Send Topic Print
Ban the Burqa (Read 75444 times)
John S
Gold Member

Fascist Party = Liberal
Party

Ban the Burqa
Jun 22nd, 2010 at 9:15am

I have read a lot of stuff on the net were people want the barqa ban in Australia.

As the barqa is part of the Islam religion you would have to change the Australia Constitution first. It states in the Constitution that we have freedom of religion.

'The worst Labor Government is always better then the best Liberal government for Australians workers'
IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Re: Ban the Burqa
Reply #1 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 9:41am

What does the Constitution actually state? Do you have it handy?

This is what I could quickly find.

http://www.dfat.gov.au/facts/religion.html

Quote:
Australia has no official state religion and people are free to practise any religion they choose, as long they obey the law. Australians are also free not to have a religion.

Australia is a predominantly Christian country, with around 64 per cent of all Australians identifying as Christians. However, most other major religious faiths are also practised, reflecting Australia’s culturally diverse society.

Religious freedom is safeguarded by section 116 of the Australian Constitution, which prohibits the federal government from making any law establishing any religion, imposing any religious observance, or prohibiting the free exercise of any religion. Individuals are free to express a diversity of views, as long as they do not incite religious hatred.

While I personally find the Burqa draconian and reflective of a misogynistic culture. I don't think it requires banning at a general level at this stage. I certainly think there are areas that are sensitive for security reasons where it should not be allowed. Areas where identification is a requirement for instance.
« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2010 at 9:47am by locutius »  

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

Deborahmac09
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 10:10am

Whether the Burqa is actually worn for religious reasons is a contentious issue. Even among Muslims.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 10:28am

islams not "just a religion"
the burqa's not "just as religious adornment"

try wearing budgie snugglers in saudi, or pashing your wife there.

the burqa's an affront to our society by those that dislike us.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #4 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 10:43am

It's worn for cultural reasons, which comes down to the same thing.  Certainly most Muslims don't require it.

The question is - if they banned the burka, could you get an exemption for fancy dress parties and stage shows?  

I mean, what would be the purpose of banning it? - because it demeans women? What about strip clubs? Should we ban them for the same reason?

- and what other clothing would they want to ban next?

I reckon it should be illegal to wear shorts with Wellington boots. They just look silly. They are probably unaustralian too, whatever that means (but it sounds really stern and rightwing)

Now such dress is probably not un-new zealand. In fact, I believe that in downtown Hamilton this year, the really fashionable look is to wear green hairy socks neatly folded over the tops of your welly boots (a stylish fair isle jumper - and a beanie adds that je ne sais quoi) . It's a real pull in discos I believe.
« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2010 at 10:51am by muso »  

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 10:49am

Quote:
I mean, what would be the purpose of banning it?

To stop people going around masked in public, in their normal daily lives.
Nobody is trying to ban head scarves, or those funny hats that look like a very furry alien space ship has docked on an orthodox jews head, it is solely about the very rude and confronting issue of needing to deal with people who hide their faces in public.
We communicate with our expressions as much or often more, than verbally, so it is just not a part of how we want our society to be.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #6 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 10:53am

What I don't get, is that some people are soooooo passionate about what (and why) others do or don't wear...

FFS, what's their hangup and/or agenda!?

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #7 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 10:55am

locutius wrote on Jun 22nd, 2010 at 9:41am:
While I personally find the Burqa draconian and reflective of a misogynistic culture. I don't think it requires banning at a general level at this stage. I certainly think there are areas that are sensitive for security reasons where it should not be allowed. Areas where identification is a requirement for instance.

Ditto!

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #8 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 11:04am

Quote:
Whether the Burqa is actually worn for religious reasons is a contentious issue. Even among Muslims

No it isn't. Women who wear it do so because they believe that the Quran tells them to. Men who force women to wear it do so for the same reason. The only contentious issue is whether it's compulsory or not. Most Muslims think not, which is why we don't have thousands of burka wearing women.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #9 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 11:11am

Quote:
Individuals are free to express a diversity of views, as long as they do not incite religious hatred

That quote from Locutious' post is interesting, as someone who ridicules religion a lot, I would love to see this tested, because the absolute worst transgressors against religious freedom is, religions.

The way they have turned spirituality into a team sport where the obsessive supporters assure you that their team is superior in every way, and your team sucks so badly that you will burn in hell for eternity for supporting them, has always seemed the most flagrant transgression against religious freedom that there is.

I think the problem arises because what they want religious freedom to mean is it being the right of the religious to impose their views and standards across the whole society.

To which I say, stick it up yer' ar--,   jumper.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #10 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 11:45am

mozzaok wrote on Jun 22nd, 2010 at 10:49am:
Quote:
I mean, what would be the purpose of banning it?

To stop people going around masked in public, in their normal daily lives.
Nobody is trying to ban head scarves, or those funny hats that look like a very furry alien space ship has docked on an orthodox jews head, it is solely about the very rude and confronting issue of needing to deal with people who hide their faces in public.
We communicate with our expressions as much or often more, than verbally, so it is just not a part of how we want our society to be.

So you'd ban it because people find it confronting. What about facial piercings? You could make exactly the same argument there. Some people find excessive facial piercings to be extremely offensive and confronting.

My own view is that if people want to be confronting, then it's a personal choice they make, and we should allow people the freedom to wear what they want (including nothing).

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #11 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 12:05pm

Put a bag over your head muso.
Hide any outward signs that might give people a clue as to who you are, or what your intentions may be, then go about your daily life as normal.
Go to the shop and buy a paper, catch the train, go to work, and see how people react to an anonymous person they can get no signals from.

I am sick and tired of people demanding the right to be offensive idiots because there god told them to.

Going around masked in public is unacceptable, simple, end of story, and the fact that that these clowns claim they are doing it for some ridiculous god concept merely compounds their idiocy.

At the moment they are a tiny minority, but we need to make sure that even that tiny minority is not given the freedom to diminish our right to feel safe and comfortable on our own streets.

The argument about piercings is ridiculous, people with piercings can still smile, or scowl, raise an eyebrow in question, or choose to look passive or aggressive, and even with piercings we can assess all those things from seeing their faces.

That is all we want, a society where people do not mask their faces, they can where purple polka dot full body condoms if they wish, so long as they have the decency to show their face in public, instead of parading in their portable hideouts which is their way of giving the society we love the finger.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 12:11pm

those with facial piercings (which I dislike) have no wish to impose their ideals upon us all.
they do not wish for us all to be likewise pierced and follow the "great needled piercer" whom started their piercing movement.

piercees are in no way a threat to our way of life.
we're "allowed" to draw cartoons of pierced people

this is not the way with burqa wearers

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 12:42pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 22nd, 2010 at 12:11pm:
those with facial piercings (which I dislike) have no wish to impose their ideals upon us all.
they do not wish for us all to be likewise pierced and follow the "great needled piercer" whom started their piercing movement.

piercees are in no way a threat to our way of life.
we're "allowed" to draw cartoons of pierced people

this is not the way with burqa wearers

You're right, SC - the insidious burqa-wearring movement has a plan to ensure all Australian women are properly covered by 2015. They plan to do this through a systematic campaign of burqa terror, including infomercials on daytime TV, product placement on shows like Masterchef, and burqa designs shown off on the catwalks at Fashion Week.

Particularly diabolic is the "invisible burqa," a garment where the eyes are covered, but the woman's body can be seen.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #14 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 4:24pm

Am I allowed to wear my batman costume in public?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 34
Send Topic Print