Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Pub owner fined $5,000 for discrimination (Read 7492 times)
mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Pub owner fined $5,000 for discrimination
Jun 20th, 2007 at 9:46am

I couldn't find the original thread for this - sorry.

Quote:
A MAORI who sued one of Sydney's most popular pubs and its bouncers after he was denied entry because of his racial background has been awarded a $5000 payout.

Scruffy Murphy's was yesterday ordered to pay New Zealander Marcellus Cook $2500 in damages for banning him under its race exclusion policy, which applied to people of Middle Eastern and Pacific Islander appearance who were not known to the pub

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21933975-5005941,00.html

Yes this is OK if the same standards apply to everyone, but recently a gay nightclub in Sydney was legally given the right to ban straight people and females from their premises.

I believe that a privately owned establishment has the right to ban anyone they want - but if one bar can discriminate then so can another.  Both clubs had valid reasons for their discrimination.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Re: Pub owner fined $5,000 for discrimination
Reply #1 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 10:58am

Hi Mantra,

Im not sure about this. Sounds like a story a few weeks back whereas an owner descriminated against maurios because he belived they were brawlers and genarally bought trouble to his establishment.

The gay nightclub thing is wrong..this should not be acceptable, its blatant descrimination based on gender and sexual prefernce.

Racial descrimination is a fact and pple  will be judged by appearance..wether you be Ind. Maroi and this climate Muslim appearance.

Not much we can do about nightclub/bar owners who allow theyre own biases drive theyre decisions.

In some cases they do have legitimate concern..in relation to brawling etc..but geneder issues are non issues.

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

AusNat
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 12:41pm

Can we have pubs where poofs are not allowed?

Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 3:08pm

I wonder how the security for the gay nightclub tests prospective patrons as to wether or not they are gay ?

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Classic Liberal
Gold Member

OzPolitic

sydney
Reply #4 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 4:04pm

if its your place you should be able to let who ever you want in and keep who ever you want out.

if i am allowed to not let whoever i like in my home, i am allowed to let whoever i like in my pub damnit.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #5 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 4:30pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 20th, 2007 at 3:08pm:
I wonder how the security for the gay nightclub tests prospective patrons as to wether or not they are gay ?

maybe its all in the look, the eyes..maybe they are 'wearing' gaydar?

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

AusNat
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 5:10pm

Quote:
if i am allowed to not let whoever i like in my home, i am allowed to let whoever i like in my pub damnit.

''If i can chose whom i wish to enter my home, then why cant i choose who comes into my country.''

Pauline Hanson 1996.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #7 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 7:25pm

That's the line Howard stole - "we will decide who comes to this country". 

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Reply #8 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 7:36pm

Quote:
That's the line Howard stole - "we will decide who comes to this country". 

Howard stole everything from One Nation.... the little prick. First he criticizes them then he steals their policies. That's why I hope he gets trounced in the election.

Quote:
A MAORI who sued one of Sydney's most popular pubs and its bouncers after he was denied entry because of his racial background has been awarded a $5000 payout.

Scruffy Murphy's was yesterday ordered to pay New Zealander Marcellus Cook $2500 in damages for banning him under its race exclusion policy, which applied to people of Middle Eastern and Pacific Islander appearance who were not known to the pub

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21933975-5005941,00.html

What a bunch of whining @ssholes the minorites of this nation are. No wonder they're so hated.

Can anyone in here honestly say that if they were discriminated because of their European appearance they'd sue the basterds?  Roll Eyes

No... as honourable people witha bit of pride in ourselves... we'd turn the other cheek and go to another pub, wouldn't we?

It just shows what a weak little self-hating front bottom this 'compensated' guy is.

Whether I hate Jews, Muslims, Gypsies, dogs, cats, birds, people who wear red, anything... you should be able to let whoever the hell you want into the pub as long as you own it...

Business is business... and if the pub owner finds it in his personal interest to ban islanders whether it contributes to his business or not... it should be allowed.

This ruling is a disgrace and just shows how ridiculous these discrimination laws are.

Quote:
Tolerance is the virtue of men who no longer believe in anything
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

AusNat
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 7:54pm

Quote:
Howard stole everything from One Nation.... the little prick. First he criticizes them then he steals their policies. That's why I hope he gets trounced in the election.

Yep, two faced.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 8:50pm

The old thread:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1178152088

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/thread-list/topic.html#so

Yes this is OK if the same standards apply to everyone, but recently a gay nightclub in Sydney was legally given the right to ban straight people and females from their premises.

Neither of those were based on race, and the pub had a reasonable ground to exclude those people. There are many places set aside for women only.

Both clubs had valid reasons for their discrimination.

Racism is not a valid reason. All straight people are not gay. All women are not men. Not all maoris are problem drinkers.

In practice there are plenty. This is why the reverse discrimination is acceptable. If gay people could feel comfortable in mixed settings there would be no need to exclude straight people.

Remember, if you really wanted to get in, you can get in. You cannot tell if someone is gay by looking at them.

Howard stole everything from One Nation.... the little prick.

That's how it works with minor parties. Trust me, you wouldn't want Pauline actually running the place. The useful ideas she had were adopted, the stupid ones were ignored. They're the ones she was left with. You will get the changes you want far more quickly by getting the major parties to adopt them. It is a good thing.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

AusNat
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 9:18pm

Quote:

In practice there are plenty. This is why the reverse discrimination is acceptable. If gay people could feel comfortable in mixed settings there would be no need to exclude straight people.

What so there are some pubs which IN WRITING say  NO  POOFTERS?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #12 - Jun 21st, 2007 at 2:46pm

What so there are some pubs which IN WRITING say  NO  POOFTERS?

Sure, some do, but beating them up usually works better.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #13 - Jun 24th, 2007 at 2:37pm

This is the sort of backwards approach that lead the gay nightclud proposal to be accepted. Imagine if women started stabbing every man who tried to come on to hard.

http://ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1182568702

Poofs would probably try and pick me up....... they'll have to get dentures afterwards though.

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Reply #14 - Jun 24th, 2007 at 6:05pm

freediver wrote on Jun 24th, 2007 at 2:37pm:
This is the sort of backwards approach that lead the gay nightclud proposal to be accepted. Imagine if women started stabbing every man who tried to come on to hard.

http://ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1182568702

Poofs would probably try and pick me up....... they'll have to get dentures afterwards though.

Freediver... who cares if they don'twant straight people in the bar? Good on them. Same thing goes for people who don't want Islanders/Maoris in their pubs... who cares? It's the businesses loss and if they lose business as a result it's their own fault. The Government or law shouldn't get involved with whom they decide to let into their pubs.

Numerous gay guys have hit on me... I serioulsy felt like breaking their teeth... because being polite about it doesn't seem to be getting through to them... they'll continue doing it until we show them we don't like them doing it.

Quote:
Tolerance is the virtue of men who no longer believe in anything
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print