Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
first past the post voting (Read 11606 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
first past the post voting
Oct 8th, 2008 at 10:09am

Taken from the republic thread:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1173182998/356#356

Revenant thinks we should go back to the bad old system of first past the post vote countg.

First past the post with no preference deals means that the elections are decided by the people.

So do other vote counting methods.

Not by parties making deals with each other.

You are confusing preferential voting with above the line voting in the senate.

Couple that with my suggestion to grant the 6 most popular parties the same level of funding for election campaigns and I reckon we'd have a much more democratic country. 

Why discriminate against the party who came seventh? What's so special about the top six?

If people don't vote for who they truly want because they think that they can’t win, and therefore take the lesser of two evils approach, so be it.

That's your answer to a fundamental flaw in your system? 'So be it'? Why not just use the superior system? Why put up with an electoral system that forces honest voters to lose their opportunity to directly impact the election outcome, and directly impact their short term future? Why force them to choose between having a short term and a long term impact?

Personally I don't relate to people who think like that.

Even if you do waste your vote by voting for a minor party, you still don't eliminate the problems. You just swap one set of problems for another.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Re: first past the post voting
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 11:28am

I would like to see a proportional voting system. If 3% of the population votes Green as a first preference the Greens hold 3% of the parlimentary seats. etc etc.

Not sure about the mechanics to get this to work. South Aust had a workshop on this many years ago I believe. (heard about it on either ABC or radio national) but have not ever been able to track down the details or conclusions. Anyone???

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 11:57am

That's sort of what we have in the Senate, except that there are only 6 seats up for grabs each round.

Why not take it one step further and instead of giving the greens whatever number of seats corresponds most closely to 3%, actually give them 3% of the voting power in parliament. That is, your power in praliament is not down to haw many bums on seats you ahve, but how many people voted for you. Effectively then there is one 'seat' or vote per person, but they are represented in parliament by whoever they voted for.

The whole idea of seats is just a way to solve a problem that doesn't exist any more - inability to communicate quickly with the people.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 12:04pm

locutius wrote on Oct 8th, 2008 at 11:28am:
I would like to see a proportional voting system. If 3% of the population votes Green as a first preference the Greens hold 3% of the parlimentary seats. etc etc.

Not sure about the mechanics to get this to work. South Aust had a workshop on this many years ago I believe. (heard about it on either ABC or radio national) but have not ever been able to track down the details or conclusions. Anyone???

IMHO, system of parliamentary representation should stay the way it is while HOS can be chosen by a proportional voting system.

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 12:23pm

That doesn't make any sense. A HOS is be definition a single person, so you can't have proportional representation.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 12:32pm

freediver wrote on Oct 8th, 2008 at 12:23pm:
That doesn't make any sense. A HOS is be definition a single person, so you can't have proportional representation.

My wrong.

By First past the post.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 12:37pm

Why do you prefer FPTP?

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 1:01pm

freediver wrote on Oct 8th, 2008 at 12:37pm:
Why do you prefer FPTP?

I prefer FPTP only for HOS because HOS represents state which is a sum of constituencies while parliamentarians represent their constituencies themselves each one individually. In this way there is a balance of interests between say urban and rural interests as well as balance of power between individual (HOS) and and collective (parliamentarians).

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 1:13pm

How does that differentiate FPTP and preferential voting?

IP Logged

Revenant

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 1:25pm

Freediver,

The 6 parties was just a hypothetical number. The point is the election coverage shouldn't be monopolised by two parties. Especially when you consider that they’re both very similar. Democracy should be all about choice, real choice, not the lesser of two evils. Christ, is that the best we can do?  

I'm also a bit unsure about what you think the superior voting system would be. Do you want it run it by me, again?

« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2008 at 1:32pm by Revenant »  

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 1:34pm

freediver wrote on Oct 8th, 2008 at 1:13pm:

As I understand it these are two fundamentally different methods of counting votes. For example let's assume that there are 100 votes and three candidates who get 40 votes for 1, 35 votes for 2 and 25 vote for 3. In non preferential counting method candidate 1 is winner but in preferential system it can happen that candidate 1 gets his 40 and no preferences 2 gets his 35 and no preferences while 3 gets his 25 plus 20 preferences, which makes 3 winner with 45 after preference allocation.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #11 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 1:38pm

The 6 parties was just a hypothetical number.

