Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sin, confession, repentance and Paris Hilton   (Read 2326 times)
Sprintcyclist

OzPolitic

Sin, confession, repentance and Paris Hilton  
May 10th, 2007 at 2:52pm

Paris committed the sin of breaking the laws of ther country she was in and endangering lives.
She is guilty, she did it.  Althought being warned twice.

Initially it was everyones fault but hers. Her publicist admitted she adviced Paris incorrectly. 
Paris's said her signature on the suspension notice was of little significance as she "signs every bit of paper that comes her way."      Next it was that she was too pretty for jail.

Today, she repented. She was guilty and it was dangerous to others she said.
"I'm very sorry, and from now on I'm going to pay complete attention to everything.
I'm sorry, and I did not do it on purpose at all."

Good on her for accepting her guilt and repenting.
Who knows, she may become a celebrity for others to positively emulate.

For my part, she is not a criminal. I feel she is (was) immature and inconsiderate.
Assuming her confession is genuine a jail sentence may not be helpful.
Something like an ENORMOUS fine ($20,000,000) and a LONG period for good behaviour.
Perhaps some charity work for others less fortunate than her.

It would save society the money for her incarcaration, she has repented genuinely I believe, she will be under a longer period of "observation", she may well become a different person by giving to others, society would gain the $20,000,000.

"The expert in the law replied, "The one who had mercy on him."
     Jesus told him, "Go and do likewise."
Luke 10:37

Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

I like fish
Re: Sin, confession, repentance and Paris Hilton  
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2007 at 2:59pm

I get the impression she is very media savvy. She has made a fortune by turning her life into a soap opera. This is part of it. For her, a huge fine would not hit home the same way that doing time would. For most people losing that much money means losing a lot of freedom, but not for her.

Honest criticism is hard to take, particularly from a relative, a friend, an acquaintance, or a stranger - Franklin P. Jones
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - May 11th, 2007 at 2:55pm

hhhmm, I thought she was just a spoilt immature rich girl. 1/2 her luck !!
It is the media and magazines that has bought her into the limelight.
The media find she makes good magazine covers, I doubt she courts their attention.  They follow her.

No, losing $20 million is not an option for me. I don't have it to lose !!
Locking her up would not "help" her. It would only cost society the price of her incarceration.
Suppose an excessive fine could be levied and given to a number of charities.
It would be a huge relief for her and help the charities.

Sure, there is the law. Should it be tempered with mercy and compassion ?
Could it also be "flexible" ? Should it's goal be for the best outcome.
Fortunately in this case noone was injured.  There is no victim.

Her money and age has probably given her a disregard for "society norms". 
She does not live in the normal society. She has possibly rarely been corrected or proved wrong. Recent years she has been always "right" in the media. She lives a different life to the most of us.
Money and fame must be difficult to live with.

In some ways, when I was broke it was better for me. lately I have had a few $ to throw around and have been drinking too much. Had I not had a few $ I would not be able to over drink.

The pressures on her and her situation is immensely more extreme than mine. 
For all her antics, she has not harmed anyone.

She has repented, hers is a very rare case. Can the legal system come up with a rare solution ?

Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

I like fish
Reply #3 - May 11th, 2007 at 3:33pm

The problem with fining her and donating money to charity is that it sends the message that she can buy her way out of problems. When she runs over and kills a kid because she hasn't learnt a lesson the money she donated won't seem that important.

Anyone facing jail will repent. It is naive to think that you can then just let them go and they will have learnt their lesson. Especially if they are a professional actor.

'The media' did not invent her. She invented herself and 'sold' her image as a potential money maker to the media. She isn't just some kid they found on the street and then built a career for. There are plenty of spoilt, pretty brats out there. Only Paris has managed to make money out it.

Honest criticism is hard to take, particularly from a relative, a friend, an acquaintance, or a stranger - Franklin P. Jones
IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #4 - May 11th, 2007 at 3:44pm

She thought she could get away with it because of her image.  She is a role model for so many young women and she needs to learn a lesson.

Jail is very harsh, but her family will no doubt buy her a comfortable room with privileges.  The Judge would have been better off sentencing her to a reasonable amount of time doing community service.

A few months working in soup kitchens, nursing homes and homeless shelters would make her think twice about her self satisfying, out of control lifestyle.

IP Logged

JJJ(Guest)

Reply #5 - May 11th, 2007 at 3:56pm

just saw in the news, Paris Hilton can get off in three weeks for good behaviour.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print