Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: Aussie converts- What to do.

« Last Modified by: DILLIGAF on: Mar 22nd, 2007 at 6:21pm »

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13
Send Topic Print
The Great Muslim Debate (Read 44636 times)
zoso
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: The Great Muslim Debate
Reply #120 - Apr 13th, 2007 at 1:36pm

freediver wrote on Apr 13th, 2007 at 4:24am:
I strongly disagree with this. See the other thread I just started. It is always a matter of freedom.

Telling me about your religion is freedom of expression. Using your story to try to convice me your religion is what I should follow is also freedom of expression.

Making attempts to change my world view using anything other than reasoned argument is not freedom of expression. By this I mean derision, insult, aggression, humiliation, passing laws based on arguments of faith etc.

Quote:
Whether it is disrespectful is very open to interpretation and depends on how it is done. Furthermore, respect is a very grey area when it comes to law or any other type of policy.

This is EXACTLY what I have been saying  Roll Eyes  without at least ATTEMPTING to understand the other person you will always be at a loss as to what they react to and how...
The way in which pender was going about it is simply disrespectful, the way in which sprint approaches it however is fine, there is a clear distinction between the two approaches.
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2007 at 2:11pm by zoso »  

IP Logged

talkingtothemoon

OzPolitic

Reply #121 - Apr 16th, 2007 at 11:24pm

My 2 cents on the Muslim problem ...

* Stop Muslim immigration

INTEGRATION

* Visual integration (get rid of all the "marks of separation" that reinforce the march of Islam i.e. headscarfs, veils, Muslim beards, bedsheet couture, mosque architecture). We need to relegate Islam to the status of other religions i.e. an invisible personal faith. With an invisible and ill-defined community, the jihadists will have less encouragement. Expand it to other religions too - ban overt displays of religion. And foreign appearance freaks people out too (with respect to the beauty of each within its own kind), particularly the elderley - they often find it tiring to deal with diversity.

* Linguistic integration (no foreign languages spoken in public, written on shops, disseminated in public service material, no foreign music). Language is another "mark of separation". And I think there is something about the Arab language that is uniquely irritating and incompatible to English-speaking folk - the sounds are nauseating (with respect to the beauty of each within its own kind). Give the folks some years notice before enforcement.

The above two points might only need to be enforced for people born after the date the legislation is enforced. So if Muslims want to have kids, they'll know the strict rules they will be born into. But maybe let the old folk keep their garb and language until they die out.

* Conceptual integration (ban parts of the Koran that preach hate, violence, sharia, etc).

Basically, Australians want Muslims to get the hell out of their face (visual integration), speak our language, and knock-off the hatred and takeover-mentality.

SEPARATION

* If integration proves impossible due to their exploding population, no-go zones, and violence, then we have to separate ourselves from Islam somehow. So pay them to leave, ban them from having kids, whatever it takes to compassionately halt their numbers.

There is no way mutliculturalism will work, it will just drive the wedge between us even further. Invisible Islam, or no Islam.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #122 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 9:31am

We need to relegate Islam to the status of other religions i.e. an invisible personal faith.

Othe religions are not invisible personal faiths. It's just that you are more familiar with them. They are 'hiding in plain sight'.

With an invisible and ill-defined community, the jihadists will have less encouragement.

I don't think so. Extremists get more foothold in fragmented societies.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

zoso
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #123 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 2:55pm

Quote:
* Visual integration (get rid of all the "marks of separation" that reinforce the march of Islam i.e. headscarfs, veils, Muslim beards, bedsheet couture, mosque architecture). We need to relegate Islam to the status of other religions i.e. an invisible personal faith. With an invisible and ill-defined community, the jihadists will have less encouragement. Expand it to other religions too - ban overt displays of religion. And foreign appearance freaks people out too (with respect to the beauty of each within its own kind), particularly the elderley - they often find it tiring to deal with diversity. 

How do you say people cannot grow beards or not wear headscarfes? I have a beard and my girlfriend likes to wear head scarfes from time to time? Who is to say what we can or cannot wear or how we shave or keep our hair?

