Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Race and Gender (Read 5095 times)
Nom de Plume
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Race and Gender
Aug 20th, 2021 at 3:28pm

I contend that ideas of race and gender are, respectively racist and sexist. More than that, it is deeply unethical and serves no purpose in today's society. I see no reason for individuals to identify as anything other than human and subsequently worthy of all the rights and duties entailed.

Where there are 'perceived' differences, ethical philosophy has responded with equitable approaches. Sadly though, too many ignore equity and the right to equal consideration of interests. This lack of philosophical empathy for the 'other' is what is driving so much social unrest and conflict.

Take for example sport and gender: Equal consideration allows us to appreciate the significant biological differences between the two archetypal genders. Those differences however, must not impinge upon a person's right to play sport. The solution then is to have three groups... male, female and mixed. In this way, people can compete fairly against each other. Those who do not identify with their birth gender move to the mixed teams.

Race is an absurd term which has no regard for a person's ethnicity which does matter. We cannot compare the Saami people with other white folks, just because they are white, nor can we compare the Arrernte people with other black folks just because they are black.

Applying this to education and the need to give equal consideration to all, it is most reasonable to claim that those public schools performing poorly receive more funding than those who are performing well. Skin color must not factor into this equation!

There are exceptions that pertain to tribal peoples, such as the Saami and Arrernte previously mentioned which are beyond the scope of this discussion but never beyond the scope of individual rights, duties and equal consideration.

So thanks for reading and I hope to hear your take on this.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Re: Race and Gender
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2021 at 5:25pm

I oppose that oversimplified approach to wokeness.

There are men and women, male and female.
These are constants.
The idea that any person can be other than one or the other is nothing more than a mental illness.

There are strengths and weaknesses in both.
And while intellectually equal, physically they can never be.
Both also think differently, neither superior, simply differently which also has positives and negatives.

But as a couple, a male and a female can be stronger and more capable as a pair than as the sum of their individual parts.

Race, is also a contentious issue.
Every race is different, this is fact.
What some find repulsive, others find attractive.
What some take offence at, others laugh at.

Again we are different,  nether better or worse ( in its specific culture)
But when two totally incompattable races mix, there will always be conflict.
Some cultures can never accept that they do not belong and demand that the other culture must change to suit their culture.
This is wrong.
Every culture has its positives and negatives.
And while some are more accepting of others, some refuse to change even when that change is badly needed.
These latter cultures should go elsewhere as they are of no benifits to either culture.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Bertie
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Aug 23rd, 2021 at 5:15pm

Nom de Plume wrote on Aug 20th, 2021 at 3:28pm:
I contend that ideas of race and gender are, respectively racist and sexist. More than that, it is deeply unethical and serves no purpose in today's society. I see no reason for individuals to identify as anything other than human and subsequently worthy of all the rights and duties entailed.

Where there are 'perceived' differences, ethical philosophy has responded with equitable approaches. Sadly though, too many ignore equity and the right to equal consideration of interests. This lack of philosophical empathy for the 'other' is what is driving so much social unrest and conflict.

Take for example sport and gender: Equal consideration allows us to appreciate the significant biological differences between the two archetypal genders. Those differences however, must not impinge upon a person's right to play sport. The solution then is to have three groups... male, female and mixed. In this way, people can compete fairly against each other. Those who do not identify with their birth gender move to the mixed teams.

Race is an absurd term which has no regard for a person's ethnicity which does matter. We cannot compare the Saami people with other white folks, just because they are white, nor can we compare the Arrernte people with other black folks just because they are black.

Applying this to education and the need to give equal consideration to all, it is most reasonable to claim that those public schools performing poorly receive more funding than those who are performing well. Skin color must not factor into this equation!

There are exceptions that pertain to tribal peoples, such as the Saami and Arrernte previously mentioned which are beyond the scope of this discussion but never beyond the scope of individual rights, duties and equal consideration.

So thanks for reading and I hope to hear your take on this.

This is simplifying differences out of existence. Absurd. Silly.

Sex differences are real, natural and obvious. Having equal rights in law doesn't change that fact of difference.

Race is is more of a spectrum than a binary either/or like sex. But the Saami have more in common with other Finns and Scandinavians and Europeans than with the Arrernte or with other Australian Aborigines.

To say that there are no recognisable differences such as sex and race and that we do not, all of us, apply this sort of recognised difference in every day is silly. These differences - sex, race, age, demeanour, bearing, clothes, fatness, appearance etc, etc - are all meaning-bearing aspects of every person and we all perceive and read these meaning. We cannot help but read these meanings -"first impressions count. They are subject to ongoing revision and reinterpretation as more becomes known about another person - don't judge a book by its cover. But the essential point remains - we read the features presented by another person all the time and their race, sex, age, manner etc are all part of the meaning.

