple truth is that it is just question to ascertain how far it would have to go before you supported marine parks as an alternative.

The quote above shows we are alreading using a precautionary approach so how will it reach that pitch?

If your reasons for not answering are valid it can only mean that the question highlights some flaw in your argument that you seek to hide.

That's incomprehensible!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #91 - Jul 7th, 2011 at 10:07pm

It is not a wild exaggeration. Just keep using your imagination.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #92 - Jul 8th, 2011 at 5:08pm

freediver wrote on Jul 7th, 2011 at 10:07pm:
It is not a wild exaggeration. Just keep using your imagination.

Two words come to mind FD, pathetic and inept. It's quite alright for you to completely ignore my pertinent points. But numerous posts from me answering your question don't count somehow.

IP Logged

ash

Australian Politics

Reply #93 - Sep 2nd, 2011 at 5:49pm

lucky us in nz....no such bans, sure we have recreational quotas, but thats all good....still can get out there and hook up...LOVE FISHING!

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #94 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 3:51pm

[quote author=freediver link=1307150085/45#45 date=1307446183When was the last time you caught a snapper?

[/quote]

The snapper are biting their heads off in Sydney at the moment FD, and good sized ones too. Why don't you look at the reports section of one of the local fishing sites such a Fishraider if you don't believe me?

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #95 - Oct 20th, 2011 at 6:17pm

Here's a link:

http://fishingsydney.blogspot.com/

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print