Send Topic Print
Ban the Burqa (Read 75751 times)
Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Re: Ban the Burqa
Reply #180 - Jun 29th, 2010 at 9:30am

Wow Lisa, such a harrowing history. Kudos for your personal triumphs against extreme adversity!

Unfortunately, insidious oppression humiliation and alienation are part-and-parcel of most domestic violence - and 'victims' often buy into taking the blame - even making serial excuses - for their partner's extraordinary behaviour...

Again, kudos to you, Lisa!  Wink

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #181 - Jun 29th, 2010 at 9:39am

It is encouraging, to read such diverse comments on a 'Western' political board such as this...

Sadly and ironically, some of the most extreme comments come from people who seek to paint 'Islam' as homogenously extremist...

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #182 - Jun 29th, 2010 at 10:22am

locutius wrote on Jun 29th, 2010 at 9:18am:
Exactly...The other thing about this political system called Islam is the authority that is, according to other Muslims that have posted here, automatic, autocratic and universially recognised and the obligations of obediance that are inherited by followers of Islam and a Caliphate.

IMHO, the Muslims who have posted here are not exactly representative of the whole. Converts to any world view generally get the wrong end of the stick and go off like a headless chook.

What set my alarm bells going was the fact that he thought music should be banned and defended Osama Bin Laden.

- and if you believe that Muslims don't make friends outside their faiths, well I know for a fact that it's not true.  

You've been given a bum steer, mate.  Most Muslims would not agree with them.

It's no worse than Roman Catholicism.
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2010 at 10:41am by muso »  

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #183 - Jun 29th, 2010 at 10:26am

I shudder to think...how a 'Muslim' with extreme tendencies might selectively interpret 'Western' values, after reading our media - and forums such as these...

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #184 - Jun 29th, 2010 at 10:33am

Equitist wrote on Jun 29th, 2010 at 9:39am:
It is encouraging, to read such diverse comments on a 'Western' political board such as this...

Sadly and ironically, some of the most extreme comments come from people who seek to paint 'Islam' as homogenously extremist...

Thy, are you able to provide contradictory information concerning Islam as a political system. I can think of a few individuals on this site that have altered their perceptions of Islam THROUGH this site THROUGH discussion, debate and questions put to some of the Muslim posters here.

It would be labourous to pour though some of these old debates but I will try to find time to see what I can find as examples. Visit the Islam board and bump a few topics if you want...most of us were exhausted by some of the disputes/debates but with so many new members it might breath new life and understanding into them.

We did have a wave of Muslim posters for about a week but disappointingly they disappeared very quickly. They were hit with enthusiastic rudeness by some small minded posters but there was also plenty of enthusiastic genuine enquiry being made as well by others. Not sure which drove them off, the bad manners or the scrutiny.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #185 - Jun 29th, 2010 at 10:43am

muso - Quote:
IMHO, the Muslims who have posted here are not exactly representative of the whole. Converts to any world view generally get the wrong end of the stick.

What set my alarm bells going was the fact that he thought music should be banned and defended Osama Bin Laden.

- and if you believe that Muslims don't make friends outside their faiths, well I know for a fact that it's not true. 

You've been given a bum steer, mate.  Most Muslims would not agree with them.

so, we were just "unlucky" and the ones who stoutly defended and explained their beliefs had it wrong ?
same as many other muslims worldwide?
well, maybe the moderates should teach the extremists what is right.
Oh - the extremist get it from the koran and have read and reread the koran for many many years, if not decades.
same as the moderates have.

so, how many wives did mohammad have ?
and how many sex slaves?
how many people did he  murder?
did he encourage and reward assassainations ?

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #186 - Jun 29th, 2010 at 11:17am

Nice piece of music for you, Sprint.  I alway enjoyed Mahler:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1asnZ_4f5ZA

Of course, we should believe our resident Muslims, shouldn't we?

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #187 - Jun 29th, 2010 at 11:47am

I'm not interested in sarcasm or asides.

course we should believe in those that call themselves muslims, unless we have genune reason to disbelieve them.

say what you mean

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #188 - Jun 29th, 2010 at 12:01pm

muso wrote on Jun 29th, 2010 at 11:17am:
Nice piece of music for you, Sprint.  I alway enjoyed Mahler:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1asnZ_4f5ZA

Of course, we should believe our resident Muslims, shouldn't we?

I've said before that the Celts and Muslims produce some of the most haunting beautiful music I have ever heard so by all means recommend some. Maybe a new topic in "Chat" I would start it but I haven't got anything to kick it of...except something from my favourite album Soundgardens "Super Unknown"

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #189 - Jun 29th, 2010 at 1:32pm

Quote:
What set my alarm bells going was the fact that he thought music should be banned and defended Osama Bin Laden

In Islam there is the Quran and Hadith. The Quran is the word of God, and the Hadith are narrations by the companions of Muhammad and were compiled after his death -  in some cases hundreds of years after.  Stoning for adultery, the forbidding of music etc - these are all Hadith. Shia and Sunni Muslims have different Hadith, but all have the same Quran. Many Hadith contradict the Quran.

Suicide bombings are forbidden by the Quran, but extremists manage to twist Hadith to suit their own purposes. Most of the Talibani laws were based on Hadith, as are those in Saudi Arabia and other Islamic countries.

Here are some verses from the Quran relating to suicide:

Quote:
(2:195) You shall spend in the cause of GOD; do not throw yourselves with your own hands into destruction. You shall be charitable; GOD loves the charitable.

(4:29) O you who believe, do not consume each others' properties illicitly - only mutually acceptable transactions are permitted. You shall not kill yourselves. GOD is Merciful towards you.