In that case we already have a very similar system.

The point is the election coverage shouldn't be monopolised by two parties.

Why not, if that's what the people want? A two party system is not necessarily the result of flaws in the democracy. Rather it reflects the will of the people. People put far more faith in political parties as institutions than they do in individual politicians. This has nothing to do with naivite regarding political parties, but reflects the fact that it is much easier to hold institutions accountable and that bring the interests of in institution in line with the public will.

Of course, replacing our system with a first past the post system will give a huge aritificial advantage to the two major parties. But your response to that was 'so be it'. If you really oppose an aritificial two party system, why do you want to go back to FPTP voting?

Democracy should be all about choice, real choice, not the lesser of two evils.

But your system would make it all about the lesser of two evils by effectively reducing choice, or at least punishing people for exercising their choice.

I'm also a bit unsure about what you think the superior system would be. Do you want it run it by me, again?

Preferential voting. That's the current system used to count ballots.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #12 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 1:42pm

it can happen that candidate 1 gets his 40 and no preferences

theoretically possible

2 gets his 35 and no preferences

also theoretically possible, but is mutally exclusive with 1 getting no preferences

while 3 gets his 25 plus 20 preferences

Not possible. 3 would be eliminated in the first round of preference distributions.

which makes 3 winner with 45 after preference allocation

Not possible, as described above, but also because you need at least 50% of the vote to win. That's why preferential voting is so much better. You can only win if the majority prefer you to whoever came second. This makes it more democratic, because it eliminates minority rule.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 1:48pm

freediver wrote on Oct 8th, 2008 at 1:42pm:
it can happen that candidate 1 gets his 40 and no preferences

theoretically possible

2 gets his 35 and no preferences

also theoretically possible, but is mutally exclusive with 1 getting no preferences

while 3 gets his 25 plus 20 preferences

Not possible. 3 would be eliminated in the first round of preference distributions.

which makes 3 winner with 45 after preference allocation

Not possible, as described above, but also because you need at least 50% of the vote to win. That's why preferential voting is so much better. You can only win if the majority prefer you to whoever came second. This makes it more democratic, because it eliminates minority rule.

"but is mutally exclusive with 1 getting no preferences"

Why is it mutually exclusive?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 1:55pm

3 gets eliminated in the first round. Each of his preferences must go to either 1 or 2. Unless of course you use a hybrid FPTP/preferential system (like QLDs 'compulsory optional'preferential voting), in which case it is theoretically possible if no preferences at all are distributed.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #15 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 2:10pm

freediver wrote on Oct 8th, 2008 at 1:55pm:
3 gets eliminated in the first round. Each of his preferences must go to either 1 or 2. Unless of course you use a hybrid FPTP/preferential system (like QLDs 'compulsory optional'preferential voting), in which case it is theoretically possible if no preferences at all are distributed.

For the example I was using a preferential system where nobody gets eliminated till all preferences are counted and allocated.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #16 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 2:21pm

The closest system to that which I can think of is a condorcet system, but your system is still nothing like it. You also said there are two methods, so I would expect you to refer to the two that are actually in use, rather than some obscure method which you made up yourself and which doesn't make any sense at all.

If no-one is eliminated, why are only 20 of 100 preference allocated?

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 2:40pm

freediver wrote on Oct 8th, 2008 at 2:21pm:
The closest system to that which I can think of is a condorcet system, but your system is still nothing like it. You also said there are two methods, so I would expect you to refer to the two that are actually in use, rather than some obscure method which you made up yourself and which doesn't make any sense at all.

If no-one is eliminated, why are only 20 of 100 preference allocated?

The system in my example is purely theoretical and I admit freely that I devised it myself without any reference to real world also it may exist or existed unknown to me.
The criteria for this design was to look at and to compare two opposites, 1-non preferential again 2-preference-at-will that would allow a voter to choose what they want with minimal compulsion. I think everything else is combination of this two.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #18 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 2:53pm

Not really. You are not comparing two opposites, but introducing new an unrelated issues. Your 'preference at will' system seems to allow all 3 candidates to end up with 100% of the vote. I'm only guessing of course, as you seem to be making it up as you go along and describing one potential outcome without explaining how your imaginary system works.

