Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is Israel in danger of becoming a failed state? (Read 156 times)
Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Is Israel in danger of becoming a failed state?
May 26th, 2024 at 7:29pm

Israel has not earned legitimacy.

Without US$ billions every year Israel would be Palestine.

“Last month, the Global Peace Index rated Syria, Pakistan, Libya and Yemen as more peaceful than Israel. This month, it’s the Failed States Index ranking Mali, which has been split in half by civil war, more stable than Israel.”

https://www.timesofisrael.com/is-israel-in-danger-of-becoming-a-failed-state/

Quote:
Is Israel in danger of becoming a failed state?
An American think tank says yes — for reasons that are drawing both suspicion and agreement
By ARI BEN GOLDBERG
13 July 2012, 5:44 am

According to a US-based think tank, Israel is in greater danger of becoming a failed state than the likes of Botswana, Cuba, Turkmenistan, Benin, Jordan, and Tunisia. In fact, of the 177 nations ranked on the Fund for Peace’s 2012 Failed State Index (FSI), Israel (#62) is in the ‘Very High Warning’ category along with Iran (34), Angola (49), Lebanon (45), and Tanzania (66).

The findings are curious given Israel’s booming economy, high life expectancy, abundant educational opportunities, and low unemployment.

So what’s the explanation for its low FSI ranking? The West Bank. According to the Fund for Peace’s methodology, Israel/West Bank is considered one entity when determining its Failed States Index score.

Nate Haken, a Senior Associate at the Fund for Peace, admits that the inclusion of the West Bank makes Israel’s situation “particularly unique” and “somewhat difficult” for the purposes of creating a universal index. But, he says that “scoring Israel without the West Bank would do even less justice to the complexities and pressures on the state.”

Scoring Israel without the West Bank would do even less justice to the complexities and pressures on the state

“Note that the index measures pressures on the state,” says Haken. “This is not a measure of state performance, although it can be used by policy makers to prioritize and monitor progress and risk over time. Pressures include both exogenous factors and endogenous factors. Some pressures are the result of factors completely outside of the state’s control. But even then, the state must manage those pressures to mitigate conflict risk.”

A former AIPAC spokesperson and J Street’s current Director of Government Affairs both agree that the methodology is dubious, but J Street’s Dylan Williams calls it “chillingly ironic” that Israel and the West Bank are rated as a single state. He says it is a warning for opponents of a two-state solution.

“Although the methodology is questionable, [the survey] provides a bleak look into the one-state nightmare that awaits the State of Israel absent the establishment of a Palestinian state,” says Williams.

Although the methodology is questionable, [the survey] provides a bleak look into the one-state nightmare that awaits the State of Israel absent the establishment of a Palestinian state

“Moves like those recommended by the Levy Committee put both Israelis and Palestinians on a path toward a single state that is either reviled for the disparities and deprivations highlighted in this report, or which is forced to address them by granting full political rights to its non-Jewish majority.  Only the two-state solution can provide both peoples with a more promising future in a state of their own.”

In a similar vein, Ghaith al-Omari, the Executive Director of the American Task Force on Palestine, says the Failed States Index “is just more proof that the current situation is unsustainable and unhealthy for both Israelis and Palestinians.”

“It underlines the need for a two state solution in which both peoples will have the freedom to flourish,” says al-Omari, whose group advocates for a two-state solution.

Josh Block, a former AIPAC spokesperson and current Senior Fellow at the Progressive Public Policy Institute, suggests that The Fund for Peace “should go back to the drawing board if this is what their formulas are actually spitting out, especially if they have an interest in integrity and credibility.”

“This list is another example of NGOs creating arbitrary criteria, or worse, and coming up with ludicrous conclusions regarding Israel,” says Block.

This list is another example of NGOs creating arbitrary criteria, or worse, and coming up with ludicrous conclusions regarding Israel

“Last month, the Global Peace Index rated Syria, Pakistan, Libya and Yemen as more peaceful than Israel. This month, it’s the Failed States Index ranking Mali, which has been split in half by civil war, more stable than Israel.”

On its website, The Fund for Peace describes itself as an independent, nonpartisan research organization “that works to prevent conflict and promote sustainable security.” According to the 2012 Failed States Index, Somalia (1) and Congo (2) are the world’s most unstable nations while Sweden (176) and Finland (177) enjoy the highest degree of sustainability.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Is Israel in danger of becoming a failed state?
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2024 at 7:47pm

Thank you.

I am not fawning, nor being obeisance, neither am I your disciple, nor a mendicant nor a foot kisser -

I'm just thanking you.
Israel couldn't exist without massive free weapons from the USA used to kill people -
at least $3 billion every year -
and this year it's $12 billion for free 500lb and 2,000lb bombs
to drop on civilians in Gaza.
Over 35,000 of them are dead mostly women and children and Gaza looks like Hiroshima after WW2.
If you complain about it you're called an anti-Semite.   Undecided

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - May 26th, 2024 at 8:43pm

Bobby. wrote on May 26th, 2024 at 7:47pm:
Thank you.

I am not fawning, nor being obeisance, neither am I your disciple, nor a mendicant nor a foot kisser -

I'm just thanking you.
Israel couldn't exist without massive free weapons from the USA used to kill people -
Over 35,000 of them are dead mostly women and children and Gaza looks like Hiroshima after WW2.

Only because everyone wants to destroy Israel.

It is ALL in self defence. If the Muslims didn't swear to kill off all the Jews there would be no Arab Israeli conflict.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - May 26th, 2024 at 8:46pm

Q: what's the difference between Booby and Bbwiyawn?
A: tsk, tsk  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #4 - May 26th, 2024 at 8:51pm

Frank wrote on May 26th, 2024 at 8:43pm:
Thank you.

I'm just thanking you.

Only because everyone wants to destroy Israel.

It is ALL in self defence. If the Muslims didn't swear to kill off all the Jews there would be no Arab Israeli conflict.

Hated by: the Arabs, the Persians and the Ottomans.
The Pakis hate them too.

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #5 - May 26th, 2024 at 9:30pm

Thank you.

I'm just thanking you.

Israel is attempting to seize global control of the right to free speech.

Mention Israel by word or by text in a manner they don't like they will call the issuer antisemitic.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print