Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Please support democracy in the Senate (Read 25856 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Please support democracy in the Senate
Aug 15th, 2016 at 9:47pm

Please write to your local federal MPs and senators to support democracy in the senate. Please share on facebook etc also. More info here:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1468844101/14#14

freediver wrote on Aug 14th, 2016 at 12:27pm:
I urge everyone to write to their local federal MP and state senators to complain about this.

Find your local MP here:

http://apps.aec.gov.au/esearch/

Find your local MP and state senator contact details here:

http://www.alp.org.au/people/#filter=.mp
http://www.alp.org.au/people/#filter=.senator
https://lnp.org.au/our-team/federal/

What I have sent in:

Senate debacle

LNP:

What your party has done in the Senate is wrong. Your party supported the changes to the electoral act in 1984 to adopt a new, fairer method. Your party passed resolutions in 1998 and 2010 to adopt these changes. Your party has reneged on your promise to the Australian people, in a greedy move to get your senators a bigger share of the full 6 year terms, at the expense of other candidates. Your party can not be trusted with this most fundamental aspect of democracy. Your party has deligitimised the senate of Australia. The spin your party has attempted to put on this grubby move in the media is dishonest.

I ask you to do the right thing and change this decision. If you have any backbone at all, you will call out your colleagues for supporting this despicable act.

Labor:

What your party has done in the Senate is wrong. Your party passed changes to the electoral act in 1984 to adopt a new, fairer method. Your party passed resolutions in 1998 and 2010 to adopt these changes. Despite this, your part reneged on this promise to the Australian public in 1987, in a greedy move to get your senators a bigger share of the full 6 year terms, at the expense of other candidates. Your party reneged on your promise yet again just two days ago, for the same greedy motive. Your party can not be trusted with this most fundamental aspect of democracy. Your party has deligitimised the senate of Australia. The spin your party has attempted to put on this grubby move in the media is dishonest.

I ask you to do the right thing and change this decision. If you have any backbone at all, you will call out your colleagues for supporting this despicable act.

Make sure you sign off with your name and suburb.

freediver wrote on Aug 15th, 2016 at 9:45pm:
Got a response from one senator. Guess which party? No response from the others.

Thank you for your email. There have been a range of decisions about the process for elelction . We did not need to have a double dissolution this year;it was a waste of money and has not provided any further stability in the senate. The decision which will be voted on in the senate this month allows for the terms to be determined on order of election…the first 6elected will get 6years and the second 6. 3years. This is fair

I wrote back:

It is unfair and undemocratic. It is a self serving backflip on your party's repeatedly stated policy. It is a lie to try to spin it any other way. Do the right thing.

« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2016 at 10:04pm by freediver »  

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Please support democracy in the Senate
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2016 at 9:54pm

What dog do you have in this fight, freediver?  I really could not give a toss about the matter.  Why are you frothing at the mouth about this?

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2016 at 9:55pm

WHY?

I already got my name crossed off the Rolls at the last Election.  That's IT as far as I am concerned. Until the NEXT Federal Election!

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #3 - Aug 15th, 2016 at 9:57pm

Did we just agree on something, Aussie?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Aug 15th, 2016 at 10:05pm

Have a guess Aussie.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Aug 15th, 2016 at 10:07pm

I dont understand anything to do with the senate.. so n o good me writing to anyone....its weird and strange and its being taken over by minorities....they have all the POWER   I dont like that...

how they can fix it I have no idea... only to get rid of it all together.....a bunch of freeloaders as far as I am concerned.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - Aug 15th, 2016 at 10:10pm

freediver wrote on Aug 15th, 2016 at 10:05pm:
Have a guess Aussie.

Why should I guess?  Why not simply provide an answer instead of playing childish hide and seek?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Aug 15th, 2016 at 10:19pm

Because what they are doing is wrong. It is a big, blatant cheat, and I fear they will get away with it because the Australian public are too ignorant and confused to see it.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Aug 15th, 2016 at 10:21pm

freediver wrote on Aug 15th, 2016 at 10:19pm:
Because what they are doing is wrong. It is a big, blatant cheat, and I fear they will get away with it because the Australian public are too ignorant and confused to see it.

Who
is being cheated?  (I don't feel cheated?) 

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Aug 15th, 2016 at 10:23pm

freediver wrote on Aug 15th, 2016 at 10:19pm:

well that puts me in my place....

can you tell me in simple language just what have we been cheated out of???>.....

all you lefties have been laughing and saying Turnbull has shot himself in his own foot...

so why didnt you bring this up before the election?>.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Aug 15th, 2016 at 10:32pm

Cods it has nothing to do with left and right. I did not bring it up before the election because before the election, both Labor and Liberal were promising to do the right thing and use the new, fairer method that they had been promising to use for the last 20 years. After the election, both Labor and Liberal decided to hand themselves more senate seats by breaking their promise to do the right thing.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Aug 15th, 2016 at 10:53pm

freediver wrote on Aug 15th, 2016 at 10:32pm:
Cods it has nothing to do with left and right. I did not bring it up before the election because before the election, both Labor and Liberal were promising to do the right thing and use the new, fairer method that they had been promising to use for the last 20 years. After the election, both Labor and Liberal decided to hand themselves more senate seats by breaking their promise to do the right thing.

And according to Bam, the difference in outcome either way, is minuscule.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Aug 16th, 2016 at 7:08am

freediver wrote on Aug 15th, 2016 at 10:32pm:

what changes did they promise and what changes did they make......and what if anything would be the difference??>>.

you are annoyed they didnt make the changes they promised 20 years ago...

what were they how do they differ to what did change???>..

the senate hasnt functioned for Australia for years....it appears to me just a clone of the Reps...now with a few self interested people who all have a degree in selfhelp... and you want people to complain ....hahaha

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Aug 16th, 2016 at 7:44am

cods wrote on Aug 16th, 2016 at 7:08am:
the senate hasnt functioned for Australia for years

the senate functions exactly as it was designed to do. Nothing wrong with how it's working

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Aug 16th, 2016 at 7:52am

John Smith wrote on Aug 16th, 2016 at 7:44am:
cods wrote on Aug 16th, 2016 at 7:08am:
the senate hasnt functioned for Australia for years

the senate functions exactly as it was designed to do. Nothing wrong with how it's working

you have your opinion

I have mine.......its not rocket science..everyone has an opinion. Angry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print