Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Go you old thing (Read 16745 times)
Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Go you old thing
May 17th, 2008 at 5:59am

Do we really need pensioners to be taking off their shirts to let us know that something is out of whack here?

The old people have done their bit (and more) in their time, and us pea hearted slaves and greedy imports just go along with the political repertoire that they are acting like children. Well they are not children; they would like to be treated at least as well as the import taxi drivers that took their protest to the streets.

What a hopeless and pathetic generation they have spawned.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Re: Go you old thing
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2008 at 8:18am

On ya maddy, I agree that pensioners deserve a better deal.

I feel that many are just unable to cope with the bureaucratic maze, which they need to negotiate to receive all entitlements.

We see many who can play the system like a maestro, and others who cannot, unfortunately they dip out.

Simplify and improve.
Making things work simply, is one of the most difficult things to achieve.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - May 17th, 2008 at 9:21am

Good to see people are still willing to hit the streets and protest, even if it is just about self interest.

So how much free money from the government do pensioners get?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #3 - May 17th, 2008 at 3:15pm

freediver wrote on May 17th, 2008 at 9:21am:
Good to see people are still willing to hit the streets and protest, even if it is just about self interest.

Age Pensioners get about $270 a week.  I wouldn't call it free money, most of them paid taxes all their working lives and superannuation was almost unknown when they were in the workforce.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #4 - May 17th, 2008 at 3:36pm

freediver wrote on May 17th, 2008 at 9:21am:

I guess this means you eschew any government grants, pensions etc?

These dudes grew up knowing that they would receive a pension for the effort they put in and probably paid their share willingly.

It's pretty offensive to call it 'free money' as they contributed their fair share in preparation for their entitlement.

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #5 - May 17th, 2008 at 4:43pm

deepthought wrote on May 17th, 2008 at 3:36pm:
[

I guess this means you eschew any government grants, pensions etc?

These dudes grew up knowing that they would receive a pension for the effort they put in and probably paid their share willingly.

It's pretty offensive to call it 'free money' as they contributed their fair share in preparation for their entitlement.

Most of the elderly that I know get a War Widow's Pension and own their own homes.  They would be more than offended if they thought people like Freediver considered their pittance "free money".

Perhaps Freediver's oldies are still working to pay off the Mortgage?

People who are currently entitled to the Age Pension were born either before WW2 or during it.

Babyboomers are those born from about 1950-1960, so in the 58-48 age group and most would have been entitled to superannuation for most of their working lives to save for their retirement.  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - May 17th, 2008 at 5:11pm

$270 per week is a lot of money. How much is it getting reduced to?

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #7 - May 17th, 2008 at 5:16pm

freediver wrote on May 17th, 2008 at 5:11pm:
$270 per week is a lot of money. How much is it getting reduced to?

You are wasting your talent running a Forum, mate.  You should be a stand up comedian.  Grin

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #8 - May 17th, 2008 at 9:14pm

$270 per week is a lot of money.

Yes, it will pay your rent and . . .

Oh well, it will pay your rent anyway.

IP Logged

athiest
Ex Member

Reply #9 - May 18th, 2008 at 10:46am

deepthought wrote on May 17th, 2008 at 9:14pm:
$270 per week is a lot of money.

Yes, it will pay your rent and . . .

Oh well, it will pay your rent anyway.

The pension is too low it should be twice that amount and I think that Rudd should have given them a rise, but how do you address the issue? I mean they really need a serious rise . All that said its interesting to see the Liberals and all their huggers comming out and whinging about it, they had twelve years to improve the conditions for pensioners and failed .

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - May 18th, 2008 at 10:46am

Am I right that the pension hasn't been reduced - they were just protesting that it hasn't been increased? Isn't this just like the Unions asking for higher wages to 'deal with' inflation?

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #11 - May 18th, 2008 at 1:01pm

freediver wrote on May 18th, 2008 at 10:46am:
Am I right that the pension hasn't been reduced - they were just protesting that it hasn't been increased? Isn't this just like the Unions asking for higher wages to 'deal with' inflation?

If you understood economics you would understand that by not increasing it, it is being reduced.  Since the Liebor government started buggering Australia costs have blown out with all utilities and basics rising at a level not seen for more than a decade, fuel is at record prices and interest rates are where they were when Cheating had everyone by the balls.

Yet the pension did not increase.  Even more deliberately cruel was that when Cardboard Kev slashed the seniors bonus then caved in to public pressure and reinstated it he promised to make it a part of forward estimates.  He did not do that.  He broke his promise to seniors. 

And he rattled on about 'working families' until everyone threw up but not once did he bother to mention pensioners.  In fact he gave 'working families' a tax cut and an increase in the tax threshold but he did not do the same for pensioners who pay tax on earned income from interest.

Further to that by shifting the income threshold on the medicare income levy he encouraged hundreds of thousands to abandon private health which will cause the premiums to rise.  People on fixed incomes (read pensioners) will get hit the hardest by rises in private health.

So I suggest a look at the big picture mate.  As a leftard your focus is, as always, too narrow.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #12 - May 18th, 2008 at 1:57pm

In fact he gave 'working families' a tax cut and an increase in the tax threshold but he did not do the same for pensioners who pay tax on earned income from interest.

Almost everyone got an income tax cut, including pensioners, if they were paying any.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #13 - May 18th, 2008 at 2:08pm

freediver wrote on May 18th, 2008 at 1:57pm:
In fact he gave 'working families' a tax cut and an increase in the tax threshold but he did not do the same for pensioners who pay tax on earned income from interest.

Almost everyone got an income tax cut, including pensioners, if they were paying any.

Yes, almost everyone did.  "But he did not do the same for pensioners who pay tax on earned income from interest".

Why is it necessary to say it twice before you hear it?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - May 18th, 2008 at 2:12pm

Are you talking about super, or interest earned from other sources. If from other sources, it would be treated just like any other income and receive the same tax breaks.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print