The only way I see to achieve what you describe here is to deny rights to people based on their faith, how do you define that? How do you stop it just going underground? Most of all, do you want to live in that kind of society because it doesn't sound very Australian to me?

You may be right about language, english should be learned, but I do find it interesting the way in which Australians are so vehemently opposed to non english languages, in so many other countries, including our Euro-centric cousins in Canada and most of Europe, skill in multiple languages is not frowned upon like it is here, quite the opposite?

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #124 - Apr 20th, 2007 at 1:49pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Mar 22nd, 2007 at 1:22pm:
Hi zoso - under that search I found basically only muslims being suicide bombers.  which is what i see in the news/net/anywhere.

The recent history of suicide bombing is that Islamists have copied the idea from the LTTE in Sri Lanka, where it was used extensively.  The Tamil Tigers used it spectacularly to kill the PMs of India and Sri Lanka and have also blown up numerous Sinalese.   The Islamist use of the tactic is only a comparative recent invention and runs counter to most Islamic teachings which hold that suicide is a sin.

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #125 - Apr 20th, 2007 at 1:52pm

talkingtothemoon wrote on Apr 16th, 2007 at 11:24pm:
My 2 cents on the Muslim problem ...

* Stop Muslim immigration

INTEGRATION

* Linguistic integration (no foreign languages spoken in public, written on shops, disseminated in public service material, no foreign music). Language is another "mark of separation". And I think there is something about the Arab language that is uniquely irritating and incompatible to English-speaking folk - the sounds are nauseating (with respect to the beauty of each within its own kind). Give the folks some years notice before enforcement.

The above two points might only need to be enforced for people born after the date the legislation is enforced. So if Muslims want to have kids, they'll know the strict rules they will be born into. But maybe let the old folk keep their garb and language until they die out.

* Conceptual integration (ban parts of the Koran that preach hate, violence, sharia, etc).

Basically, Australians want Muslims to get the hell out of their face (visual integration), speak our language, and knock-off the hatred and takeover-mentality.

SEPARATION

* If integration proves impossible due to their exploding population, no-go zones, and violence, then we have to separate ourselves from Islam somehow. So pay them to leave, ban them from having kids, whatever it takes to compassionately halt their numbers.

There is no way mutliculturalism will work, it will just drive the wedge between us even further. Invisible Islam, or no Islam.

How is this different compared to what the Nazis did to the Jews?

How is it different from what the Chinese government has attempted in Tibet?

Are you aware that the Federal Government cannot make laws governing religious belief according to the Constitution.  What you're proposing would be struck down by the High Court on that basis.   Are you proposing a referendum?  Do you seriously believe such a proposal would pass under the referendum rules for Constitutional change?

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

enviro

Taking Out The Trash

Weethalle NSW
Reply #126 - Apr 24th, 2007 at 7:10pm

I think you will find that people aren't really anti muslim, they are anti lebanese but are unable to distinguish the difference.

I have recently learnt that Iran are full of Persians, not Arabs. So, this means we don't have to hate Arabs anymore because it's the Persians that support Islam.

Overal it is all too confusing so i will just continue to treat people as individuals and hate you all equally.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #127 - Apr 24th, 2007 at 10:08pm

Hi zoso, Brian and enviro,

essentially all the terrorist acts are by muslims.
It is against other muslims and against nonmuslims, against everyone who does not submit to their personal belief.
hey - that is what is stated to do in the koran! Also what mohammad did himself.
They follow ishmael of the old testament, he makes "interesting" reading to say the least .

is a pity, the muslims I know are "normal", but the religion is intolerant, sexist and violent to the extreme.
maybe they would change if their numbers were in superiority ?

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #128 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 10:36am

essentially all the terrorist acts are by muslims.

That is only a very recent trend, and is not completely true even now.

Muslim veil allowed in UK courts: judges

http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/Muslim-veil-allowed-in-UK-courts-judges/2007/04/25/1177180691369.html

Muslim women should be allowed to wear the veil in British courts, senior judges said.

