Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
John Hewson talking more good sense. (Read 1649 times)
Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Re: John Hewson talking more good sense.
Reply #15 - Jan 16th, 2020 at 7:55pm

cods wrote on Jan 16th, 2020 at 3:14pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Jan 16th, 2020 at 12:59pm:
You are quick to disown Hewson, Cods.  Perhaps too quick.  Perhaps the Tory Party is not what it'd founder Ming the Mercillous intended - a "broad church."  First Fraser.  now Hewson, how many ex-leaders do you need to jettison? Really.  Roll Eyes

oh I am happy to get rid of those who do nothing but criticise... its not helpful is it??

So, we are meant to the one drum beat, cods, with no possibility of change, right?   Shocked

Quote:
... we know it doesnt happen much on labor side mainly because they are threatened with extinction.... as it is Hewson lost the unlosable......and hes had to wear that crown ever since... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  Fraser anointed Magube  he was one of the main reasons  he became the monster of Zimbabwe  nothing sir to be proud of.... they think we all forget..... yeah right!

Oh, it happens a great deal on both sides of politics.  It is how the policies are planned and implimented.  As for Hewson he is it appears an honest man.   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Jan 16th, 2020 at 8:09pm

16 out of 17 professors are leftards, Captain.

That rules out anything John Hewson says.

Ask Aquascoot for the figures, okay?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Jan 16th, 2020 at 8:16pm

You are quick to disown Hewson, Cods.  Perhaps too quick.  Perhaps the Tory Party is not what it'd founder Ming the Mercillous intended - a "broad church."  First Fraser.  now Hewson, how many ex-leaders do you need to jettison? Really.  Roll Eyes

oh I am happy to get rid of those who do nothing but criticise... its not helpful is it??...

Not at all, dear. You are, I have to say, a valued and respected member of our jolly board, yes?

We're all friends here, no?

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Jan 16th, 2020 at 10:38pm

oh I am happy to get rid of those who do nothing but criticise...

If the targets of the criticism weren't doing anything wrong there would be nothing to criticise.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Jan 16th, 2020 at 11:03pm

don't worry ...once he stops sponging off the mining industry and their supporters, scomo will also convert and become a crusaders against global warming

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Jan 17th, 2020 at 1:30pm

Hewson is long past his prime and is largely ignored today.  A bit like Wayne Swan announcing something or other. A total non-event.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #21 - Jan 18th, 2020 at 1:05am

One reason for the slow introduction of the ADF to the Bushfire Crisis is that they have limited resources and many responsibilities... in this nation we lack a National Guard that is adequately equipped to deal with such crises and thus cannot call out the Army, Air Force and Navy Reserves to assist in a local crisis.

Also the rules continue to apply - and this is where I see fault in the state governments - states must declare their inability to control the situation before Federal troops can be called in and utilised - National Guards are State troops, an issue raised clearly in the film "The Second Civil War" in which National Guard and Federal troops opposed one another.... even when they knew one another.  Ergo - a National Guard could have been called in much sooner...

Gladys posturing for every Fire Service or Police public statement was of as much value as her Premiership has been... but then - she is only a woman who has never seen the inside of a real job or the inside or outside of a raging fire... the epitome of the aloof 'leader' whose only value was accepting photo ops...

Why is she NSW State Premier?  She knows nothing, sees nothing, and has experienced nothing.. a hothouse flower raised in the shade and fed on Liberal bullshit... would you trust such a one with your life?  You do so daily... for that matter which of those currently in politics would you put your arm into the fire for?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #22 - Jan 18th, 2020 at 1:06am

John Smith wrote on Jan 16th, 2020 at 11:03pm:
don't worry ...once he stops sponging off the mining industry and their supporters, scomo will also convert and become a crusaders against global warming

.. more likely to become a crusader for climate change.... just for public consumption...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #23 - Jan 18th, 2020 at 9:35am

juliar wrote on Jan 17th, 2020 at 1:30pm:
Hewson is long past his prime and is largely ignored today.  A bit like Wayne Swan announcing something or other. A total non-event.

Strange then that so many want to discuss his claims.

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #24 - Jan 18th, 2020 at 10:07am

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 16th, 2020 at 3:06pm:
Ayn Marx wrote on Jan 16th, 2020 at 1:46pm:

Ex-leaders of the Liberal Party are an interesting species. Possibly their intimate familiarity with the amoral machiavellian games they’ve had to adjust to whilst in office triggers some form of internal reflection in retirement?
Maybe unkind, but I’m disinclined to apply the term ‘conscience’.

