Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tesla touchscreens only last 5 years (Read 1971 times)
Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Tesla touchscreens only last 5 years
Feb 9th, 2021 at 10:23pm

When the touchscreen goes kaput nothing really works on the Tesla.

Replacing touchscreens every 5 years is going to be costly since Tesla don't allow anyone outside of tesla to work on their sh!tboxes.

Quote:
Tesla says its faulty touchscreens that led to a recall were only built to last 5-6 years

Tesla agreed this week to recall more than 134,000 vehicles with flash memory units that may wear out unexpectedly, rendering the cars’ touchscreens useless in some cases, but it didn’t go down without a fight.

In a letter to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration made public on Tuesday, Elon Musk’s electric automaker claimed its screens weren’t failing prematurely — they were just designed that way.

Tesla’s legal chief, Al Prescott, pushed back against the regulator’s definition of a “defect,” arguing that the eMMC memory devices in question were only built to last five to six years. He said that lifespan is standard for infotainment systems in the industry.

“While the wear rate is heavily influenced by the active use of the centre display system, even more so when the vehicle is in drive or charging, given a reasonable average daily use of 1.4 cycles, the expected life would be 5-6 years,” Prescott said. “The eMMC flash memory … is inherently subject to wear, has a finite life (as NHTSA itself acknowledges), and may need replacement during the useful life of the vehicle.”

Prescott went on to argue that it would be unreasonable for federal regulators to expect electronic parts to function properly for the entire lifetime of a vehicle, given that “electronic components are becoming increasingly more complex while, at the same time, the expected useful life of vehicles has grown substantially.

“It is economically, if not technologically, infeasible to expect that such components can or should be designed to last the vehicle’s entire useful life,” Prescott said.

Teslas are unique in that nearly all of their basic functions — from climate control, to motors, seats, and brakes — are run by a computer system. That’s useful for Tesla as it can beam out over-the-air software updates that meaningfully change the car’s behaviour, something no other automaker can currently do. It also means, however, that if the computer or display fails, plenty of crucial features can go with it.

The recall affects Model S sedans built between 2012 and 2018, along with Model X crossovers built between 2016 and 2018. According to the NHTSA, failing displays could affect essential safety functions like the backup camera, turn signals, and defogger.

Tesla is recalling 134,951 vehicles in total, fewer than the roughly 158,000 cars the NHTSA initially said were impacted. It has also rolled out firmware updates that it says address the issues and alert customers when their display is near failure.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/tesla-computer-touchscreen-recall-nhtsa-desig...

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Re: Tesla touchscreens only last 5 years
Reply #1 - Feb 9th, 2021 at 10:37pm

It almost amounts to corporate criminality.   [extortion, is a crime!]

Doesn't it ?

Designed-in redundancy [demanding 'up-grades'].

Price gouging of dependent users, who would reasonably expect such devices to last decades.

Q.
What happens on Mars, when the touchscreens in the Mars colony, all begin to fail ?

Will Tesla send a technician from Earth, to install new touchscreens on all of the colony's devices ?     Sad

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2021 at 2:04am

Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole....

(just had to make a clean sweep of the forum titles...... apart from feedback, which they never want me to post on... why?  I know why...)

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Mix_Master
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2021 at 7:04am

Yadda wrote on Feb 9th, 2021 at 10:37pm:

Doesn't it ?

Price gouging of dependent users, who would reasonably expect such devices to last decades.

Q.
What happens on Mars, when the touchscreens in the Mars colony, all begin to fail ?

Will Tesla send a technician from Earth, to install new touchscreens on all of the colony's devices ?     Sad

It's called "planned obsolescence", and while I don't much care for it in principle (as a consumer), you've been living under a rock if you think it is a "recent" thing...I don't see any other Corporations being charged with "extortion" by building things with the idea that consumers will need to replace them withiin a finite (often defined) time frame...

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2021 at 8:32am

It's not built-in obsolescence.

