Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12
Send Topic Print
The Republic Of Australia (Read 20056 times)
mellie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Re: The Republic Of Australia
Reply #90 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 4:37pm

THE PUSH FOR A REPUBLIC

The real reasons behind it.

http://www.despatch.cth.com.au/Misc/JOHN_BURGE_2.htm

A worthwhile read.

Cool

And.... To put it bluntly, by becoming a republic, we face the prospect of the faceless international banking and business deciding what cash will be allowed into the Australian economy.

Some pro-republicans genuinely believe that becoming a republic will be in the best interests of Australia and the Australian people.  However, it is submitted that there are reasonable grounds to believe that the reasons behind the push to change Australia to a republic are to remove our basic rights and freedoms and pave the way for Australia to be swallowed by a World Government.
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2010 at 4:44pm by mellie »  

All together now Labor voters.......&&&&lap-tops, pink-bats refugees and Clunker-cars&&&&insurance.AES256

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #91 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 11:22am

bipedalhumanoid wrote on Jul 13th, 2010 at 6:03pm:
NorthOfNorth wrote on Jul 13th, 2010 at 7:45am:
Personally, I prefer the former as I believe a directly elected President (where the office of President is ceremonial as opposed to executive) could be problematic in that the head of state and head of government would rightly both lay claim to a mandate from the people which could be a presage for a political showdown i.e. The President vs the Prime Minister / Parliament.

That hasn't happened in Ireland, why would you expect it to happen in Australia?

I don't believe it's inevitable, only a possibility...

On another matter, in a future system of government, given what happened to Rudd, should a Parliamentary vote of no confidence in a Prime Minister trigger a general election?

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #92 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 11:34am

If we are going to have a royal family we can at least have our own, adopting the royal family from another country is a tad embarrassing  Smiley

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

bipedalhumanoid

Australian Politics

Reply #93 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 10:58pm

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jul 18th, 2010 at 11:22am:
On another matter, in a future system of government, given what happened to Rudd, should a Parliamentary vote of no confidence in a Prime Minister trigger a general election?

Absolutely not.  As far as I'm concerned anyone votes for a member of a political party is giving power to that party to select a the PM.  If they don't like that fact they should vote for independent candidates.

Ultimately a protest against Rudd's replacement is a protest against party politics.  If you don't like it don't support it.

IP Logged

Matt

Australian Conservative
Centrist

Just Right of The Middle
Reply #94 - Jul 24th, 2010 at 2:23pm

adelcrow wrote on Jul 18th, 2010 at 11:34am:
If we are going to have a royal family we can at least have our own, adopting the royal family from another country is a tad embarrassing  Smiley

That comment can't have been serious, surely?

Australia hasn't adopted the Royal Family of another country. Australia is a member of the British Commonwealth because it was discovered and federated by the British.

That aside...

Apologies if I repeat anything that's already been said as I haven't read right through the thread, but as far as I'm concerned, it's not broken at the moment, why try and fix it?

As far as I believe, it can't be matter of having our own identity in the world. Australia does quite fine at standing on it's own two feet, and is not seen as a state of Britain.

I'm personally not comitted either way on the argument, but our political system seems to work fine as it is and we don't lose anything by having the connection to the British monarch through the Governor General, so unless I saw a workable model for a republic that would benefit the country, not be open to manipulation and not just be a republic model simply for the sake of becoming a republic, I can't see myself voting for it.

Matt  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #95 - Jul 24th, 2010 at 3:48pm

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jul 4th, 2010 at 9:37pm:
freediver wrote on Jul 4th, 2010 at 9:19pm:
It has nothing to do with whether they are Australian or not.

It has everything to do with whether they are Australian or not... That is the main point of Australia's Republic debate. Your argument boils down to "Australians aren't up to it".

freediver wrote on Jul 4th, 2010 at 9:19pm:
It is just about what works and what doesn't. If chanting 'cultural infantilism' over and over is the best argument you can mount against the current system then you have already lost.

You are a cringing crypto-monarchist whose only suggestions are idiocy in practice (Yes, that's right... your old Queen Kate debate)...

