Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: Aussie converts- What to do.

« Last Modified by: DILLIGAF on: Mar 22nd, 2007 at 6:21pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 13
Send Topic Print
The Great Muslim Debate (Read 44540 times)
zoso
Gold Member

OzPolitic

The Great Muslim Debate
Mar 21st, 2007 at 4:51pm

There is a whole load of fear-mongering and paranoia on this board regarding Muslims and the 'dangers' they pose to our society, I'd like for a change to hear peoples solutions to this problem. I will concede that the extremist end of the Muslim spectrum at least represents a dangerous bunch of individuals and that some reconciliation needs to be found. If you believe it is simply ALL muslims thats fine, but I do not want to hear why they are a dangerous culture, I want to hear solutions.

So ye bigots, put your money where your respective mouths are and come up with something constructive for a change. How do we fix it?? Constructive, realistic solutions please.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: The Great Muslim Debate
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 5:56pm

The weekend ge together they had recently to talk things through seems to have worked well. Members of the general public got to here a wide range of views from muslims to anti muslim protagonists. Afterwards they came out far more pro-muslim, and probably more aware of the true nature of any real threats.

What we need to do is stop alienating the entire muslim community and work with them towards the goals we have in common. The more we tar them all with the same brush, the more we push weaker individuals towards extremism.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

zoso
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 7:28pm

freediver wrote on Mar 21st, 2007 at 5:56pm:
What we need to do is stop alienating the entire muslim community and work with them towards the goals we have in common. The more we tar them all with the same brush, the more we push weaker individuals towards extremism.

Wise words. Essentially this is the only solution, you aren't going to get rid of one of the most popular and fast growing religions in the world without some major headaches... to put it lightly.

I'm just challenging people to think about this, I mean really think. Apart from what you have written here freediver, what solutions are there?

So far the silence is deafening.

IP Logged

sprintcyclist
Ex Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 10:18pm

Good query zoso.

My answer in one word.

Education.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

sprintcyclist
Ex Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 10:21pm

"Think education and medical research is expensive ?
Try ignorance and disease."

IP Logged

auzgurl
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 11:10pm

I think its fair to say zoso..this is not fixable, nor should it be..What we should be concentrating on is fixing ourselves and as much as we hate hearing the word..the solution is called tolerance and eduaction..in that order.

being a Muslim is not a diesease. Just like we dont consider our culture to be a disease.

The solution is eduaction and tolerance..

Through eduaction comes understanding and tolerance..The only solution to our angst, and our angst is the real problem, not to the 'problem' of Muslims..I dont see them as a problem.

The suicide bombers etc are not real Muslims, they do not represent Muslims as a pple. they are fundamentalist extremists..like any society has its extremists..In Aust. these extremists are represented by whom?....not sure..but ultimately and in the end this is the only answer to that question!!!!! Huh Huh Huh Huh

IP Logged

zoso
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 8:42am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Mar 21st, 2007 at 10:18pm:
My answer in one word.

Education.
]
I agree 100% with that. Bring on the OLPC! Give them the internets! Smiley

IP Logged

sprintcyclist
Ex Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 8:53am

Hi auzgurl.  My idea of education was not to educate nonmuslims about muslim
It is to educate muslims about the koran.

Tolerance - hahahahhaha

suicide bombers and child sacrificers ARE real muslims.
That is supported by the comments of the (ex)leading auss muslim, the Old Testament and the koran.

Education is the best and only practical answer I can think of.

IP Logged

sprintcyclist
Ex Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 8:55am

Hi Zoso - what is OLPC ?? Open learning centre ??

Yes, give the the net, let them find out for themselves. From non-regulated and free sources.

IP Logged

Gavin

OzPolitic

Sydney, Australia
Reply #9 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 8:57am

zoso wrote on Mar 22nd, 2007 at 8:42am:
Sprintcyclist wrote on Mar 21st, 2007 at 10:18pm:
My answer in one word.

Education.
]
I agree 100% with that. Bring on the OLPC! Give them the internets! Smiley

Careful zoso, i think when sprintcyclist says "education", he means to educate the muslims in christianity as they are currently misguided. the only reason i'm saying that is because sprintcyclist seems to be an extreme practising christian.

Personally, i think the muslim issue is something the muslims need to fix internally, where the moderate ones should deal with the extremists.