So basically, when you responded to my quesry:

Quote:

You didn't compare FPTP with preferential voting but with a half baked system that doesn't work. How about we just start again?

Why would you prefer FPTP to preferential voting?

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 3:29pm

freediver wrote on Oct 8th, 2008 at 2:53pm:
Not really. You are not comparing two opposites, but introducing new an unrelated issues. Your 'preference at will' system seems to allow all 3 candidates to end up with 100% of the vote. I'm only guessing of course, as you seem to be making it up as you go along and describing one potential outcome without explaining how your imaginary system works.

So basically, when you responded to my quesry:

Quote:

You didn't compare FPTP with preferential voting but with a half baked system that doesn't work. How about we just start again?

Why would you prefer FPTP to preferential voting?

Give me definitions for both so we are sure that we talk about same things.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #20 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 3:33pm

Preferential voting is the system used in Australia to elect MPs. FPTP is the system used in most American states to elect MPs and the winner of the EC votes for each state. However some states are switching from FPTP to preferential voting for certain elections.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 3:46pm

freediver wrote on Oct 8th, 2008 at 3:33pm:
Preferential voting is the system used in Australia to elect MPs. FPTP is the system used in most American states to elect MPs and the winner of the EC votes for each state. However some states are switching from FPTP to preferential voting for certain elections.

That is a bit vague.
Does it mean that FPTP is system where voters can vote only for one candidate and say if there are three candidates and 100 voters closest distribution can be 34-33-33?
Is preferential voting the system where every voter must indicate preferences for all candidates or alternatively a number 1 candidate would do it for them?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #22 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 3:56pm

http://www.ozpolitic.com/electoral-reform/electoral-reform.html#plurality-vs-maj...

http://www.ozpolitic.com/electoral-reform/electoral-reform.html#IRV

http://www.ozpolitic.com/electoral-reform/electoral-reform.html#FPTP-problems

http://www.ozpolitic.com/electoral-reform/electoral-reform.html#IRV-advantages

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preferential_voting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plurality_voting_system

That is a bit vague.

Actually I think you'll find they are very specific about how they count votes.

Does it mean that FPTP is system where voters can vote only for one candidate and say if there are three candidates and 100 voters closest distribution can be 34-33-33?

Yes.

Is preferential voting the system where every voter must indicate preferences for all candidates or alternatively a number 1 candidate would do it for them?

Both are preferential voting. The difference is whether it is compulsory to participate in only the first round of voting or all rounds.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/electoral-reform/optional-preferential-voting.html

IP Logged

Revenant

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 4:18pm

freediver wrote on Oct 8th, 2008 at 1:38pm:
Of course, replacing our system with a first past the post system will give a huge aritificial advantage to the two major parties. But your response to that was 'so be it'. If you really oppose an aritificial two party system, why do you want to go back to FPTP voting?

Democracy should be all about choice, real choice, not the lesser of two evils.

But your system would make it all about the lesser of two evils by effectively reducing choice, or at least punishing people for exercising their choice.

In that case go for the proportional voting system. As  locutius suggested. I think the Greens are in favor of that idea too.  

locutius wrote on Oct 8th, 2008 at 11:28am:

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 5:59pm

freediver wrote on Oct 8th, 2008 at 3:56pm:
http://www.ozpolitic.com/electoral-reform/electoral-reform.html#plurality-vs-maj...

http://www.ozpolitic.com/electoral-reform/electoral-reform.html#IRV

http://www.ozpolitic.com/electoral-reform/electoral-reform.html#FPTP-problems

http://www.ozpolitic.com/electoral-reform/electoral-reform.html#IRV-advantages

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preferential_voting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plurality_voting_system

That is a bit vague.

Actually I think you'll find they are very specific about how they count votes.

Yes.

