Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The British were lucky to win the Battle of Britain (Read 2055 times)
Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Re: The British were lucky to win the Battle of Britain
Reply #15 - May 5th, 2019 at 4:12pm

And where the Russians were concerned, it was the Russian WINTER which destroyed the Germans on the eastern front, together with the lunatic who ignored the advice of his generals.

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #16 - May 5th, 2019 at 4:18pm

Fuzzball wrote on May 5th, 2019 at 4:02pm:
British RADAR contributed for a great part to the winning of The Battle of Britain, and of course British, Polish, Canadian and Australian pilots who were waiting for them (the Krauts).

You blobby know cluck all......

Is that all you know?
Everyone knows that.

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #17 - May 5th, 2019 at 4:19pm

Bobby. wrote on May 5th, 2019 at 4:18pm:
British RADAR contributed for a great part to the winning of The Battle of Britain, and of course British, Polish, Canadian and Australian pilots who were waiting for them (the Krauts).

Is that all you know?
Everyone knows that.

I know hell of a lot more that you, you old fool......and it's funny how you made NO mention of that........you're full of it......

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #18 - May 5th, 2019 at 4:24pm

Fuzzball wrote on May 5th, 2019 at 4:19pm:
Bobby. wrote on May 5th, 2019 at 4:18pm:

Is that all you know?
Everyone knows that.

I know hell of a lot more that you, you old fool......and it's funny how you made NO mention of that........you're full of it......

Tell us something we don't know.
We all know about radar,
we know about enigma etc.

I was trying to put a different picture on it -
looking from outside the box and
saying that it should never have happened.

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #19 - May 5th, 2019 at 4:28pm

Just goes to show what a fool you are blobby, the 'Enigma' code machine was to do with U-Boats and Allied Convoys, not The Battle of Britain ....you fkwit....

And for your information, my father was a sergeant pilot during The Battle of Britain............but then I could just be spouting schit like you couldn't I........

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #20 - May 5th, 2019 at 4:35pm

Fuzzball wrote on May 5th, 2019 at 4:28pm:
Just goes to show what a fool you are blobby, the 'Enigma' code machine was to do with U-Boats and Allied Convoys, not The Battle of Britain ....you fkwit....

And for your information, my father was a sergeant pilot during The Battle of Britain............but then I could just be spouting schit like you couldn't I........

Wait till Brian turns up and sees all you ad hominem abuse.
By the way - the POMs were cracking the German codes during the battle of Britain.
I expect an apology.

https://www.gchq.gov.uk/information/how-codebreakers-helped-fight-battle-britain

The first major breakthrough in the regular decryption of German traffic during World War II was the reading of Luftwaffe messages from the spring of 1940 onwards.

The Germans used Enigma, as well as other lower-grade encryption systems, and analysts at Bletchley Park and RAF Cheadle were increasingly able throughout the Battle of Britain to give indicators and warnings to Fighter Command to allow it to target its scant resources against the German Air Force.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #21 - May 5th, 2019 at 4:40pm

Fuzzball wrote on May 5th, 2019 at 4:39pm:
Bobby. wrote on May 5th, 2019 at 4:35pm:
Fuzzball wrote on May 5th, 2019 at 4:28pm:

Wait till Brian turns up and sees all you ad hominem abuse.
By the way - the POMs were cracking the German codes during the battle of Britain.
I expect an apology.

https://www.gchq.gov.uk/information/how-codebreakers-helped-fight-battle-britain

The first major breakthrough in the regular decryption of German traffic during World War II was the reading of Luftwaffe messages from the spring of 1940 onwards.

The Germans used Enigma, as well as other lower-grade encryption systems, and analysts at Bletchley Park and RAF Cheadle were increasingly able throughout the Battle of Britain to give indicators and warnings to Fighter Command to allow it to target its scant resources against the German Air Force.

Go suck your thumb you silly old twit......

You are wrong about enigma -

now apologise.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: The British were lucky to win the Battle of Britai
Reply #22 - May 5th, 2019 at 5:11pm

Good to see that the thread is back.

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #23 - May 5th, 2019 at 5:35pm

The British were lucky, however their luck came because they were prepared to sacrifice their land army, the BEF, in Europe rather than sacrifice the defence of their country.  The RAF sent only a light force of fighters and those were Hawker Hurricanes to their advance striking force in France before the Germans invaded.   When it came to the BEF retreating to Dunkirk, they sent only light patrols to protect them.  This mean that their main force of fighters - Spitfires and Hurricanes were available to face the German onslaught.

The Germans were aware of radar but did not attach sufficient importance to it.  They attacked the Chain Home stations which were the radar stations on the first few days of the Battle of Britain and while they damaged several,  the stations had sufficient overlap so they could continue reporting on the German raids and directed the fighters to engage them while repairs were effected.