Muslim women should be permitted to wear the full facial covering, known as the niqab, as long as it does not interfere with the administration of justice, the Judicial Studies Board's Equal Treatment Advisory Committee said.

Such decisions, however, should be made on a case-by-case basis, the committee said.

The guidance was issued after an immigration judge adjourned a case in Stoke-on-Trent, central England, in November because he could not hear a Muslim lawyer who refused to remove her veil. The case resumed after her firm sent another lawyer to represent her client in court.

Judges should not automatically assume a victim appearing in court wearing the niqab creates problems, the committee said. Nor should they assume it is inappropriate for a woman to testify wearing the full veil, it said.

The issue of face-covering veils has stoked debate over religious tolerance and cultural assimilation in Britain, which is home to 1.6 million Muslims.
« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2007 at 11:55am by freediver »  

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Reply #129 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 3:51pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Apr 24th, 2007 at 10:08pm:
is a pity, the muslims I know are "normal", but the religion is intolerant, sexist and violent to the extreme.
maybe they would change if their numbers were in superiority ?

I'll tell you right now... they would DEFINITELY change if they were the majority. You seem pretty educated when it comes to Muslims and the quran. sprint. Can't you see a pattern emerging throughout the world between what Muslims do and the actual religion they practice?

I think it's very nieve, especially those who are peace loving and under-educated on Islam, to dismiss it as 'hate-mongering' and 'racism' to want this religion out of Australia. There's definitely a pattern between violence and Islam throughout the world.

The only reason the ones that you know are peaceful... is because they know if they open their mouths in a society full of Aussies, they know something bad will happen to them. Basically they're saving their own arses and biding their time... As soon as they get the chance... and form a majority... they will try and convert us all through force and intimidation.

Quote:
Tolerance is the virtue of men who no longer believe in anything
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

enviro

Taking Out The Trash

Weethalle NSW
Reply #130 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 3:58pm

If you want to fight the Muslims fight it with Christianity and Christian ideals. Evil people will still join the Muslim clan but how can we ever have armegedon if there are no muslims?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #131 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 4:01pm

DT history does not support your views. The more violent aspects of Islam have only emerged relatively recently.

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Reply #132 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 4:09pm

freediver wrote on Apr 25th, 2007 at 4:01pm:
DT history does not support your views. The more violent aspects of Islam have only emerged relatively recently.

Are you up to date on Middle Eastern history, Freediver?

Quote:
Tolerance is the virtue of men who no longer believe in anything
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #133 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 11:34am

Are you lot sure you aren't mistaking "Muslims" for "Islamists"?

The overwhelming majority of Muslims are moderate.  It is the Islamists who are seeking to use Terrorism to further their ends.  They are a subset of Muslims who hold an extremist fundamentalist viewpoint which is opposed bitterly to modernity within their religion.  It is the reason why they spend a great deal more time and effort attacking their co-religionists, rather than killing Westerners.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #134 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 4:24pm

Hi brian, enviro, freediver and DT

Brian - yes, the nazis and chinese have done "bad" things too. Does not justify any more "bad" things to happen.

enviro - that is very equitable of you - to hate us all evenly. makes me feel all warm  Smiley Smiley Smiley

freediver - mohammad mass murdered jews for not converting to islam, so "terrorism" for islam has been around since mohammad.

Dt - yes, I do see direct correlations between what terrorsts are doing now and what is written in the koran.
A few remembered spot quotes illustrate this -  "Make islam domiant over all other religions", "kill all the jews and nonbelievers", "cutting off opposite hand and feet of sinners". In addition beheadings were common,  dying for allah is good, violence is glorified.
Written nonchronologically it is a really weird book. There is nothing about relationships in there at all.

Enviro - muslims see us christians in the same way as they see jews. I feel education is the answer. Can't force people to become chrisitans, buddhists, jews, athiests, agnostics, wiccans, new agers or anything else.

Brian, yes, the islamists are the extreme sector.  My views are "moderate muslims" are like most "christians". ie, the christians that don't read the Bible, rarely go to church, etc etc etc.

The extremist muslims do read, understand and follow the koran. hence hilalis comments.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13
Send Topic Print