Both are preferential voting. The difference is whether it is compulsory to participate in only the first round of voting or all rounds.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/electoral-reform/optional-preferential-voting.html

Thanks that is clearer especially FPTP.
For the purpose of discussion lets use definition of PV IRV from wiki:
Quote:
Preferential voting (or preference voting) is a type of ballot structure used in several electoral systems in which voters rank a list or group of candidates in order of preference. For example, the voter may write a '1' beside their first choice, a '2' beside their second preference, and so on.

Quote:
Instant-runoff voting (IRV) is a voting system used for single-winner elections in which voters have one vote and rank candidates in order of preference.

So FPTP is simpler that is an advantage.
PV on another hand is more complicated .
So here we have three candidates: a, b, c
Suppose a voter likes "c" and hates "b" and "a"
In FPTP he votes for "c" and if "c" gets enough votes from other voters "c" gets in else not.

In PV a voter may rank "c" as 1, "a" as 2, "b" as 3 and if "c" gets enough 1s from other voters "c" gets in same as in FPTP

There may be situation when 100 voters allocate their preferences as follows:
"a" gets 33(1),34(2),34(3); "b" gets 33(1),33(2),33(3); "c" gets 34(1),33(2),33(3).

Easier for politicians to confuse voters by creating bogus parties.
IMHO. the simpler the system the easier it is to see the trickery.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #25 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 6:20pm

A bogus party will be far more likely to influence the outcome of an election under FPTP, due to the spoiler effect.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 6:39pm

freediver wrote on Oct 8th, 2008 at 6:20pm:

A bogus party will be far more likely to influence the outcome of an election under FPTP, due to the spoiler effect.

Under PV spoiler effect exist too with preferences redirection on top of it.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #27 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 6:43pm

How can you get a spoiler effect in PV?

Why is preference distribution a bad thing?

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 7:07pm

freediver wrote on Oct 8th, 2008 at 6:43pm:
How can you get a spoiler effect in PV?

Why is preference distribution a bad thing?

The same way it does in FPTP.

It is not a bad thing it is complicated and increase of complication increases confusion.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #29 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 7:11pm

That is not possible. A major advantage of PV over FPTP is the elimination of the spoiler effect.

It is not a bad thing it is complicated and increase of complication increases confusion.

Actually it is less confusing for the voter. The instructions are to rank the candidates in order of preference. There is no motivation for ranking them in any other order. On the other hand, under FPTP, the nominal instructions are to mark your favourite candidate, but it gets confusing because there are competing motivations that lead to different votes and it becomes rational for people to select a candidate who isn't their favourite.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #30 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 7:26pm

freediver wrote on Oct 8th, 2008 at 7:11pm:

That is not possible. A major advantage of PV over FPTP is the elimination of the spoiler effect.

It may reduce it but not eliminate it and only if number of choices is reasonably small but when confusion increases with increase of number of choices beyond ability of average voter to concentrate it may become counter productive.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #31 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 7:28pm

Perhaps you should try to demonstrate with an example.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 7:38pm

freediver wrote on Oct 8th, 2008 at 7:28pm:
Perhaps you should try to demonstrate with an example.

1999 NSW election.

IP Logged

John

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 7:56pm

Optional preferential voting is the best method. That way, people don't have to put in preferences they don't care about, nor does anyone who does value other parties waste their vote.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #34 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 10:18pm

Tallow, what happened in that election?

John, do you think voting should be compulsory?

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 9:38am

freediver wrote on Oct 8th, 2008 at 10:18pm:
Tallow, what happened in that election?

Cleverly calculated abuse of PV system.

"The upper house ballot paper that had 81 groupings and 264 candidates, and measured 1m x 0.7m!"

Antony Green
http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=3359&page=2

Voting Capers (And Some Interesting Trivia)
http://www.thepigsareflying.org/archives/2004/10/voting-capers-a.html

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #36 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 9:40am

So where's the bit about the spoiler effect?

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 9:54am

freediver wrote on Oct 9th, 2008 at 9:40am:
So where's the bit about the spoiler effect?