Touch screens wear out, simple. Tesla are over priced but when a lekky car is cheaper, replacing a touch screen after 5 years will be no big deal deal when you haven't needed to do an oil change and you've done the breaks once.

IBI

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #5 - Feb 10th, 2021 at 8:47am

Gordon wrote on Feb 10th, 2021 at 8:32am:
It's not built-in obsolescence.

Touch screens wear out, simple. Tesla are over priced but when a lekky car is cheaper, replacing a touch screen after 5 years will be no big deal deal when you haven't needed to do an oil change and you've done the breaks once.

THats what I was thinking myself. TOuch screens etc will wear out. I'm sure the new fandangled 3-D virtual cockpits you see now in cars will break down.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #6 - Feb 10th, 2021 at 11:54am

This is clearly planned obsolescence by Tesla because mobile phone touchscreens easily last more than 5 years. I have never experienced a mobile phone touchscreen failure in 20+ years of using mobile phones with touchscreens.

If this is a real issue Suppliers will emerge who can supply better replacement touchscreens if Tesla doesn't block non-Tesla replacement parts.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Mix_Master
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Feb 10th, 2021 at 5:39pm

Laugh till you cry wrote on Feb 10th, 2021 at 11:54am:
This is clearly planned obsolescence by Tesla because mobile phone touchscreens easily last more than 5 years. I have never experienced a mobile phone touchscreen failure in 20+ years of using mobile phones with touchscreens.

If this is a real issue Suppliers will emerge who can supply better replacement touchscreens if Tesla doesn't block non-Tesla replacement parts.

You could make a case either way.

But as the worthies above have pointed out, they (the touch screens) may well come to be viewed as a "service item" in years to come...if the failed part is a few hundred to replace, probably no big deal. A few thousand, on the other hand...different story.

Perhaps the expectation is that the new breed of electric cars will themselves be a "replace every few years" kind of consumer item?

IP Logged

Kid Dynomite

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Feb 10th, 2021 at 6:45pm

You can't touch this.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Feb 10th, 2021 at 6:51pm

Mix_Master wrote on Feb 10th, 2021 at 7:04am:
Yadda wrote on Feb 9th, 2021 at 10:37pm:

Doesn't it ?

Q.

It's called "planned obsolescence", and while I don't much care for it in principle (as a consumer), you've been living under a rock if you think it is a "recent" thing...I don't see any other Corporations being charged with "extortion" by building things with the idea that consumers will need to replace them withiin a finite (often defined) time frame...

do you not think if it was normal for something as important as a touchscreen with such a short life it should at least be mentioned in the manual that is supplied with the car?..... just about everything that has to be replaced in a car is noted   why not this???...

IP Logged

Kid Dynomite

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Feb 10th, 2021 at 6:57pm

When I think about you I touch my screen.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Feb 10th, 2021 at 7:02pm

replacing a touch screen has gotta be cheaper than replacing a timing belt, gaskets, air filters, oil filters, coolant, spark plugs, clutch etc etc

tesla bashers have no idea

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Feb 10th, 2021 at 7:03pm

cods wrote on Feb 10th, 2021 at 6:51pm:
do you not think if it was normal for something as important as a touchscreen with such a short life it should at least be mentioned in the manual that is supplied with the car?..... just about everything that has to be replaced in a car is noted   why not this???...

Have you even seen the manual for a tesla cods? or are you just pretending again?

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #13 - Feb 10th, 2021 at 7:05pm

People with fingers like cavendish bananas shouldn't be allowed to drive electric cars or touch anything.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #14 - Feb 10th, 2021 at 7:59pm

Laugh till you cry wrote on Feb 10th, 2021 at 7:05pm:
People with fingers like cavendish bananas shouldn't be allowed to drive electric cars or touch anything.

Hi, pedo supporter, are you talking about Aussie, the kid pinner who pins children against trees with his big hands?

IBI

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print