Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
9 reasons why Trump could lose reelection in 2020 (Read 538 times)
Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
9 reasons why Trump could lose reelection in 2020
Jun 7th, 2019 at 1:51pm

By Joe Perticone

President Donald Trump has many advantages going into the 2020 election. He has a massive war chest, a strong economy under his watch, the power of incumbency, and more.

But nothing is set in stone. As the Democratic primary race gets underway, Trump is already in full reelection mode, getting ready for rallies and events across the country. He has also already gone after many of the Democrats looking to unseat him.
Trump could face a number of hurdles to reelection, here are just some of them.

1. The economy could be headed for a recession

The economy is in good shape, which the Trump administration regularly touts as one of the crowning successes of his tenure.

But nothing lasts forever, and economic indicators suggest the United States could soon be headed for a recession. In addition, many American companies are constantly expressing frustration about the Trump administration's volatile trade negotiations.

2. Mounting congressional investigations

While the special counsel's probe into Russia interference in the 2016 election has wrapped, there are still several congressional investigations digging into Trump's administration and personal affairs.
The president and top administration officials have repeatedly attempted to block House Democrats' pushing for new info and witnesses. That suggests these investigations are unlikely to fade from the headlines between now and Election Day 2020.

3. An energised Democratic base

The Democratic base of voters showed their enthusiasm in the 2018 midterm elections, taking back the House majority in a sweeping fashion. If that can carry on into 2020 and translate to the presidential race, Trump could be in some trouble.

4. He has a primary challenger

Trump has something many past presidents have been severely damaged by: a primary challenger.
Former Massachusetts Gov. Bill Weld launched a bid against Trump. While the Republican National Committee is sticking by Trump instead of remaining neutral, Weld could still harm the president's reelection chances.

While primary challenges against sitting presidents have not resulted in the incumbent's ability to secure the nomination, long and drawn out primary fights often inflict considerable damage that ends up hurting them in the general election.

5. Not enough legislative accomplishments

Trump has a few big wins from Congress, like the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act and the rapid confirmation of federal judges, including two Supreme Court justices.

But he has also failed to accomplish a number of different things through Congress, like the GOP's decade long promise to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, comprehensive immigration reform, and an infrastructure package.

An important aspect of running for reelection is ensuring the public is made aware of your accomplishments, and trying to have as many as possible.

6. A large Democratic field could produce a formidable opponent

Much like how Trump emerged from large field of Republican presidential candidates to go on to handily defeat Hillary Clinton in the electoral college, the Democrats have a massive number of candidates all vying for a shot at unseating him.

While it is still early in the race, the Democrats' nominee could end up being far more challenging for Trump than Clinton.

7. Bad polling in crucial states

Trump is underwater in one of the most important states he won in 2016: Texas. According to a recent poll from Quinnipiac University, the Lone Star State prefers former Vice President Joe Biden to Trump, with other Democratic candidates not far behind.

If those trends continue, it could be very difficult for Trump to secure reelection.

8. Trump's tariff policies could inflict unwanted damage on Americans

Trump's policies using tariffs to hammer other countries and bring them to the negotiating table have adverse effects on the US economy.

The tariffs on China could end up costing American households $US800 each year, according to recent estimates. This is due to many US companies potentially having to raise prices of their goods to keep up with the trade war.

9. Foreign negotiations could break down

Trump pulled off what no US president before him had been able to accomplish when he set up multiple in person meetings with North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un to negotiate denuclearization of the isolated country.

But talks have since floundered while the North Koreans started testing short range ballistic missiles after months of calm.

If negotiations deteriorate, that could undermine Trump's foreign policy clout he has tried to cultivate in the past two years.

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: 9 reasons why Trump could lose reelection in 2020
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2019 at 1:53pm

10. He might not be alive

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Jun 8th, 2019 at 8:51am

There is a demographic who voted for Obama in 2012 and Trump in 2016 and I doubt that they will vote for Trump again ...

if their numbers are great enough in a handful of key states, Trump will lose.

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jun 8th, 2019 at 7:43pm

AiA wrote on Jun 8th, 2019 at 8:51am:
There is a demographic who voted for Obama in 2012 and Trump in 2016 and I doubt that they will vote for Trump again ...

if their numbers are great enough in a handful of key states, Trump will lose.

And I'm sure that if he does, he will be gracious in defeat.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jun 8th, 2019 at 7:58pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jun 7th, 2019 at 1:53pm:

I hope he is, though.

I don't want him dying any time soon.

I'd much rather see him live to 100, rotting in a damp prison cell somewhere.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jun 8th, 2019 at 8:35pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jun 8th, 2019 at 7:58pm:

I hope he is, though.

Alas, Greggery, that's not how it works. Mr Trump will get another term and serve out the statute of limitations.

The Democrats will forever regret their missed opportunity to win the erection and put Mr Trump in jail.

Let's face it, the game's RIGGED.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jun 8th, 2019 at 9:00pm

You have a greater chance of preceding him.

IP Logged

SerialBrain9
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jun 8th, 2019 at 9:30pm

9 reasons of wishful thinking  Grin

No one would be stupid enough to take that seriously - oh wait - you got AIAs hopes up again  Grin

Beware the Fury of a Patient Man.

IP Logged

Richdude
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NC
Reply #8 - Jun 9th, 2019 at 12:07am

I hope he is, though.

Not much chance of that with the current investigation into the FBI, CIA, DOJ and Clinton foundations.

As Hillary said "if I get indited I will take half of Washington with me". Another quote "if that bastard wins we'll all hang". Does that sound like an innocent or guilty person?

No, my low informational friend - Trump will go down as a great President.

The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.”

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jun 9th, 2019 at 6:52am

Richdude wrote on Jun 9th, 2019 at 12:07am:

I hope he is, though.

Not much chance of that with the current investigation into the FBI, CIA, DOJ and Clinton foundations.

As Hillary said "if I get indited I will take half of Washington with me". Another quote "if that bastard wins we'll all hang". Does that sound like an innocent or guilty person?

No, my low informational friend - Trump will go down as a great President.

Lol    Grin

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jun 9th, 2019 at 8:24am

Bwahahaha.

Hey freediver....if trump goes back to office in 2020 then just delete peccary from this forum.
He won't stand by his word so he needs a superior to do it for him. Typical Aussie SJW. 🤣🤣🤣

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jun 9th, 2019 at 9:21am

Captain Caveman wrote on Jun 9th, 2019 at 8:24am:
Bwahahaha.

Hey freediver....if trump goes back to office in 2020 then just delete peccary from this forum.
He won't stand by his word so he needs a superior to do it for him. Typical Aussie SJW. 🤣🤣🤣

You must have mistaken me for someone else, old boy.

I have always predicted that Trump will win a second term.

Here, copy & paste it if you like:

greggerypeccary: "I believe that Donald Trump will win the US Presidential election in 2020".

Not sure how much clearer I can make that for you.

Perhaps English isn't your first language, and that's where the confusion lies.

If that's the case, I apologise - it's always difficult learning a new language.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print