The Germans greatest mistake was lacking a long range fighter with sufficient range to fight over most of Southern England.  The Bf110 was a failure as a long range fighter.  They would have been much better off with the Fw187 twin engined fighters.  Their Bf109 fighters lacked sufficient range to stay on station and engage the RAF's fighters and protect the Luftwaffe's bombers.  The advantage was all the RAFs.

The Germans were unlucky in that they were fighting over enemy territory.  This mean that an aircraft shot down, was a loss not only of the aircraft but more importantly, the crew to the PoW camps.  The RAF was fighting over home ground and had many aircraft shot down and aircrew were back in the air within days, this meant all they need to do was make sure sufficient fighters were available to them.

The Enigma code breaking effort was important but they weren't breaking sufficient codes, fast enough for it to affect a battle until the invasion of Crete in 1941.  They had to develop and duplicate the Polish Bombes - a mechanical code breaking device the Poles took first to France and then to England.   They weren't really reading German codes properly until early 1943.   Before then, their code breaking was spotty and took time.  By 1945, they were reading the German codes in near real time, thanks to Colossus - the first electronic computer designed by Alan Turing.  Along the way, the capture of various enigma machines helped a great deal as well.

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #24 - May 5th, 2019 at 5:52pm

Thanks Brian,
here's another video mostly about the Battle of Britain:

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #25 - May 5th, 2019 at 6:05pm

Fuzzball wrote on May 5th, 2019 at 4:12pm:
And where the Russians were concerned, it was the Russian WINTER which destroyed the Germans on the eastern front, together with the lunatic who ignored the advice of his generals.

True. If the Germans had not invaded the Balkans, they would have sufficient time to capture Moscow.  The result was a four week delay to Barbarossa.  Those four weeks were critical.  Coupled with the decision that ammunition and fuel were more important than Winter clothing for the troops doing the fighting meant that the Germans often literally froze to death.   "Colonel Mud" and "General Winter" were sufficient to delay the German attempt to take Moscow.

There was also a problem with Strategic indecision on the part of the German High Command.  They couldn't make their mind up whether they wanted to attack Moscow or the Caucasus where the Soviet oil was.  The result was a switching of priorities, with a massive movement of troops and vehicles from the north to the south of Russia.

When coupled with Hitler's refusal to allow retreat, it mean many Germans died unnecessarily.  Something we can all be thankful for.

« Last Edit: May 5th, 2019 at 8:35pm by Brian Ross »  

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #26 - May 5th, 2019 at 6:22pm

Brian Ross wrote on May 5th, 2019 at 6:05pm:
Fuzzball wrote on May 5th, 2019 at 4:12pm:

True. If the Germans had not invaded the Balkans, they would have sufficient time to capture Moscow.  The result was a four week delay to Barbarossa.  Those four weeks were critical.  Coupled with the decision that ammunition and fuel were more important an Winter clothing for the troops doing the fighting meant that the Germans often literally froze to death.   "Colonel Mud" and "General Winter" were sufficient to delay the German attempt to take Moscow.

There was also a problem with Strategic indecision on the part of the German High Command.  They couldn't make their mind up whether they wanted to attack Moscow or the Caucasus where the Soviet oil was.  The result was a switching of priorities, with a massive movement of troops and vehicles from the north to the south of Russia.

When coupled with Hitler's refusal to allow retreat, it mean many Germans died unnecessarily.  Something we can all be thankful for.

But then again - oil was very important.
Hitler's army couldn't move without it.
What really got the Germans was that the Russians moved all their factories out of reach in the Urals.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - May 5th, 2019 at 8:03pm

Brian Ross wrote on May 5th, 2019 at 5:35pm:
thanks to Colossus - the first electronic computer designed by Alan Turing.

Was Colossus designed by Alan Turing or Tommy Flowers?

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #28 - May 5th, 2019 at 8:05pm

The 'Difference' between Germany and Britain winning the 'Who's the Bad Guy' war in Europe was that Britain had some former 'colonies' of its, come and help it. Where as no 'German' colonies or former colonies came and help it.

There is absolutely no other reason besides this as well.
Germany tried to be the 'USA' of Europe.
But it ended up being Britain.
The irony is - that Europe as a whole, is no USA and that's where Britain will find its destiny at the hall of the United Islam/Israel Empire.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #29 - May 5th, 2019 at 8:34pm

Bias_2012 wrote on May 5th, 2019 at 8:03pm:
Brian Ross wrote on May 5th, 2019 at 5:35pm:
thanks to Colossus - the first electronic computer designed by Alan Turing.

Was Colossus designed by Alan Turing or Tommy Flowers?

Alan Turing produced the theoretical design.  Tommy Flowers, along with Harry Fensom, Allen Coombs, Sid Broadhurst and Bill Chandler built it.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print