All over the place.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #38 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 10:02am

freediver wrote on Oct 8th, 2008 at 11:57am:

Why not take it one step further and instead of giving the greens whatever number of seats corresponds most closely to 3%, actually give them 3% of the voting power in parliament. That is, your power in praliament is not down to haw many bums on seats you ahve, but how many people voted for you. Effectively then there is one 'seat' or vote per person, but they are represented in parliament by whoever they voted for.

FD that is a good suggestion. I think the mechanics of that could work quite well.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 10:06am

locutius wrote on Oct 9th, 2008 at 10:02am:
freediver wrote on Oct 8th, 2008 at 11:57am:

FD that is a good suggestion. I think the mechanics of that could work quite well.

It should be conditional that "greens" don't enrol in concrete jungles.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #40 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 10:07am

Tallo, that is not the spoiler effect. You are confusing two separate issues.

Locutius:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/electoral-reform/electoral-reform.html#direct-democracy

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 10:19am

freediver wrote on Oct 9th, 2008 at 10:07am:
Tallo, that is not the spoiler effect. You are confusing two separate issues.

Quote:
The "spoiler effect" is a term to describe the effect a minor party candidate with little chance of winning can have on a close election, in which their candidacy results in the election being won by a candidate dissimilar to them rather than a candidate similar to them by taking votes away from the viable candidate with similar views.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoiler_effect

I am not saying that PV is inherently SE factor but rather that it does not cancel it.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #42 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 10:27am

It is not the spoiler effect. It is a completely different mechanism. It gets the minor party candidate elected rather than a major candidate. It does not lead to the election of a candidate with dissimilar views to the minor party candidate.

Read the rest of the wkikpedia article.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 10:37am

freediver wrote on Oct 9th, 2008 at 10:27am:
It is not the spoiler effect. It is a completely different mechanism. It gets the minor party candidate elected rather than a major candidate. It does not lead to the election of a candidate with dissimilar views to the minor party candidate.

Read the rest of the wkikpedia article.

Sure, it is spoiler effect by different mechanism. Where did I say that FPTP and PV have the same mechanisms?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #44 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 10:38am

It is not the spoiler effect. Not only is it a different mechanism, it is a different effect.

Are we going to have to go through this rubbish every time a new word pops up that you don't understand?

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #45 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 10:43am

freediver wrote on Oct 9th, 2008 at 10:38am:
It is not the spoiler effect. Not only is it a different mechanism, it is a different effect.

Are we going to have to go through this rubbish every time a new word pops up that you don't understand?

Quote:
The "spoiler effect" is a term to describe the effect a minor party candidate with little chance of winning can have on a close election

Exactly what happened in 1999 NSW election.

No, we are free not to do anything so if you don't want to discuss it any further you don't have to.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #46 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 10:44am

The spoiler effect is a specific effect, not any effect a minor candidate can have.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 10:51am

freediver wrote on Oct 9th, 2008 at 10:44am:
The spoiler effect is a specific effect, not any effect a minor candidate can have.

Not so according the definition above.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #48 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 10:53am

Yes it is specific according to the definition you linked to - but obviously not according to the partial definition you pasted. Whoever chose the wording obviously didn't consider the possibility that their audience might include someone like you, otherwise they would have made the entire definition a single sentence.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 11:06am

freediver wrote on Oct 9th, 2008 at 10:53am:
Yes it is specific according to the definition you linked to - but obviously not according to the partial definition you pasted. Whoever chose the wording obviously didn't consider the possibility that their audience might include someone like you, otherwise they would have made the entire definition a single sentence.

Here is the full definition then:
Quote:
The "spoiler effect" is a term to describe the effect a minor party candidate with little chance of winning can have on a close election, in which their candidacy results in the election being won by a candidate dissimilar to them rather than a candidate similar to them by taking votes away from the viable candidate with similar views. The minor candidate is often referred to as a "spoiler." It is a real-life demonstration of the kingmaker scenario.

And it still fits with the historical example of the real world I gave above.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #50 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 11:07am

That is still only a partial definition, but even that partial definition contrdicts your example.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #51 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 11:13am

freediver wrote on Oct 9th, 2008 at 11:07am:
That is still only a partial definition, but even that partial definition contrdicts your example.

