Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
A new way to elect a President (Read 5168 times)
Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

A new way to elect a President
Mar 1st, 2020 at 4:13pm

As many of you know, I'm not a huge fan of direct elections when it comes to leaders. I've said previously that in country that is a federation like Australia, and in one where the population of the country is lopsided, a direction election of President (i.e. one-man one-vote) would be skewed to favour the Eastern States.

Having looked at electoral statistics, I believe the numbers support my claim.

Enrolled electors:

NSW: 5,322,014;

VIC: 4,277,647

QLD      3,299,172

WA      1,669,646

SA      1,220,637

TAS      388,216

ACT      299,685

NT      140,502
______
TOTAL: 16,567,519

-------
If we calculate the total number of electors in the top 3 states: we get a total number of electors of is 12,848,833‬. If we calculate the percentage of these two totals then that means that NSW, VIC and QLD make up 77.5% of the votes. This means that the election is basically over when the count is finished in NSW, VIC and QLD.
-------
Now here's my proposal:

Each State is entitled to 'electoral votes' which is equal to the total number of members in both Houses of Federal Parliament which each State is entitled. It would look like this (excluding the territories):

NSW: 59

VIC: 50

QLD: 42

WA: 28

SA: 22

TAS: 17
____
TOTAL: 218

When a voter elects their president, they vote for the candidate directly; and the percentage of votes obtained by a candidate is then translated into the 'electoral vote'. For e.g. if Candidate A obtains 51% in NSW then they'll obtain 35 electoral votes. This is different from the American system whereby over there it's a winner-take-all system.

If we now calculate the total number of electoral votes held by NSW, VIC, and QLD = 151, this is equal to 69.2% of the total electoral votes, slightly less than 77.5%. As you can see, in the second method, the voting power of the smaller States is slightly more than the under a one-man one-vote system.

This concept is know as 'degressive proportionality'. Degressive proportionality is an approach to the allocation (between regions, states or other subdivisions) of seats in a legislature or other decision-making body. Degressive proportionality means that while the subdivisions do not each elect an equal number of members, smaller subdivisions are allocated more seats than would be allocated strictly in proportion to their population.

The Progressive President

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Re: A new way to elect a President
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2020 at 4:19pm

What I would like to see ultimately is that the total voting power of the smallest 3 States equals 40% of the total vote, with the remaining 60% allocated to the largest 3 states.

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2020 at 4:33pm

So the territories which combined are not much smaller in population than Tasmania miss out all together?

Roll Eyes

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2020 at 4:41pm

Each State is entitled to 'electoral votes' which is equal to the total number of members in both Houses of Federal Parliament which each State is entitled

who would be these ELECTORAL VOTES?.....

where do they come from? 

you are giving people the right to vote for "you"..

who and where do they come from???..

and seriously what is wrong with what we have now?..

why do you need to change it?

the AMerican system is so ugly and drawn out no one seems to make sense of it.....

why bother turning up to vote when in the end it isnt counted... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Mar 1st, 2020 at 5:40pm

Quote:
NSW, VIC and QLD make up 77.5% of the votes. This means that the election is basically over when the count is finished in NSW, VIC and QLD

No it doesn't. Most elections come down to about a 2% swing, and a small number of electorates.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #5 - Mar 1st, 2020 at 6:03pm

freediver wrote on Mar 1st, 2020 at 5:40pm:
Quote:
NSW, VIC and QLD make up 77.5% of the votes. This means that the election is basically over when the count is finished in NSW, VIC and QLD

No it doesn't. Most elections come down to about a 2% swing, and a small number of electorates.

There are no electorates when electing a president by one-man, one-man vote. The entire country is one electorate.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #6 - Mar 1st, 2020 at 6:04pm

cods wrote on Mar 1st, 2020 at 4:41pm:
Each State is entitled to 'electoral votes' which is equal to the total number of members in both Houses of Federal Parliament which each State is entitled

where do they come from? 

the AMerican system is so ugly and drawn out no one seems to make sense of it.....

why bother turning up to vote when in the end it isnt counted... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

So, electoral votes is simply like a college but without any person.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Mar 1st, 2020 at 6:06pm

Auggie wrote on Mar 1st, 2020 at 6:04pm:

where do they come from? 

so what does your electoral consist of??.....not pollies already in power... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #8 - Mar 1st, 2020 at 6:08pm

cods wrote on Mar 1st, 2020 at 6:06pm:
Auggie wrote on Mar 1st, 2020 at 6:04pm:

where do they come from? 

so what does your electoral consist of??.....not pollies already in power... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

They consist of nothing. They're just a number to which the popular vote is translated to.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #9 - Mar 1st, 2020 at 6:09pm

Redmond Neck wrote on Mar 1st, 2020 at 4:33pm:
So the territories which combined are not much smaller in population than Tasmania miss out all together?

Roll Eyes

The territories should be abolished in favour of direct federal control.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Mar 1st, 2020 at 6:18pm

Auggie wrote on Mar 1st, 2020 at 6:03pm:
Quote:

There are no electorates when electing a president by one-man, one-man vote. The entire country is one electorate.

Is that what you describe as a "new" way?

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #11 - Mar 1st, 2020 at 7:26pm

freediver wrote on Mar 1st, 2020 at 6:18pm:
Quote:

No, I describe the manner of electing the President as a new way. E.g. translating the popular vote into a electoral-college like vote.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - Mar 1st, 2020 at 7:50pm

Auggie wrote on Mar 1st, 2020 at 4:19pm:
What I would like to see ultimately is that the total voting power of the smallest 3 States equals 40% of the total vote, with the remaining 60% allocated to the largest 3 states.

Stoopid

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #13 - Mar 1st, 2020 at 7:54pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Mar 1st, 2020 at 7:50pm:
Auggie wrote on Mar 1st, 2020 at 4:19pm:

Stoopid

Only for you. No doubt you live in the bigger States.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - Mar 1st, 2020 at 8:46pm

Auggie wrote on Mar 1st, 2020 at 7:26pm:
freediver wrote on Mar 1st, 2020 at 6:18pm:
Quote:

No, I describe the manner of electing the President as a new way. E.g. translating the popular vote into a electoral-college like vote.

So the electoral college thing is a "new" way?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print