Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Freedom of speech & Political correctness. (Read 4398 times)
Aussie Nationalist
Ex Member

Freedom of speech & Political correctness.
Mar 21st, 2007 at 12:06pm

C'mon fellas, Speak freely.

Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Freedom of speech & Political correctness.
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 12:10pm

Each have their place.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

sprintcyclist
Ex Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 4:15pm

"I don't agree with a word you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
Voltaire

Political correctness is lying nicely

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

auzgurl
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 5:28pm

sprint well said......................  Smiley

IP Logged

auzgurl
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 5:31pm

This has to raise the question of Liberals Sedition laws..................letds discuss that shall we?

Anyone boned up on this topic?

Ill go find a bone shall I?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 5:53pm

In my opinion political correctness is mostly about using inclusive language. It is reasonable to expect politicans and those in positions of public authority to tow the line on this, as society has a lot to lose if people inadvertantly use discriminatory language. Children pick up on this and while they may see through it one day, by then it is too late and society has often already missed out on potentially valuable contributions. We are burdened with many cultural habits from our past that are undermining our society in the present, and without the PC movement it would have taken us a lot longer to recognise and dismantle them.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #6 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 9:28pm

Quote:
We are burdened with many cultural habits from our past that are undermining our society in the present, and without the PC movement it would have taken us a lot longer to recognise and dismantle them.

Good point freediver - I agree.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Indon student jailed over terror website
Reply #7 - Jun 21st, 2007 at 1:03pm

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21939488-1702,00.html

AN Indonesian court has jailed a student for three years for setting up a website that encouraged Indonesians to carry out terrorist attacks against foreigners, reports said.

Prosecutors at Semarang Central Court had asked for an eight-year term for Agung Prabowo, 24, who was found guilty of creating the site also used by extremists to communicate with each other in 2005, Elshinta radio reported.

Prabowo created the website with Abdul Aziz, before Aziz was convicted for his role in the 2005 Bali bombings that killed 20 people, including four Australians, plus the three suicide attackers.

On Monday, the same court sentenced Agung Setyadi to six years' imprisonment for sending a laptop to Imam Samudra, one of three Indonesians on death row for carrying out the 2002 Bali bombings, which left 202 people dead, including 88 Australians.

Prison warden Benny Irawan received a five-year sentence for passing it to him.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Jun 21st, 2007 at 3:22pm

I would have liked to see the death penalty for that, but at least there is some penalty.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Classic Liberal
Gold Member

OzPolitic

sydney
Reply #9 - Jun 21st, 2007 at 4:48pm

you cannot have a pc nation and a free speech nation, its one or the other.

the choice then is obvious.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Nathan Rees uses rude word
Reply #10 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 8:12pm

I may have said 'kiddie fiddler': NSW MP

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/I-may-have-said-kiddie-fiddler-NSW-MP/2007/06/28/1182624068621.html

NSW minister Nathan Rees admits he may have used the term "kiddie fiddler" while meeting with a task force established to investigate child abuse in indigenous communities.

The NSW opposition on Thursday used parliamentary question time to ask Mr Rees, the emergency services minister, if he had "dismissively" said to the task force "so now we're worried about kiddie fiddlers are we?".

Opposition planning spokesman Brad Hazzard accused Mr Rees of making the remark when he was chief of staff to former Aboriginal affairs minister Milton Orkopoulos.

Mr Rees said he did not know which meeting Mr Hazzard was referring to, saying he was involved in many meetings on the issue, but said he was "sickened by the stories he heard".

"I may well have used colloquial language from time to time including the term referred to," Mr Rees told parliament.

Mr Rees said it was a man's nature to "speak directly" about the "despicable animals" who prey on small children.

US civil rights group buries racist word

http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/US-civil-rights-group-buries-racist-word/2007/07/10/1183833467933.html

Hundreds of onlookers cheered on Monday as a leading civil rights group in the US put to rest a longstanding expression of racism by symbolically burying a racist slur generally referred to as the "N-word".

Delegates from across the country gathered during the annual convention of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) in Detroit and marched about 400 metres for the ceremony and rally. Along the way, two Percheron horses pulled a pine box adorned with a bouquet of fake black roses.

The group has been campaigning against the casual use of the word "black person", sometimes referred to as the "N-word" because of its painful history as a racist epithet intertwined with slavery in America.

Mainstream African-Americans are particularly offended that many rap musicians use it in lyrics, which has revived it in American slang.

"Today we're not just burying the N-word, we're taking it out of our spirit," said Detroit mayor Kwame Kilpatrick. "We gather burying all the things that go with the N-word."

Public discussion on the word's use increased last year following a tirade by Seinfeld actor Michael "Kramer" Richards, who used it repeatedly during a Los Angeles comedy routine and later issued a public apology.

The issue about racially insensitive remarks heated up earlier this year after radio talk show host Don Imus described black members of the Rutgers University women's basketball team as "nappy-headed hos" on April 4.

Nappy is a derogatory reference to the matted and uncombed hair of some black people and "ho" is slang for "whore".
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2007 at 10:34am by freediver »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print