Where is full generic definition then and how does this "partial" definition contradict my example?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #52 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 11:19am

This might help you figure it out. I'm not sure why the separated the mechanism and the effect like this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vote_splitting

Also, try this:

http://www.fairvote.org/?page=752

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #53 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 11:38am

freediver wrote on Oct 9th, 2008 at 11:19am:
This might help you figure it out. I'm not sure why the separated the mechanism and the effect like this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vote_splitting

Also, try this:

http://www.fairvote.org/?page=752

That's vote splitting according to the 1st link.
Quote:
Vote splitting is an electoral effect in which the distribution of votes among multiple similar candidates reduces the chance of winning for any of the similar candidates, and increases the chance of winning for a dissimilar candidate.

Then they proceed making conclusions not other definitions. Spoiler effect they have separately anyway.

Even in conclusions that FPTP is susceptible to VS, which can be argued they don't deny that PV can be affected by it as well.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #54 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 11:42am

You should seek to understand the spoiler effect first, then your confusion about where it applies will disappear.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #55 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 11:53am

freediver wrote on Oct 9th, 2008 at 11:42am:
You should seek to understand the spoiler effect first, then your confusion about where it applies will disappear.

Looks like I won the battle as well as campaign.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #56 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 11:56am

Do you think you understand the spoiler effect?

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #57 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 12:01pm

freediver wrote on Oct 9th, 2008 at 11:56am:
Do you think you understand the spoiler effect?

I have demonstrated it above.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #58 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 12:08pm

Vote splitting is the mechanism behind the spoiler effect.

That is why the description of vote splitting is in the wikipedia article on the spoiler effect. Just because they didn't say 'we included this here on this page because it is what causes the spoiler effect' does not mean it isn't so. They just didn't feel the need to state the obvious because they credited their audience with more intelligence.

That is why the separate article on vote splitting says that the spoiler effect is it's well known effect.

Can you explain how the spoiler effect happened in the 1999 NSW election?

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #59 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 12:36pm

freediver wrote on Oct 9th, 2008 at 12:08pm:
Vote splitting is the mechanism behind the spoiler effect.

That is why the description of vote splitting is in the wikipedia article on the spoiler effect. Just because they didn't say 'we included this here on this page because it is what causes the spoiler effect' does not mean it isn't so. They just didn't feel the need to state the obvious because they credited their audience with more intelligence.

That is why the separate article on vote splitting says that the spoiler effect is it's well known effect.

Can you explain how the spoiler effect happened in the 1999 NSW election?

In 1999 NSW election minor party candidates had the SE on the election, in which their candidacy resulted in the election being won by candidates dissimilar to themselves rather than candidates similar to themselves by taking votes away from the viable candidates with similar views.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #60 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 1:02pm

Who were the minor candidates, who were the major ones, and how did the minor candidate affect the outcome?

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #61 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 1:29pm

freediver wrote on Oct 9th, 2008 at 1:02pm:
Who were the minor candidates, who were the major ones, and how did the minor candidate affect the outcome?

There were 264 candidates, you don't expect me to remember them after nearly 10 years do you?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #62 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 1:35pm

So it was the senate election? It sounds to me that you are trying to vastly oversimplify a complex process by labelling it the spoiler effect, because you don't understand what actually went on.

Try explaining it without referring to names then, beyond saying 'the spoiler effect happened'.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #63 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 1:41pm

freediver wrote on Oct 9th, 2008 at 1:35pm:
So it was the senate election? It sounds to me that you are trying to vastly oversimplify a complex process by labelling it the spoiler effect, because you don't understand what actually went on.

Try explaining it without referring to names then, beyond saying 'the spoiler effect happened'.

I gave you links, go and read them before getting yourself in the corner of confusion.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #64 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 1:44pm

But your links do not support your claim.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #65 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 1:52pm

freediver wrote on Oct 9th, 2008 at 1:44pm:
But your links do not support your claim.

How do you know if you did not read them?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #66 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 1:55pm

That, plus the fact that you are unable to explain anything, and are merely insisting that if I read links that don't support your claim I will somehow agree with you.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #67 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 2:05pm

freediver wrote on Oct 9th, 2008 at 1:55pm:
That, plus the fact that you are unable to explain anything, and are merely insisting that if I read links that don't support your claim I will somehow agree with you.