In part I agree.  All too often, former leaders are identified with policies that they have to fight through the Party Room and so have little real interest in supporting personally after they have retired.  Then, there is the possibility that society itself has move farther to the right than a retired leader, such as Fraser has,  with the result that they are left leaning to the liberal side of the party in their personal views.  Finally, there is the possibility they were part of the left fraction and the party as abandoned them.

What ever the explanation you have Fraser, Hewson both sounding more at home with the ALP than with the Liberal Party.    Roll Eyes

Labor of today sits politically where the fraser government was at that time.

One of the interesting aspects of politics in Australia is the way that the Hawke Keating governments were able to corner the Liberals into going to the more extreme right when labor took up the centre right position.

Overall while a success at the time has done untold damage to Australia when the invigorated more extreme right Liberals took back government.

Yes Labors push to the right in the 80's - 90's has led to a lot of today's problems with the right in general going too far. Today even people like (dog forgive me) Menzies would align politically with Labor.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #25 - Jan 18th, 2020 at 10:36am

minarchist wrote on Jan 16th, 2020 at 11:12am:
It's unfortunate that both sides of the Federal Parliament are devoid of potential leaders that we have to look back to the 90's for potential candiates (Hewson and Kennett for the Coalition; Beazley, Carr and even Keating for Labour).

Maybe I'm not looking hard enough but are there any politicians in the House of Representatives born after 1975 that are potential leadership material?

It's a lot easier to act like a leader when you arn't one.
Just look at Malcolm Turnbull. He was a great leader until he actually became one. Then he was held hostage by the conservative faction and was a huge disappointment

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #26 - Jan 18th, 2020 at 11:49am

Dnarever wrote on Jan 18th, 2020 at 10:07am:
Brian Ross wrote on Jan 16th, 2020 at 3:06pm:
Ayn Marx wrote on Jan 16th, 2020 at 1:46pm:

Ex-leaders of the Liberal Party are an interesting species. Possibly their intimate familiarity with the amoral machiavellian games they’ve had to adjust to whilst in office triggers some form of internal reflection in retirement?
Maybe unkind, but I’m disinclined to apply the term ‘conscience’.

In part I agree.  All too often, former leaders are identified with policies that they have to fight through the Party Room and so have little real interest in supporting personally after they have retired.  Then, there is the possibility that society itself has move farther to the right than a retired leader, such as Fraser has,  with the result that they are left leaning to the liberal side of the party in their personal views.  Finally, there is the possibility they were part of the left fraction and the party as abandoned them.

What ever the explanation you have Fraser, Hewson both sounding more at home with the ALP than with the Liberal Party.    Roll Eyes

Labor of today sits politically where the fraser government was at that time.

One of the interesting aspects of politics in Australia is the way that the Hawke Keating governments were able to corner the Liberals into going to the more extreme right when labor took up the centre right position.

Overall while a success at the time has done untold damage to Australia when the invigorated more extreme right Liberals took back government.

Yes Labors push to the right in the 80's - 90's has led to a lot of today's problems with the right in general going too far. Today even people like (dog forgive me) Menzies would align politically with Labor.

Basically, I agree.  I think what the ALP needs is a new Gough - someone who can be more leftist and still win votes.  Get the collective going again, is what I say!   Wink

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Jan 18th, 2020 at 12:06pm

minarchist wrote on Jan 16th, 2020 at 11:12am:
He's 73. He could give it another crack if he wanted to.

It's unfortunate that both sides of the Federal Parliament are devoid of potential leaders that we have to look back to the 90's for potential candiates (Hewson and Kennett for the Coalition; Beazley, Carr and even Keating for Labour).

And don't forget Mark Latham's run for One Nation, dear.

We will make Australia great again, no?

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 4:37pm

Hewson seems to have been bitten by the Greeny bug and is now infected and spews Greeny rubbish now. Old age should bring WISDOM but sometimes senility overtakes it.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #29 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 7:57pm

Funny how the conservatives tend to hate their x leaders.

As soon as any one of them starts to act honestly that's it - gone. Nothing more frightening to the right than integrity except maybe honesty.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print