Cat Stevens (Yusef Islam) bought into the 'music is forbidden' thing for years. Only recently has he started using guitar and other instruments in his singing.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #190 - Jun 29th, 2010 at 1:34pm

Muso, did Abu defend Bin Laden by saying that it was okay to blow up innocent people, or did he defend him by saying that he wasn't behind the attacks?

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #191 - Jun 29th, 2010 at 1:35pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 29th, 2010 at 11:47am:
I'm not interested in sarcasm or asides.

course we should believe in those that call themselves muslims, unless we have genune reason to disbelieve them.

say what you mean

The point I was making was that one of our resident Muslims made the point that music is discouraged by Islam, but we know for a fact that orchestras and even pop music are very popular throughout the Muslim world. Tune into any radio station in Indonesia and you'll see what I mean.

The same applies to the idea of a worldwide caliphate. Some Muslims have such a political agenda, but it's not exactly true of that nice waitress who serves you up nasi goreng or the guy you buy your kebabs from.

Doesn't it strike you as strange that a Muslim would be banned from Muslim village? What does that tell you about their ideas?

It's like saying that all Catholics are weirdo s&m fanatics because you heard it from an Opus Dei follower. Well - they're Catholic aren't they?  

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #192 - Jun 29th, 2010 at 1:39pm

Annie Anthrax wrote on Jun 29th, 2010 at 1:34pm:
Muso, did Abu defend Bin Laden by saying that it was okay to blow up innocent people, or did he defend him by saying that he wasn't behind the attacks?

Mostly the latter - that it was propaganda, but he also hinted that the West do worse things, (and presumably that made it ok).

I don't particularly want to search for the post, because it makes me sick.

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #193 - Jun 29th, 2010 at 3:01pm

Just adding my 2-bits worth, nothing more, unless requested.

Fashion = Spirituality
The Spiritual industry tends to work alongside the Religious industry. Of the 3 Monotheisms (Judaism, Christianity & Mohomeddism), Mohomeddism tends to be the more 'Spiritual' or 'fashionable'.
Fashion: a physical state of being expressed through 'attirement'.

Seems that Religion/Spirituality was 'created' in the Middle-East.
Wait, there's more...
But it takes the rest of the world to make it 'evolve'.
There's a spanner too! Wink

Saying this, the Moslem Burqa is a very acceptable fashion
...only in Religious and Spiritual places.
EG: I was working in a Private Hospital (the type that doesn't have to be subordinate to Religion and its masses of paperwork, Politics and its 'pro-discrimination /anti freedom-of-choice litigations, the military and its 'real men are in the army ...cuz I was a Male Nurse, who just happened to give it to a female Colonel for a few weeks) that only practices subordination to the Accountants and their Managment in the name of ripping everyone off !
A few Moslems came into our Hospital and start 'telling us' what we should be doing. I stated that "...we can only practice Medicine because thats what we are here for and although we will try to respect peoples wishes, for whatever reason, we give the priority to Medical needs. So your wife will have to remove the Burqa for identification and clarity of expression, especially if she doesn't speak the International Language of English very well, if at all. If she refuses to do so, then I will have to ask her to leave and take her business elsewhere, as this is not a Holy or Spiritual place. I think it is highly possible though that I can allow her to have female staff attend only, even though she is over 40 years of age, as we are adequately staffed."
I guess my remark, made the husband and family attending realise that there really was no point in arguing and the Burqa was removed, though the curtain drawn.

I respect a person's need for privacy and 'personal space'. The USA Government has its CIA and all its secrets and privacy hidden under those letters, so its only fitting, that besides the Political Industry having something to hide (doesn't matter if things are feminine or masculine), then the Spiritual (and to a lesser extent, Religion) could do so too. Working as a male nurse in my very 'surgical' Blue (because blood doesn't show as much : see Art 'moving colours') and my sense of 'spirituality', especially when treating people with Depression (feeling blue), was a 'comfortable' feeling.
Spirituality (Fashion) is a very important Industry...
A man may be Black of Skin, but by 'spiritually' wearing 'Green', he can feel comfortable and respected for being an Environmentalist or a Military personel.

I hope this clarifies a few things towards a more constructive debate topic as I believe this is a very important issue for Australia.

Am I bias? Living near Camden, I have nothing against the Islamic Religion setting up schools. I don't like how Christians try to use 'Anti-Islamic' feelings to justify their own causes and effects in that area of outer-Sydney ...especially when the Islamic Religion expresses 'the Land' more than Christianity (which expresses 'Healing') does ...and thats saying that Camden has always been a proud and strong Farming area. In the end, I think Hurlestone Park Agricultural School should transfer to Camden, and leave the 'burbs behind.

Conclusion: Keep the Burqa (the Ned Kelly look), but only in Religious and Spiritual places of worship and practice.

Wink

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #194 - Jun 29th, 2010 at 6:17pm

muso wrote on Jun 29th, 2010 at 10:22am:
locutius wrote on Jun 29th, 2010 at 9:18am:
Exactly...The other thing about this political system called Islam is the authority that is, according to other Muslims that have posted here, automatic, autocratic and universially recognised and the obligations of obediance that are inherited by followers of Islam and a Caliphate.

IMHO, the Muslims who have posted here are not exactly representative of the whole. Converts to any world view generally get the wrong end of the stick and go off like a headless chook.

You've been given a bum steer, mate.  Most Muslims would not agree with them.

You are confusing Islam with Muslims. Everyone is a hyporcrit. There is a Muslim guy at work who seems to do everything wrong. This doesn't mean Islam is a laid back ideology. He acknowledges himself as a 'bad' Muslim. Which makes me wonder what he would do if people he regarded as 'good' Muslims started asking him to do bad things. It's like it was designed to get the Hitlers to flaot to the top.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 34
Send Topic Print