No, your own inability to comprehend is at fault, don't blame me.
As I say before I won the polemic because you started slide to personal accusations instead of concentrating on the subject.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #68 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 2:11pm

You are unable to explain in your own words how the spoiler effect altered the outcome of the election. Your links do not support your claim that it did.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #69 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 2:19pm

freediver wrote on Oct 9th, 2008 at 2:11pm:
You are unable to explain in your own words how the spoiler effect altered the outcome of the election. Your links do not support your claim that it did.

You did not read links so your claim is false more so as I explained it both in my interpretation, without inventing my own words of course, and by linking to authority.

I won, I won Cheesy

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #70 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 2:30pm

I did read your links. They do not support your claim.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #71 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 9:40am

freediver wrote on Oct 9th, 2008 at 2:30pm:
I did read your links. They do not support your claim.

Few posts above you said that you did not read them so if you looked at them later it was in a hurry and with great deal of prejudice. Therefore your claim is false. Furthermore I reckon you don't even know what my claim is judging by your luck of attention to details and inability to comprehend a text.

So here it is again:
I claim that PV system does not guarantee  100% protection against spoiler effect.  If you believe it can prove it beyond any reasonable doubt.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #72 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 10:33am

Few posts above you said that you did not read them

No I didn't.

Trying to prove it would involve introducing a number of other terms, each of which I would have to spend a few pages of pointless argument trying to get you to understand.

Not that there is any need. Your inability to explain how the spoiler effect altered the outcome of the 1999 NSW election (as you did actually claim) is more than enough for me.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #73 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 11:25am

freediver wrote on Oct 10th, 2008 at 10:33am:
Few posts above you said that you did not read them

No I didn't.

Trying to prove it would involve introducing a number of other terms, each of which I would have to spend a few pages of pointless argument trying to get you to understand.

Not that there is any need. Your inability to explain how the spoiler effect altered the outcome of the 1999 NSW election (as you did actually claim) is more than enough for me.

Yes you did. When I wrote “How do you know if you did not read them?” you replied “That, plus…”

But that is just a minor insignificant issue. Your refusal to prove your point shows that you know that it isn’t possible. Lame excuse about “I would have to spend a few pages of pointless argument…” paints you further into loser’s corner.

So, all your argumentation errors above make me the winner of the discussion.

Now, if you wish “to spend a few pages of pointless argument” trying to deny that and involuntary proving that I am right “go ahead, make my day”. I will enjoy it. Wink

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #74 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 4:25pm

A minor candidate will get eliminated at some stage. To the extent that they are similar to another major candidate, the people who voted for the minor candidate will rank that major candidate above more dissimilar ones. So the votes will go to that major candidate before he gets eliminated, rather than to a candidate with dissimilar views. Hence preferential voting cannot lead to a minor candidate causing the election of a dissimilar major candidate.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #75 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 9:00pm

freediver wrote on Oct 10th, 2008 at 4:25pm:
A minor candidate will get eliminated at some stage. To the extent that they are similar to another major candidate, the people who voted for the minor candidate will rank that major candidate above more dissimilar ones. So the votes will go to that major candidate before he gets eliminated, rather than to a candidate with dissimilar views. Hence preferential voting cannot lead to a minor candidate causing the election of a dissimilar major candidate.

That's the theory and like any theory it holds true for certain set of conditions or to be more specific in this case when voter is not confused. However when number of minor parties reaches critical proportion like it was in 1999 NSW election a voter's mental concentration breaks down and his/her action become random rather then purposeful. That is well known psychological effect. BTW, golden rule of web page design is to never exceed 12 meaningful objects on one page if you want to keep user's attention comes from the same psychological phenomenon.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #76 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 9:49pm

This psychological phenomenon, is it called the spoiler effect?

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #77 - Oct 10th, 2008 at 10:57pm

freediver wrote on Oct 10th, 2008 at 9:49pm:
This psychological phenomenon, is it called the spoiler effect?

No and it isn't called FPTP either just as PV isn't called guarantee against the spoiler effect.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print