Helian, you seem to consistently and deliberately confuse me with some mythical monarchist who opposes a republic for reasons that you would find most convenient. You won't convince anyone by telling them what they believe.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #96 - Jul 24th, 2010 at 4:04pm

If we are going to have a royal family we can at least have our own, adopting the royal family from another country is a tad embarrassing  Smiley

We already have our own embarrassing royalty. Not quite as embarrassing as Prince Charles and Prince Phillip though.
http://www.principality-hutt-river.com/

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #97 - Jul 25th, 2010 at 2:07am

Matt wrote on Jul 24th, 2010 at 2:23pm:

That comment can't have been serious, surely?

Australia hasn't adopted the Royal Family of another country. Australia is a member of the British Commonwealth because it was discovered and federated by the British.

That aside...

Apologies if I repeat anything that's already been said as I haven't read right through the thread, but as far as I'm concerned, it's not broken at the moment, why try and fix it?

As far as I believe, it can't be matter of having our own identity in the world. Australia does quite fine at standing on it's own two feet, and is not seen as a state of Britain.

I'm personally not comitted either way on the argument, but our political system seems to work fine as it is and we don't lose anything by having the connection to the British monarch through the Governor General, so unless I saw a workable model for a republic that would benefit the country, not be open to manipulation and not just be a republic model simply for the sake of becoming a republic, I can't see myself voting for it.

Matt - one thing I like about the Queen is that you can't bribe her.
She is one of the richest women in the world.
As for any political character in Australia -
I wouldn't trust any of them.
Who would vote for them?
Would it be the people or a trade union boss or  a rich
multi-national company that decided?

Look at other countries with Presidents.
Look at what happened in the Philippines with the Marcos family.
Is that we want here?

IP Logged

Del_has_returned

Australian Politics

Reply #98 - Jul 25th, 2010 at 8:17am

I thought Australia already had its own identity; the British Monarchy in no way impinges on that and doesn't want to interfere with it. The Queen brings a lot of global status to this country without which Australia really wouldn't make much of an impression on the world stage.  Does the Queen care if Australia wants to become a Republic? Not really, I think she's quite happy for Australia to be whatever it wants to be.

Labor.....what a bloody joke...

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #99 - Jul 25th, 2010 at 8:20am

Del_has_returned wrote on Jul 25th, 2010 at 8:17am:
The Queen brings a lot of global status to this country without which Australia really wouldn't make much of an impression on the world stage.  

Cringing cultural infantilism.

Does the Queen care if Australia wants to become a Republic? Not really, I think she's quite happy for Australia to be whatever it wants to be.  

She's happy... but you're not... And she's not an Australian.

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #100 - Jul 25th, 2010 at 9:01am

If we are so keen on having a King or Queen then lets create our own,  otherwise lets just get on with it and just swap the GG for a President.
Sharing a royal family with the poms is highly suss and makes us look like we are scared to grow up as a nation.
Why dont we just adopt royal families from every country that has them, surely the more the merrier!   Smiley

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

Del_has_returned

Australian Politics

Reply #101 - Jul 25th, 2010 at 9:42am

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jul 25th, 2010 at 8:20am:
The Queen brings a lot of global status to this country without which Australia really wouldn't make much of an impression on the world stage.  

Cringing cultural infantilism.

Does the Queen care if Australia wants to become a Republic? Not really, I think she's quite happy for Australia to be whatever it wants to be.  

She's happy... but you're not... And she's not an Australian.

You assume a lot.  Don't speak for me, continue with your own unintelligible garble if you think it makes a difference.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #102 - Jul 25th, 2010 at 10:02am

Do all republican resort so readily to strawmen arguments?

They might as well say 'I reject your reality and insert my own'. You present a perfectly reasonable argument for opposing them, and they respond by telling you that's not what you really believe, then telling you what you do believe.

No wonder they lost the referendum.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Del_has_returned

Australian Politics

Reply #103 - Jul 25th, 2010 at 10:15am

"Cringing cultural infantilism" (flavour of the month)

Ah, the vague expression used (or should I say over-used) by helian because of his lack of reasoned argument.

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #104 - Jul 25th, 2010 at 10:39am

I think we should finally acknowledge that  Rupert Murdoch is the King of Australia and the USA.
Lets make it official and build a palace for him on Naru  Smiley

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12
Send Topic Print