But what the wider Australian community shouldn't do is label them all as extremist/terrorists and show hatred to all of them, since doing that will only make the situation worse and has the potential to create more terrorists. It basically becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy

IP Logged

Gavin

OzPolitic

Sydney, Australia
Reply #10 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 9:02am

Quote:
The suicide bombers etc are not real Muslims, they do not represent Muslims as a pple. they are fundamentalist extremists..like any society has its extremists..In Aust. these extremists are represented by whom?....not sure..but ultimately and in the end this is the only answer to that question!!!!! Huh Huh Huh Huh

The Australian extremists are the "Catch The Fire Ministries" and the "Exclusive Brethren".

IP Logged

auzgurl
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 11:32am

Thank you gavin..Ive heard a lot about the Exclusive Bretheren..and Sprint is an extreme Christain..you were right about sprint!!

IP Logged

auzgurl
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 11:34am

suicide bombers and child sacrificers ARE real muslims"
---------------------------------------------------------

This is a really dumb thing to say sprint.........! Embarrassed

IP Logged

zoso
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #13 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 12:43pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Mar 22nd, 2007 at 8:53am:
suicide bombers and child sacrificers ARE real muslims.

Suicide bombings have also been carried out by Christians and atheists, look up "cult of the suicide bomber". That guy through his studies found that Muslims only make up a portion of all suicide bombers, the key driver is more depression and political disenchantment than religious fundamentalism.

OLPC is the 'one laptop per child' organisation that has made a laptop that has a $100 USD value with the sole intention of selling them to developing countries to help their education. Its basically a cheap 'toughbox' that youcan kick around and it doubles as a digital book. Very low power usage, very cheap, flash hard drive, wireless internet and running linux. Bill Gates is not impressed Smiley

http://www.laptop.org/

They are so effective that the Northern Territory government intends to use its federal funding for computers to buy one for every child in school in the NT. The NT government can afford one of these for every child instead of one PC for every classroom. HOWEVER,  since it is federal money being spent, the feds have stepped in and claimed they will not permit the NT government to buy computers that do not run M$oft software... And you thought this wasn't a wholesale corporately owned environment... Last I head the NT was going ahead anyway and sticking it to the Howard govt.

Now, education is irrelevant to your religion, if their (whoever fits the bill for the sake of the argument) understanding of the world means they interpret their religion literally and use it as an excuse for violence then they will simply have to change the way they interpret their religion. Christians had to do it. I think a lot of Islamic fear and hatred comes from a misunderstanding of our culture fuelled by the propaganda of various extreme groups, the actions of the west of late have done little to disprove this propaganda. I see the internet, education and freely available western media in general as a good answer to this problem, once they realise that we are just people like they are things will be moving along.

This also requires that WE as western nations realise that THEY (whoever fits the bill) are people just like we are and should not be treated like some animal because they have differing views and poor education. I note that education is also key in settling down Australian, American and other intolerances as well, this is a double edged sword.

Trump I'm still eager to hear your words on this topic? AN what about you?

IP Logged

sprintcyclist
Ex Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 1:22pm

Hi zoso - under that search I found basically only muslims being suicide bombers.  which is what i see in the news/net/anywhere.

OLPC is a great idea.

When christians had used the Bible as an excuse for violence they seriously misused the Bible. that was strictly against what Jesus taught. They misused it for their own monerty or property gain .

My understandinf is when muslims use the koran as a reason for their violence  they are interpeting it correctly. The moderate muslims (which are the majority) are uninterested in it and abhor violence. Due to the confusing manner in which the koran is written and abrogation, almost anything can be quoted form it. Old stuff that has been abrogated is ok.

Yes, one of the muslims I know is just like me. Works, got kids, a car that breaks down ....

Auzgurl - it may sound dumb, but i have proof.

gavin - I would prefer extreme christian s  to extreme muislims . You ??
  Yes, the moderate muslims do have a responsibility about the extremists.
  why do they do nothing ?? Whem have they marched against extremism ?
I agree, we should not label them all the same. Most i know are perfectly normal.
One here has just had his first child - I was just as pleased as he was when he told me.
We had a "dads" tearful moment. 

Education is the only way I can think of. educatre the muslims about what the koran does say.
The vast majority are not interested in killing and taking over the world. 

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 13
Send Topic Print