Let's see if you think race and sex are irrelevant in this news item:

Three men sought by police in Birmingham Gay Village attack probe

« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2021 at 5:38pm by Bertie »  

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #3 - Aug 23rd, 2021 at 5:56pm

Oh, dearie, dearie, me.  The transvestite Soren reveals his real identity.  "Race" is a social construct.  It has no reality in genetics.  It has no bearing on social behaviour.  You are peddling your stock-standard Racist response again.  We are all members of the only "race" that exists - the human one.  It is what allows Saami and Indigenous Australians to interbreed.  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Bertie
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Aug 23rd, 2021 at 6:02pm

Brian Ross wrote on Aug 23rd, 2021 at 5:56pm:
https://emojipedia-us.s3.dualstack.us-west-1.amazonaws.com/thumbs/120/google/223...

Oh, dearie, dearie, me.  The transvestite Soren reveals his real identity.  "Race" is a social construct.  It has no reality in genetics.  It has no bearing on social behaviour.  You are peddling your stock-standard Racist response again.  We are all members of the only "race" that exists - the human one.  It is what allows Saami and Indigenous Australians to interbreed.  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

And you perceive no meaning when you look at another person? You do not read the myriad meaning-bearing signs -  you just look at there genetic code?

Really?

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #5 - Aug 23rd, 2021 at 10:27pm

Bertie wrote on Aug 23rd, 2021 at 6:02pm:
https://emojipedia-us.s3.dualstack.us-west-1.amazonaws.com/thumbs/120/google/223...

And you perceive no meaning when you look at another person? You do not read the myriad meaning-bearing signs -  you just look at there genetic code?

Really?

It is all an intelligent person does.  You appear to react to superficial differences such as skin colour, etc.  I suppose being a transvestite allows you to dress as a woman and therefore pass as one but deep down, you're still a man.  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Aug 26th, 2021 at 7:01pm

Brian Ross wrote on Aug 23rd, 2021 at 10:27pm:

Really?

It is all an intelligent person does.  You appear to react to superficial differences such as skin colour, etc.  I suppose being a transvestite allows you to dress as a woman and therefore pass as one but deep down, you're still a man.  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

And you're still a dipshyte PC SJW woke wanker

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #7 - Aug 26th, 2021 at 9:56pm

Gnads wrote on Aug 26th, 2021 at 7:01pm:

Really?

And you're still a dipshyte PC SJW woke wanker

Seems the truth hurts you.  I am so sorry for your condition.  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Sep 12th, 2021 at 6:31am

You're a social construct .... a gerrybuilt one.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Sep 12th, 2021 at 10:07am

Blistering barnacles! Schools burn Tintin books in ‘racism’ storm

A ceremonial book burning that included tales of Tintin and Asterix by a school board in the name of indigenous reconciliation has been condemned by political leaders.

The “flame purification” ceremony by Providence Catholic School Board involved 30 primary and secondary schools in the Canadian province of Ontario.

About 4700 books were removed from library shelves, but 30 were burnt for “educational purposes”. Among those removed were Tintin in America, Asterix and the Indians and other books containing cultural appropriation and outmoded history.

The book burning was held in 2019 but reported this week by Radio Canada and made it into a televised leaders’ debate in advance of this month’s election.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said: “I would never agree to the burning of books.”

However, he said that it was not up to non-indigenous people “to tell indigenous people how they should feel or act to advance reconciliation”.

Tintin in America was removed for its “negative portrayal of indigenous peoples” and Asterix was withdrawn because of the sexualisation of the indigenous woman in love with Obelix.

A spokeswoman for the school board said: “We sincerely regret the negative impact of this initiative intended as a gesture of reconciliation.”
The Times

So this means that
1 it's ok to burn books if you sincerely feel it's the right thing for your emotional well-being. Emotional Correctness uber alles, after all.
2 indiginous people shouldn't tall indiginous people how they should feel or act about race relations either
3 burning ingineous symbols is merely regrettable if the stated intention is to emphasise unity and the repudiation of racial an other differences
4 white people can act like this, BLM, etc in the face of perceived racial slights like 'white supremacy, privilege, guilt-tripping' etc.
5 there is NO shared cultural, civilisational norm that unites people, racial identity trumps all, like class used to.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #10 - Sep 12th, 2021 at 5:33pm

Really?

Seems you are transphobic, how un-PC of you, bigot.

You should see what can happen if you tell trannies they're not women or tell them women have pussies.

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #11 - Sep 12th, 2021 at 6:01pm

Brian wears socks with his sandals!

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Sep 14th, 2021 at 10:23am

Mysteriously, this seems to happen when they are visiting their usual fine dining venues......

https://mobile.twitter.com/BaldyDavitt/status/1435124081800667136

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Oct 29th, 2021 at 9:03am

Siyakaka Feminism: African Anality and the Politics of Deviance in FAKA's Performance Art Praxis

Jordache A. Ellapen
Feminist Studies
Vol. 47, No. 1, BLACK FEMINIST THOUGHT (2021), pp. 114-146 (33 pages)
Published By: Feminist Studies, Inc.

Feminist Studies
https://doi.org/10.15767/feministstudies.47.1.0114
https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.15767/feministstudies.47.1.0114

Cite this Item

Read and download

Purchase article
$18.00 - Download now and later

https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.15767/feministstudies.47.issue-1?refreqid=excels...

As Dubya said, 'is our children learning?"

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #14 - Oct 29th, 2021 at 1:30pm

Neferti wrote on Sep 12th, 2021 at 6:01pm:
Brian wears socks with his sandals!